[GUIDE] Magisk for OxygenOS 11

humb13

Nov 24, 2016
Not to be redundant, but the file link you posted (OP8_Global_11.0.2.2_boot.img) is the original, untouched boot.img file - right? Pardon me for asking, but better to ask and told to shut up than to end up bricking the phone.

As you're well aware, I (we) don't need it right now, but when the next upgrade comes along it'll be essential in order to download the OTA upgrade.

BTW, the modded for-Global boot.img file scott.hart.bti posted is rock solid. Use it with confidence.

Last edited:

djmcnz

Retired Recognized Developer
Oct 13, 2009
Auckland, NZ
No full package yet that I'm aware of. I got tired of waiting, removed root, applied incremental update, found presumably the only person in the world that could pull a 11.0.2.2 boot image, I then patched it, and here we are.
Nailed it. Confirmed working on IN2010 Global (11.0.2.2.IN21AA), thanks.

Interested to know who/how pulled the boot image because you need root to do that and then you hit the chicken/egg situation. Please ask them either for more information or methods or to make themselves more available around update time!

Again, nice work, I have my systemless hosts back, whew.

hadid90

Jan 2, 2010
I am rooted .. and using hide magisk thingy ..

today i got the 11.0.2.2 update using oxygen updater ..

i want to update without wiping .. is it possible ? if so , what are the steps ?

more specifically, should i turn off hide magisk .. then reflash stock boot to disable root .. then flash ota .. then reflash patched boot.img ?

or it is possible to just directly updateusing the full ota and flash magisk ota thingy before rebooting ??

Thanks in advance to expert people :D

hadid90

Jan 2, 2010
I am rooted .. and using hide magisk thingy ..

today i got the 11.0.2.2 update using oxygen updater ..

i want to update without wiping .. is it possible ? if so , what are the steps ?

more specifically, should i turn off hide magisk .. then reflash stock boot to disable root .. then flash ota .. then reflash patched boot.img ?

or it is possible to just directly updateusing the full ota and flash magisk ota thingy before rebooting ??

Thanks in advance to expert people :D

I DID THIS :

Installed as usual for root - disable all magisk modules, restart, install local update, DON'T RESTART, install magisk direct, install magisk inactive slot, restart.

Update was normal. Data WAS NOT wiped.

djmcnz

Oct 13, 2009
Auckland, NZ
Forgive my ignorance, I just got my OP8 (upgraded from OP6), and I'd like to root.
I got the Europe Version of 11.0.2.2 on it right now.
Can I root using the Global version?
If not, does anybody have a link for the Europe Image for 11.0.2.2?
Or any instruction how to turn the OnePlus Official Support Download Link for 11.0.2.2.IN21BA zip into an Image?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Cheers
If you're running 11.0.2.2.IN21BA then you need the patched image specifically for that ROM, the first post here hasn't been updated but a couple of patched images have been posted in recent pages, you might have some luck there.

You can't turn that OTA file you've linked to into an usable image I'm afraid, it's a patch, not the whole ROM.

Reactions: ElSalvatore

ElSalvatore

Nov 28, 2011
Vienna
If you're running 11.0.2.2.IN21BA then you need the patched image specifically for that ROM, the first post here hasn't been updated but a couple of patched images have been posted in recent pages, you might have some luck there.

You can't turn that OTA file you've linked to into an usable image I'm afraid, it's a patch, not the whole ROM.
It has 2.8GB. It's actually the same size the Oxygen Updater says on a stock OP8 (10.5) when I choose "full update". Or am I getting something wrong here?

djmcnz

Oct 13, 2009
Auckland, NZ
It has 2.8GB. It's actually the same size the Oxygen Updater says on a stock OP8 (10.5) when I choose "full update". Or am I getting something wrong here?
Oh, it has OTA in the name but because you're going from 10 to 11 you need to full ROM, even via OTA. Hence the confusion.

You need to go back through the last ~5 pages of this thread and see if there is a patched boot image for your rom. If so, upgrade via OTA and then root.

dladz

Aug 24, 2010
Liverpool
I DID THIS :

Installed as usual for root - disable all magisk modules, restart, install local update, DON'T RESTART, install magisk direct, install magisk inactive slot, restart.

Update was normal. Data WAS NOT wiped.
You shouldn't install direct, you should use install then OTA install option.

It's that's what you meant

Flapjack

Aug 17, 2007
You shouldn't install direct, you should use install then OTA install option.

It's that's what you meant
I was wondering about this. I thought I read somewhere that direct install could cause issues, but wasn't sure.

I'm on the global OnePro 11.0.2.2 (AA) already, but just got the notification to update to Magisk 21.2.

Since all that is updating is Magisk (not the ROM itself), is the direct install method safe? What about modules? The only module I have installed is the Total Recall module for rooted call recording.

dladz

Aug 24, 2010
Liverpool
I was wondering about this. I thought I read somewhere that direct install could cause issues, but wasn't sure.

I'm on the global OnePro 11.0.2.2 (AA) already, but just got the notification to update to Magisk 21.2.

Since all that is updating is Magisk (not the ROM itself), is the direct install method safe? What about modules? The only module I have installed is the Total Recall module for rooted call recording.
Well you can only directly install via magisk once you have successfully booted and or flashed a patched boot.img

Ideally you would go to fastboot (phone in bootloader)

Then type: fastboot boot magisk_patched.img

Then the phone will boot, open magisk, click the top install button and then install directly.

The other thing you should avoid unless you know your boot img is perfect is to flash.

fastboot flash boot slot_a magisk_patched.img

Or slot_b

Booting is risk free.

In regards to magisk updating, I'd make sure I was on the beta channel then click the bottom install on the main page (magisk manager)

Then the top one via direct install, then reboot.

Reactions: Flapjack

Flapjack

Aug 17, 2007
Well you can only directly install via magisk once you have successfully booted and or flashed a patched boot.img

Ideally you would go to fastboot (phone in bootloader)

Then type: fastboot boot magisk_patched.img

Then the phone will boot, open magisk, click the top install button and then install directly.

The other thing you should avoid unless you know your boot img is perfect is to flash.

fastboot flash boot slot_a magisk_patched.img

Or slot_b

Booting is risk free.

In regards to magisk updating, I'd make sure I was on the beta channel then click the bottom install on the main page (magisk manager)

Then the top one via direct install, then reboot.
Thanks for the advice. I was able to do direct install with no issue (was already on the beta channel).

Ironically, I just got a notification for 11.0.6.7.KB05AA. I usually just do those, don't reboot, and apply Magisk to the inactive slot.

**EDIT**
Of course, now I'm getting the "Installation problem" message. Great.

Last edited:

Flapjack

Aug 17, 2007
Due to the "installation problem" error, I updated using the instructions in this article. Everything made sense, and it ended with the "install to inactive slot" method I was used to doing anyway. I rebooted just fine, but no longer have root. The only part of the article I skipped was obviously the TWRP retention script.

Guessing I'll be rootless for a while now, as I literally just got this OTA an hour or so ago. Pretty sure there's no full OTA available yet.

dladz

Aug 24, 2010
Liverpool
Due to the "installation problem" error, I updated using the instructions in this article. Everything made sense, and it ended with the "install to inactive slot" method I was used to doing anyway. I rebooted just fine, but no longer have root. The only part of the article I skipped was obviously the TWRP retention script.

Guessing I'll be rootless for a while now, as I literally just got this OTA an hour or so ago. Pretty sure there's no full OTA available yet.
Just check my guide in the guides section it's up to date and covers all this in depth

Reactions: Flapjack

opfans

Jan 7, 2021
Thanks for the advice. I was able to do direct install with no issue (was already on the beta channel).

Ironically, I just got a notification for 11.0.6.7.KB05AA. I usually just do those, don't reboot, and apply Magisk to the inactive slot.

**EDIT**
Of course, now I'm getting the "Installation problem" message. Great.
Hi, can you share 11.0.6.7.KB05AA Patched boot image with me? Thanks. Online waiting... (My oneplus8T system is broken)