[GUIDE] Injecting CWM into any kdz update

Search This thread

roltzy

May 13, 2008
Hey guys,

I've managed to devise a method to inject the CWM recovery image into the LG Update tool during updating with a kdz.

The basic idea is explained in this post. I took it a bit further. During the updating process, you can replace the recovery image inside the updater's memory. Basically, you can use this method on any LG Updating tool. This guide uses KDZ Updater. The method is great for getting the latest firmware for your region and still get it rooted.

This procedure requires some quick actions in order to succeed. Read through it before attempting to flash. I'm not responsible for anything that might happen in the result of using this guide.

Needed files:
CWMInject
UPK
Latest CWM recovery image for P970
Cheat Engine

1. Run KDZ Updater from UPK with Windows Enabler on.
Select your KDZ file.

2. Run CWMInject with Admin privileges. Select KDZU process. Set CWM image to the recovery image file.

3. Run Cheat Engine. Select KDZU process. Change Value Type to Text and write ANDROID! in the search field.

4. Open Task Manager, go to Processes and sort processes by memory.

5. In KDZ Updater, press Launch software update.

6. Keep an eye on the KDZU process in Task Manager, if it starts growing, it means it has started to load the files into memory and you can move to the next step.

7. In Cheat Engine, press First Scan. If it doesn't find anything, you did this too early. It should find 3 addresses. The last one is what you need.
20ub90p.jpg

8. Copy the found address to CWMInject and press Write Memory. This needs to be done as quickly as possible from the time of finding the addresses.
dw97pc.jpg

9. Finish flashing.

Now your phone has CWM recovery installed. You can get into it with "adb reboot recovery". You need the Android SDK for that.
To root your phone, put this Superuser.zip on your SD card and use CWM to flash it.

You don't necessarily have to use KDZ Update. I tried this method with R&D Test Tool and the regular LG Mobile software update. You just need the right process name for CWMInject and Cheat Engine.

Last edited:

adxgrave

Dec 24, 2011
That is excellent man. Bin files? Nobody need it anyway. Lol. Profit!

Sent from my LG-P970 using XDA App

1aca

Jan 14, 2012
Confirmed, working with V20F from Orange Romania, using R&D Tool.

CWMInject.exe needs to be run as administrator, in case you're using Win as a non-privileged user.

As an interesting sidenote, I forgot to do a factory reset before (coming from Zeus v4.01b), so I got a bootloop. Easy way to get rid of that: flash a V10 based firmware, it won't recognize the ext4 data partition -> no bootloop. Did a factory reset from there, then repeated the flashing for V20F. Worked like a charm.

roltzy

May 13, 2008
Great to see it working for everybody!;)

If you're feeling adventurous, you can test my updated CWMInject. It has a built in memory scanner, so you can just press Start after you've started updating.

Edit:
Oh yeah, it requires .Net Framework 4 now...

Last edited:

1aca

Jan 14, 2012
Great to see it working for everybody!;)

If you're feeling adventurous, you can test my updated CWMInject. It has a built in memory scanner, so you can just press Start after you've started updating.

Edit:
Oh yeah, it requires .Net Framework 4 now...

Very nice. I guess the Cheat Engine is no more required.

ETA: maybe it would be a good idea to specify in the manifest that it requires admin privileges.

roltzy

May 13, 2008
Yeah, good idea.

I guess not everybody disables UAC as the first thing after installing Windows:D

Inferbubu

Jan 21, 2012
Awesome! With R&D... the process is "LGUserCSTool". After flashing it boots directly to CWM. :)

CSE Web upgrade test: (Small server)(for a factory reset)
RD.png

I have a Question!... When is the best moment to aply CWMInject?? i want to use R&

i solve the question, really works so great!!!

Last edited:

roltzy

May 13, 2008
I've usually applied it around the 10% mark, so it gets done at 16% or so. It's worked every time, for all the updating software, since the underlying flashing process seems to be the same for each one.

advptg

Aug 25, 2010
Didnt work with V20B_00.kdz for India

I did everything as stated in the first post. The Memory of recovery-clockwork-touch-5.8.1.3-p970 was also injected successfully within 10% of flashing. And phone rebooted with new the rom. However, I am not able to get into the CWM. I tried the vol+ hard key while booting, but CWM is not coming. Help!

netum

Jul 11, 2011
I did everything as stated in the first post. The Memory of recovery-clockwork-touch-5.8.1.3-p970 was also injected successfully within 10% of flashing. And phone rebooted with new the rom. However, I am not able to get into the CWM. I tried the vol+ hard key while booting, but CWM is not coming. Help!

Hey guys ...
Now your phone has CWM recovery installed. You can get into it with "adb reboot recovery". You need the Android SDK for that...
for short messages

pk76

Dec 26, 2011
Prague - Czech Republic
It is simple. With CWM injection you can root every KDZ. And with KDZ firmware update fix, you can use R&D Tool and flash KDZ to your phone.

Last edited:

CyberManiaK

Feb 22, 2011
California
Nice thread.. My sister just got an optimus black, ( And i want to root it) does this method should be with the phone on download mode or what ??

Not very familiar with the way optimus root process is done. I own a GS2

EDIT: Well I did with the phone ON, and USB debug mode ON,/ OFF, also have tried doing [Remove battery,sim,SD] hit vol up and inert the usb cable to enter in download mode.. But always when I click Launch Software Update when it starts to decompress the KDZ file it just got frozen, and (Not Responding)

Any clue ? I´m trying to root a v20a (mexican) version.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey guys,

I've managed to devise a method to inject the CWM recovery image into the LG Update tool during updating with a kdz.

The basic idea is explained in this post. I took it a bit further. During the updating process, you can replace the recovery image inside the updater's memory. Basically, you can use this method on any LG Updating tool. This guide uses KDZ Updater. The method is great for getting the latest firmware for your region and still get it rooted.

This procedure requires some quick actions in order to succeed. Read through it before attempting to flash. I'm not responsible for anything that might happen in the result of using this guide.

Needed files:
    CWMInject
    UPK
    Latest CWM recovery image for P970
    Cheat Engine

1. Run KDZ Updater from UPK with Windows Enabler on.
    Select your KDZ file.

2. Run CWMInject with Admin privileges. Select KDZU process. Set CWM image to the recovery image file.

3. Run Cheat Engine. Select KDZU process. Change Value Type to Text and write ANDROID! in the search field.

4. Open Task Manager, go to Processes and sort processes by memory.

5. In KDZ Updater, press Launch software update.

6. Keep an eye on the KDZU process in Task Manager, if it starts growing, it means it has started to load the files into memory and you can move to the next step.

7. In Cheat Engine, press First Scan. If it doesn't find anything, you did this too early. It should find 3 addresses. The last one is what you need.
    20ub90p.jpg

8. Copy the found address to CWMInject and press Write Memory. This needs to be done as quickly as possible from the time of finding the addresses.
    dw97pc.jpg

9. Finish flashing.

Now your phone has CWM recovery installed. You can get into it with "adb reboot recovery". You need the Android SDK for that.
    To root your phone, put this Superuser.zip on your SD card and use CWM to flash it.

You don't necessarily have to use KDZ Update. I tried this method with R&D Test Tool and the regular LG Mobile software update. You just need the right process name for CWMInject and Cheat Engine.
    Awesome! With R&D... the process is "LGUserCSTool". After flashing it boots directly to CWM. :)

CSE Web upgrade test: (Small server)(for a factory reset)
    RD.png
    Updated the first post with the guide. Cheers:D
    I can't open CWMInject, I'm on Windows XP...

Do you have .NET framework installed?
    not what I did wrong, now my phone does not start :mad: this brick

Can you get into the "S/W" mode ?
    turn the phone off, keep pressing the volume+ button while you plug in the USB cable, does the phone turn on in S/W mode ?
    If so, then you can flash a firmware again.

More info on the dedicated thread related to flashing with SmartFlash : http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1448803

P.S. from what I've read it's really hard if not impossible to brick the OB just by flashing, so the chances are you can recover your phone without too much hassle.