[GUIDE] Installing Windows 8 Preview on the HTC Shift

Search This thread

djwillis

Feb 9, 2006
Bath
www.distant-earth.com
This thread is to record comments/questions on a guide I have posted up on my site regarding the steps to get a fully working Windows 8 Developer Preview install onto the HTC Shift.

http://blogs.distant-earth.com/wp/?p=313

The process to get Windows 8 working (with graphics correctly setup etc.) is a little bit of a pain but nothing all that difficult. Especially if you follow the steps (usual rules, I made mistakes to save others the hassle ;))

The resulting install of Windows 8 running at 1024*600 is VERY usable :eek:, much to my surprise. Metro is actually quite nice on the tablet form factor.

The touchscreen is a little unresponsive round the edges but I suspect that is my device as it has never been very good.

Last edited by a moderator:

djwillis

Feb 9, 2006
Bath
www.distant-earth.com
Thank you. I can't install any driver even with my ethernet connection :-(

SmartScreen by any chance?

If your getting the green messages the chances are you Ethernet connection is not working (is it USB, does Windows 8 ship with the driver for whatever chip it uses?).

Below is a copy/paste from a comment I made on the guide concerning SmartScreen issues.

djwillis said:
Hi,

The reason you get the green SmartScreen error messages is the lack of an Internet connection. Windows 8 includes a feature that used to only be part of IE that calls off to an MS web service to verify digital signatures are valid on newer type signed executables.
As both the Intel graphics driver and Windows Mobile Device Center are signed you can’t install without an internet connection or crippling SmartScreen.

Have another read as the order in which I installed the drivers was very deliberate and also intentionally ordered the way it was to work around the SmartScreen issues.

The guide does not even try to install the signed executables until you have got the Wireless LAN up and running so the signatures can be verified, I even mention SmartScreen as one of the reasons for the order of drivers in the guide .

Regards,

John

Lord_alias

Oct 7, 2007
I don't suppose you have all the needed drivers and could share them somewhere? i cant get any of the links to work so cant get it ready for the upgrade :(

Also can the test version be installed fresh? i am trying to get windows 7 working for an upgrade but if it can be done fresh i will do that xD

djwillis

Feb 9, 2006
Bath
www.distant-earth.com
I don't suppose you have all the needed drivers and could share them somewhere? i cant get any of the links to work so cant get it ready for the upgrade :(

Also can the test version be installed fresh? i am trying to get windows 7 working for an upgrade but if it can be done fresh i will do that xD

Hi,

All the needed drivers are linked off the guide but as the HTC site seems to be up and down today :eek: I have now added mirrors to all the files (uploaded them to my server).

Checked and all the mirror links seem to be working fine :).

The best way to try Windows 8 on the Shift is actually a fresh install. I would not suggest an upgrade at all ;).

Lord_alias

Oct 7, 2007
fantastic i will give it a shot now :)

---------- Post added at 08:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:15 PM ----------

right i have another problem lol i have everything set up right with all the drivers standing by but when i choose to install i get an error about CD/DVD drives followed by a lack of HDD error :( any ideas?

djwillis

Feb 9, 2006
Bath
www.distant-earth.com
[/COLOR]right i have another problem lol i have everything set up right with all the drivers standing by but when i choose to install i get an error about CD/DVD drives followed by a lack of HDD error :( any ideas?

Are you going for a totally clean install as per the guide?

Is your USB stick all setup and bootable?

Assuming you are getting into the Windows setup booting off of the USB stick is it the part where you select the install disk that seems to show no HDD? If it it what was installed on your Shift before?

This sounds like an issue I had when I have Meego running off the HDD before I installed Windows 8 (BtrFS and a different partition layout seem to cause it).

thatboyp

Dec 4, 2006
Need Help,

I used the MS software to create the USB boot disk for window 8. try to install on the Shift. got to the part where it said loading files...then it show some blue squares on the upper left screen...it goes for 1/3 of the way and hang up....I let it run for 2 hours and had to do pull the battery.

try to re-install again..same result...

Do I need to format and partition the disk?

djwillis

Feb 9, 2006
Bath
www.distant-earth.com
Need Help,

I used the MS software to create the USB boot disk for window 8. try to install on the Shift. got to the part where it said loading files...then it show some blue squares on the upper left screen...it goes for 1/3 of the way and hang up....I let it run for 2 hours and had to do pull the battery.

try to re-install again..same result...

Do I need to format and partition the disk?

That sounds like a bad stick to be honest :(. The blue squares are replaced with the install menu after just a few minutes. This is all well before anything is messing with the Shift's HDD or hardware ;).

Try reformatting it and having another go. It can't hurt.

Lord_alias

Oct 7, 2007
Are you going for a totally clean install as per the guide?

Is your USB stick all setup and bootable?

Assuming you are getting into the Windows setup booting off of the USB stick is it the part where you select the install disk that seems to show no HDD? If it it what was installed on your Shift before?

This sounds like an issue I had when I have Meego running off the HDD before I installed Windows 8 (BtrFS and a different partition layout seem to cause it).

Right i managed to find the problem, only used your quide for the drivers as i installed windows 7 in a similar way, i used CMD and DISKPART to get a pen drive ready and then used XCOPY to move the installation media onto the drive but for some reason even though it said it was finished it was missing out a couple of files inside the sources folder, once i used XCOPY again over the existing media it managed to find the missing files and copy them. So you where right it was a problem with drivers missing from the install media and once they where found it was all clean sailing thanks to your fantastic guide :)

Thanks again xD

bouaroudj

Sep 15, 2006
SmartScreen by any chance?

If your getting the green messages the chances are you Ethernet connection is not working (is it USB, does Windows 8 ship with the driver for whatever chip it uses?).

Below is a copy/paste from a comment I made on the guide concerning SmartScreen issues.

Ok thanks it worked.

---------- Post added at 03:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:26 PM ----------

here is a working link :

http://www.htc.com/us/support/htc-shift/downloads/

Reactions: Lord_alias

djwillis

Feb 9, 2006
Bath
www.distant-earth.com
Has anyone tried this yet on a AT&T tilt? My old tilt is lonely!:eek:

Hmmm, the Tilt is an ARM based HTC Kaiser, the Shift is a much bigger x86 based UMPC (with a cut down HTC Kaiser effectively shoved in to look after the ARM Windows Mobile side of the device ;)).

As this is running normal x86 Windows 8 I would not expect to see your old Tilt getting much love from the guide ;).

XeeX

Feb 8, 2009
If you want to force the 1024 x 768 resolution to launch Metro apps ! :D

blog.daily-dev .com /?p=271&lang=en

The english is not perfect but you can remove the "&lang=en" to see it in french.

P.S : Sorry for the link format but i'm new on this forum so can't post URL :(

picheth

Jul 6, 2007
I cannot install Win 8 on my HTC Shift.

I follow the guide but using with 4GB Flash Drive.

any thing help or comments please!

thanks

koala996

Sep 18, 2007
Bruxelles-Brussels
Well... I have installed Win8 on the Shift without any trouble.

Overall I find it too slow for being usable. Neither Vista, 7 or 8 seem to be enough responsive.
I am very disappointed by the Metro UI, it is really slow and even in 1152*864 it does not work quite well.

What do you think about Metro UI responsiveness?

I have a lot of trouble getting accurate touch... it shows a circle but it seems that only a FEW (3-4 ?) pixels trigger... so you still have to find the precise point that will get the touch event.. OUCH !
It is especially painful to hit a corner (windows button, the task bar, and the application bar). I have to do almost everything with the mouse.... *SICK*

Intel driver supports several resolution... AMAZING ! but we need two things:
- change the resolution switch from 800*480 - 1024*600 to 800*480 - 1024*600 - 1024*768 - 1152*864 ... or at least get the ability to change the 1024*600.
- change the rotation : as a tablet... the screen rotation is kinda important...but well it is just a detail ;-)

---------- Post added at 08:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:24 AM ----------

I cannot install Win 8 on my HTC Shift.

I follow the guide but using with 4GB Flash Drive.

any thing help or comments please!

thanks

what is the problem?
4GB Flash Drive seem a little bit too small. I have used a HDD of 20GB with the whole partition set as active.
It is for me the fastest and easiest solution to install Windows on the shift.

Have you been able to go to start the installation of Windows 8 ?
You need to press F12 during the boot to choose which drive to boot on.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This thread is to record comments/questions on a guide I have posted up on my site regarding the steps to get a fully working Windows 8 Developer Preview install onto the HTC Shift.

http://blogs.distant-earth.com/wp/?p=313

The process to get Windows 8 working (with graphics correctly setup etc.) is a little bit of a pain but nothing all that difficult. Especially if you follow the steps (usual rules, I made mistakes to save others the hassle ;))

The resulting install of Windows 8 running at 1024*600 is VERY usable :eek:, much to my surprise. Metro is actually quite nice on the tablet form factor.

The touchscreen is a little unresponsive round the edges but I suspect that is my device as it has never been very good.
    Authentec True Suite on windows 8

Hello, after some years with this issue I have decided to stand up and test on the HTC Shift the new operating system.

Discuss this facility is fully in face of evidence and not end up working correctly some features, we hope to develop with the help of all users of HTC Shift.
    For example assigning the buttons to change resolution and access to Shift Control Center, run these applications from your shortcuts in Program Files / Htc :confused:

htc_shift_buttons_remap.jpg

Referring to sensor validation've been testing and looking for an application that actually works properly on
    Windows 8 and after try working properly. :good: :good:

PS_TwoHandsSml.jpg

http://support.authentec.com/Downloads/Windows/ProtectorSuite.aspx

The license to let fully functional with all its benefits. http://depositfiles.com/files/9r9lflwdw
    Just run it and accept the insertion of the key in the registry ;)

Best Regards :laugh:

---------- Post added at 06:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:10 PM ----------

If you upgrade from within windows on DP or CP to RP, it still doesn't work.

Therefor you need 2 files from the old releases, sdbus.sys and dumpsd.sys. You need to put them in this path: c:\windows\system32\drivers\

Files needed:
    http://nasomi.com/sdbus.sys
    http://nasomi.com/dumpsd.sys

To replace them in release preview, it's tricky.
    1. Have them on an sd card from the old version, i'll upload them for those that want when I get a chance.
    2. right click on desktop, new, shortcut. type cmd, click next, ok.
    3. right click on the shortcut, hit run as administrator
    4. type: takeown /f c:\windows\system32\drivers\sdbus.sys and hit enter
    5. type: takeown /f c:\windows\system32\drivers\dumpsd.sys and hit enter
    6: type: cacls c:\windows\system32\drivers\sdbus.sys /G jay:F <note that jay is my username and you will have to replace ONLY that portion with your login name.
    8: type: cacls c:\windows\system32\drivers\dumpsd.sys /G jay:F <same as above, replace jay with your login
    9. you should now be able to replace the old files when you drag them over and click overwrite/replace
    10. restart.

Thanks jay6700, after being breaking my head with Wifi got following your tutorial install and make it work properly

Best Regard :)
    Steps:

Download iso from (google Windows Developer Preview I cant post links yet sorry)
    Download Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool (again google Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool)
    When you have downloaded both and installed the usb/dvd download tool follow the steps on the Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool to put iso on your usb (8GB+ Preferably 4GB Could work).
    When done go to the HTC Shift Driver Download Page download ( htc.com / us / support /htc-shift/downloads remote all spaces) all of the drivers and unzip them all to their own folder in a folder called Drivers (or whatevery you want) at the root of your usb.
    Turn on your HTC Shift and hold down Fn and press 0 to enter F10 and take you to the BIOS Boot Menu then select your usb.
    Once it has booted enter/select your locale (i.e. country keyboard etc) then click next, agree to EULA, Then CUstom Install then press Shift+F10 (Fn+0) it will open a cmd windows type in "DISKPART" and press enter wait for it to load and when its loaded type in "select disk 0" then press enter then type "clean" when done you may close the cmd window.
    then go to the partition window (should be open) and create a new partition 10GB+ (10240MB+) then select it and click next.
    then the install should start.
    Wait do something for about 30 minutes or so watch tv play xbox something.
    When done it will automatically restart if you have a BIOS Password enter it then continue past to Windows Boot Loader leave it for 30 seconds or press enter either way same result.
    It will continue installation repeating this a few times then when prompted Enter username desired computer name etc click next enter password (optional) click next to end it should then restart.
    When this is done you will be greeted by the Windows Developer Preview Login Screen logon (obviously).
    Congratulations you have installed Windows Developer Preview but your not done yet.
    Remeber that driver folder well you will need to go to it now.
    Once in folder open the VGA Drier (HTC Shift Driver Updates_Intel VGA Driver) open setup and install it when done it will prompt for restart when it does restart.
    When restarted log back on open the driver folder and install the chipset driver (HTC Shift Driver Updates_Intel Chipset Driver) open setup and install if prompted restart.
    When done re-open folder and install the Touch Screen Driver (HTC Shift Driver Updates_Touch Screen Driver) again open setup and install restart if prompted.
    When done open folder again and install Embedded Controller Driver (HTC Shift Driver Updates_Vista EC Driver) open setup install restart if prompted.
    When done open folder and install Control Center (HTC Shift Driver Updates_Control Center) restart if prompted.
    When done open folder plug in you Ethernet/3-Port USB Adaptor and connect it to trouter/modem and enter ip settings if necessary then install chipset driver (HTC Shift Driver Updates_Intel Chipset Driver) restart if promted.
    When done open Control Center and turn on Wifi (if not already) and try switch resolutions it should prompt you to install .NET 3.5 when so install restart if necessary.
    When done install Wifi Driver (HTC Shift Driver Updates_Marvell WiFi driver) restart if necessary.
    When done connect to wifi and install the remaining drivers in any order and install all Windows Update Updates.
    Congratulations you have with Windows Developer Preview on your HTC Shift and have effectively killed my hand from the typing!
    Thanks, added that link to the guide, HTC's site seemed to be up and down all weekend but the link you posted seems to work now so lets go with it :).

John

I posted a small video :
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATsDKMQu9I4&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Sorry it's in french :)
    So the problem seems to be the SD controller. With the older .sys files in place wireless works, but as soon as you put in a SD card it borks them. Seems to be a problem people are aware, but googling it, I can't find a solution for it.

I manage to install Windows 8 Release Preview and I can see now problem with SDcard.
    It appears this issue still related to Windows 8 RP SDcard driver.
    I grab this additional 2 drivers from Windows 8 Consumer Preview and replace with drivers comes with Windows 8 RP.
    After that you still need to disable wifi and re-enable when SDcard being installed.
    I put it together in the zip all drivers which needs to be replace.