(guide)Installing android on your (aging) kindle e-reader

Search This thread
There once was a way to install android at

http://kdroid.org/
(Website is permanently down as of September 21, 2022)

this is a fork of a project that began in 2017 and stalled before mid-2019, it had been abandoned for long and it ran an ancient version of android(4.x)

Now, you can install this Android os (although a bit modified) on a Kindle.

It is not recent (released half a year ago) and pretty isolated on the internet.

And I want to bring such a guide to daylight, because I think it deserves attention.

(By the way, this is a work in progress, I apologize for the lengthy delays)
Here is the link:
{Mod edit: Link removed}
(Google drive link is coming)
Bear in mind while the system is very stable, I am not responsible for any issues caused by you using this (obviously uncertified) system

Detailed instructions are available in the attachments section.

Kindle 8 version is based on Android 5.1
All others are based on Android 4.4
I would say battery life is decent but keep in mind to not install resource-gobbling apps e.g. Minecraft or whatever

Supported models:
Kindle 7/Kindle Basic 2 /KT2 )
Kindle Paperwhite 2 ( Kindle Paperwhite 6 gen)
Kindle Paperwhite 3 ( Kindle Paperwhite 7 gen)
Kindle Voyage
Kindle Oasis 1
Kindle 8 gen/Kindle Basic 3 /KT3
KindleXMigu (China Mobile x migu books domestic version)
Newer models are not supported due to bootloader beig locked. Jailbreaking does not unlock your bootloader, and while Alpine linux or other light distros might run on the kindle by a container, Android would not really work. There will not be any significant development for newer models of the Kindle unlesss there is sufficient demand (from you guys)

For Kindle 7, paperwhite 2, 3(except 32gig Japan version) and voyage you could choose to keep the original Kindle OS
First root/jailbreak your Kindle and install KUAL

Install fastboot driver on PC, and disable signature check if needed

The driver name is wrong and should be something like adb setup 1.4.2 with an Android logo

Put main-htmlviewer. tar.gz from the uboot folder into Kual (the names might be different)

In KUAL you will see something like FlashAndroid.
Make sure you have enough battery power in your Kindle, and tap the button.

The Kindle will reboot and enter fastboot mode. The status bar of the Kindle loading will get stuck. Don't worry. Everything is fine here.

Without admin privileges, run start.exe
Enter 8 when a list of weird letters appear.

Your Kindle should now be running Android! Have fun!
Installation Guide Version 2.1 Is now available.
video guides:

Attachments

• CracKDroid Flash Guide English Version 2.1.pdf
    874.3 KB · Views: 1,461
  • 558.jpg
    558.jpg
    238.2 KB · Views: 1,042
  • KPW3短接演示.mp4
    5.6 MB · Views: 0
  • ko1.png
    ko1.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 684
  • kpw23.png
    kpw23.png
    6 MB · Views: 1,034
  • 原生系统更新包制作工具 - Build 0.2.zip
    2.1 MB · Views: 838
  • Wario 短接工具.zip
    2.8 MB · Views: 2,628
  • kindle7.220813.zip
    449.1 MB · Views: 690
  • kpw3.220810.zip
    457.9 MB · Views: 13,720
  • oasis.220826.zip
    311 MB · Views: 1,679
  • voyage.220810.zip
    463.3 MB · Views: 2,186
  • kindleXmigu.220830.zip
    426.3 MB · Views: 342
  • adb-setup-1.4.3.zip
    8.9 MB · Views: 2,427
  • IMG_20221113_172358_186.jpg
    IMG_20221113_172358_186.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 1,107
  • kpw2.221105.zip
    448.1 MB · Views: 1,126
  • kindle8.kosp.230218.zip
    247.8 MB · Views: 572
Last edited:
Reactions: bobdonsy
With so little memory and storage space, I doubt GMS will even work. However, I encourage you to try to find out!
UPDATE:
the project manager is in touch with me and we are writing and translating an entire comprehensive guide for all models supported. GMS does worl but it would drain battery life so badly it would be useless to even install.

Last edited:

lukastheduke

Nov 2, 2022
Hello. I can't download the files from Baidu. Can you please link them here, or upload them to Google Drive?

It would be very appreciated. Thank you!

Unfortunately my Google drive is full, and I could not download the baidu disk files myself. This is being sorted out.:oops:
you may chat with me to find an alternaltive way if needed
Meanwhile, you can go to this telegram channel to download the files needed:
(Please do not censor this mods)
Disclaimer: the files on this channel has minor issues, as this project is still is in development.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: bobdonsy
We need your help!
@Ygjsz and Molly needs help fixing the open source Gralloc so it can refresh the screen in the correct waveform!
Please contact me if you are willing to contribute to this project!

these are all the links for the Android 5.1-based source code, provided by the author, Molly
https://github.com/MollySophia/android_hardware_imx

https://github.com/MollySophia/android_device_amazon_kindle

https://github.com/MollySophia/android_kernel_amazon_kindle

https://github.com/MollySophia/twrp_device_amazon_kindle

https://github.com/MollySophia/imx6_android_u-boot_kindle

Attachments

• IMG_20221113_173032_938.jpg
    IMG_20221113_173032_938.jpg
    191.2 KB · Views: 251
Last edited:

Oswald Boelcke

Senior Moderator / Moderator Committee
Staff member
@Nicknackpaddywack101

I've sanitised the thread from references to Telegram! Regarding social media links please observe that as an exemption from the last bullet of rule no. 5 of the XDA Forum Rules, we grant only developers the privilege to share references to their social media in their own development threads and if thorough support is provided in the thread. These conditions obviously don't apply to your posts, threads or you. Additional information is also available here:
Additionally, Telegram is not accepted as filehost as a registration is required that violates rule no. 11 of the XDA Forum Rules. Please refrain for sharing of social media references unless within your own development threads and do not drag members away from XDA to social media! Please read my announcement as a friendly warning.

Regards
Oswald Boelcke
Senior Moderator

Reactions: Austinredstoner

snoerme

Dec 19, 2016
I did not for now.. :/

Trying to flash to a Kindle PW2 6.th gen running 5.12.2.2
Im running windows 11

I ran into a problem after step 2.5:
If the Kindle’s screen flashes and the Kindle restarts, wait until the Kindle loading bar stops
moving.
Your PC should indicate that something is being unplugged and plugged in multiple times.( still In
the loading screen)
DO NOT touch the power button while the Kindle restarts.
did so but have the folowing situation:

1- The Kinde starts rebooting and gets mounted for a periode of time. I would be able to copy files to the kindle.

2- Then it unmounts, the boot process goes on and goes to the "USB Drive Mode"

3- The device gets mounted and unmounted (at least windows plays the "plugin- plugout- sounds) in a never endling loop.
When I open de windows device manager Kindle shows up with the exclamation mark. There seems to be no valid driver for the device.

4- After about about a minute the Kindle reboots and runs throug the descibed steps

I guess the device fastboot drivers are not installed correctly.
I will try if intsalling the android sdk chances anything
Any suggestions?
The Kindle has been charged to 100% but im a little afraid, that it may constantly loose power and may die (?) The indicator LED is green while in state 1 and changes to orange while in state 2 and 3. does this mean its beeing charged at any time?

I would be happy for any suggestions

snoerme

Dec 19, 2016
I solved it
i missed to manually add the driver.

Add-legacy-hardware.jpg

after doing so. the bat ran fine. when it told me to do so i longpressed the power button to reboot.

now its running android :]
Thank you for your tutorial. I would suggest to describe the steps a little more detailed to make it noob proof :]

Reactions: oldman20
I solved it

View attachment 5820195

after doing so. the bat ran fine. when it told me to do so i longpressed the power button to reboot.

Thank you for your tutorial. I would suggest to describe the steps a little more detailed to make it noob proof :]
Whats your experience!?

snoerme

Dec 19, 2016
it runs fine, but the possibilitys are very limited for now because i hardly find any any app that can be run.
there are no gapps installed, and im not shure wheter there is something like twrp available for the pw2.

there's a browser, a file manager and an ebook reader preinstalled as well as a launcher with some basic settings. wifi works.

I gave it a try because i was looking for a solution to display a calender that can sync with multiple google accounts. maybe someone can suggest, where to find old android kitkat apps that fit my needs.

Reactions: oldman20

snoerme

Dec 19, 2016
forgot to say, that that its rooted with supersu.

i found out that apkmirror lets me filter my search for android versions.
i downloaded some apps and they all seem to work:
catLog
Calculator
Droid Info

Open Gapps app installs and runs fine but toasts "Connection to server failed" after i selected the pico package for 4.4
would have been too easy to believe though ^^

catLog
Calculator
Droid Info

Open Gapps app installs and runs fine but toasts "Connection to server failed" after i selected the pico package for 4.4
Sadly my device is Kindle Oasis 2, which not support

lenkyun

Dec 9, 2013

catLog
Calculator
Droid Info

I guess it will also use TWRP recovery to install it. (because it's only supported one)
If this can run. It will not work.

I find this tutorial work, but it requires some workaround.
"adb root" will not work. You will need "adb shell" to remount /system.

After copied you will need to fix copied file permission.
/system don't have enough disk for pico. You will need to remove something.

In my case, its PW2. I don't think it has enough ram to run it.

Reactions: snoerme
I solved it

View attachment 5820195

There is a detailed tutorial in the attachments section. Thanks for letting me know and I will update the post.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    There once was a way to install android at

http://kdroid.org/
    (Website is permanently down as of September 21, 2022)

this is a fork of a project that began in 2017 and stalled before mid-2019, it had been abandoned for long and it ran an ancient version of android(4.x)

Now, you can install this Android os (although a bit modified) on a Kindle.

It is not recent (released half a year ago) and pretty isolated on the internet.

And I want to bring such a guide to daylight, because I think it deserves attention.

(By the way, this is a work in progress, I apologize for the lengthy delays)
    Here is the link:
    (Google drive link is coming)
    Bear in mind while the system is very stable, I am not responsible for any issues caused by you using this (obviously uncertified) system

Detailed instructions are available in the attachments section.

Kindle 8 version is based on Android 5.1
    All others are based on Android 4.4
    I would say battery life is decent but keep in mind to not install resource-gobbling apps e.g. Minecraft or whatever

Supported models:
    Kindle 7/Kindle Basic 2 /KT2 )
    Kindle Paperwhite 2 ( Kindle Paperwhite 6 gen)
    Kindle Paperwhite 3 ( Kindle Paperwhite 7 gen)
    Kindle Voyage
    Kindle Oasis 1
    Kindle 8 gen/Kindle Basic 3 /KT3
    KindleXMigu (China Mobile x migu books domestic version)
    Newer models are not supported due to bootloader beig locked. Jailbreaking does not unlock your bootloader, and while Alpine linux or other light distros might run on the kindle by a container, Android would not really work. There will not be any significant development for newer models of the Kindle unlesss there is sufficient demand (from you guys)

For Kindle 7, paperwhite 2, 3(except 32gig Japan version) and voyage you could choose to keep the original Kindle OS
    First root/jailbreak your Kindle and install KUAL

Install fastboot driver on PC, and disable signature check if needed

The driver name is wrong and should be something like adb setup 1.4.2 with an Android logo

Put main-htmlviewer. tar.gz from the uboot folder into Kual (the names might be different)

In KUAL you will see something like FlashAndroid.
    Make sure you have enough battery power in your Kindle, and tap the button.

The Kindle will reboot and enter fastboot mode. The status bar of the Kindle loading will get stuck. Don't worry. Everything is fine here.

Without admin privileges, run start.exe
    Enter 8 when a list of weird letters appear.

Your Kindle should now be running Android! Have fun!
    Installation Guide Version 2.1 Is now available.
    video guides:
    Unfortunately my Google drive is full, and I could not download the baidu disk files myself. This is being sorted out.:oops:
    you may chat with me to find an alternaltive way if needed
    Meanwhile, you can go to this telegram channel to download the files needed:
    (Please do not censor this mods)
    Disclaimer: the files on this channel has minor issues, as this project is still is in development.
    @Nicknackpaddywack101

I've sanitised the thread from references to Telegram! Regarding social media links please observe that as an exemption from the last bullet of rule no. 5 of the XDA Forum Rules, we grant only developers the privilege to share references to their social media in their own development threads and if thorough support is provided in the thread. These conditions obviously don't apply to your posts, threads or you. Additional information is also available here:
    Additionally, Telegram is not accepted as filehost as a registration is required that violates rule no. 11 of the XDA Forum Rules. Please refrain for sharing of social media references unless within your own development threads and do not drag members away from XDA to social media! Please read my announcement as a friendly warning.

Regards
    Oswald Boelcke
    Senior Moderator
    I solved it

Add-legacy-hardware.jpg

it runs fine, but the possibilitys are very limited for now because i hardly find any any app that can be run.
    there are no gapps installed, and im not shure wheter there is something like twrp available for the pw2.

there's a browser, a file manager and an ebook reader preinstalled as well as a launcher with some basic settings. wifi works.

I gave it a try because i was looking for a solution to display a calender that can sync with multiple google accounts. maybe someone can suggest, where to find old android kitkat apps that fit my needs.