Guide LG G8/G8x/v50 Bootloader Unlock and Magisk Root using Firehose

Search This thread

gecpogi

Oct 13, 2019
Go back to Partition Manager and right click on abl_a again then select Manage Partition Data, then Select Load and choose the abl engineering file.

Do the same for abl_b.

May I ask what this is? Is this the one I backed up? Or the one I downloaded?

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2023
Go back to Partition Manager and right click on abl_a again then select Manage Partition Data, then Select Load and choose the abl engineering file.

Do the same for abl_b.

May I ask what this is? Is this the one I backed up? Or the one I downloaded?
You flash the engingeering abl (one you downloaded) or "load" it after you right click on the abl_a in partition manager.

If you are trying to do this on slot b, then do it for abl_b (just edit the name)

Chris3445

Jan 22, 2023
Hello I got my LG g8x rooted and everything but I cant get twrp to work with touch i did followed this guide to a tea and a nother one and I still cant get use touch in twrp hope some can help with this thanks

Chris3445

Jan 22, 2023
for a quick fix, plug a mouse into your phone. If you are sure you did the flashing steps 100% correctly....
This is what is happening and i Dont see the internal memory in the recovery either im rooted still to u have the bootloader unlocked as well I just dont now what im doing wrong

Attachments

• 20230122_015150_HDR.jpg
    20230122_015150_HDR.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 20
  • 20230122_015155_HDR.jpg
    20230122_015155_HDR.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 19
  • 20230122_015150_HDR.jpg
    20230122_015150_HDR.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 14
  • 20230122_015205_HDR.jpg
    20230122_015205_HDR.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 14
  • 20230122_015209_HDR.jpg
    20230122_015209_HDR.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 20

Paula-Deen

Jun 11, 2014
I'm kind of at my wits end trying to figure this out.

I have a sprint, US G8 that I have been trying to unlock the bootloader and root. I made it through this guide and fastboot says I am unlocked, and i have installed magisk but my touch screen does not work at all. I have to use a USB C dongle and connect a mouse and keyboard to get it to function.

It came with android 12 so I am attempting to downgrade to 10 so I can get lineage on there.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say maybe I screwed up the abl_a/_b step? I also did not back up the original abl_a and b so at this point I may be screwed

what would cause my screen to no longer register a touch in this case?

Thanks.
Had the same issue registering touch, and you are right, it is going to be an abl_a/_b issue.

If you didn't backup the original abl_a or abl_b, you can use a mouse to access the device and find what software version you're on, albeit it might not be necessary as long as it's for the right model. Mine is on g820TM20j, but I just downloaded the KDZ file for TMO20e, downloaded and used KDZ One-Click Extraction, extracted KDZ file, and it provided all the files you'd find in partition manager, including Abl_a/Abl_b. Then I just decided to take both extracted Abl_a & Abl_b files, open partition manager in QFIL, selected the corresponding file to replace, then clicked on "load" and used the extracted kdz files (abl_a replaced over extracted abl_a, and abl_b replaced over extracted abl_b). Close out of the manager, rebooted the phone, and finally the touch screen began working.

But while you're at it, I would backup your boot_a and boot_b files if you plan on rooting, as the extracted boot_a & boot_b files even from the extracted KDZ might cause software issues like system_UI crashing. As far as Abl_a & Abl_b from the extracted kdz file, I haven't had any issues and fully fixed the touchscreen problem without further issues.

Chris3445

Jan 22, 2023
I was able to use this guide for a lg g8 sprint I had alot of issues but I finely got it I had to cross flash to lm820umj and at first I thought my phone was done but it was not I was stuck at the boot screen didn't now why but then I came across some saying to replace the ftm that came with the phone I did that still wen I would root and try to reboot it would stay at the boot screen then I seen the the advance setting in twrp and clicked on fix boot loop then the phone would boot fine and I the twrp was working fine but still no root so what I did I backed up my boot_a that was the one I had twrp already so u backed that one up used Magisk root to but I used the the boot_a that already had the working twrp and everything did that and I finely got root and twrp installed the reason why I wanted both is cuz I want to install windows 11 on the lg g8 and the guid said it need twrp and to be rooted but thanks to everyone here that made guids so wen wired things happened u can just fellow these really good guides thanks

Chris3445

Jan 22, 2023
I crosesed flashed my g8x to open can and now in twrp wen I try to get it to see the internal sd card I get these errors this a att modle thanks

Attachments

• 20230131_043828.jpg
    20230131_043828.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 14

phambiencuong

Feb 6, 2023
Khởi động lại vào Fastboot. Giữ Vol- và Power sau đó giải nén nguồn khi bắt đầu khởi động lại và tiếp tục giữ vol-
Nếu cách đó không hoạt động, hãy rút ngắn các khe cắm và tắt nguồn điện thoại của bạn. Keep vol- and socket it into. Nó sẽ vào fastboot.
my device is lg g8 android 12, i tried these 2 ways but still cant get into fastboot, is there any other way to get into fastboot i need help.

Mar 6, 2021
LG V40
Razer Phone 2
thanks for reply
my devices: lg g8 sprint g820u21d
i think i solved it, just restore the abl_a and abl_b but my device doesnt have root. i follow magisk root step , try many time but no luck.

edit: Finally i dit it !!
can you share backups of
abl_a, abl_b, boot_a, and boot_b.
and others if you have them because my backups are gone and i flashed a kdz and was wrong one so i need to find someone with same LG G8 Sprint like mine (mine was g820u21j) that would be willing to share backup

Surgemanxx

Jun 21, 2022
LG G8

Attachments

• abl_aENG.zip
    209.4 KB · Views: 24
  • Love
Reactions: phambiencuong

Surgemanxx

Jun 21, 2022
LG G8
can you share backups of
abl_a, abl_b, boot_a, and boot_b.
and others if you have them because my backups are gone and i flashed a kdz and was wrong one so i need to find someone with same LG G8 Sprint like mine (mine was g820u21j) that would be willing to share backup
Cross flash it to the T-Mobile firmware.It will switch OTA to the T-Mobile firmware anyway?!?Oh found this backup,can't say if it's a Qfil copy backup or what?It does say it's for the G8 Sprint variant?

Last edited:
Reactions: Jitteryheart87

YB123

Feb 21, 2023
LG V50 ThinQ
Hellp

C:\adb>fastboot devices
LMG8504b7c9054 fastboot
C:\adb>fastboot oem unlock ... FAILED (remote: Flashing Unlock is not allowed ) finished. total time: 0.007s how fix the ? pls !

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Disclaimer: I am not responsible for any problems from using this guide.
    Works for G8, G8s, G8x, and v50
    Confirmed working on G8 and v50

Requirements: Android 10

QFIL: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1P7uGjIirqGRdkwlxgKf_idepDlv6_u-q/view?usp=sharing
    QFIL Driver: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sPJm1RuSoVX9JMEs-Gx8xNuEDadO6rpj/view?usp=sharing
    LG Mobile Driver:
    ADB: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nvlwaicFpDN_4DGR0BZRWUDgwQwYzOhS/view?usp=sharing
    Firehose: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ekI_d2-P9GdoakkSgk2hK1WHbQLIPlTQ/view?usp=sharing
    abl: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sye4gXsDfD8JVF5qfAMG_GDxSLKY6J6Q/view?usp=sharing

Verizon LG G8 only frp: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1294cXerj2_EkeGw1p38CcVPuyRfdS9N5/view?usp=sharing
    This Verizon FRP img was only tested on LG G8 Verizon and is not recommended to be used on other Verizon Variants as it will prevent the phone from booting.

Bootloader Unlock
    Unlocking your bootloader will erase all data on your phone

First Install LG Mobile Driver, QFIL driver, and QFIL (Select first option, WWAN)

All Variants other than Verizon: Go to Settings, > System > About Phone > Software Info > Tap Build Number 7 Times.
    Go back to Settings > System > Developer Options. Check Enable OEM Unlock
    Enable OEM Unlock.jpg

Boot you phone into EDL
    You can make sure that your phone is in EDL by plugging your phone to your pc and checking the Device Manager > Ports > Qualcom HS-USB QDLoader 9008 (COM#)
    Device Manager - Ports.jpg
    Hold Vol- and Power, when the phone screen turns off to restart begin quickly pressing the vol+ but keep holding vol- and power.
    Here is a youtube video of how to boot to EDL:

Open QFIL, Select your Phone's Port, Select Flat Build under Select Build Type, Select the Firehose.elf file under Select Programmer, on the bottom right of QFIL select UFS as the Storage Type.
    QFIL.jpg
    Click Tools > Partition Manager.
    Find Abl_a and right click on it and select Manage Partition Data. Click Read to backup your abl_a.
    right click manage partition data.jpg
    Go to Windows Explorer and go to C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\Qualcomm\QFIL\COMPORT#
    Rename your ReadData_ufs_Lun4.bin to abl_a.bin
    change readdata to abl.jpg

Do the same with abl_b, boot_a, and boot_b.
    Boot_a and Boot_b is for Magisk Root. Skip if you only want Bootloader Unlock.
    abl a and b finished.jpg
    Close Partition Manager. Your phone will reboot to EDL on its own after pressing OK. Wait on that.

Do the same for abl_b.
    Close Partition Manager. Your phone will reboot to EDL on its own after pressing OK. Wait on that.

Reboot to Fastboot. Hold Vol- and Power then release power when reboot starts and keep holding vol-
    If that doesn't work unplug and Power off your phone. Hold vol- and plug it in. It should go into fastboot.
    Once your phone is in Fastboot it should say
    Device State: Locked and Active A/B Slot - _a or _b
    remember whichever slot your device says and stay on that slot, you may risk bricking if you change to the other slot. You also need this for Root later.
    Fastboot Bootloader Locked and Slot.jpg

Extract the ADB.zip
    open a Command Prompt and change the directory to the adb folder you just extracted
    cd C:\adb
    run fastboot devices in that command prompt. it should show "LMG850UM fastboot"

Move the backed up abl_a.bin and abl_b.bin to the adb folder, also frp_verizon.img if you have the verizon LG G8.
    Move abl a and b to adb folder.jpg
    Verizon LG G8 only: Run fastboot flash frp frp_verizon.img then fastboot reboot-bootloader

Reboot to Fastboot. Hold Vol- and Power then release power when reboot starts and keep holding vol-
    If that doesn't work unplug and Power off your phone. Hold vol- and plug it in. It should go into fastboot.
    Run fastboot oem unlock
    Select Unlock The Bootloader with your arrow keys and press the Power Button
    BL Unlock NoYes.jpg
    Reboot back to the Bootloader. Unplug your phone, Power off, Hold Vol-, then Plug it in.
    Your phone should say Device State – unlocked now
    Fastboot Bootloader Unlocked and Slot.jpg

Now fastboot flash abl_a abl_a.bin
    and fastboot flash abl_b abl_b.bin
    Finish with fastboot reboot
    Your Phone Is now Bootloader Unlocked.

Magisk Root
    Only do this after you have followed the above guide and have Unlocked your Bootloader.

Magisk
    Xda Forum: https://forum.xda-developers.com/f/magisk.5903/
    Xda Thread: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/magisk-the-magic-mask-for-android.3473445/
    Github Page: https://github.com/topjohnwu/Magisk

Find the slot you are on from the fastboot bootloader earlier
    Go to Windows Explorer and go to C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\Qualcomm\QFIL\COMPORT#
    Transfer to your phone the boot_a.bin or boot_b.bin that you backed up in the COMPORT# folder.

Download and install Magisk Manager.
    Open Magisk Manager and beside Magisk hit "Install" then "Select and Patch a File" and select the boot_a.bin or boot_b.bin.
    After Magisk has patched your boot img you should have magisk_patched#####.img in your phones Download folder.
    Transfer it to your PC.

Reboot to EDL
    Open QFIL. Click Tools > Partition Manager.
    Find the slot you are on from the fastboot bootloader earlier and right click on either boot_a or boot_b and select Manage Partition Data.
    Click Load and select the magisk_patched#####.img file you transfered from your phone.
    Wait for it to finish then Close Partition Manager. Your phone will reboot to EDL on its own after pressing OK. Wait on that.

Reboot to System by holding vol- and power till your phone reboots out of EDL then release both.
    Your phone is now Bootloader Unlocked with Magisk Root.

Hopefully this helps.
    This guide was written by me, but the information was provided by Cloud1250000.
    If there are any errors let me know and I will fix.
    Do the same for abl_b.

Maybe I'm not catching on to something but, following the guide I don't have a abl_b.bin file besides the one backed up.
    There was a link provided for an abl_a.bin file.
    What am I not understanding?

Okay I got it this morning. Reread it still didn't understand but had some hunches so check around the net about LG dual sim unlocking and then it clicked. It was meant to say load the engineering file provided into both abl_a and abl_b

Thanks for the guide maybe rephrase that part. I was super confused for a bit, would never overwrite something with a different name without being super clear.
    Success!

I have a G8 (LM-G820TM, US T-Mobile variant) that had been updated OTA to Android 11 (G820TM30b). I used Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, version 21H2, on a Dell Latitude E6230 (That shouldn't matter, but is provided for reference).

Some notes for anyone else doing this, and wisdom I got from more experienced commenters in this thread:

• Read all the instructions carefully. Read every word slowly. Do what you need to do to make sure you don't skip any steps. If necessary, print out the instructions and cross them off one by one.

• EDL Mode doesn't show anything on the screen. You'll only know if your phone is in EDL mode if your computer makes a USB Connected chime, and it shows up under Ports in Device Manager.

• Use a good quality USB 2.0 cable and USB 2.0 port. QFIL is finicky, and doesn't like USB 3 ports. If you get a Sahara error, use a different cable, a different port, or a different computer.

• When you back up your abl_a and abl_b partitions, they should be about 1MB. (1024KB exactly, in my case). If they're significantly larger, then they didn't read correctly. You'll need to flash them back later, and if they didn't read correctly, you can't restore them.

• The provided engineering abl_a should be flashed to abl_a and abl_b.

• The engineering abl should only be used to enable fastboot temporarily so that you can unlock the bootloader. You can't leave it there - you have to flash your original abl_a and abl_b back to your phone once the bootloader is unlocked. If you leave the engineering abl on there, you'll either get a bootloop or your touchscreen won't work.

• When booting into fastboot for the first time, Windows doesn't use the correct (or any) driver, so the phone just shows up as "Android" in Device Manager, and it doesn't show up when you do "fastboot devices". I had the LG Mobile Driver installed per the instructions, so it was just a matter of pointing Windows at the correct driver. In Windows 10 it was Update Drivers -> Browse my computer for drivers -> Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer -> Android -> LGE Mobile ADB Interface
    It should since the abl used is from a g8x and it worked on my v50 sprint.. :)
    Ok, so maybe you unlocked the bootloader, still not sure. But you didn't even root? How do you consider this a success then?

Well, to answer the first part of your response here are a couple images (jpg type)

And for the rest of your response, I am going to try to finish out this tutorial this morning. I can say this much in advance: I have found that once a phone has been bootloader unlocked, gaining root (whether it be by magisk, the ol' SuperSU, or whatever) becomes an eventuality of overwhelmingly high likelihood of success. I am saying 'high likelihood' only because I realize that there are never any absolute guarantees in XDA, and it's not a good idea to jinx yourself by getting overconfident. So I'm gonna try to get rooted here and keep my fingers crossed, but I personally can not recall ever hearing of a phone whose bootloader is unlocked, that couldn't be rooted.
    v50thinQ.jpg
    v50thinq2.jpg