Guide LG G8/G8x/v50 Bootloader Unlock and Magisk Root using Firehose

Search This thread

Naulels

Aug 3, 2015
Xiaomi Redmi 8
worked on korean v50 (v500n)

for qfil to work, I had to use windows server 2019. linux should work too. i had errors on both my main machine and my laptop, both of which are running win 10 pro

for fastboot to work, I had to enable testmode (requires you to turn off secure boot in your uefi)

thanks to cloud1250000 for helping me through the process
What is the abl and frp do you use, where can I download, please?

luffyacekun

Feb 19, 2021
Hi, my phone is Lg V50 Sprint, I rooted it and used for about 3 weeks, yesterday I did a reboot and got bootloop.
I went to QFIL and reflash my boot_a boot_b but its didn't work. Now my phone cannot boot to Android. after show android logo, it turned off. I still can access 9008 mode. But since reflash abl_a abl_b boot_a boot_b won't work, I don't know what to do next. (in the 3 weeks rooted using, I was remove some bloatware using luckypatcher, maybe that cause my problem.) Please help me.

P/s: Nevermind, I saved it ;)

Last edited:

AlmanGP

Jan 7, 2021
Bolivia
Hi, Thank you for the tutorial. I have rooted my phone once. My phone is v50 sprint. I follow another tutorial to remove sprint's bloatware and bootup animation.
I've use magisk to flash twrp (and lost root), then twrp some how cannot mount my storage so I cannot flash anything.
I decided to go back qfil to flash magisk back but after flash magisk image I've got bootloop.
I went back to qfil and flashed stock boot_a.bin. then I can boot but there is something strange. the sprint's boot animation disappeared, my phone show LG's boot animation.
Now i can totaly using my phone but I cannot root it one more time. follow the button combine to fastboot will direct me to the recovery (image 2: something like this, this is not my phone, I downloaded this image from internet)
I've tried to patch my boot_a.bin again using magisk manager but still get bootloop.
I have lost my fastboot menu, is there anyway can I get it back?
p/s: I am not a native speaker, so if there is some thing hard to understand, please let me know.
I have the same problem, I can't re-root
any idea? please

Last edited:

AlmanGP

Jan 7, 2021
Bolivia
reflash abl engineering file and check your active slot. In my case, It went from slot a to slot b. Repatch your active slot boot file by magisk manager (boot_b.bin in my case).
I did it but I was unsuccessful

I put the abl_a file back on abl_a and abl_b
then i looked and i was in fastboot "Active A/B Slot - _b"
then reboot the system open Magisk hit "Install" then "Select and Patch a File" and select the boot_b.bin
I Reboot to EDL
Open QFIL
on boot_b flash magisk_patched.img
reboot and only enter on fastboot

I put the original boot_b and reboot normal

I also tried putting the original abl_a and abl_b first and it remains rebooting in loop

luffyacekun

Feb 19, 2021

then reboot the system open Magisk hit "Install" then "Select and Patch a File" and select the boot_b.bin
I Reboot to EDL
Open QFIL

I also tried putting the original abl_a and abl_b first and it remains rebooting in loop
I'm not sure, but if you can, try to do a factory reset first, it might be help.

jorgosas

Apr 10, 2021

I Reboot to EDL
Open QFIL

I am having the same problem. I cant go into fastboot to check the active slot either. I tried the button combo and also the vol- and usb combo. Cant access fast boot. Everytime i try to flash the magisk patched file, it causes me to go into boot loop. I had it rooted before but tried using TWRP to format data and do the dm-verity disable and then it bricked so i had to reflash my original boot_b. Any ideas?

luffyacekun

Feb 19, 2021
I am having the same problem. I cant go into fastboot to check the active slot either. I tried the button combo and also the vol- and usb combo. Cant access fast boot. Everytime i try to flash the magisk patched file, it causes me to go into boot loop. I had it rooted before but tried using TWRP to format data and do the dm-verity disable and then it bricked so i had to reflash my original boot_b. Any ideas?
fastboot only shows up when you are using abl engineering, reflash it and shutdown the phone totally, hold down volume and plug usb type c cable, fastboot will show up

Reactions: mangojain

mangojain

Jul 24, 2010
fastboot only shows up when you are using abl engineering, reflash it and shutdown the phone totally, hold down volume and plug usb type c cable, fastboot will show up
Are you sure that the phone will go into fastboot mode once the engg abl is flashed? If it otherwise doesn't go into that mode at all, whether through key combination or adb reboot bootloader command.

mangojain

Jul 24, 2010
Are you sure that the phone will go into fastboot mode once the engg abl is flashed? If it otherwise doesn't go into that mode at all, whether through key combination or adb reboot bootloader command.
Does anyone know of a root explorer that works with LG phones, allows read/write not just read

luffyacekun

Feb 19, 2021
the screen that you can see active slot is engineering abl file. after flash it using qfil there are two options:
1. hold volume - and power (it will take time, your phone will reboot from 9008 mode) when device manager on windows show that your phone is disconnected, release power button, still keep holding volume down, you can get into fastboot.
2. if the first method doen't work, try to power off then plug usb cable while holding volume down button. (this one always works for me)
p/s: my phone is LG V50 sprint, I'm not sure with other brands

mangojain

Jul 24, 2010
Thanks, i tried this procedure earlier and failed and i had given up, but on reading your post i gave it another shot yesterday on my 820TM and everything worked at the end.
The main points i want to list, for the benefit of others -
1. Fastboot works only once, after you flash the engg abl. After unlocking the bootloader, when you flash back abl_a and abl_b, fastboot mode will stop working again
2. When trying to go into TWRP through the key combination, your phone may go only into the stock recovery. Don't worry, choose the option to erase all and continue, it will take finally take you into TWRP after a couple of iterations
3. To get VoLTE working on your 820TM on non T-Mobile networks, you essentially need to modify the cust.prop, apns.xml and vo_config.xml files.

It feels great to finally crack the VoLTE issue and get it working on the 820TM in India.
Unfortunately, i have not been able to replicate the procedure on my 820QM7 (unlocked version). For some reason, TWRP fails to decrypt the internal storage. I have tried everything that i could find on the Net, but nothing has worked. It seems that there is nothing to do but wait for a working TWRP3.5 for the Pie branch to come along. If anyone has any advice on the topic, it is welcome. I have kept the QM7 with Magisk installed, looking at the files mentioned above (cust.prop, apns.xml and vo_config.xml) which just need a slight modification, but can't edit the files :-(

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Man I genuinely feel bad for you people that attempted this, failed, and got zero support from the OP.
    does this work with LM-V510N? Thank you
    Does anyone know of a root explorer that works with LG phones, allows read/write not just read
    Yeah, "Root Explorer"
    I attempted to unlock my bootloader a while back. I was unsuccessful. I contacted LG and found out that my phone was still under warranty. So I sent it back to them and got it back from them within a week. They fixed it for free. I got lucky. They changed the motherboard for me. : )
    Disclaimer: I am not responsible for any problems from using this guide.
    Works for G8, G8s, G8x, and v50
    Confirmed working on G8 and v50

Requirements: Android 10

QFIL: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1P7uGjIirqGRdkwlxgKf_idepDlv6_u-q/view?usp=sharing
    QFIL Driver: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sPJm1RuSoVX9JMEs-Gx8xNuEDadO6rpj/view?usp=sharing
    LG Mobile Driver:
    ADB: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nvlwaicFpDN_4DGR0BZRWUDgwQwYzOhS/view?usp=sharing
    Firehose: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ekI_d2-P9GdoakkSgk2hK1WHbQLIPlTQ/view?usp=sharing
    abl: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sye4gXsDfD8JVF5qfAMG_GDxSLKY6J6Q/view?usp=sharing

Verizon LG G8 only frp: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1294cXerj2_EkeGw1p38CcVPuyRfdS9N5/view?usp=sharing
    This Verizon FRP img was only tested on LG G8 Verizon and is not recommended to be used on other Verizon Variants as it will prevent the phone from booting.

Bootloader Unlock
    Unlocking your bootloader will erase all data on your phone

First Install LG Mobile Driver, QFIL driver, and QFIL (Select first option, WWAN)

All Variants other than Verizon: Go to Settings, > System > About Phone > Software Info > Tap Build Number 7 Times.
    Go back to Settings > System > Developer Options. Check Enable OEM Unlock
    Enable OEM Unlock.jpg

Boot you phone into EDL
    You can make sure that your phone is in EDL by plugging your phone to your pc and checking the Device Manager > Ports > Qualcom HS-USB QDLoader 9008 (COM#)
    Device Manager - Ports.jpg
    Hold Vol- and Power, when the phone screen turns off to restart begin quickly pressing the vol+ but keep holding vol- and power.
    Here is a youtube video of how to boot to EDL:

Open QFIL, Select your Phone's Port, Select Flat Build under Select Build Type, Select the Firehose.elf file under Select Programmer, on the bottom right of QFIL select UFS as the Storage Type.
    QFIL.jpg
    Click Tools > Partition Manager.
    Find Abl_a and right click on it and select Manage Partition Data. Click Read to backup your abl_a.
    right click manage partition data.jpg
    Go to Windows Explorer and go to C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\Qualcomm\QFIL\COMPORT#
    Rename your ReadData_ufs_Lun4.bin to abl_a.bin
    change readdata to abl.jpg

Do the same with abl_b, boot_a, and boot_b.
    Boot_a and Boot_b is for Magisk Root. Skip if you only want Bootloader Unlock.
    abl a and b finished.jpg
    Close Partition Manager. Your phone will reboot to EDL on its own after pressing OK. Wait on that.

Go back to Partition Manager and right click on abl_a again then select Manage Partition Data, then Select Load and choose the abl engineering file.
    Do the same for abl_b.
    Close Partition Manager. Your phone will reboot to EDL on its own after pressing OK. Wait on that.

Reboot to Fastboot. Hold Vol- and Power then release power when reboot starts and keep holding vol-
    If that doesn't work unplug and Power off your phone. Hold vol- and plug it in. It should go into fastboot.
    Once your phone is in Fastboot it should say
    Device State: Locked and Active A/B Slot - _a or _b
    remember whichever slot your device says and stay on that slot, you may risk bricking if you change to the other slot. You also need this for Root later.
    Fastboot Bootloader Locked and Slot.jpg

Extract the ADB.zip
    open a Command Prompt and change the directory to the adb folder you just extracted
    cd C:\adb
    run fastboot devices in that command prompt. it should show "LMG850UM fastboot"

Move the backed up abl_a.bin and abl_b.bin to the adb folder, also frp_verizon.img if you have the verizon LG G8.
    Move abl a and b to adb folder.jpg
    Verizon LG G8 only: Run fastboot flash frp frp_verizon.img then fastboot reboot-bootloader

Reboot to Fastboot. Hold Vol- and Power then release power when reboot starts and keep holding vol-
    If that doesn't work unplug and Power off your phone. Hold vol- and plug it in. It should go into fastboot.
    Run fastboot oem unlock
    Select Unlock The Bootloader with your arrow keys and press the Power Button
    BL Unlock NoYes.jpg
    Reboot back to the Bootloader. Unplug your phone, Power off, Hold Vol-, then Plug it in.
    Your phone should say Device State – unlocked now
    Fastboot Bootloader Unlocked and Slot.jpg

Now fastboot flash abl_a abl_a.bin
    and fastboot flash abl_b abl_b.bin
    Finish with fastboot reboot
    Your Phone Is now Bootloader Unlocked.

Magisk Root
    Only do this after you have followed the above guide and have Unlocked your Bootloader.

Magisk
    Xda Forum: https://forum.xda-developers.com/f/magisk.5903/
    Xda Thread: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/magisk-the-magic-mask-for-android.3473445/
    Github Page: https://github.com/topjohnwu/Magisk

Find the slot you are on from the fastboot bootloader earlier
    Go to Windows Explorer and go to C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\Qualcomm\QFIL\COMPORT#
    Transfer to your phone the boot_a.bin or boot_b.bin that you backed up in the COMPORT# folder.

Download and install Magisk Manager.
    Open Magisk Manager and beside Magisk hit "Install" then "Select and Patch a File" and select the boot_a.bin or boot_b.bin.
    After Magisk has patched your boot img you should have magisk_patched#####.img in your phones Download folder.
    Transfer it to your PC.

Reboot to EDL
    Open QFIL. Click Tools > Partition Manager.
    Find the slot you are on from the fastboot bootloader earlier and right click on either boot_a or boot_b and select Manage Partition Data.
    Click Load and select the magisk_patched#####.img file you transfered from your phone.
    Wait for it to finish then Close Partition Manager. Your phone will reboot to EDL on its own after pressing OK. Wait on that.

Reboot to System by holding vol- and power till your phone reboots out of EDL then release both.
    Your phone is now Bootloader Unlocked with Magisk Root.

Hopefully this helps.
    This guide was written by me, but the information was provided by Cloud1250000.
    If there are any errors let me know and I will fix.
    My experience was Nothing like yours. I had a stock v50. In the thread I linked they did discuss the touch functionality in twrp. I launch recovery from vol - and power buttons and touch control was fine. The only thing worthy of comment from my point of view was, after twrp install I had to re-root through magisk manager and QFIL.
    Touch in TWRP only work when booting using the button combo :)
    can't access download mode. getting waring that the phone didn't pass safety check and keeps on booting to fastboot mode. any help will be greatly appreciated. was trying to root and this happened. bootloader is unlocked. can access fastboot but no download mode. V500N

I had similar experience, it's just a lil tricky. I found it was easiest to boot phone completely, plug into computer, you hear the pc chime when phone is recognized, at that point hold the vol - and power until the pc chimes the disconnect, then immediately release the power button and tap the vol + repeatedly (usually 1-3 times) until the PC chimes connected, this all while still holding vol -. Practice how to hold the phone, release power and tap a few time and then it was easy.
    Go back to Partition Manager and right click on abl_a again then select Manage Partition Data, then Select Load and choose the abl engineering file.
    Do the same for abl_b.

Maybe I'm not catching on to something but, following the guide I don't have a abl_b.bin file besides the one backed up.
    There was a link provided for an abl_a.bin file.
    What am I not understanding?

Okay I got it this morning. Reread it still didn't understand but had some hunches so check around the net about LG dual sim unlocking and then it clicked. It was meant to say load the engineering file provided into both abl_a and abl_b

Thanks for the guide maybe rephrase that part. I was super confused for a bit, would never overwrite something with a different name without being super clear.
    It should since the abl used is from a g8x and it worked on my v50 sprint.. :)
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone