Guide LG G8/G8x/v50 Bootloader Unlock and Magisk Root using Firehose

Search This thread
Jan 13, 2018
I'd suggest joining the tele group for G8 and V50. the group there has a very wide experience as there are so many, your issue has been discussed and I think resolved, but don't remember or have had it myself.

good luck
Naw, it hasn't. My phone shipped with android 10, not 9, so their fix isn't going to work.

Last edited:

S_32

Sep 25, 2022
Hello, I've successfully completed this procedure on one LG G8, but I'm having difficulty with the second one. I'm not able to enter into fastboot after replacing abl_a and abl_b with the abl engineering file. It just gets to the LG G8ThinQ splash screen and stays there.
The holding vol- and power, release power on reboot method didn't work, and I'm unable to use the alternate (plug in + vol-) method because I can't actually find a way to turn the phone off that doesn't just immediately reboot it while the engineering abl's are in place.

I was able to revert to my backup abl_a/b files and return the phone to it's previous state, but I'd like to complete the procedure if possible.

EDIT: Found this explanation from AsItLies on page 26 that helped me enter into fastboot.
And just to clarify, the key combo to get the device out of edl mode is to hold vol minus and pwr buttons for about 5 seconds, you'll know the device has exited edl mode when you hear the windows 'chime'. As soon as it exists edl mode (keep the usb cable plugged in), release the other keys and just hold vol minus down.

Your device should then go to fastboot mode.

Last edited:

corruptnova

Jan 25, 2011
Hello all, I am having an issue with getting back into EDL mode to flash the patched magisk image.

I have a LM-G850UM (or, a Sprint LG G8x). The bootloader is unlocked, but when I try to do the button combo (pwr+vol down then keep tapping the the vol up button once the screen turns off) but, It just boots to the LG logo, the screen about the device's software can't be checked for corruption, the Sprint logo animation and then into Android. I've tried holding the vol up button instead of tapping it repeatedly and switching USB ports and cables with no success.

I'm at least happy that my phone isn't bricked, but I'm getting quite frustrated at trying to figure out why it won't boot into EDL mode anymore.

Any thoughts or solutions would be greatly appreciated!

AsItLies

Nov 4, 2009
tucson
Samsung Galaxy S10
Hello all, I am having an issue with getting back into EDL mode to flash the patched magisk image.

I have a LM-G850UM (or, a Sprint LG G8x). The bootloader is unlocked, but when I try to do the button combo (pwr+vol down then keep tapping the the vol up button once the screen turns off) but, It just boots to the LG logo, the screen about the device's software can't be checked for corruption, the Sprint logo animation and then into Android. I've tried holding the vol up button instead of tapping it repeatedly and switching USB ports and cables with no success.

I'm at least happy that my phone isn't bricked, but I'm getting quite frustrated at trying to figure out why it won't boot into EDL mode anymore.

Any thoughts or solutions would be greatly appreciated!

That's pretty typical, it takes a kind of precise second that you start tapping the vol up. Once you get used to it it gets easier.

Try this; with phone off, plug in usb and wait for the charging symbol thing to start flashing, then hold pwr and vol dn and start tapping vol up. Sometimes I've found it's easier that way.

But here's the thing about it; You can get to edl mode from any point, even if it's bootlooping, it's just a matter of getting the timing right as to when to start tapping vol up.

corruptnova

Jan 25, 2011
Thank you so much for replying! I'll keep trying once I have some time.

I had one more question about patching boot ing (_b) in my case. Should "Preserve force encryption" be ticked or unticked in Magisk Manager when making the patched file?

AsItLies

Nov 4, 2009
tucson
Samsung Galaxy S10
Thank you so much for replying! I'll keep trying once I have some time.

I had one more question about patching boot ing (_b) in my case. Should "Preserve force encryption" be ticked or unticked in Magisk Manager when making the patched file?
I've always unticked that, when creating a patched boot image. Seems logical as you're going to flash dm_verity etc after booting with it.

S_32

Sep 25, 2022
Hello, I screwed up trying to apply the magick root, and now I'm stuck in a boot loop.

I backed up my boot_a and boot_b, and then had magick patch my backed up boot_b (phone on slot _b according to fastboot). This resulted in a boot loop. I tried to fix the problem by foolishly pushing my backed up boot_a AND boot_b to the phone, but that still resulted in a boot loop.

The problem I think is, I accidentally allowed the phone to update from android 10 to 11 between making my boot backups, and when I tried to complete the root. My understanding is this likely made my backups obsolete, and unable to complete the boot.

Now I'm stuck. Any advice on how to recover from this mistake?

EDIT: If it's possible to just use someone elses boot_a / boot_b: My phone is an LMG820TM, it's a US phone, and had the most recent OTA android 11 update. If other info is needed please let me know.

Last edited:

KheniKheni

Sep 21, 2022
LG V50 ThinQ
Reboot to Fastboot. Hold Vol- and Power then release power when reboot starts and keep holding vol-
If that doesn't work unplug and Power off your phone. Hold vol- and plug it in. It should go into fastboot.
Stuck here, can't get past this stage to Fastboot using both methods. But when I go into downlaod mode I get the attached screenshot. What should I do next please?

Attachments

• 20220925_212755.jpg
    20220925_212755.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 21

AsItLies

Nov 4, 2009
tucson
Samsung Galaxy S10
My phone goes right back to android robot, no command screen. Can't shut down with power button

No matters what state the phone is in, looping etc, most times you can still get to edl mode.

The only difference will be that you won't get a 'count down' screen, you'll just have to 'time it' yourself.

So experiment with it, to get the timing right, of when to start spamming vol +, you should be able to eventually get it into edl mode, then flash whatever necessary partition(s) to get it out of the situation you have now.

KheniKheni

Sep 21, 2022
LG V50 ThinQ
No matters what state the phone is in, looping etc, most times you can still get to edl mode.

The only difference will be that you won't get a 'count down' screen, you'll just have to 'time it' yourself.

So experiment with it, to get the timing right, of when to start spamming vol +, you should be able to eventually get it into edl mode, then flash whatever necessary partition(s) to get it out of the situation you have now.
Thank you very much. I'm able to get into edl and download mode. I had to really work on my timing as you said

dmmercado23

Nov 19, 2017
My phone goes right back to android robot, no command screen. Can't shut down with power button

I had this problem with my v50 Kt variant on A12, i downgraded to A11 then repeat the process on unlocking. You can just reboot your device by holding Power and vol down. The phone will just boot normally. Just restore stock abl_a and abl_b before downgrading android version.

Reactions: KheniKheni

dolimpioa

Aug 13, 2011
fastboot - < waiting for any device >
or
"fastboot devices" returns nothing

I just spent days digging through forums looking for a solution and even installed Windows 7 on an old laptop as some suggested, without success.

On Windows 10 the issue seems to be that the bootloader driver is not loaded. You can see a device simply called Android on the Device Manager page that is disabled due to the lack of a driver.

My search for a driver was unsuccessful but discovered that the driver was actually on the PC. Windows had just decided that it was not recommended. However you can force it to be installed with the steps below. Note that these stpes must be repeated every time you enter fastboot mode. Windows does not remember that you said the driver was Ok.

1. Access Device Manager (right-click on My Computer in explorer and click Manage)
2. Find the disabled Android device, right-click on it and select Update Driver
1664820038319.png

3. Select Browse my computer for drivers
1664820110670.png

4. Select Let me pick from a list of available drivers
1664820154285.png

5. Select Android Device
1664820297280.png

6. Select Android Bootloader Interface
1664820258179.png

7. Select YES to Warning
1664820349104.png

8. fastboot devices should now return your device

dolimpioa

Aug 13, 2011
Forgive me if this should be in another forum because this procedure seemed to work but was disrupted by another. I just thought that the expertise here could be helpful.

I followed this procedure and was able to unlock and root my AT&T LG-G8.

I then followed the procedure to install TWRP - https://unofficialtwrp.com/lg-g8-root-twrp

TWRP installed ok, but root was lost. When I tried to flash Magisk using TWRP I received an error stating the partition was read-only.

When I rebooted I received and error, and although I do not recall the exact working the only option was a button labeled "reset phone", which said would perform a factory reset. I clicked the button, but the process never completed. I forced a reboot only to come back to the same error. Eventually I booted into EDL and used QFIL to flash the abl and boot files from my backup.

Now the phone boots normally and it is still unlocked, but root is lost. When I try to get into recovery (twrp) is get a dead android robot with "no command" under it.

I tried re-flashing the Magisk modified boot file the phone gets stuck in a boot loop with the AT&T logo continuously animated. I even tried creating a new Magisk modified boot file without success.

Things to note:
1. The instructions for TWRP say to download Magisk v23, which is what I had initially done, but it asked if I wanted to upgrade to the latest, V25, which I did. Not sure if this was a good idea or not. I've since tried creating newly modified boot files with both versions without success.
2. Before flashing Magisk with TWRP to regain root, the instructions say to "wipe user data". There were a number of options under "Wipe", not of which seem to relate to "user data", so I wiped with the default options selected. Again, not sure of that was correct.

Current state:
Phone is working fine and is unlocked according to fastboot and the warning message when booting.
If I install the Magisk modified boot file, I get a boot loop.
Boot into recovery results in a dead robot.

Any ideas or suggestions??

Thanks in advance for any help!

Last edited:

KheniKheni

Sep 21, 2022
LG V50 ThinQ
I had this problem with my v50 Kt variant on A12, i downgraded to A11 then repeat the process on unlocking. You can just reboot your device by holding Power and vol down. The phone will just boot normally. Just restore stock abl_a and abl_b before downgrading android version.
sure, thanks. I've been advised to simply flash a new kdz using the instructions attached. Seems to be working, just got a few more errors to get past. Will let you guys know how it goes over the next 24 hours; hopefully.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Disclaimer: I am not responsible for any problems from using this guide.
    Works for G8, G8s, G8x, and v50
    Confirmed working on G8 and v50

Requirements: Android 10

QFIL: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1P7uGjIirqGRdkwlxgKf_idepDlv6_u-q/view?usp=sharing
    QFIL Driver: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sPJm1RuSoVX9JMEs-Gx8xNuEDadO6rpj/view?usp=sharing
    LG Mobile Driver:
    ADB: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nvlwaicFpDN_4DGR0BZRWUDgwQwYzOhS/view?usp=sharing
    Firehose: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ekI_d2-P9GdoakkSgk2hK1WHbQLIPlTQ/view?usp=sharing
    abl: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sye4gXsDfD8JVF5qfAMG_GDxSLKY6J6Q/view?usp=sharing

Verizon LG G8 only frp: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1294cXerj2_EkeGw1p38CcVPuyRfdS9N5/view?usp=sharing
    This Verizon FRP img was only tested on LG G8 Verizon and is not recommended to be used on other Verizon Variants as it will prevent the phone from booting.

Bootloader Unlock
    Unlocking your bootloader will erase all data on your phone

First Install LG Mobile Driver, QFIL driver, and QFIL (Select first option, WWAN)

All Variants other than Verizon: Go to Settings, > System > About Phone > Software Info > Tap Build Number 7 Times.
    Go back to Settings > System > Developer Options. Check Enable OEM Unlock
    Enable OEM Unlock.jpg

Boot you phone into EDL
    You can make sure that your phone is in EDL by plugging your phone to your pc and checking the Device Manager > Ports > Qualcom HS-USB QDLoader 9008 (COM#)
    Device Manager - Ports.jpg
    Hold Vol- and Power, when the phone screen turns off to restart begin quickly pressing the vol+ but keep holding vol- and power.
    Here is a youtube video of how to boot to EDL:

Open QFIL, Select your Phone's Port, Select Flat Build under Select Build Type, Select the Firehose.elf file under Select Programmer, on the bottom right of QFIL select UFS as the Storage Type.
    QFIL.jpg
    Click Tools > Partition Manager.
    Find Abl_a and right click on it and select Manage Partition Data. Click Read to backup your abl_a.
    right click manage partition data.jpg
    Go to Windows Explorer and go to C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\Qualcomm\QFIL\COMPORT#
    Rename your ReadData_ufs_Lun4.bin to abl_a.bin
    change readdata to abl.jpg

Do the same with abl_b, boot_a, and boot_b.
    Boot_a and Boot_b is for Magisk Root. Skip if you only want Bootloader Unlock.
    abl a and b finished.jpg
    Close Partition Manager. Your phone will reboot to EDL on its own after pressing OK. Wait on that.

Go back to Partition Manager and right click on abl_a again then select Manage Partition Data, then Select Load and choose the abl engineering file.
    Do the same for abl_b.
    Close Partition Manager. Your phone will reboot to EDL on its own after pressing OK. Wait on that.

Reboot to Fastboot. Hold Vol- and Power then release power when reboot starts and keep holding vol-
    If that doesn't work unplug and Power off your phone. Hold vol- and plug it in. It should go into fastboot.
    Once your phone is in Fastboot it should say
    Device State: Locked and Active A/B Slot - _a or _b
    remember whichever slot your device says and stay on that slot, you may risk bricking if you change to the other slot. You also need this for Root later.
    Fastboot Bootloader Locked and Slot.jpg

Extract the ADB.zip
    open a Command Prompt and change the directory to the adb folder you just extracted
    cd C:\adb
    run fastboot devices in that command prompt. it should show "LMG850UM fastboot"

Move the backed up abl_a.bin and abl_b.bin to the adb folder, also frp_verizon.img if you have the verizon LG G8.
    Move abl a and b to adb folder.jpg
    Verizon LG G8 only: Run fastboot flash frp frp_verizon.img then fastboot reboot-bootloader

Run fastboot oem unlock
    Select Unlock The Bootloader with your arrow keys and press the Power Button
    BL Unlock NoYes.jpg
    Reboot back to the Bootloader. Unplug your phone, Power off, Hold Vol-, then Plug it in.
    Your phone should say Device State – unlocked now
    Fastboot Bootloader Unlocked and Slot.jpg

Now fastboot flash abl_a abl_a.bin
    and fastboot flash abl_b abl_b.bin
    Finish with fastboot reboot
    Your Phone Is now Bootloader Unlocked.

Magisk Root
    Only do this after you have followed the above guide and have Unlocked your Bootloader.

Magisk
    Xda Forum: https://forum.xda-developers.com/f/magisk.5903/
    Xda Thread: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/magisk-the-magic-mask-for-android.3473445/
    Github Page: https://github.com/topjohnwu/Magisk

Find the slot you are on from the fastboot bootloader earlier
    Go to Windows Explorer and go to C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\Qualcomm\QFIL\COMPORT#
    Transfer to your phone the boot_a.bin or boot_b.bin that you backed up in the COMPORT# folder.

Download and install Magisk Manager.
    Open Magisk Manager and beside Magisk hit "Install" then "Select and Patch a File" and select the boot_a.bin or boot_b.bin.
    After Magisk has patched your boot img you should have magisk_patched#####.img in your phones Download folder.
    Transfer it to your PC.

Reboot to EDL
    Open QFIL. Click Tools > Partition Manager.
    Find the slot you are on from the fastboot bootloader earlier and right click on either boot_a or boot_b and select Manage Partition Data.
    Click Load and select the magisk_patched#####.img file you transfered from your phone.
    Wait for it to finish then Close Partition Manager. Your phone will reboot to EDL on its own after pressing OK. Wait on that.

Reboot to System by holding vol- and power till your phone reboots out of EDL then release both.
    Your phone is now Bootloader Unlocked with Magisk Root.

Hopefully this helps.
    This guide was written by me, but the information was provided by Cloud1250000.
    If there are any errors let me know and I will fix.
    Go back to Partition Manager and right click on abl_a again then select Manage Partition Data, then Select Load and choose the abl engineering file.
    Do the same for abl_b.

Maybe I'm not catching on to something but, following the guide I don't have a abl_b.bin file besides the one backed up.
    There was a link provided for an abl_a.bin file.
    What am I not understanding?

Okay I got it this morning. Reread it still didn't understand but had some hunches so check around the net about LG dual sim unlocking and then it clicked. It was meant to say load the engineering file provided into both abl_a and abl_b

Thanks for the guide maybe rephrase that part. I was super confused for a bit, would never overwrite something with a different name without being super clear.
    Success!

I have a G8 (LM-G820TM, US T-Mobile variant) that had been updated OTA to Android 11 (G820TM30b). I used Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, version 21H2, on a Dell Latitude E6230 (That shouldn't matter, but is provided for reference).

Some notes for anyone else doing this, and wisdom I got from more experienced commenters in this thread:

• Read all the instructions carefully. Read every word slowly. Do what you need to do to make sure you don't skip any steps. If necessary, print out the instructions and cross them off one by one.

• EDL Mode doesn't show anything on the screen. You'll only know if your phone is in EDL mode if your computer makes a USB Connected chime, and it shows up under Ports in Device Manager.

• Use a good quality USB 2.0 cable and USB 2.0 port. QFIL is finicky, and doesn't like USB 3 ports. If you get a Sahara error, use a different cable, a different port, or a different computer.

• When you back up your abl_a and abl_b partitions, they should be about 1MB. (1024KB exactly, in my case). If they're significantly larger, then they didn't read correctly. You'll need to flash them back later, and if they didn't read correctly, you can't restore them.

• The provided engineering abl_a should be flashed to abl_a and abl_b.

• The engineering abl should only be used to enable fastboot temporarily so that you can unlock the bootloader. You can't leave it there - you have to flash your original abl_a and abl_b back to your phone once the bootloader is unlocked. If you leave the engineering abl on there, you'll either get a bootloop or your touchscreen won't work.

• When booting into fastboot for the first time, Windows doesn't use the correct (or any) driver, so the phone just shows up as "Android" in Device Manager, and it doesn't show up when you do "fastboot devices". I had the LG Mobile Driver installed per the instructions, so it was just a matter of pointing Windows at the correct driver. In Windows 10 it was Update Drivers -> Browse my computer for drivers -> Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer -> Android -> LGE Mobile ADB Interface
    It should since the abl used is from a g8x and it worked on my v50 sprint.. :)
    Ok, so maybe you unlocked the bootloader, still not sure. But you didn't even root? How do you consider this a success then?

Well, to answer the first part of your response here are a couple images (jpg type)

And for the rest of your response, I am going to try to finish out this tutorial this morning. I can say this much in advance: I have found that once a phone has been bootloader unlocked, gaining root (whether it be by magisk, the ol' SuperSU, or whatever) becomes an eventuality of overwhelmingly high likelihood of success. I am saying 'high likelihood' only because I realize that there are never any absolute guarantees in XDA, and it's not a good idea to jinx yourself by getting overconfident. So I'm gonna try to get rooted here and keep my fingers crossed, but I personally can not recall ever hearing of a phone whose bootloader is unlocked, that couldn't be rooted.
    v50thinQ.jpg
    v50thinq2.jpg