[GUIDE] LG G STYLO How to root the T-Mobile 6.0 update

Search This thread

T-Macgnolia

Sep 30, 2010
Shannon, Ms.
This guide was made before Kingroot was able to root the official update. But thanks to @oskar and @TheDerekHarper on XDA and to @josephwv on Android forums it is now comfirmed that Kingroot will root the official update. But first you must still follow steps #1 through #6 so Kingroot can root your device.

Now before Kingroot was able to root the update I figured out how to root the official update and it is not all to complicated. The following guide will walk you through the root process. But I am not responsible for anything that happens to your devices by using this guide as you are responsible for your device.

What you need:

1. A computer running Linux or Windows with adb and fastboot installed. (I used Ubuntu)

2. If you are using Windows you need all the drivers for your device installed. Linux users will not have to worry about this.

3. A functioning USB cable for your device.

4. Battery charged at least 50% just for safety.

5. The TWRP revovery.img, this is the same TWRP recovery we already have for the LG G Stylo I have just renamed it to recovery.img to make it easier to type the name in while typing fastboot commands.

6. The SuperSU-v2.65-20151226141550.zip by Chainfire. (All credit to Chainfire for this awesome zip.)

How to root your device:

1. I suggest you first go to Settings/General/About Phone/Software info and tap on the "Build number" until it says"You are now a developer". Then back out of until you are in Settings/General and go to "Developer options" and turn "Enable OEM unlock" on. This is to allow TWRP recovery to be able to boot. Also turn on "USB debugging" while you are there.

2. Download the SuperSU-v2.65-20151226141550.zip to your device. You need to move the zip file from your Downloads folder to somewhere on your external SD card as it will not be deleted from there when you use the "fastboot oem unlock" command in step #6.

3. Download the recovery.img to your computer. If you do not have adb and fastboot setup globally for linux or in your path for windows you need to move the recovery.img to the directory your adb and fastboot is in and open a terminal or command line (depending on your OS) in that directory or cd to that directory. If you do have adb and fastboot globally or in your path you can just open a terminal or command line in the directory you have the recovery.img or cd to the directory you have the recovery.img.

4. Once you have the terminal or command line open run the command "adb devices" to make sure your devices is detected by adb. You may get a toast pop up on your device asking if you to "Allow usb debugging". Except this as this is the RSA key you need to allow your computer to communicate with your device via adb. You should see something like "LGH631dffacad9 device" in your terminal or command line. If you see "unauthorized" instead of "device" you have not excepted the RSA key.

5.Now type the following command in your terminal or command line. Type "adb reboot bootloader". This will reboot your device to fastboot mode. Once in fastboot mode use the "fastboot devices" to make sure your device is recognized by fastboot. You should see something like "dffacad9 fastboot". If you are in Linux and get a error message you may have to use "sudo fastboot devices" for fastboot to work. (If you are using Windows and are having trouble with fastboot recognizing your device you need to install the device drivers. If it still does not work install the drivers again with your device connected to your computer in fastboot mode.)

6. To fully unlock your bootloader you have to use the command "fastboot oem unlock". You have to do this or this root method will not work. But be warned that if you do use this command it will factory reset your device. Plus you will get a line of text saying the bootloader is unlocked on the splash screen when you boot your device.

6-1: If you are wanting to use Kingroot to root your device you can reboot your device now. Open the Kingroot app and let it root your device and then use Flashify, Rashr, or a similar app to flash the recovery. Then boot to recovery and flash the SuperSU.zip in recovery and it will remove Kingroot and have SuperSU installed on your device.

7. Now you can do this two ways if you do not want to keep the stock recovery you can use the command "fastboot flash recovery.img" to install the recovery and then use the command "fastboot reboot recovery" to boot to the TWRP recovery. (If this command gives you issue like it seems to be for many then just use the the following method and then use Flashify or Rashr app to install TWRP after you are done rooting.) If you want to keep the stock recovery you can use the command "fastboot boot recovery.img" to boot to the TWRP recovery.

8. Once you are booted to the TWRP recovery you should make a full backup first so you have a backup to restore to in case things go bad. After you make a backup then select install and then find the SuperSU-v2.65-20151226141550.zip and install it. Once it is installed reboot your device to system. If TWRP gives you a warning about the su binaries missing and asks if you want to install thee su binaries before you reboot select no or it will interfere with the rooting process of the SuperSU.zip. When your device reboots it will boot to the LG splash screen and then reboot again. But then it will boot to the OS but it will take a minute. Make sure you let your device reboot all the way to the lockscreen or home screen depending on if you have a lockscreen enabled or not. You should be fully rooted after this, enjoy.

Last edited:

infektedpc

Nov 27, 2012
Springfield
target reported max download size of 268435456 bytes
sending 'recovery' (11300 KB)...
OKAY [ 0.359s]
writing 'recovery'...
FAILED (remote: unknown command)
finished. total time: 0.359s

Foamp

Mar 16, 2016
ok so i know this is 100% my fault for not reading, but why would you even include step 6? it wipes everything including the supersu.zip. the files i'm pissed about, but i can get over. mostly music plus some ****ty pictures. contacts can text me. but the main thing is i had to restart my phone, get it started up and everything, then put the super su.zip back onto the phone. just a tedious task.

Reactions: TheDerekHarper
wtf... i get this same error

C:\adb>fastboot flash recovery v10.img
sending 'recovery' (11230 KB)...
OKAY [ 0.390s]
writing 'recovery'...
finished. total time: 0.390s

I've tried multiple versions of the TWRP for the g stylo on adroidforum and none of it flashes with the fastboot flash recovery .....img option. Every single one fails. Please tell me how you flashed the recovery... Also I cant run it through Flashify because my SuperSU says no binary is installed... I'm completely lost at this point

TheDerekHarper

Jun 21, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
VictorXIbarra.com

OKAY [ 0.390s]
writing 'recovery'...

I've tried multiple versions of the TWRP for the g stylo on adroidforum and none of it flashes with the fastboot flash recovery .....img option. Every single one fails. Please tell me how you flashed the recovery... Also I cant run it through Flashify because my SuperSU says no binary is installed... I'm completely lost at this point

Someone mentioned using the Kingroot app and I gotta admit, I was skepticle at first but after testing. I can confirm it works.

Just go go KingRoot.net, download their apk, install and run the root program. Igll work out of the box after, sadly I couldn't get the above method to work either with super su.

jothe1

Nov 16, 2015

OKAY [ 0.390s]
writing 'recovery'...

do the fastboot boot recovery.img so it boots up twrp then flash the supersu zip then boot your phone you should be rooted then flash twrp using flashify

lionedas

Nov 1, 2008
I was getting the same error, ( in step 7 don't flash the recovery )
just use "fastboot boot recovery.img" and it will boot to TWRP without installing it
you can then install SU, ( note ) when you exit or re boot from TWRP it will say SU in not installed do you want to install it, I did the first time and it seemed to hose up, so I did everything over and the second time selected no to re install.

once booted I used flashify to install the TWRP img, and I am able to boot to recovery using Quickboot apk

on a side note I have SU installed, I can use root explorer and other apps that ask for SU access, but Titanium backup
doesn't seem to uninstall apps anymore, they seem to re install after a reboot

Hope this helps yall's :cowboy:

OKAY [ 0.390s]
writing 'recovery'...

Reactions: eleikis and aaron2z
Someone mentioned using the Kingroot app and I gotta admit, I was skepticle at first but after testing. I can confirm it works.

Just go go KingRoot.net, download their apk, install and run the root program. Igll work out of the box after, sadly I couldn't get the above method to work either with super su.

I gotta be honest... I'm pretty skeptical to try it. I've read of everyone having either a softbrick boot loop or the root just not staying after reboot. Yours worked for H631 T-mobile 6.0 and stayed? If you confirm T-mobile variant and 6.0 I'll try it. There's a lot of headache with this method for me (not saying it doesn't work). I bricked my phone trying to get the binary files for SU by trying to reroot. But unbricked it with LG Flash Tools and a stock kdz. So I don't want to brick it again twenty minutes later lol

TheDerekHarper

Jun 21, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
VictorXIbarra.com

I gotta be honest... I'm pretty skeptical to try it. I've read of everyone having either a softbrick boot loop or the root just not staying after reboot. Yours worked for H631 T-mobile 6.0 and stayed? If you confirm T-mobile variant and 6.0 I'll try it. There's a lot of headache with this method for me (not saying it doesn't work). I bricked my phone trying to get the binary files for SU by trying to reroot. But unbricked it with LG Flash Tools and a stock kdz. So I don't want to brick it again twenty minutes later lol

Made a tutorial on how to get the marshmallow update (i.e. rom i've used.)
And then afterwards i downloaded Minimal ADB & Fastboot, OEM Unlocked the device (for safety) and downloaded the Kingroot Apk.
Installed it, and just allowed the program to root. It was pretty simple, haven't had any issues (i've even disabled OEM Unlock from the phone & USB Debugging.)
Hell, even adoptable storage is enabled for my phone too (but that's another tutorial from somewhere else.)

I do plan to make a root video, just so someone could see it and grab their opinion.

To be clear: I'm using a metroPCS LG Stylo. Also, only time the phone had issues was when i factory reset it to get rid of root. (didn't work)
so i had to follow the steps from the above tutorial to reflash the stock rom.

AgainstTheFlow

Nov 22, 2013
www.facebook.com
I got a permanent root from the procedure listed on page one of this thread. The only thing I did differently was, when booted into TWRP and you try to re boot the system you will get the question if you want TWRP to install root. If you do allow TWRP to install root, you wont get root. At this point select the option to just reboot the phone. The LG Logo will appear twice before it fully boots. When the device is fully up, you will have root.

T-Macgnolia

Sep 30, 2010
Shannon, Ms.
ok so i know this is 100% my fault for not reading, but why would you even include step 6? it wipes everything including the supersu.zip. the files i'm pissed about, but i can get over. mostly music plus some ****ty pictures. contacts can text me. but the main thing is i had to restart my phone, get it started up and everything, then put the super su.zip back onto the phone. just a tedious task.

My apologies as I made a typo in the guide. The correct command is "fastboot flash recovery recovery.img" to flash the recovery. I will fix this along with another rework about putting the SusperSU.zip only on your SD card.

Can I use this guide with my G4 Stylus (H635)?

I do not know if you can use it or not as I do not have that device. But you can try it bit if your device does not boot to fastboot mode when you issue the adb reboot bootloader command then your device's bootloader is not unlockable and this root method will not work for you. But from the posts in this thread point out that Kingroot now works on the 6.0 update so you can also try Kingroot to see if it willroot your device.

OKAY [ 0.390s]
writing 'recovery'...

Again sorry as this is fully my fault for making the typo on the fastboot command to flash recovery. I am fixing it as soon as I am done with this post.

Thank you for posting this.

do the fastboot boot recovery.img so it boots up twrp then flash the supersu zip then boot your phone you should be rooted then flash twrp using flashify

Yes this is how I did it when I rooted my device. I will edit the guide some to point this out.

I got a permanent root from the procedure listed on page one of this thread. The only thing I did differently was, when booted into TWRP and you try to re boot the system you will get the question if you want TWRP to install root. If you do allow TWRP to install root, you wont get root. At this point select the option to just reboot the phone. The LG Logo will appear twice before it fully boots. When the device is fully up, you will have root.

Thank you for posting this so others can see this does work.

OKAY [ 0.359s]
writing 'recovery'...

I also apologize to you for my mistake. It will be corrected shortly.

And then afterwards i downloaded Minimal ADB & Fastboot, OEM Unlocked the device (for safety) and downloaded the Kingroot Apk.
Installed it, and just allowed the program to root. It was pretty simple, haven't had any issues (i've even disabled OEM Unlock from the phone & USB Debugging.)
Hell, even adoptable storage is enabled for my phone too (but that's another tutorial from somewhere else.)

I do plan to make a root video, just so someone could see it and grab their opinion.

To be clear: I'm using a metroPCS LG Stylo. Also, only time the phone had issues was when i factory reset it to get rid of root. (didn't work)

Thanks for posting this I will add this to the post as another option to root seeing as it is comfirmed. I will give credit to you and @oskar for this info.

Reactions: stovo06 and aaron2z

supersonic125

Mar 20, 2016
Is there anyway to do this without wiping your data from 'fastboot oem unlock'? My bootloader keeps saying locked in fastboot mode even though I checked Enable OEM Unlock in settings. It won't let me boot the recovery.img because it's locked.

supersonic125

Mar 20, 2016
Yeah, if I try to flash instead of booting I get:
C:\adb>fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
OKAY [ 0.380s]
writing 'recovery'...
finished. total time: 0.401s

Last edited:

T-Macgnolia

Sep 30, 2010
Shannon, Ms.
Yeah, if I try to flash instead of booting I get:
C:\adb>fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
OKAY [ 0.380s]
writing 'recovery'...
finished. total time: 0.401s

Hmmm looks like maybe fully unlocking the bootloader enables all fastboot commands. You can try downloading and installing Kingroot and root with it as the posts here comfirm it will root the update now. Or just u lock the bootloaderb but your device will be reset if you do.

Reactions: aaron2z

Mattix724

Sep 26, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
OnePlus 8
Hmmm looks like maybe fully unlocking the bootloader enables all fastboot commands. You can try downloading and installing Kingroot and root with it as the posts here comfirm it will root the update now. Or just u lock the bootloaderb but your device will be reset if you do.

What if we just enable oem unlock in both the system and the bootloader then use adb to push the recovery, superuser, and busybox to the system. King Root caused too many system instabilities, it had injected itself as a system app and after unrooting and uninstalling after a reboot I was left with a soft brick due to a secure boot error 1003. A stock 5.1.1 kdz and the lg flash tool was able to bring my Stylo back to life.

It could all be done by running a simple batch file bundled with everything we need for our device. Linux would probably be the better option but it could work the same in windows.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This guide was made before Kingroot was able to root the official update. But thanks to @oskar and @TheDerekHarper on XDA and to @josephwv on Android forums it is now comfirmed that Kingroot will root the official update. But first you must still follow steps #1 through #6 so Kingroot can root your device.

Now before Kingroot was able to root the update I figured out how to root the official update and it is not all to complicated. The following guide will walk you through the root process. But I am not responsible for anything that happens to your devices by using this guide as you are responsible for your device.

What you need:

1. A computer running Linux or Windows with adb and fastboot installed. (I used Ubuntu)

2. If you are using Windows you need all the drivers for your device installed. Linux users will not have to worry about this.

3. A functioning USB cable for your device.

4. Battery charged at least 50% just for safety.

5. The TWRP revovery.img, this is the same TWRP recovery we already have for the LG G Stylo I have just renamed it to recovery.img to make it easier to type the name in while typing fastboot commands.

6. The SuperSU-v2.65-20151226141550.zip by Chainfire. (All credit to Chainfire for this awesome zip.)

How to root your device:

1. I suggest you first go to Settings/General/About Phone/Software info and tap on the "Build number" until it says"You are now a developer". Then back out of until you are in Settings/General and go to "Developer options" and turn "Enable OEM unlock" on. This is to allow TWRP recovery to be able to boot. Also turn on "USB debugging" while you are there.

2. Download the SuperSU-v2.65-20151226141550.zip to your device. You need to move the zip file from your Downloads folder to somewhere on your external SD card as it will not be deleted from there when you use the "fastboot oem unlock" command in step #6.

3. Download the recovery.img to your computer. If you do not have adb and fastboot setup globally for linux or in your path for windows you need to move the recovery.img to the directory your adb and fastboot is in and open a terminal or command line (depending on your OS) in that directory or cd to that directory. If you do have adb and fastboot globally or in your path you can just open a terminal or command line in the directory you have the recovery.img or cd to the directory you have the recovery.img.

4. Once you have the terminal or command line open run the command "adb devices" to make sure your devices is detected by adb. You may get a toast pop up on your device asking if you to "Allow usb debugging". Except this as this is the RSA key you need to allow your computer to communicate with your device via adb. You should see something like "LGH631dffacad9 device" in your terminal or command line. If you see "unauthorized" instead of "device" you have not excepted the RSA key.

5.Now type the following command in your terminal or command line. Type "adb reboot bootloader". This will reboot your device to fastboot mode. Once in fastboot mode use the "fastboot devices" to make sure your device is recognized by fastboot. You should see something like "dffacad9 fastboot". If you are in Linux and get a error message you may have to use "sudo fastboot devices" for fastboot to work. (If you are using Windows and are having trouble with fastboot recognizing your device you need to install the device drivers. If it still does not work install the drivers again with your device connected to your computer in fastboot mode.)

6. To fully unlock your bootloader you have to use the command "fastboot oem unlock". You have to do this or this root method will not work. But be warned that if you do use this command it will factory reset your device. Plus you will get a line of text saying the bootloader is unlocked on the splash screen when you boot your device.

6-1: If you are wanting to use Kingroot to root your device you can reboot your device now. Open the Kingroot app and let it root your device and then use Flashify, Rashr, or a similar app to flash the recovery. Then boot to recovery and flash the SuperSU.zip in recovery and it will remove Kingroot and have SuperSU installed on your device.

7. Now you can do this two ways if you do not want to keep the stock recovery you can use the command "fastboot flash recovery.img" to install the recovery and then use the command "fastboot reboot recovery" to boot to the TWRP recovery. (If this command gives you issue like it seems to be for many then just use the the following method and then use Flashify or Rashr app to install TWRP after you are done rooting.) If you want to keep the stock recovery you can use the command "fastboot boot recovery.img" to boot to the TWRP recovery.

8. Once you are booted to the TWRP recovery you should make a full backup first so you have a backup to restore to in case things go bad. After you make a backup then select install and then find the SuperSU-v2.65-20151226141550.zip and install it. Once it is installed reboot your device to system. If TWRP gives you a warning about the su binaries missing and asks if you want to install thee su binaries before you reboot select no or it will interfere with the rooting process of the SuperSU.zip. When your device reboots it will boot to the LG splash screen and then reboot again. But then it will boot to the OS but it will take a minute. Make sure you let your device reboot all the way to the lockscreen or home screen depending on if you have a lockscreen enabled or not. You should be fully rooted after this, enjoy.
    Just wanted to confirm that the OP and the instructions worked for my T-Mobile LG G Stylo H631 running the OTA MM 6.0 update and the Software Version is H63120o

I am fully rooted with SuperSu binaries updated.
    Everything went smoothly the first go around and continues to go smoothly without a hitch.

Here is the process I did for those interested or confused or worried:
    -Checked Allow OEM Unlock in Dev options
    -Checked USB Debug in Dev options
    -Installed the ADB and fastboot on linux via sudo apt install android-tools-adb android-tools-fastboot
    -Used my Parrot Security Linux terminal to boot into the bootloader via ADB: sudo adb reboot bootloader
    -Used fastboot oem unlock to unlock my bootloader.
    -Rebooted it and let it go through the update process. I reinstalled all my apps and settings here.
    -Copied the UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.65-20151226141550.zip to my phones internal storage.
    -I rebooted back into the bootloader via ADB in linux terminal.
    -Changed my directory in terminal to the folder I downloaded recovery.img: cd /home/parrot/Downloads
    -Used sudo fastboot boot recovery.img and it loaded TWRP on my phone.
    -From TWRP, I made a complete backup of my system to my SD card.
    -I then clicked "Install" on TWRP, browsed to the location of UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.65-20151226141550.zip file, clicked it and flashed it.
    -Rebooted the phone from there. MAKE SURE TO CLICK NO or DO NOT INSTALL for the su binaries. Do not swipe blindly at this part.
    -Phone booted fine, no multiple reboots.
    -Updated SuperSu binaries and rebooted. Went fine.

Used my Titanium Backup to restore all my previous settings and blah blah.

A+++ to the OP.
    I thought I was NEVER going to get this rooted.

I have yet to flash the TWRP and will leave it that way as I can just boot the TWRP recovery from my computer if I need it. If I do flash the TWRP, I'll update this post to inform others how it went.

~~~~~~~EDIT
    I am now ready to sell this device and have discovered yesterday that after factory resetting the device:
    - It holds tons of information on the device such as personal files, images, downloads and a few programs.
    - Root is gone and recovery can not be accessed no matter what I do or try.

So, I figured I'd manually delete the personal files and be fine.
    I did ANOTHER factory reset and the files were back.
    I assume those files were somehow write protected during a root. Not sure how.

SO, I decided to attempt to root it again using the original method and files:

- ADB rebooted my phone to fastboot.
    - Fastboot freezes or appears to not respond on the phone to the computer after it enters fastboot.
    - I can not detect the device when using command "fastboot device"
    - Trying to reboot the phone by holding down the power button as mentioned on the phone screen does not work at all
    - Had to pull the battery out to reboot the phone.
    - Back at square one.

I decided to install LG Bridge on my windows install and it detected a damaged recovery blah blah.
    I clicked it and it downloaded a ROM that is 1.22GB big and it flashed the image back to my phone and made it stock again.. So, that solved all my issues I had after a factory reset, it removed all my files as well.
    I can confirm starting from scratch like this works again but it's just tedious.
    There is hope for those looking for more information on this.

It is almost impossible to butcher this phone. Almost.
    LG Bridge utility has your back.
    What if we just enable oem unlock in both the system and the bootloader then use adb to push the recovery, superuser, and busybox to the system. King Root caused too many system instabilities, it had injected itself as a system app and after unrooting and uninstalling after a reboot I was left with a soft brick due to a secure boot error 1003. A stock 5.1.1 kdz and the lg flash tool was able to bring my Stylo back to life.

It could all be done by running a simple batch file bundled with everything we need for our device. Linux would probably be the better option but it could work the same in windows.

This would not work because you still would need root to push thesu binaries to system/bin. Now it might be worth trying that while you have TWRP installed as it has access to the system and has root. But if you need to use the TWRP to beable to push the su binaries why noy just flash the zip. Plus the zip does a systemless root on the device so it patches the boot.img as well when you flash it.

Know the insucure boot error you got was probably because you turned the Enable OEM unlock off in developer options and still had a custom ROM on the device like katana.

OKAY [ 0.390s]
    writing 'recovery'...

My apologies as I made a typo in the guide. The correct command is "fastboot flash recovery recovery.img" to flash the recovery. I will fix this along with another rework about putting the SusperSU.zip only on your SD card.

Can I use this guide with my G4 Stylus (H635)?

I do not know if you can use it or not as I do not have that device. But you can try it bit if your device does not boot to fastboot mode when you issue the adb reboot bootloader command then your device's bootloader is not unlockable and this root method will not work for you. But from the posts in this thread point out that Kingroot now works on the 6.0 update so you can also try Kingroot to see if it willroot your device.

OKAY [ 0.390s]
    writing 'recovery'...

Again sorry as this is fully my fault for making the typo on the fastboot command to flash recovery. I am fixing it as soon as I am done with this post.

Thank you for posting this.

Yes this is how I did it when I rooted my device. I will edit the guide some to point this out.

Thank you for posting this so others can see this does work.

OKAY [ 0.359s]
    writing 'recovery'...

I also apologize to you for my mistake. It will be corrected shortly.

Thanks for posting this I will add this to the post as another option to root seeing as it is comfirmed. I will give credit to you and @oskar for this info.