• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[GUIDE] LGUP for all (no root needed)

Search This thread

AsItLies

Nov 4, 2009
tucson
Google Pixel 3
Thanks!
Dunno if I should laugh or not, but after flashing the v35 eng ABL via QFIL (flashed back to stock ABL later), I can only reach DL mode. That obviously helped me install the stock rom, so all is good there. But now I can't enter the bootloader. Whatever button combo I use, I end up in DL mode??? I guess some partition is missing or is in the wrong slot??? Can anyone help/direct me to where to find LAF, Bootloader and whatever files needed and tell me the correct partitions to flash??? Just a question: on QFIL, isn't it important to choose slot, and how do I do that?

My goal is to have the needed img flashed to be able to enter fastboot so I can lock the Bootloadeer again...

Want my phone to be "legal" now when Sprint is T-mobile, to be able to upgrade one day :)

Very confusing. You installed the 'stock rom'? Sprint doesn't make their kdz available, so what 'stock rom' did u flash with lgup?

Also, it's not a mystery which partition to flash which image file, laf goes to laf, abl goes to abl, etc etc etc.

fastboot and twrp are the only ways I know how to switch slots. In qfil, it's easy to know which slot you're flashing to by the name abl_a and abl_b, or laf_a and laf_b, etc etc. If a partition doesn't have a or b, that means there's only 1 of them, and it's used on both sides.

The only way to re-lock the bootloader is if the phone is completely stock, no modifications whatsoever. Then use fastboot (v35 eng abl) to relock it.

If you're just concerned about trade in value, I wouldn't worry too much, I think all they care about is that the screen works and the device is functional. They give you so little for a trade in, almost better off selling it outright.

cheers

nyttliv7

Dec 27, 2010
Dallas Fort Worth
Very confusing. You installed the 'stock rom'? Sprint doesn't make their kdz available, so what 'stock rom' did u flash with lgup?

Also, it's not a mystery which partition to flash which image file, laf goes to laf, abl goes to abl, etc etc etc.

fastboot and twrp are the only ways I know how to switch slots. In qfil, it's easy to know which slot you're flashing to by the name abl_a and abl_b, or laf_a and laf_b, etc etc. If a partition doesn't have a or b, that means there's only 1 of them, and it's used on both sides.

The only way to re-lock the bootloader is if the phone is completely stock, no modifications whatsoever. Then use fastboot (v35 eng abl) to relock it.

If you're just concerned about trade in value, I wouldn't worry too much, I think all they care about is that the screen works and the device is functional. They give you so little for a trade in, almost better off selling it outright.

cheers

I'm one of those guys who unlocked and rooted by sharing screens over the internet, so V405UA20e is the closest to stock I can get right now. Haven't learned enough about this phone, so I'm a little bit of a dummy on this one.

When you say:
"The only way to re-lock the bootloader is if the phone is completely stock, no modifications whatsoever."
does that mean that if I'm not on the Sprint stock, I can't lock the bootloader?

I flashed v35 eng abl on abl_a but when I do the following:
"Press and hold the Power and Volume Down buttons until your device reboots out of 9008. When you hear the disconnect sound, immediately hold volume down (only volume down) to enter fastboot right away"
... I end up in Download Mode every time?

AsItLies

Nov 4, 2009
tucson
Google Pixel 3
I'm one of those guys who unlocked and rooted by sharing screens over the internet, so V405UA20e is the closest to stock I can get right now. Haven't learned enough about this phone, so I'm a little bit of a dummy on this one.

When you say:
"The only way to re-lock the bootloader is if the phone is completely stock, no modifications whatsoever."
does that mean that if I'm not on the Sprint stock, I can't lock the bootloader?

I flashed v35 eng abl on abl_a but when I do the following:
"Press and hold the Power and Volume Down buttons until your device reboots out of 9008. When you hear the disconnect sound, immediately hold volume down (only volume down) to enter fastboot right away"
... I end up in Download Mode every time?

So to relock the bootloader it needs to be stock, any stock (but don't flash tmobile). So long as the rom is 100% stock, no mods at all, it will relock.

Sounds like you're using the right key combo to get to fastboot, but if yer going to LGUP - Download Mode, than you probably flashed the laf partition to the abl partition?

You might want to verify which slot is current using fastboot, type 'fastboot getvar all', and towards the bottom of the output you'll see 'current slot'. Verify that is the slot you're using when you flash v35 eng abl to (abl_a or abl_b). It might be easiest for you to (save off the ori abl's first) then flash v35 eng abl to both a and b.

if you still have probs show a screen shot of what you're getting to, which screen.

cheers

nyttliv7

Dec 27, 2010
Dallas Fort Worth
So to relock the bootloader it needs to be stock, any stock (but don't flash tmobile). So long as the rom is 100% stock, no mods at all, it will relock.

Sounds like you're using the right key combo to get to fastboot, but if yer going to LGUP - Download Mode, than you probably flashed the laf partition to the abl partition?

You might want to verify which slot is current using fastboot, type 'fastboot getvar all', and towards the bottom of the output you'll see 'current slot'. Verify that is the slot you're using when you flash v35 eng abl to (abl_a or abl_b). It might be easiest for you to (save off the ori abl's first) then flash v35 eng abl to both a and b.

if you still have probs show a screen shot of what you're getting to, which screen.

cheers
Thanks for helping!
How do I type a fastboot command when I can't enter fastboot?

PxYra

Apr 22, 2011
Unknown
LG V40
I collected all working files into one archive, without patched DLL! (in archive) crossflashing not working put DLL in C:\Program Files (x86)\LG Electronics\LGUP\model\common. I crossflashed UA android 9 to EBW android 10 (refurbish mode) and everything works fine (dont ask me about VoLTE or VoWifi I dont use it)

Attachments

• LGUP_patched_and_driver.zip
    46.3 MB · Views: 68

AsItLies

Nov 4, 2009
tucson
Google Pixel 3
Could it have been that the wrong slot was active?
See, that's part of what you need to know to do this... First, there is no "wrong slot". There are 2 slots now, rather than a recovery partition (aka google treble). On a dual slot phone, when an ota update happens, it updates the 'inactive' slot (whichever one that may be), then reboots the phone and makes the updated slot now the active one.

It's important to understand this. The directions 'assume' you're on slot A (and most people will be), but it's not necessarily so. If your active slot happens to be B (because of an ota update), then you have to 'reverse' which slots you flash (in directions).

So you've learned something important. How do u know which slot is 'active'? Only way I know is to use fastboot. Type 'fastboot getvar all' and towards the bottom of the output it will tell you which slot is active, and you can also use fastboot to change which slot is active.

yer making progress.

Reactions: nyttliv7

nyttliv7

Dec 27, 2010
Dallas Fort Worth
See, that's part of what you need to know to do this... First, there is no "wrong slot". There are 2 slots now, rather than a recovery partition (aka google treble). On a dual slot phone, when an ota update happens, it updates the 'inactive' slot (whichever one that may be), then reboots the phone and makes the updated slot now the active one.

It's important to understand this. The directions 'assume' you're on slot A (and most people will be), but it's not necessarily so. If your active slot happens to be B (because of an ota update), then you have to 'reverse' which slots you flash (in directions).

So you've learned something important. How do u know which slot is 'active'? Only way I know is to use fastboot. Type 'fastboot getvar all' and towards the bottom of the output it will tell you which slot is active, and you can also use fastboot to change which slot is active.

yer making progress.
Right now I just want to get download mode to work (so I can install my stock firmware)... What's the name on that file and to which partition do I flash? Is there anywhere I can download all those important partitions?

Gabriel51

May 10, 2008
xda Texas
You are a life saver, Thanks!
@Ducngunhucho, I had a very similar problem. I wanted to update an AT&T V405UA to the "US OPEN" QA7 firmware and I got the same error code 0x6004 you reported with the "CrossDL" message.

I ended up following this guide, using the software linked at the top of the page and was able to successfully flash using the command line; I was not able to flash successfully using the LGUP GUI.

@Joshdbl and @piemanny, I had the same (or similar) message:

Error: 0x6004, CrossDL ATT_US > OPEN_US

and was able to flash to Android 9 using the guide.

After flashing, I believe I'm getting the unlocked firmware's LTE bands . I have seen LTE signal on bands 2, 3, 4, 5, 12, 13, 66, 71 using Verizon MVNO, T-Mobile MVNO and AT&T MVNO SIMs. Specifically, band 71 is NOT enabled in the AT&T V405UA firmware.

One caveat: when I first insert my Verizon MVNO SIM, it will register with the network and I get solid signal and 4G LTE data. However, after a minutes or two it appears Verizon detects that this is not a "Verizon phone" and the data service no longer shows "4G LTE" and I can't get any data service even though I have a strong signal.

Thanks to this thread for all the info.

LG_User_42

Jul 25, 2021
LG V40
Newbie here be nice ...

I have a new LM-V405EBW, was told it is a EU version,
came in LG box with EU charger so looks promising.

Checked the IMEI on a site, result was it is ok and DEC region.

It seems LG has drop support for the V40 , no OTA, no files.

Currently running Android 9 sec patch 1 June 2019, V20a-LAO-YT

i want to upgrade to 10 WITH later patch.

Found V405EBW30d_00_OPEN_EU_DS_OP_1223.kdz for region DEC

Installed LGUP as described in the first post in this thread,
all 3 files including the UI file.

When I try "refurbish" or "update" i get:

1627232176307.png

I have not used the phone yet so I can wipe it clean.

Please Advice

LG_User_42

Jul 25, 2021
LG V40
Silly me, thinking this thread was usefull,
with up to date information and d:eek: files ...

I have a EU phone not a US as in the previous post, not locked.

Tested the DLL in the previous post as well version 1.9.39.7
The result ? (see DLL version at bottom left)

1627236380644.png

More LOL's ?

Any adults knowing the real answers?

jogai

Nov 27, 2011
ZTE Axon 7
LG V40
Last edited:

Javiejlp

Dec 6, 2012
Fixed Error: 0x6004, CrossDL from one country to another only have to use LGUP in cmd
here the post that helped me https://m.blog.naver.com/mkk2828/222227384635 is very clear

Tested to go back to android 8.x Chile LG G7 Fit with Voz4g / VoLTE (no bloatware)

Android 9 UnitedKingdom ERROR 0x6004, CrossDL very lagg ( more bloatware)

Android 9 Spain works well my battery lasts longer than in android 8.x but I lose Voz4g ( little bloatware )

Last edited:

jogai

Nov 27, 2011
ZTE Axon 7
LG V40
Fixed Error: 0x6004, CrossDL from one country to another only have to use LGUP in cmd
here the post that helped me https://m.blog.naver.com/mkk2828/222227384635 is very clear

Tested to go back to android 8.x Chile LG G7 Fit with Voz4g / VoLTE (no bloatware)

Android 9 UnitedKingdom ERROR 0x6004, CrossDL very lagg ( more bloatware)

Android 9 Spain works well my battery lasts longer than in android 8.x but I lose Voz4g ( little bloatware )
Go here: https://lg-firmwares.com/lg-lmv405ebw-firmwares/#specificationTableFirmware_wrapper and sort from new to old. Pick an android 10 variant, maybe that works better for you

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Greetings everyone, i go by the name Ainz Ooal Gown. Here i bring you the Official Guide on LGUP to fix a Brick of your device or to simply Cross flash/Upgrade your device from Windows.

First things first if you try this and end up with a brick or your device transforms and tries to take over the world; it's not my fault you messed up not me. So just read all of this thread not just the O.P to, and get out of a bind if you reply with "the thread is too long i wont read it please help" don't expect anything short of "there's a search bar use it"

Second things have changed cross flashing no longer unlocks your Sim capabilities, you must contact your Carrier to have your Sim unlocked. The only other thing you can do is buy the US Unlocked model and root that one.

Third and i can't believe i must add this those of you who have a T-Mobile V40 if you flash a T-Mobile KDZ you'll be fine....if you flash any other KDZ enjoy and expensive Paper weight.

Download These FIles: DLL LGUP UI_Config

No root:

Step 1. Install the provided LGUP.msi (you should now have C:\Program Files (x86)\LG Electronics\LGUP)
    Step 2. Install the provided DLL (you should now have C:\Program Files (x86)\LG Electronics\LGUP\model\Common)
    Step 3. Extract the LGUP_UI_Config_m250n_[cxz].zip file anywhere on your computer, then copy or move the file to the common folder (the same one the DLL installs too)
    Step 4. Enter download mode and flash any KDZ that is compatible with your device with the Refurbish or Upgrade options.

With root:

If you're rooted and BL unlocked, ALWAYS use Partition DL unless you want to go completely unrooted/bootloader relocked.
    Download the previous files and LGUPCompatableLAF
    Make sure your using fastboot with USB 2.0, it may work with 3.0 but it's better to use 2.0
    Step 1. Extract the LGUPCompatibleLAF.rar file anywhere on your computer.
    Step 2. Put your phone in fastboot mode. If on Oreo, just power off and hold vol down while plugged in, if on PIE Power off press vol up, while plugged in.
    Step 3. In Windows 10 right click the start button and choose either "Command Prompt" or "Command Prompt(Admin)"
    Step 4. In the command prompt type cd followed by where you extracted the rar for me it's "cd C:\Users\juanj\Downloads\Flash\LGUPCompatableLAF" ( Windows 7 and older simply when in the extracted folder Hold Shift on your keyboard and right click and choose "open a command prompt here" ).
    Step 5. We need to get into the V35 Engineering bootloader, run this command: fastboot.exe set_active b and press enter. (If your on Oreo and have V35 bootloader in Slot_a skip this step.)
    Step 6. Reboot, and it should boot straight into the v35 eng if you were already on PIE.
    Step 7. Run this command to flash the LGUP Compatible LAF: fastboot.exe flash laf_a laf.img press enter.
    Step 8. Now, we need to get back to our A slot, run: fastboot.exe set_active a (again Skip if your already on Oreo with V35Bootloader in Slot_a).
    Step 9. Reboot by pressing and holding vol down and power while your device is plugged in (let go of the power button and volume down button and now press and hold vol up before the LG Logo shows up). You should be in download mode and LGUP will work.
    Step 10. follow the non root part but use Partition DL, Select all and uncheck abl_a and laf_a to keep the bootloader unlocked in Slot_a then abl_b and laf_b to keep V35 Fastboot access in Slot_b.

Thanks to: @CXZa @maxmotos @Xsavi
    Just so others know were you rooted before this?

yes, bl unlocked also :good:
    i'm getting mixed readings from this. do you need to be BL unlocked to do this? also can you root?

For my guide if you follow the no root part then no the second part is for people who are rooted.
    so if i want to root i'll need to be BL unlocked? sorry

Yes
    please use this map to confirm if you have band 71 coverage :
    https://maps.t-mobile.com/pcc.html?map=mvno-roamd-34l
    just drop pin on your area and it will show all the available tmobile frequency,
    if you do have b71 coverage, you can dial 277634#*# and go to "band selection" to lock your phone
    to b71, and then go to "engineering mode" to check if it is connected to band 71.
    wair for your update.

After flashing to v405QA7 , my unlocked AT&T V405UA can make volte and wifi calling on T-Mobile.
    No more missing calls indoors !

I can confirm band 2,4,12,66 are working fine on T-Mobile network. I can't verify band 71 because there is almost no 71 coverage in California.

---------- Post added at 10:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:26 AM ----------

That guide is by Xsavi it says superseded in the title

https://www.mylgphones.com/how-to-flash-stock-pie-kdz-firmware-on-lg-v40-thinq-with-lgup.html?amp

That guide above works. I followed the instructions and successfully crossflashed my unlocked V405UA Pie to V405QA7.