• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Guide LG G8/G8x/v50 Bootloader Unlock and Magisk Root using Firehose

Search This thread

Sinleth

Oct 19, 2021
finally locked my bootloader. drivers can be a nightmare.

magisk root never worked for me anyway.

Last edited:

AsItLies

Nov 4, 2009
tucson
Samsung Galaxy S10
finally locked my bootloader. drivers can be a nightmare.

magisk root never worked for me anyway.

Sounds like you're running into 'Windows' issues. If you're having to do video over and over, it's windows that's not allowing 'unsigned' drivers (search google for how to fix that).

And magisk root not working for you? Magisk root always works, if it's installed correctly. For help just post what's happening that is causing a problem, people will help.

That said, it's perfectly legit to just not root. It really should come down to 'do I need it'? Sure, it's considered fun to have, but if u don't need it, there's nothing wrong with moving on to other fun things, gcam ports etc.

cheers

Sinleth

Oct 19, 2021
Sounds like you're running into 'Windows' issues. If you're having to do video over and over, it's windows that's not allowing 'unsigned' drivers (search google for how to fix that).

And magisk root not working for you? Magisk root always works, if it's installed correctly. For help just post what's happening that is causing a problem, people will help.

That said, it's perfectly legit to just not root. It really should come down to 'do I need it'? Sure, it's considered fun to have, but if u don't need it, there's nothing wrong with moving on to other fun things, gcam ports etc.

cheers
I had already restarted my computer with driver signature enforcement disabled, so that wasn't the issue with me having to install the drivers everytime I tried connecting to fastboot via cmd.

Magisk didn't work in the sense that whenever I finished all the steps to unlocking the bootloader successfully, the Magisk root would simply brick my phone into an infinite boot loop. I only tried that once though... Reading through the steps again it does seem like I did everything right. Phone was always unlocked on the _a partition but the Magisk patch simply didn't work for me. (LM500N LGU.)

Thanks for the reply though, I do appreciate it. I would've stayed on an unlocked bootloader but I didn't like the warning message on bootup and there was also some setting on the phone that was inaccessible with the bootloader being unlocked...(I don't remember what it was anymore but I'm sure I'll come across it again.)

jian1

Apr 14, 2014
Successfully unlocked the bootloader, now working on the root portion. However there is one more question I wish to ask, for every OS update, I understand I have to reroot, but my question is will the rerooting procedure reset the phone or not? it would be tedious to continuously setting up everything after each OS update..... thanks

jian1

Apr 14, 2014
Anyway thank you all for helping. I figured it. As Quadrplax said in his post you should NOT keep SECURE START UP enabled. After disabling this i managed to successfully root too.

Again thank you very much all for your support.
Hi, I ran into the same looping boot problem after magisk patched the boot file, it turned itself into a looping boot, but however I don't think I have anything to do with secure boot? All I had for screen lock is "Swipe to unlock the screen", is it considered secure boot?

jian1

Apr 14, 2014
I had already restarted my computer with driver signature enforcement disabled, so that wasn't the issue with me having to install the drivers everytime I tried connecting to fastboot via cmd.

Magisk didn't work in the sense that whenever I finished all the steps to unlocking the bootloader successfully, the Magisk root would simply brick my phone into an infinite boot loop. I only tried that once though... Reading through the steps again it does seem like I did everything right. Phone was always unlocked on the _a partition but the Magisk patch simply didn't work for me. (LM500N LGU.)

Thanks for the reply though, I do appreciate it. I would've stayed on an unlocked bootloader but I didn't like the warning message on bootup and there was also some setting on the phone that was inaccessible with the bootloader being unlocked...(I don't remember what it was anymore but I'm sure I'll come across it again.)

The LG driver can be a pain in the arse to work with on windows and all I got is a yellow exclaimation mark on it, thus I have a virtual Linux box for completing the fastboot patching steps, the Linux distro I use is Debian and only two packages would be required to install, and they are android-tools-adb and android-tools-fastboot. Linux kernel has a perfectly working LG driver for LG G8X. See my screenshots:

linux fastbood and adb installation.PNG
unlock bootloader.PNG

jian1

Apr 14, 2014
For those who stuck in a loop after magisk patched the boot file, don't panic. press volumn down and power (the screen will keep looping, but dont' mind it), and when the screen goes black, tap volume up rapidly and once in device it shows Qualcomm driver then you are back to EDL mode to flash back your backup boot file.

This can be some what tricky as you have to tap volume up at the exact black out moment during the loop, but it's doable, and no reset or firmware flash required.

Don't panic, you might thought you had bricked your phone, but you actually didn't. :p

jian1

Apr 14, 2014
Anyone has this looping boot issue after rooting? magisk rooted boot.img caused the booting screen to infinitely looping and I don't think I have a secure startup (does swipe to unlock screen considerred "secure startup"?)

jian1

Apr 14, 2014
ETA: nvm, I found the culprit, you have to magisk the boot image on the LG G8X phone itself!!!

One more question:

should I check the "Preserve force encryption" option when patching the boot bin in Magisk? Thank you​

Last edited:

BOBxibyt

Jan 13, 2014
Port harcourt
thanks for reply
my devices: lg g8 sprint g820u21d
i think i solved it, just restore the abl_a and abl_b but my device doesnt have root. i follow magisk root step , try many time but no luck.

edit: Finally i dit it !!
Having same issues after upgrading to a11 I followed magisk root steps and till now no way to root how did you fix yours you mind explaining

fandanguitop

Dec 1, 2021
Transfer to your phone the boot_a.bin or boot_b.bin that you backed up in the COMPORT# folder.
I have my bootloader unlocked, can i just backup my current boot_a and boot_b and use that or do i have to do all over again?

Open Magisk Manager and beside Magisk hit "Install" then "Select and Patch a File" and select the boot_a.bin or boot_b.bin.
Do i select the file of the slot the fastboot says or the opposite one?

googleygoggles

Dec 9, 2013
Ahhhhhhhhh I finally did it. Thanks for the guide, managed to unlock my T-Mobile LG G8 bootloader, flash magisk, and flash a custom ROM but boy was it hell getting there.
After getting the infamous Sahara error, switching PCs and trying again seemed to work. Go figure. That was a big waste of troubleshooting time. Once the pain of getting the bootloader unlocked was finally over, TWRP was an even bigger pain. I don't even know how but I somehow triggered the Factory Reset "Kill Switch", which meant I couldn't restart into TWRP using the vol/power key combo without my phone getting triggered, even though there were no accounts, and no security on the phone. Bc of course.
Didn't feel like nuking it and trying again so I managed to get around that by plugging in a freaking mouse since for some reason TWRP has OTG mouse support. Anyways, I did all of this because LG is terrible at updates. My god I miss the old days of the Nexus 4/5...

Dec 1, 2021
Заявление об ограничении ответственности: я не несу ответственности за какие-либо проблемы, связанные с использованием этого руководства.
Работает для G8, G8s, G8x и v50
Подтверждена работа над G8 и v50

Требования: Android 10

QFIL: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1P7uGjIirqGRdkwlxgKf_idepDlv6_u-q/view?usp=sharing
Драйвер QFIL: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sPJm1RuSoVX9JMEs-Gx8xNuEDadO6rpj/view?usp=sharing
Мобильный драйвер LG:
[URL Unfurl = "true"] https://www.lg.com/us/support/help-library/lg-mobile-drivers-and-software-CT10000027-20150179827560 [/ URL]
ADB: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nvlwaicFpDN_4DGR0BZRWUDgwQwYzOhS/view?usp=sharing
Огненный шланг: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ekI_d2-P9GdoakkSgk2hK1WHbQLIPlTQ/view?usp=sharing
abl: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sye4gXsDfD8JVF5qfAMG_GDxSLKY6J6Q/view?usp=sharing

Только Verizon LG G8 frp: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1294cXerj2_EkeGw1p38CcVPuyRfdS9N5/view?usp=sharing
Это изображение Verizon FRP было протестировано только на LG G8 Verizon, и его не рекомендуется использовать в других вариантах Verizon, так как это предотвратит загрузку телефона.

Разблокировка загрузчика
Разблокировка загрузчика сотрет все данные на вашем телефоне.

Сначала установите мобильный драйвер LG, драйвер QFIL и QFIL (выберите первый вариант, WWAN)

Все варианты, кроме Verizon: выберите «Настройки»> «Система»> «О телефоне»> «Информация о программном обеспечении»> нажмите «Номер сборки» 7 раз.
Вернитесь в Настройки> Система> Параметры разработчика. Установите флажок Включить OEM-разблокировку.
[SPOILER = "Включить OEM-разблокировку"] [ATTACH = full] 5194789 [/ ATTACH] [/ SPOILER]

Загрузите телефон в EDL
Вы можете убедиться, что ваш телефон находится в EDL, подключив его к компьютеру и проверив Диспетчер устройств> Порты> Qualcom HS-USB QDLoader 9008 (COM #)
[SPOILER = "Диспетчер устройств"] [ATTACH = full] 5194763 [/ ATTACH] [/ SPOILER]
Удерживайте Vol- и Power, когда экран телефона выключится для перезапуска, начните быстро нажимать vol +, но продолжайте удерживать vol- и power.
Вот видео на YouTube о том, как загрузиться в EDL:
[SPOILER = "Как включить режим EDL (Как включить режим EDL 9008) на LG G7 G8 V30 V35 V40 V50"] [MEDIA = youtube] Er3jAeIWvUM [/ MEDIA] [/ SPOILER]

Откройте QFIL, выберите порт вашего телефона, выберите Flat Build в Select Build Type, выберите файл Firehose.elf в Select Programmer, в правом нижнем углу QFIL выберите UFS в качестве типа хранилища.
[SPOILER = "Настройка QFIL"] [ATTACH = full] 5194769 [/ ATTACH] [/ SPOILER]
Щелкните Инструменты> Диспетчер разделов.
Найдите Abl_a, щелкните его правой кнопкой мыши и выберите «Управление данными раздела». Нажмите «Читать», чтобы создать резервную копию файла abl_a.
[SPOILER = "Щелкните правой кнопкой мыши - Управление данными раздела"] [ATTACH = full] 5194773 [/ ATTACH] [/ SPOILER]
Перейдите в проводник Windows и перейдите в C: \ Users \ Username \ AppData \ Roaming \ Qualcomm \ QFIL \ COMPORT #
Переименуйте ваш ReadData_ufs_Lun4.bin в abl_a.bin
[SPOILER = "Перед переименованием abl_a и abl_b"] [ATTACH = full] 5194775 [/ ATTACH] [/ SPOILER]

Сделайте то же самое с abl_b, boot_a и boot_b.
Boot_a и Boot_b предназначены для Magisk Root. Пропустите, если вам нужна только разблокировка загрузчика.
[SPOILER = "После переименования abl_a и abl_b"] [ATTACH = full] 5194777 [/ ATTACH] [/ SPOILER]
Закройте диспетчер разделов. Ваш телефон перезагрузится в EDL самостоятельно после нажатия OK. Подожди на этом.

Вернитесь в диспетчер разделов и снова щелкните правой кнопкой мыши abl_a, затем выберите «Управление данными раздела», затем выберите «Загрузить» и выберите инженерный файл abl.
Сделайте то же самое для abl_b.
Закройте диспетчер разделов. Ваш телефон перезагрузится в EDL самостоятельно после нажатия OK. Подожди на этом.

Перезагрузитесь в Fastboot. Удерживайте Vol- и Power, затем отпустите питание, когда начнется перезагрузка, и продолжайте удерживать vol-
Если это не сработает, отключите и выключите телефон. Зажать vol- и воткнуть. Должен зайти в fastboot.
Когда ваш телефон находится в Fastboot, он должен сказать
Состояние устройства: заблокированный и активный слот A / B - _a или _b
запомните, какой слот говорит ваше устройство, и оставайтесь в этом слоте, вы можете рискнуть сломаться, если переключитесь на другой слот. Это также понадобится вам позже для Root.
[SPOILER = "Загрузчик заблокирован, слот"] [ATTACH = full] 5194783 [/ ATTACH] [/ SPOILER]

Распакуйте ADB.zip
откройте командную строку и измените каталог на папку adb, которую вы только что извлекли
компакт-диск C: \ adb
запустите устройства быстрой загрузки [/ ICODE] в этой командной строке. он должен показать "LMG850UM fastboot" Переместите резервные копии abl_a.bin и abl_b.bin в папку adb, также frp_verizon.img, если у вас Verizon LG G8. [SPOILER = "Переместите abl_a.bin, abl_b.bin в папку ADB. Frp_verizon.img, а также для Verizon Variant»] [ATTACH = full] 5194787 [/ ATTACH] [/ SPOILER] Только Verizon LG G8: запустите [ICODE] fastboot flash frp frp_verizon.img [/ ICODE], затем [ICODE] fastboot reboot-bootloader [/ ICODE] Перезагрузитесь в Fastboot. Удерживайте Vol- и Power, затем отпустите питание, когда начнется перезагрузка, и продолжайте удерживать vol- Если это не сработает, отключите и выключите телефон. Зажать vol- и воткнуть. Должен зайти в fastboot. Запустите [ICODE] fastboot oem unlock [/ ICODE] Выберите «Разблокировать загрузчик» с помощью клавиш со стрелками и нажмите кнопку питания. [SPOILER = "Разблокировка загрузчика с помощью клавиш громкости"] [ATTACH = full] 5194799 [/ ATTACH] [/ SPOILER] Перезагрузитесь обратно в загрузчик. Отключите телефон, выключите, удерживайте Vol-, затем подключите его. Ваш телефон должен сказать Состояние устройства - сейчас разблокировано [SPOILER = "Успешная разблокировка загрузчика"] [ATTACH = full] 5194801 [/ ATTACH] [/ SPOILER] Теперь [ICODE] fastboot flash abl_a abl_a.bin [/ ICODE] и [ICODE] fastboot flash abl_b abl_b.bin [/ ICODE] Завершите с помощью [ICODE] fastboot reboot [/ ICODE] Теперь на вашем телефоне разблокирован загрузчик. [U][SIZE=4]Корень Magisk[/SIZE] [SIZE=3]Делайте это только после того, как вы выполнили приведенное выше руководство и разблокировали загрузчик.[/SIZE][/U] Magisk Форум Xda: [URL]https://forum.xda-developers.com/f/magisk.5903/[/URL] Тема Xda: [URL]https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/magisk-the-magic-mask-for-android.3473445/[/URL] Страница Github: [URL]https://github.com/topjohnwu/Magisk[/URL] Найдите слот, на котором вы находитесь, в загрузчике fastboot ранее Перейдите в проводник Windows и перейдите в C: \ Users \ Username \ AppData \ Roaming \ Qualcomm \ QFIL \ COMPORT # Перенесите на свой телефон файлы boot_a.bin или boot_b.bin, резервные копии которых вы создали в папке COMPORT #. Скачайте и установите Magisk Manager. Откройте Magisk Manager и рядом с Magisk нажмите «Установить», затем «Выбрать и исправить файл» и выберите boot_a.bin или boot_b.bin. После того, как Magisk пропатчил ваш загрузочный img, у вас должен быть magisk_patched #####. Img в папке Download на вашем телефоне. Перенесите его на свой компьютер. Перезагрузитесь в EDL Откройте QFIL. Щелкните Инструменты> Диспетчер разделов. Найдите слот, в котором вы находитесь, в загрузчике fastboot ранее, щелкните правой кнопкой мыши boot_a или boot_b и выберите «Управление данными раздела». Нажмите «Загрузить» и выберите файл magisk_patched #####. Img, который вы передали со своего телефона. Дождитесь завершения, затем закройте диспетчер разделов. Ваш телефон перезагрузится в EDL самостоятельно после нажатия OK. Подожди на этом. Перезагрузитесь в систему, удерживая vol- и power, пока ваш телефон не перезагрузится из EDL, затем отпустите оба. Теперь ваш телефон разблокирован загрузчиком с помощью Magisk Root. Надеюсь, это поможет. Это руководство было написано мной, но информацию предоставил Cloud1250000. Если есть ошибки, дайте мне знать, и я исправлю. [/QUOTE] [ATTACH type="full"]5474181[/ATTACH]

Attachments

• hu8sW72aSC_1111.png
    hu8sW72aSC_1111.png
    41.1 KB · Views: 17
Dec 1, 2021
Здравствуйте Seasee606 мы все блогадарны за вашу статью по поводу разблокировки загрузчика но мне интересует один вопрос что именно нужно загрузить в QFIL раздела search path во открывшемся окне который есть на скриншоте? и дальше уже по вашей инструкции очистить laf_a заранее спасибо за ответ!!!

googleygoggles

Dec 9, 2013
Здравствуйте Seasee606 мы все блогадарны за вашу статью по поводу разблокировки загрузчика но мне интересует один вопрос что именно нужно загрузить в QFIL раздела search path во открывшемся окне который есть на скриншоте? и дальше уже по вашей инструкции очистить laf_a заранее спасибо за ответ!!!
Please follow the forum rules and only post in English, or include an English translation.
Thank you.

AsItLies

Nov 4, 2009
tucson
Samsung Galaxy S10
my phone is now on A11 so how would I downgrade on the VZW model

So you're on a11, and want to downgrade to an earlier android version of the vzw firmware?

If your device is a vzw device, I think you can just use lgup with the earlier version kdz. (You would probably have to do partition D/L as refurbish and upgrade may say you can't go back versions)

If your device isn't vzw follow this link for crossflashing.

cheers

marx68

Dec 7, 2021
Working on a LG G8 Thinq Amazon version.
I followed instructions and have the bootloader unlocked, Magisk installed, verified root and TWRP installed. However, TWRP doesn't have write premissions and I can't install the disable DM Verify zip. Kinda stuck. I used slot A and did the Magisk patch on boot_a. Then flashed TWRP, then flashed Magisk again to keep root before reboot.
New phones are so hard to hack. I wanted to install Arrow rom or maybe LineagOS that's posted here.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So, first and foremost, when you back a partition up with qfil, it tells you at the bottom of the display where it's backing the file up. Go to that directory, after ea backup, and rename the file appropriately.

It's at that point, when renaming it, that you want to discover if there's a problem. Not when you go to use that backup.

If your backups are wrong (obviously they are), then a few things could have taken place; 1) be sure to only use a usb 2.0 port, anything else will probably corrupt the file 2) use a data cable, not a charging cable. 3) qfil is old software, so when you make a selection in the partition list, you have to select the partition first with a left click, then right click it to get the menu. (if you don't do this, and you just right click a partition, you'll actually be backing up the last partition that was selected - whichever one that happens to be).

sounds like now you need to find someone with a copy of the abl's for your device / variant. Flash those and start again. I'll look on the tele group, someone may have posted them.

No, doesn't look like anyone has posted those. I'd suggest, because sprint doesn't publish their kdz, download a different variant kdz, like verizon, use kdz extractor to get the images you need, and try those, they may work. And maybe join the tele group and ask if anyone could share their sprint ones. Good luck
    Thanks for your quick response. I miraculously was able to find a full backed up kdz and returned my phone to default. Now I've proceeded to flash a custom rom (Evolution). While it's true that it was an oversight on my part it's hard to know how big the files are supposed to be as I'm not used to flashing phones and unlocking bootloders lol. I have a feeling I'll brick it at least a few more times before I get the result I want but hey it is what it is you gotta learn somehow right.
    Dont Quote me on this, but I read somewhere that those lucky enough to get 11 on the LG8x can't use this exploit because the engineering ABL file provided is for Android 10.0 and 10 only. I cannot find the source I read that on though, so I am only adding it as my experience, there may be another way for your phone.
    @lanadelreywhore

I haven't done this on a11 yet, but do know that no, the engineering abl is not for 10 and 10 only. The engineering abl will **always** be the version the device was released with, in this case A9.

But, and it's a common misunderstanding, you **don't** use the engineering abl to boot the device, you use it **only** to do fastboot things with, such as unlocking the bootloader, or flashing a partition, etc.

So, to this point, we've used the a9 engineering abl to unlock a10 devices, there's really no reason it can't do the same with devices on a11.

cheers
    @lanadelreywhore

I haven't done this on a11 yet, but do know that no, the engineering abl is not for 10 and 10 only. The engineering abl will **always** be the version the device was released with, in this case A9.

But, and it's a common misunderstanding, you **don't** use the engineering abl to boot the device, you use it **only** to do fastboot things with, such as unlocking the bootloader, or flashing a partition, etc.

So, to this point, we've used the a9 engineering abl to unlock a10 devices, there's really no reason it can't do the same with devices on a11.

cheers
    Well then I shall give it a try and return here with clarifications to what I and surley others are wondering in regards to android 11. I have a subscription for Chimera so il try with that first. 🤞
    Yep. I really really regret coming across this thread. I definitely have fastboot. As I said in my earlier post all my mobile hacks have been with Samsung & nexus/pixel so this LG and qfil was just way counter intuitive at first. There wasn't even a flash button on the software u just close a window and it flashes... That on top of poorly worded instructions equals a lot of bricked phones I imagine. It sucks cause I loved that dual screen and I thought if I could get the BL unlocked and a rooted rom flashed this would have been my favorite phone ever. I used the restore files someone gave me and now it won't even come out of EDL. I'm so frustrated and discouraged ready to give up and maybe come back to it later hopefully someone has the files to restore all the ones this method bricked for att android 10 users... The one shared with me didn't have abl_b but I tried it anyways now it's really ****ed up I think

I sympathize with you, it's more complicated than other devices.

But, and this doesn't help you now, but maybe in the future; The very First THing You Do With a NEW PHone is BACK IT UP!!

That's a very common thing at the beginning of virtually all guides like this one. And!! If you don't know how to do that... ASK!!

So this is where you are, you didn't back up your at&t device, which unfortunately they don't make the kdz available (all the more reason to back it up), and you've gotten a back up from someone else that may or may not have been the right one / version for your device.

whoa is me, for sure.

I'd suggest to look for a bkerler backup of your device. The bkerler python edl tools do a complete backup, so there are some partitions you DON'T want to flash, as they contain imei and s/n. So those, if they are in a backup you find, have to be taken out.

Short of that, get a kdz of a different variant, use kdz extractor to get the gpt tables and the few partitions needed to get lgup to work, then follow the crossflash guide to at least get the device working again.

One last note, the people that write these guides are regular users just like you and me. They are not paid professional technical writers that work for major corporations. Have you ever tried to write a complicated guide for something like this? I guarantee you there will be people that will tell you it's not clear, no matters what you write. And if you write the guide in a way that explains every last tiny detail, others will tell you it's too 'wordy' and way too long, and they didn't read it.

good luck.
    to relock the bootloader would it be the same as this guide?

there's a very important aspect to relocking a bootloader, and that is the device has to be completely stock. It's best to use lgup and flash the kdz if possible. Essentially, if you've had root, and made any changes that are still there, trying to re-lock could semi brick the device.

completely stock, then use engineering abl to 'fastboot oem lock', then use fastboot to flash original abl back. done.
    Disclaimer: I am not responsible for any problems from using this guide.
    Works for G8, G8s, G8x, and v50
    Confirmed working on G8 and v50

Requirements: Android 10

QFIL: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1P7uGjIirqGRdkwlxgKf_idepDlv6_u-q/view?usp=sharing
    QFIL Driver: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sPJm1RuSoVX9JMEs-Gx8xNuEDadO6rpj/view?usp=sharing
    LG Mobile Driver:
    ADB: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nvlwaicFpDN_4DGR0BZRWUDgwQwYzOhS/view?usp=sharing
    Firehose: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ekI_d2-P9GdoakkSgk2hK1WHbQLIPlTQ/view?usp=sharing
    abl: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sye4gXsDfD8JVF5qfAMG_GDxSLKY6J6Q/view?usp=sharing

Verizon LG G8 only frp: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1294cXerj2_EkeGw1p38CcVPuyRfdS9N5/view?usp=sharing
    This Verizon FRP img was only tested on LG G8 Verizon and is not recommended to be used on other Verizon Variants as it will prevent the phone from booting.

Bootloader Unlock
    Unlocking your bootloader will erase all data on your phone

First Install LG Mobile Driver, QFIL driver, and QFIL (Select first option, WWAN)

All Variants other than Verizon: Go to Settings, > System > About Phone > Software Info > Tap Build Number 7 Times.
    Go back to Settings > System > Developer Options. Check Enable OEM Unlock
    Enable OEM Unlock.jpg

Boot you phone into EDL
    You can make sure that your phone is in EDL by plugging your phone to your pc and checking the Device Manager > Ports > Qualcom HS-USB QDLoader 9008 (COM#)
    Device Manager - Ports.jpg
    Hold Vol- and Power, when the phone screen turns off to restart begin quickly pressing the vol+ but keep holding vol- and power.
    Here is a youtube video of how to boot to EDL:

Open QFIL, Select your Phone's Port, Select Flat Build under Select Build Type, Select the Firehose.elf file under Select Programmer, on the bottom right of QFIL select UFS as the Storage Type.
    QFIL.jpg
    Click Tools > Partition Manager.
    Find Abl_a and right click on it and select Manage Partition Data. Click Read to backup your abl_a.
    right click manage partition data.jpg
    Go to Windows Explorer and go to C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\Qualcomm\QFIL\COMPORT#
    Rename your ReadData_ufs_Lun4.bin to abl_a.bin
    change readdata to abl.jpg

Do the same with abl_b, boot_a, and boot_b.
    Boot_a and Boot_b is for Magisk Root. Skip if you only want Bootloader Unlock.
    abl a and b finished.jpg
    Close Partition Manager. Your phone will reboot to EDL on its own after pressing OK. Wait on that.

Go back to Partition Manager and right click on abl_a again then select Manage Partition Data, then Select Load and choose the abl engineering file.
    Do the same for abl_b.
    Close Partition Manager. Your phone will reboot to EDL on its own after pressing OK. Wait on that.

Reboot to Fastboot. Hold Vol- and Power then release power when reboot starts and keep holding vol-
    If that doesn't work unplug and Power off your phone. Hold vol- and plug it in. It should go into fastboot.
    Once your phone is in Fastboot it should say
    Device State: Locked and Active A/B Slot - _a or _b
    remember whichever slot your device says and stay on that slot, you may risk bricking if you change to the other slot. You also need this for Root later.
    Fastboot Bootloader Locked and Slot.jpg

Extract the ADB.zip
    open a Command Prompt and change the directory to the adb folder you just extracted
    cd C:\adb
    run fastboot devices in that command prompt. it should show "LMG850UM fastboot"

Move the backed up abl_a.bin and abl_b.bin to the adb folder, also frp_verizon.img if you have the verizon LG G8.
    Move abl a and b to adb folder.jpg
    Verizon LG G8 only: Run fastboot flash frp frp_verizon.img then fastboot reboot-bootloader

Reboot to Fastboot. Hold Vol- and Power then release power when reboot starts and keep holding vol-
    If that doesn't work unplug and Power off your phone. Hold vol- and plug it in. It should go into fastboot.
    Run fastboot oem unlock
    Select Unlock The Bootloader with your arrow keys and press the Power Button
    BL Unlock NoYes.jpg
    Reboot back to the Bootloader. Unplug your phone, Power off, Hold Vol-, then Plug it in.
    Your phone should say Device State – unlocked now
    Fastboot Bootloader Unlocked and Slot.jpg

Now fastboot flash abl_a abl_a.bin
    and fastboot flash abl_b abl_b.bin
    Finish with fastboot reboot
    Your Phone Is now Bootloader Unlocked.

Magisk Root
    Only do this after you have followed the above guide and have Unlocked your Bootloader.

Magisk
    Xda Forum: https://forum.xda-developers.com/f/magisk.5903/
    Xda Thread: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/magisk-the-magic-mask-for-android.3473445/
    Github Page: https://github.com/topjohnwu/Magisk

Find the slot you are on from the fastboot bootloader earlier
    Go to Windows Explorer and go to C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\Qualcomm\QFIL\COMPORT#
    Transfer to your phone the boot_a.bin or boot_b.bin that you backed up in the COMPORT# folder.

Download and install Magisk Manager.
    Open Magisk Manager and beside Magisk hit "Install" then "Select and Patch a File" and select the boot_a.bin or boot_b.bin.
    After Magisk has patched your boot img you should have magisk_patched#####.img in your phones Download folder.
    Transfer it to your PC.

Reboot to EDL
    Open QFIL. Click Tools > Partition Manager.
    Find the slot you are on from the fastboot bootloader earlier and right click on either boot_a or boot_b and select Manage Partition Data.
    Click Load and select the magisk_patched#####.img file you transfered from your phone.
    Wait for it to finish then Close Partition Manager. Your phone will reboot to EDL on its own after pressing OK. Wait on that.

Reboot to System by holding vol- and power till your phone reboots out of EDL then release both.
    Your phone is now Bootloader Unlocked with Magisk Root.

Hopefully this helps.
    This guide was written by me, but the information was provided by Cloud1250000.
    If there are any errors let me know and I will fix.
    Go back to Partition Manager and right click on abl_a again then select Manage Partition Data, then Select Load and choose the abl engineering file.
    Do the same for abl_b.

Maybe I'm not catching on to something but, following the guide I don't have a abl_b.bin file besides the one backed up.
    There was a link provided for an abl_a.bin file.
    What am I not understanding?

Okay I got it this morning. Reread it still didn't understand but had some hunches so check around the net about LG dual sim unlocking and then it clicked. It was meant to say load the engineering file provided into both abl_a and abl_b

Thanks for the guide maybe rephrase that part. I was super confused for a bit, would never overwrite something with a different name without being super clear.
    It should since the abl used is from a g8x and it worked on my v50 sprint.. :)
    Ok, so maybe you unlocked the bootloader, still not sure. But you didn't even root? How do you consider this a success then?

Well, to answer the first part of your response here are a couple images (jpg type)

And for the rest of your response, I am going to try to finish out this tutorial this morning. I can say this much in advance: I have found that once a phone has been bootloader unlocked, gaining root (whether it be by magisk, the ol' SuperSU, or whatever) becomes an eventuality of overwhelmingly high likelihood of success. I am saying 'high likelihood' only because I realize that there are never any absolute guarantees in XDA, and it's not a good idea to jinx yourself by getting overconfident. So I'm gonna try to get rooted here and keep my fingers crossed, but I personally can not recall ever hearing of a phone whose bootloader is unlocked, that couldn't be rooted.
    v50thinQ.jpg
    v50thinq2.jpg
    can't access download mode. getting waring that the phone didn't pass safety check and keeps on booting to fastboot mode. any help will be greatly appreciated. was trying to root and this happened. bootloader is unlocked. can access fastboot but no download mode. V500N

I had similar experience, it's just a lil tricky. I found it was easiest to boot phone completely, plug into computer, you hear the pc chime when phone is recognized, at that point hold the vol - and power until the pc chimes the disconnect, then immediately release the power button and tap the vol + repeatedly (usually 1-3 times) until the PC chimes connected, this all while still holding vol -. Practice how to hold the phone, release power and tap a few time and then it was easy.