• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[GUIDE] Install TWRP and Custom Roms on G800F

Search This thread

hedgegee

Oct 28, 2011
Hello

I had some problems with installing TWRP because there is no mirror for a flashable .zip file to our custom recovery. Also the flashing in ODIN caused a little headscrath but luckily some people of the forum helped me and i would like to help others - so here is a little guide.

Thanks to Bogeyof and another343.

Prerequisites
Stock device with stock recovery
Samsung drivers installed for your device

Download Odin above 3.09 (this guide is with 3.12) (others might work but i have best results in this version and above in general)
Download Odin TWRP Recovery (thanks to DJ_Steve) (It's linked in the attachements because of dead links in the other thread)
Download a custom rom of your choice (note the modelnumber of your device, ie. G800F)

1. Press and hold volume down, startbutton and power on button until the Samsung bootloader logo appears.
1. a. Now you are almost in download mode - press volume up once to be in download mode.

2. Plug the phone in with USB cabel.

3. Open Odin

4. Go to options (depending on the version) and remove the Auto Reset option but leave on the F. Reset time.

5. Press the AP button (depending on the version)

6. Find the recovery.tar.md5 file.

7. Make sure the phone is found in Odin (it will display in ID:COM and the Log)

8. Press Start (depending on the version) and it will start flashing - it will only take a couple of seconds.

9. Power down the phone and boot into recovery. (Volume up, startbutton and power on until logo appears)

Now you are in TWRP recovery.

I will update this guide at a later time. Any suggestions are valued. :fingers-crossed:

Last edited:

sunciks

Sep 4, 2015
Can not get the TWRP 3.0.0

Where did you get TWRP 3.0.0, all the links I could find are dead.

maxthebuilder

Sep 14, 2010
Didn't work for me. Flashed. Odin showed that everything went fine but the phone still showing the green android picture and "Downloading... Do not turn off target!!"
If I power down and boot into recovery, I get the standard android recovery not TWRP..
: (

EDIT: My bad. Wrong buttons pressed. Everything is fine (I was doing Vol Down - Home - Power. Vol Up - Home - Power works)

Last edited:

aniksha

Sep 5, 2016
Worst case

I could NOT believe that this guide promote the worst case!!!
Running Stock Rom (5.11 from sammobile G800FXXU1BPE3) plus CF-Auto-Root-kminilte-kminiltexx-smg800f.tar.md5 and recovery.tar.md5.
Backup by TWRP 3.0 runs perfect, but the restore of that backup caused a hang on the start screen forever!!!!!!!
I had to flash everything again, lost all data, apps and settings (ended up like a factory reset), cause even a data restore ended up with the same hang at the start screen. Pretty ****ty that recommendation!!!!!!!!:D

Reactions: RicSou

hedgegee

Oct 28, 2011
Can you explain some more (maybe google translate?) its hard to understand what you mean? It has worked fine for others.

aniksha

Sep 5, 2016
Worst case

Can you explain some more (maybe google translate?) its hard to understand what you mean? It has worked fine for others.

Shure, tell me what you need to know (not just explain some more), cause all facts are mentioned!
What I mean is said as well - softbrick after restore!
If it worked for others fine, I gess they have not tried a restore, cause simply a backup by TWRP 3.0 is fine and does not show the disaster!!!!!

Here again:
S5 Mini - Lollipop 5.11 DBT Version (Germany) G800FXXU1BPE3 from Sammobile 2016-06-08
Rooted with unlocked Bootloader by Chainfire Version CF-Auto-Root-kminilte-kminiltexx-smg800f.tar.md5
all flashed by Odin
and than your Guide
TWRP Version recovery.tar.md5 downloaded from your guide side and flashed by Odin
So far no problem.
Backup by TWRP no problem.
Restore of that backup - softbrick!!! - phone hang on the start screen forever!!!!!!!
I can not make it more clear! :D

Reactions: RicSou

RicSou

Sep 23, 2012
Problem BootLoop TWRP 3.0 after restore backup

Shure, tell me what you need to know (not just explain some more), cause all facts are mentioned!
If it worked for others fine, I gess they have not tried a restore, cause simply a backup by TWRP 3.0 is fine and does not show the disaster!!!!!

Here again:
S5 Mini - Lollipop 5.11 DBT Version (Germany) G800FXXU1BPE3 from Sammobile 2016-06-08
Rooted with unlocked Bootloader by Chainfire Version CF-Auto-Root-kminilte-kminiltexx-smg800f.tar.md5
all flashed by Odin
and than your Guide
TWRP Version recovery.tar.md5 downloaded from your guide side and flashed by Odin
So far no problem.
Restore of that backup - softbrick!!! - phone hang on the start screen forever!!!!!!!

idem restoration with TWRP 3.0 produces eternal bootloop also in KitKat, perhaps TWRP 2.8 works well

aniksha

Sep 5, 2016
Bootloop at startscreen

idem restoration with TWRP 3.0 produces eternal bootloop also in KitKat, perhaps TWRP 2.8 works well

Hi RicSou,
Do you known any link for TWRP 2.8 (to flash with Odin) ???
Cause at the official TWRP side is no S5 Mini (G800F). Just S5 Neo, Plus, Qualcomm.
That's why I used the link from this guide side and I though that recommendation is fine (but it ended in a disaster).

lop1

restore nandroid backup

Hi,

is there a version of TWRP that can restore a nandroid backup ? I just see a lot of problems with the TWRP recovery and nobody seems to be able to do a working restore on a G800F .

somebody ? with which version ?? :eek:

I also tried TWRP 3.0 if I remember correctly posted by Steve and this recovery seriously destroyed my phone. I couldn't install any OS because most of time CRASH. I couldn't even turned on the phone again after installation of this file. - [ I ADVICE EVERY ONE TO NOT INSTALL THIS VERSION OF TWRP ] -

Greetings and Thank you G :cool:

aniksha

Sep 5, 2016
Backup solution by FlashFire

TWRP 3.0 and 2.8 fails to restore nandroid backup... and I can not find the reason for the failure, restore someone without problems?

Too many 'greenshorns' publish untested guides, that's the problem!

The only backup app, which does the job absolutely perfect on a G800F is FlashFire!
At least with my configuration (mention before in that threat).
Chainfire is serious and FlashFire an awesome app.
The best investment I ever made (Pro Version).

Even with a bootloop (and without TWRP) the job is done within 30 minutes.
Just flash the firmware (from sammobile with Odin) root it (by Chainfire with Odin), install FlashFire and run the FlashFire backup.
That works perfect !!!

FlashFire can also restore its own backup by TWRP, but there is no official TWRP Version for G800F !!!
I have not tested that option yet.

---------- Post added at 11:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:31 PM ----------

Hi,

is there a version of TWRP that can restore a nandroid backup ? I just see a lot of problems with the TWRP recovery and nobody seems to be able to do a working restore on a G800F .

somebody ? with which version ?? :eek:

Too many 'greenshorns' publish untested guides, that's the problem!

The only backup app, which does the job absolutely perfect on a G800F is FlashFire!
At least with my configuration (mention before in that threat).
Chainfire is serious and FlashFire an awesome app.
The best investment I ever made (Pro Version).

Even with a bootloop (and without TWRP) the job is done within 30 minutes.
Just flash the firmware (from sammobile with Odin) root it (by Chainfire with Odin), install FlashFire and run the FlashFire backup.
That works perfect !!!

FlashFire can also restore its own backup by TWRP, but there is no official TWRP Version for G800F !!!
I have not tested that option yet.

lop1

Tanks a lot for your answer. I fully trust a Chainfire solution ( highest respected android guy ), and you have used it without problems .
So this will be my solution for backup/restore , I am going to buy flash fire right away.

Best regards

aniksha

Sep 5, 2016
Dear hedgegee,

you have published that guide!

So let us know under which phone 'configuration' your superguide was working for you?

Have you made a restore by a TWRP backup ???

It is time for the truth now!

Like to hear from you.

damns5mini

Sep 30, 2016
Hi Dudes,

My S5 Mini won' accept the TWRP Flash with Odin. Whatever .tar i use, ODIN says "Pass" and after reboot i still get the original samsung recovery.
Samsung KIES is installed and disabled during installation. (for the drivers)
I used ODIN 3.10.6 and 3.12.3 and the linked twrp.

Any ideas?

Thx so far.

Adittional: My Samsung ROM is Nr. LMY47X.G800FXXU1BPE3 if i have to downgrade or smth...

EDIT: Problem solved. You need to flash CF-Autoroot first.

download.chainfire.eu/523/CF-Root/CF-Auto-Root/CF-Auto-Root-kminilte-kminiltexx-smg800f.zip

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello

I had some problems with installing TWRP because there is no mirror for a flashable .zip file to our custom recovery. Also the flashing in ODIN caused a little headscrath but luckily some people of the forum helped me and i would like to help others - so here is a little guide.

Thanks to Bogeyof and another343.

Prerequisites
    Stock device with stock recovery
    Samsung drivers installed for your device

Download Odin above 3.09 (this guide is with 3.12) (others might work but i have best results in this version and above in general)
    Download Odin TWRP Recovery (thanks to DJ_Steve) (It's linked in the attachements because of dead links in the other thread)
    Download a custom rom of your choice (note the modelnumber of your device, ie. G800F)

1. Press and hold volume down, startbutton and power on button until the Samsung bootloader logo appears.
    1. a. Now you are almost in download mode - press volume up once to be in download mode.

2. Plug the phone in with USB cabel.

3. Open Odin

4. Go to options (depending on the version) and remove the Auto Reset option but leave on the F. Reset time.

5. Press the AP button (depending on the version)

6. Find the recovery.tar.md5 file.

7. Make sure the phone is found in Odin (it will display in ID:COM and the Log)

8. Press Start (depending on the version) and it will start flashing - it will only take a couple of seconds.

9. Power down the phone and boot into recovery. (Volume up, startbutton and power on until logo appears)

Now you are in TWRP recovery.

I will update this guide at a later time. Any suggestions are valued. :fingers-crossed:
    No problem - i plan to upload Odin, etc. so everybody can have a working link.
    Worst case

I could NOT believe that this guide promote the worst case!!!
    Running Stock Rom (5.11 from sammobile G800FXXU1BPE3) plus CF-Auto-Root-kminilte-kminiltexx-smg800f.tar.md5 and recovery.tar.md5.
    Backup by TWRP 3.0 runs perfect, but the restore of that backup caused a hang on the start screen forever!!!!!!!
    I had to flash everything again, lost all data, apps and settings (ended up like a factory reset), cause even a data restore ended up with the same hang at the start screen. Pretty ****ty that recommendation!!!!!!!!:D
    Worst case

Here again:
    all flashed by Odin
    and than your Guide
    So far no problem.