Guide installing android apps on the lenovo smart clock 2.

Search This thread

willbilec

Jul 4, 2014
Google Pixel 4a
I haven't looked at this thread for a while; never thought it would get this much interest. Making some updates. Here is a new guide from ThomasPrioron GitHub, which makes a lot more sense than mine does.

ThomasPrior/LenovoSmartClock2: Root and configure a Lenovo Smart Clock 2 for use as a smart home display (github.com)

1. Set up the device using the Google Home app until the clock face is displayed on the device.

2. Open the Google Home app and navigate to the Devices tab at the bottom.

3. Select your smart clock from the list of available devices.

4. Tap the settings icon in the top right-hand corner.

5. Access the Accessibility menu and enable Screen Reader.

Use the calendar to download the launcher. This general process is well-demonstrated in a video by Cameron Gray (
). Another video is available here:
. My slightly differing process is outlined below:

Prepare a special calendar entry:

1. Using the account you are using to set up the device, open Google Calendar.

2. Create a new event in the future with a title consisting only of https://blakadder.com/assets/files/ultra-small-launcher.apk.

3. Instruct the clock to display upcoming events.

4. With the event on the screen, swipe sideways until the clock reads out the title of the event (https://blakadder.com/assets/files/ultra-small-launcher.apk).

5. Draw an "L" shape on the screen to open the TalkBack menu.

6. Swipe sideways until "Copy the last utterance to the clipboard" is selected, then double-tap to choose it.

7. Draw an "L" shape on the screen again to open the TalkBack menu.

8. Swipe to the right on the screen until "Open TalkBack settings" is selected, then double-tap to choose it.

9. You can now disable Screen Reader via the Google Home app on your phone; we won't need it again for a while.

10. Scroll to the bottom of the list. Near the end, you'll find "Privacy Policy." Tap it.

11. In the browser window that opens, grant the necessary permission prompts. We need storage access to download files using this browser.

12. Tap the address bar to select the URL. Tap again in the address bar and press the X button to clear it.

13. Long-press the address bar and paste the URL.

14. Long-press the URL again and press "Open."

15. The launcher will begin downloading, and you'll be directed to the Downloads folder.

16. Click the downloaded file to install the APK.

17. Follow the prompts to grant the browser permission to install the APK.

18. When prompted, set the newly installed launcher as the default.

Notes: There are two methods to reset the device:

1. Press and hold both volume keys until a reset window pops up.

2. While plugging in the clock, hold the volume-upbutton to enter fastboot. Use the volume upbutton to navigate the menu and volume down to select options.

An app called Key Mapperenables you to use the volume buttons as well as tap the device to perform actions like going back or returning home.

Key Mapper | F-Droid - Free and Open Source Android App Repository
Original guide.
Hello, in this guide I am going to describe how to side load android apps on the lenovo smart clock 2.

Requirements.

A device to use the google home app.

A List of apps you want to install, make sure you have a keyboard and home screen launcher in mind.

Not a requirement but basic understanding of the talk back screen reader will be helpful.

Next some things to be aware of.

While ADB is in developer settings I haven’t found a way to connect the clock to a pc using the dock I tried a usb C to A cable but that did not work.

The draw over other apps permission is unavailable.

Here are the specks that we are working with.

Processor

MediaTek™ MT8167S Processor (1.50 GHz)

Operating System

Android 10

Display Type

4.0" LCD IPS Touchscreen

Memory

1 GB

Hard Drive

8 GB Flash We have about 3.3 GB free.

Finally, I am visually impaired so the way I describe things may not make sense for some. If you have trouble understanding please let me know.

Note You are doing all this at your own risk. However, everything is easy to undo with a factory reset.

Instructions for factory resetting.

• Flip the mute switch to muted.
  • Press both volume buttons for ten seconds.
  • A window should now come up asking if you want to reset. If nothing is pressed the device will auto reset in a minute.
  • OK, let’s start.
  • Find a website where the apk is that you want to install.
  • Now find a way where that website will come up in a google search.
  • Note do to how google displays the search button may not be available, so we will have to rely on Google’s auto complete feature.
  • Examples:
  • If you were looking for nova launcher, you would be using nova launcher.ap we will want google to finish adding the K.
  • Add this word to your calendar. For example,nova launcher.ap
  • Make sure this is the same calendar that the clock is signed in to.
  • Next open the google home app. Find your device click on settings then accessibility.
  • Next click the switch next to screenreader.
Your clock should now start talking or making sounds.

If so, ask google “what’s on my calendar?” Swipe right until the event you added is spoken or highlighted.

Next swipe down and right in a single motion an L shape.

Swipe right until copy last utterance is selected double tap, if successful the menu should disappear.

It may take a few tries to get it.

Next open the same menu, (swipe down and right.)

Swipe until talkback settings is selected. Double tap again.

A new screen should appear.

Now swipe, swipe a lot until privacy policy is selected.

Double tap, a browser should now open.

Swipe and double tap to allow all the permissions.

Next swipe until google apps is selected. Double tap then find search and double tap to activate.

Find the search box, double tap to get into it.

Now swipe up and right in a single motion

If successful a new menu should come up. Find edit then activate paste.

If the text gets pasted in the search box, you can now turn off talkback.

Back on your phone flip the switch next to screenreader.

Now here is where things get difficult, the text should be in the box, But I was not able to see the search button with talkback. If you see the button, try turning off

talkback and pressing it

If the search button does not show up here is where you will have to rely on Google auto complete suggestions.

You should have a pretty good idea of what to do from here.

Note that when you download something a window will come up with all downloaded files. The first time you install an apk you will have to click allow from this source when that window comes up.

Notes.

I recommend you install something like nova launcher, for a replacement home screen.

When you install a replacement home screen you will have to click always on the new window that will pop up.

If you want to get back to the regular clock interface, launch the home app.

Any questions feal free to ask.

Remember doing a factory reset will clear all changes made.

Last edited:

willbilec

Jul 4, 2014
Google Pixel 4a
Most apps should work, since this is basically android 10, but here are some ideas.
1. Aurora Store
Allows you to download apps from google play without play services installed.
2. any voice recorder, you can record audio, but I recommend turning the microphone gain up since the microphone is a little quiet. Note, that when recording Google assistant will not be listening.
Ultimate alexa.
Allows amazon alexa to be used. with wake word and all.
4. Last launcher.
A simple and small launcher that will show all apps on one page.
The built in browser seems to work well.
You could also install youtube vanst so that youtube could work on the clock.

ggreenwood334

Mainly want to get the Google home app on there.

Need some help. Got nova launcher running. Then when I applied my nova settings, it went back to the Lenovo home screen. How do I get it back to nova? Lol

Nevermind. I found it.

Most apps should work, since this is basically android 10, but here are some ideas.
1. Aurora Store
2. any voice recorder, you can record audio, but I recommend turning the microphone gain up since the microphone is a little quiet. Note, that when recording Google assistant will not be listening.
Ultimate alexa.
4. Last launcher.
1. Aurora Store
Ultimate alexa.
4. Last launcher.
Is there a quick way to get back to nova launcher when I decide to be on the clock for a while.

willbilec

Jul 4, 2014
Google Pixel 4a
If you open the home app, not assistant core. their is a app called home, this app should allow you to get back to the default launcher if you do the back gesture.

Etan1

Apr 3, 2022
I am going to make a YouTube tutorial and how to connect Bluetooth keyboard! NOT USB !!!!!!DONGLE!!!!!!

Hash.H

Oct 22, 2014
Boston, MA
Hello, in this guide I am going to describe how to side load android apps on the lenovo smart clock 2.

Requirements.

A List of apps you want to install, make sure you have a keyboard and home screen launcher in mind.

Not a requirement but basic understanding of the talk back screen reader will be helpful.

While ADB is in developer settings I haven’t found a way to connect the clock to a pc using the dock I tried a usb C to A cable but that did not work.

Processor

Operating System

Android 10

Display Type

4.0" LCD IPS Touchscreen

Memory

1 GB

Hard Drive

Finally, I am visually impaired so the way I describe things may not make sense for some. If you have trouble understanding please let me know.

Note You are doing all this at your own risk. However, everything is easy to undo with a factory reset.

• A window should now come up asking if you want to reset. If nothing is pressed the device will auto reset in a minute.
  • OK, let’s start.
  • Note do to how google displays the search button may not be available, so we will have to rely on Google’s auto complete feature.
  • Examples:
  • If you were looking for nova launcher, you would be using nova launcher.ap we will want google to finish adding the K.
  • Next open the google home app. Find your device click on settings then accessibility.

If so, ask google “what’s on my calendar?” Swipe right until the event you added is spoken or highlighted.

Swipe right until copy last utterance is selected double tap, if successful the menu should disappear.

Next swipe until google apps is selected. Double tap then find search and double tap to activate.

Now here is where things get difficult, the text should be in the box, But I was not able to see the search button with talkback. If you see the button, try turning off

talkback and pressing it

If the search button does not show up here is where you will have to rely on Google auto complete suggestions.

Note that when you download something a window will come up with all downloaded files. The first time you install an apk you will have to click allow from this source when that window comes up.

Notes.

I recommend you install something like nova launcher, for a replacement home screen.

When you install a replacement home screen you will have to click always on the new window that will pop up.

So my issue here is how to enable the screen reader using the google home app on iOS. I think they removed it

supermaxkato

Feb 21, 2010
So after installing Nova Launcher there will be a pop-up we always have to click? Is that the choose default launcher pop-up?

supermaxkato

Feb 21, 2010
@willbilec Could you please list what software build version you have? Because I can get to auroraoss and nova launcher but when I click the download APK button the button flashes (so I know it was clicked), but nothing happens? No pop-up to click install. What am I missing?

dmorales023

Dec 26, 2016
I am facing the same problem, after clicking on the download link nothing happens. Has the download capability been disabled on the latest build? I know that as soon as I turned on the device and got it connected it performed an update

Sonalk

May 9, 2018
After I've added the link to my calendar and ask google to show my calendar she says she can't find anything in my calendar. Is this patched?

moulder6

Oct 10, 2022
This is a really cool solution that almost worked with the mi smart clock.
Unfortunately the xiaomi(or google?) guys have scraped everything that resembles a browser or could possibly open a link.

Also, went trough all the settings (using the method described above, and searching for settings, apps, etc.) Everything that's USB or Bluetooth related is severely cut down to only work as needed for the intended functionality. Can't attach a keyboard. Can't transfer a file trough Bluetooth. So, although in theory you could install anything, u can't get any new files downloaded on the device.

Pittsburgh Flip

Jul 20, 2019
When i get to the paste section, it seems somehow "Home" has been copied instead of my event name.
When i'm copying i've checked "repeat last utterance" before i "copy last utterance" and it's correct, but when i go to paste in the search box, i get "Home"

is this happening to anyone else?

verticalfuzz

Dec 4, 2021
Need some help. Got nova launcher running. Then when I applied my nova settings, it went back to the Lenovo home screen. How do I get it back to nova? Lol

Nevermind. I found it.
...So what did you do? I can't figure this part out either.

edit 1:
ok for anyone else, follow the instructions again right up to install, but instead of "install" select "open". Then when I rebooted the device i was able to tell it to use nova launcher "always", and then using the launcher home to get to the android settings, I was able to connect a bluetooth mouse and keyboard.

However, short of rebooting every time the clock home screen or browser comes up, I haven't figured out a quick way to exit that and return to the nova launcher home.

edit 2: Ok with the screen reader enabled, you can swipe up and left (L shape rotated 180 degrees) to return Home, then set Nova7 as Home. If you add a bluetooth keyboard, you can also alt+F4 to return home.

Last edited:

verticalfuzz

Dec 4, 2021
Has anyone been able (A) to get ride of the "muted microphone" screen overlay icon or (B) prevent the google home setup screen from taking over when trying to connect to a wifi ssid without internet access?

Last edited:
Reactions: thesm4rt1

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I haven't looked at this thread for a while; never thought it would get this much interest. Making some updates. Here is a new guide from ThomasPrioron GitHub, which makes a lot more sense than mine does.

ThomasPrior/LenovoSmartClock2: Root and configure a Lenovo Smart Clock 2 for use as a smart home display (github.com)

1. Set up the device using the Google Home app until the clock face is displayed on the device.

2. Open the Google Home app and navigate to the Devices tab at the bottom.

3. Select your smart clock from the list of available devices.

4. Tap the settings icon in the top right-hand corner.

5. Access the Accessibility menu and enable Screen Reader.

Use the calendar to download the launcher. This general process is well-demonstrated in a video by Cameron Gray (
    ). Another video is available here:
    . My slightly differing process is outlined below:

Prepare a special calendar entry:

1. Using the account you are using to set up the device, open Google Calendar.

2. Create a new event in the future with a title consisting only of https://blakadder.com/assets/files/ultra-small-launcher.apk.

3. Instruct the clock to display upcoming events.

4. With the event on the screen, swipe sideways until the clock reads out the title of the event (https://blakadder.com/assets/files/ultra-small-launcher.apk).

5. Draw an "L" shape on the screen to open the TalkBack menu.

6. Swipe sideways until "Copy the last utterance to the clipboard" is selected, then double-tap to choose it.

7. Draw an "L" shape on the screen again to open the TalkBack menu.

8. Swipe to the right on the screen until "Open TalkBack settings" is selected, then double-tap to choose it.

9. You can now disable Screen Reader via the Google Home app on your phone; we won't need it again for a while.

10. Scroll to the bottom of the list. Near the end, you'll find "Privacy Policy." Tap it.

11. In the browser window that opens, grant the necessary permission prompts. We need storage access to download files using this browser.

12. Tap the address bar to select the URL. Tap again in the address bar and press the X button to clear it.

13. Long-press the address bar and paste the URL.

14. Long-press the URL again and press "Open."

15. The launcher will begin downloading, and you'll be directed to the Downloads folder.

16. Click the downloaded file to install the APK.

17. Follow the prompts to grant the browser permission to install the APK.

18. When prompted, set the newly installed launcher as the default.

Notes: There are two methods to reset the device:

1. Press and hold both volume keys until a reset window pops up.

2. While plugging in the clock, hold the volume-upbutton to enter fastboot. Use the volume upbutton to navigate the menu and volume down to select options.

An app called Key Mapperenables you to use the volume buttons as well as tap the device to perform actions like going back or returning home.

Key Mapper | F-Droid - Free and Open Source Android App Repository
    Original guide.

Requirements.

Processor

Operating System

Android 10

Display Type

4.0" LCD IPS Touchscreen

Memory

1 GB

Hard Drive

• OK, let’s start.
    • Examples:

talkback and pressing it

Notes.

I picked up one of these 2nd gen clocks this week and while as some folks have mentioned the Talkback support was removed from the Google Home app preventing the previously used method to break out of the Google Home software, I've found one that still uses basically the same method. There is probably a simpler way to do this, but it worked for me.
    1. Settings menu -> send feedback —> (say something) -> Legal Help Page
      • This opens a locked down browser that we need to break out of still since it can't download anything.
    2. The goal at this point is to find any link that uses http since this locked down browser doesn’t appear navigate through cert errors. I did this by:
      1. About Lumen (bottom of page) -> Lumen (Hyperlink in first paragraph)
      2. From here you have two options. You can get out to twitter, or scroll down to their blog posts. I found a blog post from 1/26/2023 that had a http link.
    3. Before opening the link, create an A Record (I had trouble with CNAMEs) for the IP behind that domain name to a self-hosted web server.
    4. On that self-hosted website, have a plaintext URL for http://f-droid.org.
    5. Press and hold to highlight the full URL, and you should have an “Open” option in the context menu, click that. Nothing will appear to happen, but close the current browser window, then quit out of giving feedback. You’ll find a full browser awaiting you to then download packages from f-droid with.
    I let the "fresh" clock update and was able to complete the installation of the APK's by following Cameron Gray's video here and by following the suggestions made by holyosles in the thread on April 16. Success!
    I've made a video on how to do this, as well as some extra recommended steps. I plan on another video to showcase some use cases of various apps on the clock

Ok so this is fun, Key Mapper allows you to map the bump effect! https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=io.github.sds100.keymapper

I'm using this instead of button remapper (especially since without paid, you can only map 2 keys). Key mapper recognizes the bump effect ("unknown key 289"), plus you can map more than two things.

I'm trying out a single bump for back, double bump for Home, and vol - and + together for settings. With this, I'm hoping I don't really need a launcher. We'll see how it works out.