Guide LG G8/G8x/v50 Bootloader Unlock and Magisk Root using Firehose by Seasee606

Search This thread

Khmer_Boy

Apr 25, 2013

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 175
Reactions: moncd6

Khmer_Boy

Apr 25, 2013
Again, read my entire post carefully. There is more to do after formatting data. You cannot expect things to work if you don't follow all the steps.
I’ve followed all the steps....and after format I still can’t access internal storage, unless I root again right? Is that where I have to use qfil to upload the modified Magisk?

Bronnel

Account currently disabled
Nov 14, 2015
GB
meettomy.site
Thank you so much I followed the instructions to the core and everything worked perfect on my unlocked sprint v50 , the active partition was abl_a and I was on june-2021 security patch BTW

AMisteryMan

Mar 22, 2020
HTC One V
LG G5
I followed the guide without checking the requirement for Android 10 (I was on 9). I did back up my abl_a, abl_b, boot_a and boot_b. Can I just restore them with QFIL and redo?

umminkug

Apr 22, 2011
I can’t as TWRP doesn’t recognize the internal storage. Basically, I did everything mentioned and still can’t get the TWRP to recognize it.
You and I missed a "KEY" information in the beginning. You used an Incorrect Region TWRP.

Doing a reset there will give you a bootloop.

Undoing what you did can take some work. Were you able to get it working? Let me know!

JorgeTODOROKI

May 12, 2022
LG G7 ThinQ
Renuncié a desbloquear el bootloader de mi versión Sprint de V50 porque pensé que era imposible. No hasta que encontré esta guía en el foro LG G8.
Creo que es bueno tener la información en el hilo del LG V50 también. El hilo es propiedad de Seasee606.

I gave up on unlocking the bootloader of my V50 sprint version because I thought it was impossible. Not until I stumbled upon this guide in the LG G8 forum.
I think it is good to have the information in the LG V50 thread also. The thread is owned by Seasee606.

I have a problem and it says that it is rooted when I do the maggiks process but when I install applications that need root, they fail, it is as if I did not have root, the applications ask me for root access but it does not work, they leave or if it does not work at all, download the rootchecker application and it says that I have root installed, I install twrp through maggiks and when I boot it it doesn't let me install the roms, I don't know what it could be.

Sykander

Dec 5, 2020
I unlocked bootloader and rooted my LG v50. It's Korean U+ with open EU rom Android 11 V30b.

I successully unlocked my V50 sprint version. It was fairly easy to do it.
1) To be safe, use the original LG cable. was not successful unlocking the bootloader the first time when I used a generic cable. Even though I was able to enter EDL mode.

2) Make sure to verify that the correct abl_a.bin and abl_b.bin versions are downloaded. The size should be about 1MB.

3) One part in the guide that was not clear was which abl engineering image to flash on a and b partitions. Well, it is the downloaded abl_a.bin that should be flashed in the abl_a and abl_b partitions.

I finally got around to rooting my Sprint V50 (LM-V450PM), and I agree that the overall process wasn't difficult. It's just that the guide has little to no explanation for specific models, causing a lot of confusion among users in that thread. It also doesn't help that the guide's OP pretty much posted it, edited it once, and never returned to XDA. And the TWRP installation guide posted by someone else is poorly laid out and has been rightfully criticized by others.

So, here are some pointers from my experience:

- Getting into EDL mode is a bit tricky in getting the timing right, so it may take a few tries to get used to it.

- As has already been mentioned, it's a good idea to use the LG OEM cable to connect the phone to the computer. Some people have been getting a "Sahara fail error" in QFIL that might be due to different cables

- You are backing up the abl and boot partition files for both A and B slots because you don't know yet which slot is active on the phone until you enter fastboot mode, which gets enabled after flashing the modified abl engineering file to replace both abl_a and abl_b partitions.

- For getting root, the newer Magisk versions no longer have a separate Manager APK and ZIP files; they are combined into one APK file now. So, instead of the Manager, you just install the single APK file from the Magisk website. From there, you should be able to patch your boot image file just like it says in the guide.

For TWRP:

- As lallolu mentioned in another post, there are two different versions: One for USA models and one for non-U.S. variants. I'm assuming that the U.S. one is for the Sprint and Verizon V50 while the non-U.S. is for all other types.

- You flash the TWRP ZIP package inside Magisk manually as a module. Note that this will remove root as it tells you on the progress screen when done flashing.

- Since for some reason, the touch screen is not active when entering recovery from a reboot, you need to turn off the phone and then enter recovery via the button combination. Some V50 models appear to have the button combination disabled, and there is a separate guide on here for getting it back, but on the Sprint model, it's still enabled: With the phone off, hold volume-up + power, and when the logo shows up, briefly release the power button while still holding volume-up and then hold power again alongside holding volume-up until the factory reset screen shows up. Answer YES twice, and you will eventually enter TWRP.

- TWRP will greet you with a password, but you just hit cancel to continue and get to the main menu. From there, you'll need to go to Wipe and Format Data (where it will ask you to type "yes") to remove encryption.

- Now you want to get root back by flashing Magisk. All you need to do is rename the Magisk APK file extension to ZIP and flash that in TWRP. Right after that, you should also flash a file called Disable_Dm-Verity_ForceEncrypt_03.04.2020.zip which is also needed to remove encryption.

- Reboot into the system, go through the initial setup, and everything should be set.

For the Verizon model, I'm assuming that the "Enable OEM unlock" switch in the Developer Settings doesn't exist, and so the Verizon FRP image used for the Verizon G8 should also be used. The button combination to enter recovery may also be different. But everything else should be identical to the process for the Sprint model.

I can't thank you both enough for the tips. For a noob like me who was attempting to root for the first time these tips proved invaluable.

I had to load twrp and dm-verity through USB OTG, did panic for a while when my sd card didn't work some reason :D

Sykander

Dec 5, 2020

I have a problem and it says that it is rooted when I do the maggiks process but when I install applications that need root, they fail, it is as if I did not have root, the applications ask me for root access but it does not work, they leave or if it does not work at all, download the rootchecker application and it says that I have root installed, I install twrp through maggiks and when I boot it it doesn't let me install the roms, I don't know what it could be.

Which version of Magisk are you using? For me Solid Explorer / Root Explorer didn't work with Magisk 23 on Android 11. Had to update to Magisk 24.3. With Magisk 23 whenever I tried to use the explorer apps they wouldn't be able to access the root directories.

trpwinsall

Jan 4, 2014
I have a v450pm (sprint) on android 10. Bought phone used. I got the bootloader unlocked pretty quickly and easily, although one curious thing I ran into was that the developer abl used for fastboot booted my phone as normal before AND after bootloader unlock. I did not lose any functionality at all, where as others had mentioned bootloops/touch screen issues, etc. etc. anyhow, just wanted to mention it as it was a very strange occurance. I did reload my original abl files once done though as per instructions. Stopped at bootloader unlock. No root, as is not needed for my purposes.

Now here is where I could use some help and/or friendly advice.

I am just trying to downgrade from android 10 to 9; completely stock except for unlocked bootloader. My purpose is to restore DSD playback/decoding through the quad dac, which is broken in android 10 although phone and dac are fully capable. I am putting together what I call a “poor man’s portable audiophile experience.”

I have downloaded the full flash dump from a v450pm (sprint) on android 9 that was posted here in these forums, but I am unsure of which exact files need to to be flashed as there are well over 100 in the zip, and I only need the elements necessary to boot android 9; everything else is fine. I know at least the basics that I should have vendor, system, product, and modem. I do not know which others are required to flash.

Would someone please kindly tell me which exact files to flash from the zip?

Can I just use QFIL to flash the necessary files in the correct spots? Or do I need to use fastboot to flash them?

Essentially just trying to find the easiest/least complicated way to downgrade from A10 to A9 and I have all the files / elements necessary, just need a map so to speak 🤓

Thank you in advance!!!! Cheers!!!!

Squeeto

May 3, 2012
I finally got around to rooting my Sprint V50 (LM-V450PM), and I agree that the overall process wasn't difficult. It's just that the guide has little to no explanation for specific models, causing a lot of confusion among users in that thread. It also doesn't help that the guide's OP pretty much posted it, edited it once, and never returned to XDA. And the TWRP installation guide posted by someone else is poorly laid out and has been rightfully criticized by others.

- Getting into EDL mode is a bit tricky in getting the timing right, so it may take a few tries to get used to it.

- As has already been mentioned, it's a good idea to use the LG OEM cable to connect the phone to the computer. Some people have been getting a "Sahara fail error" in QFIL that might be due to different cables

- You are backing up the abl and boot partition files for both A and B slots because you don't know yet which slot is active on the phone until you enter fastboot mode, which gets enabled after flashing the modified abl engineering file to replace both abl_a and abl_b partitions.

- For getting root, the newer Magisk versions no longer have a separate Manager APK and ZIP files; they are combined into one APK file now. So, instead of the Manager, you just install the single APK file from the Magisk website. From there, you should be able to patch your boot image file just like it says in the guide.

For TWRP:

- As lallolu mentioned in another post, there are two different versions: One for USA models and one for non-U.S. variants. I'm assuming that the U.S. one is for the Sprint and Verizon V50 while the non-U.S. is for all other types.

- You flash the TWRP ZIP package inside Magisk manually as a module. Note that this will remove root as it tells you on the progress screen when done flashing.

- Since for some reason, the touch screen is not active when entering recovery from a reboot, you need to turn off the phone and then enter recovery via the button combination. Some V50 models appear to have the button combination disabled, and there is a separate guide on here for getting it back, but on the Sprint model, it's still enabled: With the phone off, hold volume-up + power, and when the logo shows up, briefly release the power button while still holding volume-up and then hold power again alongside holding volume-up until the factory reset screen shows up. Answer YES twice, and you will eventually enter TWRP.

- TWRP will greet you with a password, but you just hit cancel to continue and get to the main menu. From there, you'll need to go to Wipe and Format Data (where it will ask you to type "yes") to remove encryption.

- Now you want to get root back by flashing Magisk. All you need to do is rename the Magisk APK file extension to ZIP and flash that in TWRP. Right after that, you should also flash a file called Disable_Dm-Verity_ForceEncrypt_03.04.2020.zip which is also needed to remove encryption.

- Reboot into the system, go through the initial setup, and everything should be set.

For the Verizon model, I'm assuming that the "Enable OEM unlock" switch in the Developer Settings doesn't exist, and so the Verizon FRP image used for the Verizon G8 should also be used. The button combination to enter recovery may also be different. But everything else should be identical to the process for the Sprint model.
Thank you for the needed clarity but I still have an issue.
Korean LM-V500N
rooted
Magisk-v26.4 installed and patched
twrp-installer-v3.3.1-V50_ab.zip installed
from twrp > Wipe > Format
> install Magisk
> install Disable_Dm-Verity_ForceEncrypt_03.04.2020.zip
boot to system > HANGS at SKT 5G

In twrp, i do get a Failed to mount '/Metadata' (Unknown error 150) for the installs.

Any ideas?

C D

Thank you for the needed clarity but I still have an issue.
Korean LM-V500N
rooted
Magisk-v26.4 installed and patched
twrp-installer-v3.3.1-V50_ab.zip installed
from twrp > Wipe > Format
> install Magisk
> install Disable_Dm-Verity_ForceEncrypt_03.04.2020.zip
boot to system > HANGS at SKT 5G

In twrp, i do get a Failed to mount '/Metadata' (Unknown error 150) for the installs.

Any ideas?
Not sure. Maybe try one of the older Magisk versions and see if that works.

Squeeto

May 3, 2012
Not sure. Maybe try one of the older Magisk versions and see if that works.
The only way that I could get past the SKT carrier banner was to uninstall TWRP from the Advanced tab in TWRP. But on boot to system, I still had root, Magisk and TWRP as long as I selected "Do Not Install" TWRP stuff at boot to system.
How do I know if I still have the Disable_Dm-Verity mods?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

For TWRP:

I gave up on unlocking the bootloader of my V50 sprint version because I thought it was impossible. Not until I stumbled upon this guide in the LG G8 forum.
    I think it is good to have the information in the LG V50 thread also. The thread is owned by Seasee606.

good idea !

I ve put this thread in the LG V50 wiki : https://android.fandom.com/wiki/V50_ThinQ ! - everybody is welcome to contribute :)

I ve just received my korean V50 and I ll try to bootloaderunlock-root it as soon as I ll have the time ...
    nice (and strange !) surprise :
    * after bootloader unlock I was supposed to enter "fastboot flash abl_a abl_a.bin" and "fastboot flash abl_b abl_b.bin" but the phone rebooted without issue (telling me first I was bl-unlocked)
    Oh I had to "fastboot flash abl_a abl_a.bin" and "fastboot flash abl_b abl_b.bin" otherwise my software version would be LM-G850N20z (instead of V500N20z) ;)
    I successully unlocked my V50 sprint version. It was fairly easy to do it.
    1) To be safe, use the original LG cable. was not successful unlocking the bootloader the first time when I used a generic cable. Even though I was able to enter EDL mode.

2) Make sure to verify that the correct abl_a.bin and abl_b.bin versions are downloaded. The size should be about 1MB.

3) One part in the guide that was not clear was which abl engineering image to flash on a and b partitions. Well, it is the downloaded abl_a.bin that should be flashed in the abl_a and abl_b partitions.