Guide LG G8/G8x/v50 Bootloader Unlock and Magisk Root using Firehose

Search This thread

Alaaaloha

Jul 31, 2016
Disclaimer: I am not responsible for any problems from using this guide.
Works for G8, G8s, G8x, and v50
Confirmed working on G8 and v50

Requirements: Android 10

QFIL: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1P7uGjIirqGRdkwlxgKf_idepDlv6_u-q/view?usp=sharing
QFIL Driver: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sPJm1RuSoVX9JMEs-Gx8xNuEDadO6rpj/view?usp=sharing
LG Mobile Driver:
ADB: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nvlwaicFpDN_4DGR0BZRWUDgwQwYzOhS/view?usp=sharing
Firehose: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ekI_d2-P9GdoakkSgk2hK1WHbQLIPlTQ/view?usp=sharing
abl: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sye4gXsDfD8JVF5qfAMG_GDxSLKY6J6Q/view?usp=sharing

Verizon LG G8 only frp: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1294cXerj2_EkeGw1p38CcVPuyRfdS9N5/view?usp=sharing
This Verizon FRP img was only tested on LG G8 Verizon and is not recommended to be used on other Verizon Variants as it will prevent the phone from booting.

Bootloader Unlock
Unlocking your bootloader will erase all data on your phone

First Install LG Mobile Driver, QFIL driver, and QFIL (Select first option, WWAN)

All Variants other than Verizon: Go to Settings, > System > About Phone > Software Info > Tap Build Number 7 Times.
Go back to Settings > System > Developer Options. Check Enable OEM Unlock

Boot you phone into EDL
You can make sure that your phone is in EDL by plugging your phone to your pc and checking the Device Manager > Ports > Qualcom HS-USB QDLoader 9008 (COM#)
Hold Vol- and Power, when the phone screen turns off to restart begin quickly pressing the vol+ but keep holding vol- and power.
Here is a youtube video of how to boot to EDL:

Open QFIL, Select your Phone's Port, Select Flat Build under Select Build Type, Select the Firehose.elf file under Select Programmer, on the bottom right of QFIL select UFS as the Storage Type.
Click Tools > Partition Manager.
Find Abl_a and right click on it and select Manage Partition Data. Click Read to backup your abl_a.
Go to Windows Explorer and go to C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\Qualcomm\QFIL\COMPORT#
Rename your ReadData_ufs_Lun4.bin to abl_a.bin

Do the same with abl_b, boot_a, and boot_b.
Boot_a and Boot_b is for Magisk Root. Skip if you only want Bootloader Unlock.
Close Partition Manager. Your phone will reboot to EDL on its own after pressing OK. Wait on that.

Go back to Partition Manager and right click on abl_a again then select Manage Partition Data, then Select Load and choose the abl engineering file.
Do the same for abl_b.
Close Partition Manager. Your phone will reboot to EDL on its own after pressing OK. Wait on that.

Reboot to Fastboot. Hold Vol- and Power then release power when reboot starts and keep holding vol-
If that doesn't work unplug and Power off your phone. Hold vol- and plug it in. It should go into fastboot.
Once your phone is in Fastboot it should say
Device State: Locked and Active A/B Slot - _a or _b
remember whichever slot your device says and stay on that slot, you may risk bricking if you change to the other slot. You also need this for Root later.

Extract the ADB.zip
open a Command Prompt and change the directory to the adb folder you just extracted
cd C:\adb
run fastboot devices in that command prompt. it should show "LMG850UM fastboot"

Move the backed up abl_a.bin and abl_b.bin to the adb folder, also frp_verizon.img if you have the verizon LG G8.
Verizon LG G8 only: Run fastboot flash frp frp_verizon.img then fastboot reboot-bootloader

Reboot to Fastboot. Hold Vol- and Power then release power when reboot starts and keep holding vol-
If that doesn't work unplug and Power off your phone. Hold vol- and plug it in. It should go into fastboot.
Run fastboot oem unlock
Select Unlock The Bootloader with your arrow keys and press the Power Button
Reboot back to the Bootloader. Unplug your phone, Power off, Hold Vol-, then Plug it in.
Your phone should say Device State – unlocked now

Now fastboot flash abl_a abl_a.bin
and fastboot flash abl_b abl_b.bin
Finish with fastboot reboot
Your Phone Is now Bootloader Unlocked.

Magisk Root
Only do this after you have followed the above guide and have Unlocked your Bootloader.

Magisk
Xda Forum: https://xdaforums.com/f/magisk.5903/
Xda Thread: https://xdaforums.com/t/magisk-the-magic-mask-for-android.3473445/
Github Page: https://github.com/topjohnwu/Magisk

Find the slot you are on from the fastboot bootloader earlier
Go to Windows Explorer and go to C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\Qualcomm\QFIL\COMPORT#
Transfer to your phone the boot_a.bin or boot_b.bin that you backed up in the COMPORT# folder.

Download and install Magisk Manager.
Open Magisk Manager and beside Magisk hit "Install" then "Select and Patch a File" and select the boot_a.bin or boot_b.bin.
After Magisk has patched your boot img you should have magisk_patched#####.img in your phones Download folder.
Transfer it to your PC.

Reboot to EDL
Open QFIL. Click Tools > Partition Manager.
Find the slot you are on from the fastboot bootloader earlier and right click on either boot_a or boot_b and select Manage Partition Data.
Click Load and select the magisk_patched#####.img file you transfered from your phone.
Wait for it to finish then Close Partition Manager. Your phone will reboot to EDL on its own after pressing OK. Wait on that.

Reboot to System by holding vol- and power till your phone reboots out of EDL then release both.
Your phone is now Bootloader Unlocked with Magisk Root.

Hopefully this helps.
This guide was written by me, but the information was provided by Cloud1250000.
If there are any errors let me know and I will fix.
hello. ,y lg v50 thinq was bootloader unlocked before, i just had to reinstall a new system , and successfuly installed a new one , but now i need to root the device and my phone wont reboot to fastboot to see which slot im in to batch it with magisk ?!!
does it need to reunlock bootloader again or what ? is there any way i can see the current slot other then fastboot ?
please help , thank you

Reactions: Sinleth

bylgrad

Mar 28, 2013
Valencia City

QFIL: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1P7uGjIirqGRdkwlxgKf_idepDlv6_u-q/view?usp=sharing
QFIL Driver: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sPJm1RuSoVX9JMEs-Gx8xNuEDadO6rpj/view?usp=sharing
LG Mobile Driver:
ADB: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nvlwaicFpDN_4DGR0BZRWUDgwQwYzOhS/view?usp=sharing
Firehose: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ekI_d2-P9GdoakkSgk2hK1WHbQLIPlTQ/view?usp=sharing
abl: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sye4gXsDfD8JVF5qfAMG_GDxSLKY6J6Q/view?usp=sharing

Verizon LG G8 only frp: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1294cXerj2_EkeGw1p38CcVPuyRfdS9N5/view?usp=sharing
This Verizon FRP img was only tested on LG G8 Verizon and is not recommended to be used on other Verizon Variants as it will prevent the phone from booting.

Bootloader Unlock

First Install LG Mobile Driver, QFIL driver, and QFIL (Select first option, WWAN)

All Variants other than Verizon: Go to Settings, > System > About Phone > Software Info > Tap Build Number 7 Times.

Boot you phone into EDL
You can make sure that your phone is in EDL by plugging your phone to your pc and checking the Device Manager > Ports > Qualcom HS-USB QDLoader 9008 (COM#)
Hold Vol- and Power, when the phone screen turns off to restart begin quickly pressing the vol+ but keep holding vol- and power.

Open QFIL, Select your Phone's Port, Select Flat Build under Select Build Type, Select the Firehose.elf file under Select Programmer, on the bottom right of QFIL select UFS as the Storage Type.
Find Abl_a and right click on it and select Manage Partition Data. Click Read to backup your abl_a.

Go back to Partition Manager and right click on abl_a again then select Manage Partition Data, then Select Load and choose the abl engineering file.
Do the same for abl_b.

remember whichever slot your device says and stay on that slot, you may risk bricking if you change to the other slot. You also need this for Root later.

Extract the ADB.zip
open a Command Prompt and change the directory to the adb folder you just extracted

Move the backed up abl_a.bin and abl_b.bin to the adb folder, also frp_verizon.img if you have the verizon LG G8.
Verizon LG G8 only: Run fastboot flash frp frp_verizon.img then fastboot reboot-bootloader

Run fastboot oem unlock
Reboot back to the Bootloader. Unplug your phone, Power off, Hold Vol-, then Plug it in.

Magisk Root
Only do this after you have followed the above guide and have Unlocked your Bootloader.

Magisk

Transfer to your phone the boot_a.bin or boot_b.bin that you backed up in the COMPORT# folder.

Open Magisk Manager and beside Magisk hit "Install" then "Select and Patch a File" and select the boot_a.bin or boot_b.bin.
After Magisk has patched your boot img you should have magisk_patched#####.img in your phones Download folder.
Transfer it to your PC.

Reboot to EDL
Find the slot you are on from the fastboot bootloader earlier and right click on either boot_a or boot_b and select Manage Partition Data.
Click Load and select the magisk_patched#####.img file you transfered from your phone.
Wait for it to finish then Close Partition Manager. Your phone will reboot to EDL on its own after pressing OK. Wait on that.

Reboot to System by holding vol- and power till your phone reboots out of EDL then release both.

Hopefully this helps.
Thank You for this tutorial. It worked!

I'm using LG V50 thinQ
Model No: LM-V500N
SW Version: V500N20z
Android 10

I was just stucked in the fastboot part because my Laptop cannot detect the device.
typing fastboot devices didn't show the device. So I have to update the driver in the 'Device Manager' . then it worked!.

ohmediafire

May 22, 2014
Hi guys. some questions here.

I replaced backup file 'abl_a' and 'abl_b' and successfully unlock bootloader. But after load magisk_patched-23001_xxxxx.img to 'boot_b' my phone keep restarting at 'your device software cannot be checked for corruption. Please lock the bootloader'.

When I change 'boot_b' to backed up one, my phone is working again.

Weirdly, now I can't enter Fastboot mode anymore.

Please help me guys.

LG V50
V500N20z
Korea set
Magisk Manager f822ca5b (23001)

Attachments

• 15.jpg
    15.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 27
Reactions: Sinleth

ohmediafire

May 22, 2014
Hi guys. some questions here.

I replaced backup file 'abl_a' and 'abl_b' and successfully unlock bootloader. But after load magisk_patched-23001_xxxxx.img to 'boot_b' my phone keep restarting at 'your device software cannot be checked for corruption. Please lock the bootloader'.

When I change 'boot_b' to backed up one, my phone is working again.

Weirdly, now I can't enter Fastboot mode anymore.

Please help me guys.

LG V50
V500N20z
Korea set
Magisk Manager f822ca5b (23001)
Problem solved. i can enter Fastboot mode by flash again abl_a and abl_b with abl_a engineering.

Thanks

Sep 24, 2021
I decided to try this on my AT&T LG G8X running Android 9 and this worked perfectly for unlocking the bootloader. The software version was G850UM10i. I'm a total beginner and the hardest part for me was getting the fastboot drivers to work on my pc.

I was using the phone on tmobile and didn't want to have to spend more money to get a prepaid at&t sim just to upgrade to android 10 so I decided to try it and was surprised it actually worked. I'll probably try to root it when I have time this weekend. I'm hoping to eventually get LineageOS and possibly Ubuntu Touch running on it.

Thank you so much to those that put this guide together and worked on the unlock method!

feyd2blak

Dec 22, 2008
Hi
Please help!
I have a Sprint V50, and I can't get to the bootloader!
I tried from Recovery and tried from 'adb reboot bootloader', both just reboot to normal use!
It has the latest update, and factory reset goes to that version, not backwards to an earlier version.
Not sure what to try next?
Thanks!

feyd2blak

Dec 22, 2008
Hi
I now have an unlocked bootloader! Thanks!
The next issue I am facing you guys may be able to help with is installing TWRP. I have tried everything I can think of for Sprint V50.
Any one have success for their Spring V50?
Thanks

rikita

Jun 13, 2008
Google Pixel 7
I have Verizon V50.
Bootloader unlocked and Magisk installed.
I can install TWRP through Magisk, but I cannot get phone to reboot to recovery with hardware keys (it will reboot to recovery through Magisk, but no touch).
I have tried every key combination for the last 3 hours.
Any ideas?

Jg_junior

Nov 9, 2018
Any suggestions for QFIL error:

ERROR: function: sahara_rx_data:276 Unable to read packet header. Only read 0 bytes.

I've tried all suggestions to no avail thus far except using an older version of Windows

AsItLies

Nov 4, 2009
tucson
Samsung Galaxy S10
Any suggestions for QFIL error:

ERROR: function: sahara_rx_data:276 Unable to read packet header. Only read 0 bytes.

I've tried all suggestions to no avail thus far except using an older version of Windows

I'd suggest to follow this thread, it's for the v40 but the qfil stuff is the same, so look carefully at it where it mentions getting qfil installed. It's a bit of a pain to do, but absolutely can be done.

cheers

Reactions: Jg_junior

Jg_junior

Nov 9, 2018
I'd suggest to follow this thread, it's for the v40 but the qfil stuff is the same, so look carefully at it where it mentions getting qfil installed. It's a bit of a pain to do, but absolutely can be done.

cheers
I followed but had no luck, there wasn't anything extra steps within the thread to install QFIL really. The other install of QFIL in this thread is bundled with QPST as well

AsItLies

Nov 4, 2009
tucson
Samsung Galaxy S10
I followed but had no luck, there wasn't anything extra steps within the thread to install QFIL really. The other install of QFIL in this thread is bundled with QPST as well

My apologies to the OP here, didn't realize the great write up already exist here. Sometimes I don't read as much as I should.

So given it seems everything is installed properly, then a sahara error is *usually* a result of the cable / usb port issues. It's a common problem using qfil, but once u get the combo right it works properly. Here's the output from the v40 tele group re sahara errors:

"When you get a sahara error on Qfil, change your USB port/cable.
Restart both phone and pc before trying again.
Check drivers on PC
Try reducing the COM port speed by going to device manager
Try another PC
Disable driver signature verification on Windows 10
If you run out of ideas, use a Linux installation; will save you a lot of trouble"

So, as u can see, the fixes kind of run the gamut of possibilities. I'd focus on being sure you're using a usb 2.0 port, and use a data cable, not one just for charging the device.

cheers

sasindu

Oct 10, 2012
Hi, iam using lmg820n with sk telecom firmware and recently i got android 11 and updated.
Can i roll back to Android 10 open korean firmware by following this guide? Is it possible to do while iam on Android 11?

ftx777

Oct 15, 2021
Привет друзья. Получил обновление до 11 андроид, на данный момент не разблокирован загрузчик и нет рута. Если я установлю обновление для 11 андройд, подойдет ли эта инструкция для этой версии? V500N SKT

Top Liked Posts

this is so annoying. i managed to unlock the bootloader of my v50s (korean), but now i can't get into fastboot mode to verify which partition i am using, and besides that i can't make qfil work again (sahara error). is there a different method to enter fastboot mode after unlocking the bootloader?
    When it was my turn on the LG Velvet (845) I couldn't get back into fastboot mode. I did it by reaping. As for the partitions, I did it on both now, as for modifying the boot.ing file with magisk, only do it on one in my case on "A" because if you do it on both, the OS tends to crash (closing applications , and a lot of lags).
    There is also a command by "CMD" that allows you to see the status of the bootloader, and in the system "activate OEM unlock" appears disabled (it does not allow modification). Try to back up all the files you modify. and the error that appears "Sahara" in my case I had to reinstall drivers and restart the PC. Also the phone restarts and I try until the PC recognizes it as 9008.
    now i am rooted, but still can't figure out how to get into fastboot mode to flash lineageos. did you manage to get into fastboot after unlocking bootloader and rooting?
    If you can't with the key combination, try from "CMD" with the command "Fastboot boot recovery ×××.img" You have to do this when the screen is black 9008. You can also try with "Fastboot Flash recovery ×× ×.img" but that replaces the original recovery so I recommend making a backup. On LG it is sometimes difficult to enter the custom recovery so concmd is the fastest method. This is what I do with my: Mi mix 2s, Mi 11 and previously the LG V50.
    On the V50 there was a key combination to start the custom recovery. . . . I'm going to investigate again to see if I can find it since I had it years ago.
    now i am rooted, but still can't figure out how to get into fastboot mode to flash lineageos. did you manage to get into fastboot after unlocking bootloader and rooting?
    Write the engineering abl_a and abl_b back to the device in Qfil and reboot!That will give you access to fastboot mode.
    won't this make me lose root access? lineageos instructions says the device needs to be rooted in order to install the rom.
    Good possibility!The procedure is write engineering abl_a and abl_b first.Unlock the bootloader via fast boot.Then do the root procedure as normal with the boot_a and boot_ b file writes.Reboot the device.You should still have fastboot and root in place.It's the same as the LG V60 procedure since the file system is practically the same.
    black screen. i managed to use fastboot, and unlocked the bootloader. i was missing a driver that i found on xda. now i have to pass the patched magisk boot img, but qfil stopped working. i think i'll have to revert the drivers now lol.
    good. little by little. I struggled a little with my Velvet but in the end it's possible 👍🏻
    this is so annoying. i managed to unlock the bootloader of my v50s (korean), but now i can't get into fastboot mode to verify which partition i am using, and besides that i can't make qfil work again (sahara error). is there a different method to enter fastboot mode after unlocking the bootloader?
    When it was my turn on the LG Velvet (845) I couldn't get back into fastboot mode. I did it by reaping. As for the partitions, I did it on both now, as for modifying the boot.ing file with magisk, only do it on one in my case on "A" because if you do it on both, the OS tends to crash (closing applications , and a lot of lags).
    There is also a command by "CMD" that allows you to see the status of the bootloader, and in the system "activate OEM unlock" appears disabled (it does not allow modification). Try to back up all the files you modify. and the error that appears "Sahara" in my case I had to reinstall drivers and restart the PC. Also the phone restarts and I try until the PC recognizes it as 9008.
    If you can't with the key combination, try from "CMD" with the command "Fastboot boot recovery ×××.img" You have to do this when the screen is black 9008. You can also try with "Fastboot Flash recovery ×× ×.img" but that replaces the original recovery so I recommend making a backup. On LG it is sometimes difficult to enter the custom recovery so concmd is the fastest method. This is what I do with my: Mi mix 2s, Mi 11 and previously the LG V50.
    On the V50 there was a key combination to start the custom recovery. . . . I'm going to investigate again to see if I can find it since I had it years ago.
    Write the engineering abl_a and abl_b back to the device in Qfil and reboot!That will give you access to fastboot mode.
    won't this make me lose root access? lineageos instructions says the device needs to be rooted in order to install the rom.
    Good possibility!The procedure is write engineering abl_a and abl_b first.Unlock the bootloader via fast boot.Then do the root procedure as normal with the boot_a and boot_ b file writes.Reboot the device.You should still have fastboot and root in place.It's the same as the LG V60 procedure since the file system is practically the same.

LG Mobile Driver:

Bootloader Unlock

Enable OEM Unlock.jpg

Boot you phone into EDL
    Device Manager - Ports.jpg

QFIL.jpg
    right click manage partition data.jpg
    change readdata to abl.jpg

abl a and b finished.jpg

Do the same for abl_b.

Fastboot Bootloader Locked and Slot.jpg

Extract the ADB.zip

Move abl a and b to adb folder.jpg

Run fastboot oem unlock
    BL Unlock NoYes.jpg
    Fastboot Bootloader Unlocked and Slot.jpg

Magisk Root

Magisk

Transfer it to your PC.

Reboot to EDL

Hopefully this helps.
    Success!

I have a G8 (LM-G820TM, US T-Mobile variant) that had been updated OTA to Android 11 (G820TM30b). I used Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, version 21H2, on a Dell Latitude E6230 (That shouldn't matter, but is provided for reference).

Some notes for anyone else doing this, and wisdom I got from more experienced commenters in this thread:

• Read all the instructions carefully. Read every word slowly. Do what you need to do to make sure you don't skip any steps. If necessary, print out the instructions and cross them off one by one.

• EDL Mode doesn't show anything on the screen. You'll only know if your phone is in EDL mode if your computer makes a USB Connected chime, and it shows up under Ports in Device Manager.

• Use a good quality USB 2.0 cable and USB 2.0 port. QFIL is finicky, and doesn't like USB 3 ports. If you get a Sahara error, use a different cable, a different port, or a different computer.

• When you back up your abl_a and abl_b partitions, they should be about 1MB. (1024KB exactly, in my case). If they're significantly larger, then they didn't read correctly. You'll need to flash them back later, and if they didn't read correctly, you can't restore them.

• The provided engineering abl_a should be flashed to abl_a and abl_b.

• The engineering abl should only be used to enable fastboot temporarily so that you can unlock the bootloader. You can't leave it there - you have to flash your original abl_a and abl_b back to your phone once the bootloader is unlocked. If you leave the engineering abl on there, you'll either get a bootloop or your touchscreen won't work.

• When booting into fastboot for the first time, Windows doesn't use the correct (or any) driver, so the phone just shows up as "Android" in Device Manager, and it doesn't show up when you do "fastboot devices". I had the LG Mobile Driver installed per the instructions, so it was just a matter of pointing Windows at the correct driver. In Windows 10 it was Update Drivers -> Browse my computer for drivers -> Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer -> Android -> LGE Mobile ADB Interface
    Do the same for abl_b.

Maybe I'm not catching on to something but, following the guide I don't have a abl_b.bin file besides the one backed up.
    There was a link provided for an abl_a.bin file.
    What am I not understanding?

Okay I got it this morning. Reread it still didn't understand but had some hunches so check around the net about LG dual sim unlocking and then it clicked. It was meant to say load the engineering file provided into both abl_a and abl_b

Thanks for the guide maybe rephrase that part. I was super confused for a bit, would never overwrite something with a different name without being super clear.
    It should since the abl used is from a g8x and it worked on my v50 sprint.. :)
    Ok, so maybe you unlocked the bootloader, still not sure. But you didn't even root? How do you consider this a success then?

Well, to answer the first part of your response here are a couple images (jpg type)

And for the rest of your response, I am going to try to finish out this tutorial this morning. I can say this much in advance: I have found that once a phone has been bootloader unlocked, gaining root (whether it be by magisk, the ol' SuperSU, or whatever) becomes an eventuality of overwhelmingly high likelihood of success. I am saying 'high likelihood' only because I realize that there are never any absolute guarantees in XDA, and it's not a good idea to jinx yourself by getting overconfident. So I'm gonna try to get rooted here and keep my fingers crossed, but I personally can not recall ever hearing of a phone whose bootloader is unlocked, that couldn't be rooted.
    v50thinQ.jpg
    v50thinq2.jpg