Guide LG G8/G8x/v50 Bootloader Unlock and Magisk Root using Firehose

Search This thread

Seasee606

May 28, 2019
Disclaimer: I am not responsible for any problems from using this guide.
Works for G8, G8s, G8x, and v50
Confirmed working on G8 and v50

Requirements: Android 10

QFIL: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1P7uGjIirqGRdkwlxgKf_idepDlv6_u-q/view?usp=sharing
QFIL Driver: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sPJm1RuSoVX9JMEs-Gx8xNuEDadO6rpj/view?usp=sharing
LG Mobile Driver:
ADB: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nvlwaicFpDN_4DGR0BZRWUDgwQwYzOhS/view?usp=sharing
Firehose: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ekI_d2-P9GdoakkSgk2hK1WHbQLIPlTQ/view?usp=sharing
abl: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sye4gXsDfD8JVF5qfAMG_GDxSLKY6J6Q/view?usp=sharing

Verizon LG G8 only frp: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1294cXerj2_EkeGw1p38CcVPuyRfdS9N5/view?usp=sharing
This Verizon FRP img was only tested on LG G8 Verizon and is not recommended to be used on other Verizon Variants as it will prevent the phone from booting.

Bootloader Unlock
Unlocking your bootloader will erase all data on your phone

First Install LG Mobile Driver, QFIL driver, and QFIL (Select first option, WWAN)

All Variants other than Verizon: Go to Settings, > System > About Phone > Software Info > Tap Build Number 7 Times.
Go back to Settings > System > Developer Options. Check Enable OEM Unlock
Enable OEM Unlock.jpg

Boot you phone into EDL
You can make sure that your phone is in EDL by plugging your phone to your pc and checking the Device Manager > Ports > Qualcom HS-USB QDLoader 9008 (COM#)
Device Manager - Ports.jpg
Hold Vol- and Power, when the phone screen turns off to restart begin quickly pressing the vol+ but keep holding vol- and power.
Here is a youtube video of how to boot to EDL:

Open QFIL, Select your Phone's Port, Select Flat Build under Select Build Type, Select the Firehose.elf file under Select Programmer, on the bottom right of QFIL select UFS as the Storage Type.
QFIL.jpg
Click Tools > Partition Manager.
Find Abl_a and right click on it and select Manage Partition Data. Click Read to backup your abl_a.
right click manage partition data.jpg
Go to Windows Explorer and go to C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\Qualcomm\QFIL\COMPORT#
Rename your ReadData_ufs_Lun4.bin to abl_a.bin
change readdata to abl.jpg

Do the same with abl_b, boot_a, and boot_b.
Boot_a and Boot_b is for Magisk Root. Skip if you only want Bootloader Unlock.
abl a and b finished.jpg
Close Partition Manager. Your phone will reboot to EDL on its own after pressing OK. Wait on that.

Go back to Partition Manager and right click on abl_a again then select Manage Partition Data, then Select Load and choose the abl engineering file.
Do the same for abl_b.
Close Partition Manager. Your phone will reboot to EDL on its own after pressing OK. Wait on that.

Reboot to Fastboot. Hold Vol- and Power then release power when reboot starts and keep holding vol-
If that doesn't work unplug and Power off your phone. Hold vol- and plug it in. It should go into fastboot.
Once your phone is in Fastboot it should say
Device State: Locked and Active A/B Slot - _a or _b
remember whichever slot your device says and stay on that slot, you may risk bricking if you change to the other slot. You also need this for Root later.
Fastboot Bootloader Locked and Slot.jpg

Extract the ADB.zip
open a Command Prompt and change the directory to the adb folder you just extracted
cd C:\adb
run fastboot devices in that command prompt. it should show "LMG850UM fastboot"

Move the backed up abl_a.bin and abl_b.bin to the adb folder, also frp_verizon.img if you have the verizon LG G8.
Move abl a and b to adb folder.jpg
Verizon LG G8 only: Run fastboot flash frp frp_verizon.img then fastboot reboot-bootloader

Reboot to Fastboot. Hold Vol- and Power then release power when reboot starts and keep holding vol-
If that doesn't work unplug and Power off your phone. Hold vol- and plug it in. It should go into fastboot.
Run fastboot oem unlock
Select Unlock The Bootloader with your arrow keys and press the Power Button
BL Unlock NoYes.jpg
Reboot back to the Bootloader. Unplug your phone, Power off, Hold Vol-, then Plug it in.
Your phone should say Device State – unlocked now
Fastboot Bootloader Unlocked and Slot.jpg

Now fastboot flash abl_a abl_a.bin
and fastboot flash abl_b abl_b.bin
Finish with fastboot reboot
Your Phone Is now Bootloader Unlocked.

Magisk Root
Only do this after you have followed the above guide and have Unlocked your Bootloader.

Magisk
Xda Forum: https://forum.xda-developers.com/f/magisk.5903/
Xda Thread: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/magisk-the-magic-mask-for-android.3473445/
Github Page: https://github.com/topjohnwu/Magisk

Find the slot you are on from the fastboot bootloader earlier
Go to Windows Explorer and go to C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\Qualcomm\QFIL\COMPORT#
Transfer to your phone the boot_a.bin or boot_b.bin that you backed up in the COMPORT# folder.

Download and install Magisk Manager.
Open Magisk Manager and beside Magisk hit "Install" then "Select and Patch a File" and select the boot_a.bin or boot_b.bin.
After Magisk has patched your boot img you should have magisk_patched#####.img in your phones Download folder.
Transfer it to your PC.

Reboot to EDL
Open QFIL. Click Tools > Partition Manager.
Find the slot you are on from the fastboot bootloader earlier and right click on either boot_a or boot_b and select Manage Partition Data.
Click Load and select the magisk_patched#####.img file you transfered from your phone.
Wait for it to finish then Close Partition Manager. Your phone will reboot to EDL on its own after pressing OK. Wait on that.

Reboot to System by holding vol- and power till your phone reboots out of EDL then release both.
Your phone is now Bootloader Unlocked with Magisk Root.

Hopefully this helps.
This guide was written by me, but the information was provided by Cloud1250000.
If there are any errors let me know and I will fix.

Last edited:

cloud1250000

Jul 4, 2011
Ottawa
¿Alguien ya ha probado si es estable es root? ¿O se elimina después de cada reinicio?

use google translator next time.
"
Has anyone already tested if root is stable? Or is it removed after every reboot?
"

yes it stays after reboot.. you basically root the normal way.. by patching boot.. because you unlock the bootloader before that.

squiggletry

Jan 24, 2021
worked on korean v50 (v500n)

for qfil to work, I had to use windows server 2019. linux should work too. i had errors on both my main machine and my laptop, both of which are running win 10 pro

for fastboot to work, I had to enable testmode (requires you to turn off secure boot in your uefi)

thanks to cloud1250000 for helping me through the process

Last edited:

anhtuan70000

Jul 10, 2020
Phone model? Firmware?

Did you restore the abl_a and abl_b with the backup you made?

It losts touch at what step in the guide?
thanks for reply
my devices: lg g8 sprint g820u21d
i think i solved it, just restore the abl_a and abl_b but my device doesnt have root. i follow magisk root step , try many time but no luck.

edit: Finally i dit it !!

Last edited:

tpetris

Jun 12, 2020
Hi!
I have an LG G8 from Amazon ( Open US?) .
I need root to update the VowiFi operators in the LG files to use VoWiFi in Europe.
I guess i need root and verity disabled?
It's still on Android 9 and i want it on Android 9.
It's there any way to use your guide and still be on Android 9?
Any tips about my goal would be appreciated!

wwechampian

Dec 27, 2009
I know it says that Android 10 is required but will this work with Android 9 on G8 G820UM? I have a AT&T G8 that is stuck on Android 9. I tried to manually flash a Android 10 KDZ via modified LG UP but it gets stuck on LG Logo so I flashed an Android 9 KDZ and the phone works fine (the serial # was wiped unfortunately :-(). It obviously doesn't get any OTA updates either. I am wondering if there is any that I can update the phone manually to Android 10.

Mr.PvT

Dec 3, 2020
I know it says that Android 10 is required but will this work with Android 9 on G8 G820UM? I have a AT&T G8 that is stuck on Android 9. I tried to manually flash a Android 10 KDZ via modified LG UP but it gets stuck on LG Logo so I flashed an Android 9 KDZ and the phone works fine (the serial # was wiped unfortunately :-(). It obviously doesn't get any OTA updates either. I am wondering if there is any that I can update the phone manually to Android 10.
It is upgradable to android 10

Tugboat Tony

Apr 26, 2010
I'm working with Sprint g8 Thinq LM-G820UMKIT on Android 10. Every time i go to Partition Manager it starts connecting to my phone and sits for about a minute then it come back with an error saying "DownloadFail:Sahara Fail:QSharaServerFailProcess fail".

Its on Flat build
Its has the right programmer path set to the firehose file
and it is set to ufs storage type

Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Reactions: kingnoobchase

iminensomhet

Aug 14, 2011
I'm working with Sprint g8 Thinq LM-G820UMKIT on Android 10. Every time i go to Partition Manager it starts connecting to my phone and sits for about a minute then it come back with an error saying "DownloadFail:Sahara Fail:QSharaServerFailProcess fail".

Its on Flat build
Its has the right programmer path set to the firehose file
and it is set to ufs storage type

Any suggestions?
You need to unistall QFIL and instal other version until you can, what version of firmware have your phone?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I am having the same problem. I cant go into fastboot to check the active slot either. I tried the button combo and also the vol- and usb combo. Cant access fast boot. Everytime i try to flash the magisk patched file, it causes me to go into boot loop. I had it rooted before but tried using TWRP to format data and do the dm-verity disable and then it bricked so i had to reflash my original boot_b. Any ideas?
    fastboot only shows up when you are using abl engineering, reflash it and shutdown the phone totally, hold down volume and plug usb type c cable, fastboot will show up
    Does anyone know of a root explorer that works with LG phones, allows read/write not just read
    Yeah, "Root Explorer"
    Disclaimer: I am not responsible for any problems from using this guide.
    Works for G8, G8s, G8x, and v50
    Confirmed working on G8 and v50

Requirements: Android 10

QFIL: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1P7uGjIirqGRdkwlxgKf_idepDlv6_u-q/view?usp=sharing
    QFIL Driver: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sPJm1RuSoVX9JMEs-Gx8xNuEDadO6rpj/view?usp=sharing
    LG Mobile Driver:
    ADB: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nvlwaicFpDN_4DGR0BZRWUDgwQwYzOhS/view?usp=sharing
    Firehose: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ekI_d2-P9GdoakkSgk2hK1WHbQLIPlTQ/view?usp=sharing
    abl: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sye4gXsDfD8JVF5qfAMG_GDxSLKY6J6Q/view?usp=sharing

Verizon LG G8 only frp: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1294cXerj2_EkeGw1p38CcVPuyRfdS9N5/view?usp=sharing
    This Verizon FRP img was only tested on LG G8 Verizon and is not recommended to be used on other Verizon Variants as it will prevent the phone from booting.

Bootloader Unlock
    Unlocking your bootloader will erase all data on your phone

First Install LG Mobile Driver, QFIL driver, and QFIL (Select first option, WWAN)

All Variants other than Verizon: Go to Settings, > System > About Phone > Software Info > Tap Build Number 7 Times.
    Go back to Settings > System > Developer Options. Check Enable OEM Unlock
    Enable OEM Unlock.jpg

Boot you phone into EDL
    You can make sure that your phone is in EDL by plugging your phone to your pc and checking the Device Manager > Ports > Qualcom HS-USB QDLoader 9008 (COM#)
    Device Manager - Ports.jpg
    Hold Vol- and Power, when the phone screen turns off to restart begin quickly pressing the vol+ but keep holding vol- and power.
    Here is a youtube video of how to boot to EDL:

Open QFIL, Select your Phone's Port, Select Flat Build under Select Build Type, Select the Firehose.elf file under Select Programmer, on the bottom right of QFIL select UFS as the Storage Type.
    QFIL.jpg
    Click Tools > Partition Manager.
    Find Abl_a and right click on it and select Manage Partition Data. Click Read to backup your abl_a.
    right click manage partition data.jpg
    Rename your ReadData_ufs_Lun4.bin to abl_a.bin
    change readdata to abl.jpg

Do the same with abl_b, boot_a, and boot_b.
    Boot_a and Boot_b is for Magisk Root. Skip if you only want Bootloader Unlock.
    abl a and b finished.jpg

Go back to Partition Manager and right click on abl_a again then select Manage Partition Data, then Select Load and choose the abl engineering file.
    Do the same for abl_b.

Once your phone is in Fastboot it should say
    Device State: Locked and Active A/B Slot - _a or _b
    remember whichever slot your device says and stay on that slot, you may risk bricking if you change to the other slot. You also need this for Root later.
    Fastboot Bootloader Locked and Slot.jpg

Extract the ADB.zip
    open a Command Prompt and change the directory to the adb folder you just extracted
    cd C:\adb
    run fastboot devices in that command prompt. it should show "LMG850UM fastboot"

Move the backed up abl_a.bin and abl_b.bin to the adb folder, also frp_verizon.img if you have the verizon LG G8.
    Move abl a and b to adb folder.jpg
    Verizon LG G8 only: Run fastboot flash frp frp_verizon.img then fastboot reboot-bootloader

Run fastboot oem unlock
    Select Unlock The Bootloader with your arrow keys and press the Power Button
    BL Unlock NoYes.jpg
    Reboot back to the Bootloader. Unplug your phone, Power off, Hold Vol-, then Plug it in.
    Your phone should say Device State – unlocked now
    Fastboot Bootloader Unlocked and Slot.jpg

Now fastboot flash abl_a abl_a.bin
    and fastboot flash abl_b abl_b.bin
    Finish with fastboot reboot
    Your Phone Is now Bootloader Unlocked.

Magisk Root
    Only do this after you have followed the above guide and have Unlocked your Bootloader.

Magisk
    Xda Forum: https://forum.xda-developers.com/f/magisk.5903/
    Xda Thread: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/magisk-the-magic-mask-for-android.3473445/
    Github Page: https://github.com/topjohnwu/Magisk

Find the slot you are on from the fastboot bootloader earlier
    Transfer to your phone the boot_a.bin or boot_b.bin that you backed up in the COMPORT# folder.

Download and install Magisk Manager.
    Open Magisk Manager and beside Magisk hit "Install" then "Select and Patch a File" and select the boot_a.bin or boot_b.bin.
    After Magisk has patched your boot img you should have magisk_patched#####.img in your phones Download folder.
    Transfer it to your PC.

Reboot to EDL
    Open QFIL. Click Tools > Partition Manager.
    Find the slot you are on from the fastboot bootloader earlier and right click on either boot_a or boot_b and select Manage Partition Data.
    Click Load and select the magisk_patched#####.img file you transfered from your phone.
    Wait for it to finish then Close Partition Manager. Your phone will reboot to EDL on its own after pressing OK. Wait on that.

Reboot to System by holding vol- and power till your phone reboots out of EDL then release both.
    Your phone is now Bootloader Unlocked with Magisk Root.

Hopefully this helps.
    This guide was written by me, but the information was provided by Cloud1250000.
    If there are any errors let me know and I will fix.
    can't access download mode. getting waring that the phone didn't pass safety check and keeps on booting to fastboot mode. any help will be greatly appreciated. was trying to root and this happened. bootloader is unlocked. can access fastboot but no download mode. V500N

I had similar experience, it's just a lil tricky. I found it was easiest to boot phone completely, plug into computer, you hear the pc chime when phone is recognized, at that point hold the vol - and power until the pc chimes the disconnect, then immediately release the power button and tap the vol + repeatedly (usually 1-3 times) until the PC chimes connected, this all while still holding vol -. Practice how to hold the phone, release power and tap a few time and then it was easy.
    It should since the abl used is from a g8x and it worked on my v50 sprint.. :)
    My experience was Nothing like yours. I had a stock v50. In the thread I linked they did discuss the touch functionality in twrp. I launch recovery from vol - and power buttons and touch control was fine. The only thing worthy of comment from my point of view was, after twrp install I had to re-root through magisk manager and QFIL.
    Touch in TWRP only work when booting using the button combo :)
    thanks for reply
    my devices: lg g8 sprint g820u21d
    i think i solved it, just restore the abl_a and abl_b but my device doesnt have root. i follow magisk root step , try many time but no luck.

edit: Finally i dit it !!

Yeah who would have thought it was important to follow all the steps...
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone