• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[GUIDE] Install official ICS update and keep S-OFF, RECOVERY and ROOT

Search This thread

mirok

Dec 5, 2009
Zagreb
This guide is for users with S-OFF hboot (if you are not sure, check it - power on your DesireS holding volume down button). If you have S-ON hboot, first search for an adequate guide on "how to S-OFF" topic (maybe this one will help), apply it and then come back.
Any S-OFF hboot users, feel free to proceed.

First of all, nandroid.

Next; ofcourse you must have htc drivers installed and android tools on your pc. If you don't, here's the guide:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1272595

If you have an old hboot (6.98.xxxx or 0.98.2000), this is why you must first upgrade to 2.00.2002...
Bad news for the owners of old hboots (6.98.xxxx and 0.98.2000), including myself: system + libs = 644 MB, so the new ROM will be flashable only on the new ones >= 2.00.2002, or it has to be excessively cleaned (to delete 100+ MB or move some apps to /data)

If you have 7.00.1002 S-OFF hboot or you already have 2.00.2002 S-OFF hboot skip right to B) section.
If you have older S-OFF hboot, continue:

A) flash 2.00.2002 hboot

first of all
This is dangerous!!! Use it your own risk!!!!!
Download attached hboot.img file and...
1. Alphareved hacked hboot have version 6.xx.xxxx and we can't upgrade it to 2.00.2002 throught PG88IMG.zip and not even fastboot flash hboot hboot.img

the way to flash new hboot is:
a) copy new hboot.img to sdcard
b)reboot into recovery
b1)In cmd run the following commands (after each command press enter):
adb devices
adb shell
su
c)backup your alpharev hboot:
dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p18 of=/sdcard/backup.img
d) flash new hboot:
dd if=/sdcard/hboot.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p18
reboot to hboot and check your hboot version it must be something like this
***LOCKED***
PVT SAGA ENG
bla bla bla
edit: if you got "can't open '/sdcard/hboot.img': No such file or directory" error; try this before the rest of the commands:
Code:
adb shell mount /sdcard
note: If after typing "su" you get an error, just proceed, it's ok.

B) Flash PG88IMG.zip

Download a PG88IMG.zip file from the link Grand2k posted...
RUU for fastboot for devices s-off to save s-off

flash on hboot 2.xxx or 7.xxx

1. download, copy to a sdcard
2. reboot into bootloader
3. click yes and wait 10 minutes

Download: PG88IMG.zip
Yes, S-OFF and RECOVERY will be intact! ;)

When update is finished - reboot, then configure ICS and delete PG88IMG.zip from SDcard.
Turn off device and go to recovery; now you can install SU:

C) Install SU

Flash CWM-SuperSU-v0.95.zip from recovery:
Reboot.

...and then busybox... amidabuddha's kernel (highly recomended)... Setcpu... Titanium...

...and, if you don't like it; nandroid ;)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Few hints (tweaks and bug fixes) for offical ICS rom:

-Install amidabuddha's Tweaked3 8.6 [3.0.43] kernel.

-App crashes when you click on a link.
Edit build.prop file. Search for ro.da1.enable=true in the file, set it to false and then add this line right after it: ro.da1.method=false

-Change default setting to turn WiFi off when phone is locked.
Change it to always on. It reduces power consumption. You can find this option in advanced WiFi settings.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Attachments

• hboot.img
    1 MB · Views: 4,200
Last edited:

Constantly

Apr 21, 2011
But a custom ROM will work with 7.000.1002?

Tapatalked from my Desire S using IceColdSandwich :)

eternalfrozen

Jun 16, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
What about for htcdev unlock user?how to update it?do I need to flash the boot image via cmd or just follow your installation instruction?I am on the 2.xxxx hboot.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using xda premium

Reactions: userdesires

remusator

Jul 5, 2012
Is this worth it ? So you are saying - no flashable zip nor other ways on 0.98... or 6.98...
Is there a step back possible ? (revert to fully working 2.10.401.9 flashable zip) ?

Im quite confused from instructions provided. Can you detail it more ? Please.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

remusator

Jul 5, 2012
Ok,
first i have to say thanks ! Big big THANK YOU ;))

I didn't have to type su (it replied, that command is not available), because after typing adb shell, i had ~#:

But, is it okay, that mine bootloader became locked again ? I am S-OFF, but first line says ***LOCKED***.
*** LOCKED ***
SAGA PVT ENG S-OFF RL
HBOOT-2.00.2002 (PG881000)
RADIO-3831.19.00.110
eMMc-boot
Aug 12 2011.20:40:03

Reactions: horaceCJ

mirok

Dec 5, 2009
Zagreb
What about for htcdev unlock user?how to update it?do I need to flash the boot image via cmd or just follow your installation instruction?I am on the 2.xxxx hboot.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using xda premium

For htcdev unlocked users, there is no easy way if you want S-OFF.
Search for a guide how to do it.

Is this worth it ? So you are saying - no flashable zip nor other ways on 0.98... or 6.98...
Is there a step back possible ? (revert to fully working 2.10.401.9 flashable zip) ?

Im quite confused from instructions provided. Can you detail it more ? Please.

This is the easiest way :p
If you don't like this official rom, you can flash from recovery any other rom you like...
or you can do nandroid backup before flashing PG88IMG.zip from bootloader and revert to it after :)

Ok,
first i have to say thanks ! Big big THANK YOU ;))

I didn't have to type su (it replied, that command is not available), because after typing adb shell, i had ~#:

But, is it okay, that mine bootloader became locked again ? I am S-OFF, but first line says ***LOCKED***.
*** LOCKED ***
SAGA PVT ENG S-OFF RL
HBOOT-2.00.2002 (PG881000)
RADIO-3831.19.00.110
eMMc-boot
Aug 12 2011.20:40:03

It's ok if it says "locked". Just S-OFF part counts.
SU line error is also ok. Worked for me the same way.

Last edited:

remusator

Jul 5, 2012
Ok, to sum things up.
Overall I'm bit (actually quite lot) dissapointed - after so long waiting. The sense is laggy - HTC don't tell me, that my phone is not capable of running sense 3.6 smooth. On ice DS it was way smoother..

Now to the point.
1, Can i still use 4ext as i am used to ? Backup my whole ROM, install another and if i don't like, restore backup ?
2, Will the battery percentage mod work for this ? If yes, can you please link the correct mod ?

mirok

Dec 5, 2009
Zagreb
Ok, to sum things up.
Overall I'm bit (actually quite lot) dissapointed - after so long waiting. The sense is laggy - HTC don't tell me, that my phone is not capable of running sense 3.6 smooth. On ice DS it was way smoother..

Now to the point.
1, Can i still use 4ext as i am used to ? Backup my whole ROM, install another and if i don't like, restore backup ?
2, Will the battery percentage mod work for this ? If yes, can you please link the correct mod ?

1. Yes
2. No

amidabuddha

Jun 26, 2011
Just tested the guide just to have the latest firmware. Worked great. Thanks again to the OP

First impressions: my Virtuous Infinity with the OC kernel is smoother, despite Sense 4 is much heavier than Sense 3.6.
Restored my backup immediately :)

Sent from my HTC Desire S

Reactions: mirok

vndnguyen

Sep 11, 2009
Vinnitsa
Hi mirok,

My phone's details:

***UNLOCKED***
SAGA PVT SHIP S-OFF RL
HBOOT-2.00.0002
RADIO-3822.10.08.04_M
eMMC-boot
Aug 22 2011, 15:22:13

1. Do I need to upgrade hboot to 2.00.2002 ?
2. Can I use goldcard and PG88IMG.zip to install the official update?

mirok

Dec 5, 2009
Zagreb
Hi mirok,

My phone's details:

***UNLOCKED***
SAGA PVT SHIP S-OFF RL
HBOOT-2.00.0002
RADIO-3822.10.08.04_M
eMMC-boot
Aug 22 2011, 15:22:13

1. Do I need to upgrade hboot to 2.00.2002 ?
2. Can I use goldcard and PG88IMG.zip to install the official update?

1. No
2. Just download PG88IMG.zip, place it to sdcard and reboot to bootloader.

Reactions: vndnguyen

remusator

Jul 5, 2012
One moar question.
Do i need to recalibrate battery after following those steps ?

PS: Seems, that GPS reception improved dramatically after this update !

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This guide is for users with S-OFF hboot (if you are not sure, check it - power on your DesireS holding volume down button). If you have S-ON hboot, first search for an adequate guide on "how to S-OFF" topic (maybe this one will help), apply it and then come back.
    Any S-OFF hboot users, feel free to proceed.

First of all, nandroid.

Next; ofcourse you must have htc drivers installed and android tools on your pc. If you don't, here's the guide:
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1272595

If you have an old hboot (6.98.xxxx or 0.98.2000), this is why you must first upgrade to 2.00.2002...
    Bad news for the owners of old hboots (6.98.xxxx and 0.98.2000), including myself: system + libs = 644 MB, so the new ROM will be flashable only on the new ones >= 2.00.2002, or it has to be excessively cleaned (to delete 100+ MB or move some apps to /data)

If you have 7.00.1002 S-OFF hboot or you already have 2.00.2002 S-OFF hboot skip right to B) section.
    If you have older S-OFF hboot, continue:

A) flash 2.00.2002 hboot

first of all
    This is dangerous!!! Use it your own risk!!!!!
    Download attached hboot.img file and...
    1. Alphareved hacked hboot have version 6.xx.xxxx and we can't upgrade it to 2.00.2002 throught PG88IMG.zip and not even fastboot flash hboot hboot.img

the way to flash new hboot is:
    a) copy new hboot.img to sdcard
    b)reboot into recovery
    b1)In cmd run the following commands (after each command press enter):
    adb devices
    adb shell
    su
    c)backup your alpharev hboot:
    dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p18 of=/sdcard/backup.img
    d) flash new hboot:
    dd if=/sdcard/hboot.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p18
    reboot to hboot and check your hboot version it must be something like this
    ***LOCKED***
    PVT SAGA ENG
    bla bla bla
    edit: if you got "can't open '/sdcard/hboot.img': No such file or directory" error; try this before the rest of the commands:
    Code:
    adb shell mount /sdcard
    note: If after typing "su" you get an error, just proceed, it's ok.

B) Flash PG88IMG.zip

Download a PG88IMG.zip file from the link Grand2k posted...
    RUU for fastboot for devices s-off to save s-off

flash on hboot 2.xxx or 7.xxx

1. download, copy to a sdcard
    2. reboot into bootloader
    3. click yes and wait 10 minutes

Download: PG88IMG.zip
    Yes, S-OFF and RECOVERY will be intact! ;)

When update is finished - reboot, then configure ICS and delete PG88IMG.zip from SDcard.
    Turn off device and go to recovery; now you can install SU:

C) Install SU

Flash CWM-SuperSU-v0.95.zip from recovery:
    Reboot.

...and then busybox... amidabuddha's kernel (highly recomended)... Setcpu... Titanium...

...and, if you don't like it; nandroid ;)

Few hints (tweaks and bug fixes) for offical ICS rom:

-Install amidabuddha's Tweaked3 8.6 [3.0.43] kernel.

-App crashes when you click on a link.
    Edit build.prop file. Search for ro.da1.enable=true in the file, set it to false and then add this line right after it: ro.da1.method=false

-Change default setting to turn WiFi off when phone is locked.
    Change it to always on. It reduces power consumption. You can find this option in advanced WiFi settings.

Apologies for the late reply - was away!

Here's what I did to switch from S-ON locked HBOOT 2.02.0002 (which came with the ICS RUU) to S-OFF ENG HBOOT (2.00.2002):

1. Unlock bootloader using (HTCDEV).
    2. Flash custom recovery (I used this).
    3. Flash SuperUser (attached).
    4. Modify the version of your phone (use this guide but jump to the section: "Modifying the version of your phone").
    5. Continue to follow the above guide ensuring to RE-LOCK your bootloader.
    6. Download a suitable OLD rom (one that matches your phone's CID: Mine is EU so I used "RUU_Saga_HTC_Europe_1.28.401.1".
    7. Run the RUU to flash the OLD ROM. The RUU window (on your PC) MUST detect your currently installed ICS ROM as the OLD number you put in step (4) above (i.e. 1.27.405.6 NOT 14.01.401.2).
    8. Once the RUU has finished, you should now be S-ON with HBOOT 0.98.2000.
    9. Root your old ROM (e.g. SuperOneClick)
    10. Do NOT restart your phone! Simply flash S-OFF ENG HBOOT (2.00.2002).
    11. You should now have the S-OFF ENG HBOOT (2.00.2002) and your old ROM. Flash custom recovery again (if necessary).

This should help people with S-ON. Thank you :)

From S-ON locked HBOOT 2.02.0002 (official ICS RUU) to S-OFF ENG HBOOT (2.00.2002)

hello
    I would really like you to explain your method to return to S-OFF.
    Thank you in advance for your help.

I have flashed the ICS RUU on my S-on, unrooted & locked DS and have the HBoot mentioned above and it is working ok, but would like to get back to S-off and root, (as I was Alpharev S-off'd before I sent it back to be fixed by HTC - I relocked and S-on'd to send back).
    I have seen quite a few guides here regarding this but would be handy to know which guides and in which order worked for you please?

Apologies for the late reply - was away!

Here's what I did to switch from S-ON locked HBOOT 2.02.0002 (which came with the ICS RUU) to S-OFF ENG HBOOT (2.00.2002):

1. Unlock bootloader using (HTCDEV).
    2. Flash custom recovery (I used this).
    3. Flash SuperUser (attached).
    4. Modify the version of your phone (use this guide but jump to the section: "Modifying the version of your phone").
    5. Continue to follow the above guide ensuring to RE-LOCK your bootloader.
    6. Download a suitable OLD rom (one that matches your phone's CID: Mine is EU so I used "RUU_Saga_HTC_Europe_1.28.401.1".
    7. Run the RUU to flash the OLD ROM. The RUU window (on your PC) MUST detect your currently installed ICS ROM as the OLD number you put in step (4) above (i.e. 1.27.405.6 NOT 14.01.401.2).
    8. Once the RUU has finished, you should now be S-ON with HBOOT 0.98.2000.
    9. Root your old ROM (e.g. SuperOneClick)
    10. Do NOT restart your phone! Simply flash S-OFF ENG HBOOT (2.00.2002).
    11. You should now have the S-OFF ENG HBOOT (2.00.2002) and your old ROM. Flash custom recovery again (if necessary).
    12. Flash Ruu_saga_ICS_35_S_HTC_EU_14.01.401.2 without HBOOT nor recovery by simply following the OP in the current thread (download from here).
    13. (OPTIONAL) reflash SU to get root!

There you have it, S-OFF, custom recovery, root and official ICS :D

P.S. I take no credit for the great info in the guides llinked above. Thanks to all who developed the original ideas or contributed to them in anyway!
    for some reason, 02 files (hboot.img and recovery.img) has been removed from this PG88IMG.zip

For very good reason. The point of this whole thread is not to f**k up hboot and custom recovery.
    i have made a stock battery % mod here it is if anybody wants it

ps please add to op for easy access