[Guide] Magisk Modules Disabler for booting into Magisk core-only Mode

Tulsadiver

Recognized Contributor
Jul 11, 2013
Tools needed: boot.img extractor. I recommend the one created by osm0sis from this thread:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2073775

The first method was developed by osm0sis and removes magisk and all modules.
1. Unpack magisk_patched.img
2. Unzip overlay.dremove1.zip and place overlay.d folder in ramdisk folder.
3. Repack IMG
4. fastboot boot image-new.img created by repacking img

This method is an offshoot of osm0sis version but boots core-only mode. Afterwards, remove the .disable-magisk file from the /cache folder for modules to work. Dot files are hidden files so if your root explorer can't see hidden files, run the "Remove disable_magisk" bat file in ADB.

1. Same as above but use the overlay.dcoreonly1.zip

For both methods you must be rooted for it to work. These are not cure all's for all bootloops.

Remove .disable_magisk bat file
https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=4349826312261684994

Here is a fastboot bootable image to boot you into Magisk core-only mode, in case you bootloop due to flashing a bad module, in fastboot:

fastboot boot image-newpixel4xl.img

You will boot with root but modules disabled. After you remove the offending module you will need to go to /cache folder and delete the .disable_magisk file before your modules will work.

fastboot boot image-newpixel4xlRemove.img

This one should remove magisk and all modules, then reboot and magisk should reinstall itself (ask to install necessary binaries). This is what osm0sis uses to recover from failed flashes. See this post:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/pi...odules-disabler-booting-magisk-t3976625/page2

Images are in this common folder. Pick the appropriate image for your phone.

6-4-20
https://www.androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=313291

Attachments

Last edited:

burmjohn

Jan 9, 2012
Thanks for this, I was able to boot back into the OS. However, I had to do a complete uninstall of magisk to get rid of the bootloop.

Thanks again, saved me a wipe

Last edited:

Tulsadiver

Recognized Contributor
Jul 11, 2013
Thanks for this, I was able to boot back into the OS. However, I had to do a complete uninstall of magisk to get rid of the bootloop.

Thanks again, saved me a wipe
You're welcome. I've had to do a complete uninstall myself on several occasions.

Tulsadiver

Recognized Contributor
Jul 11, 2013
What was causing the issue for you? I tried to install exposed and thats when things went south
Mine have to do with my mods when I try new things, so usually SystemUIGoogle.apk. I've found that just deleting the apk itself from the modules and leaving the folders in place works best.

madscribblerz

Jan 13, 2014
Mine have to do with my mods when I try new things, so usually SystemUIGoogle.apk. I've found that just deleting the apk itself from the modules and leaving the folders in place works best.
I am very grateful that you put this together because I tried xposed and it didn't work and I was in an endless boot and I was able to grab this image and I came up right away. I don't know whether I'll try doing it again or not. I sure would like gravity box on the 4XL.

Tulsadiver

Recognized Contributor
Jul 11, 2013
I am very grateful that you put this together because I tried xposed and it didn't work and I was in an endless boot and I was able to grab this image and I came up right away. I don't know whether I'll try doing it again or not. I sure would like gravity box on the 4XL.
What kind of mods are you looking for?

madscribblerz

Jan 13, 2014
What kind of mods are you looking for?
I would like to be able to modify the quick settings to take away the text and allow the number of columns and rows to be set.

I'd like long press on volume to switch tracks.

I'd like to relocate my clock to center.

Have it say <smallcaps>Fri Oct 25</smallcaps> 4:35 <smallcaps>pm</smallcaps>

Control brightness with the status bar

Add more items to the power off menu (bootloader)

Expandable volume menu.

Last edited:

Tulsadiver

Recognized Contributor
Jul 11, 2013
I would like to be able to modify the quick settings to take away the text and allow the number of columns and rows to be set.

I'd like long press on volume to switch tracks.

I'd like to relocate my clock to center.

Have it say <smallcaps>Fri Oct 25</smallcaps> 4:35 <smallcaps>pm</smallcaps>

Control brightness with the status bar

Add more items to the power off menu (bootloader)

Expandable volume menu.
I can do a few of those...

madscribblerz

Jan 13, 2014
I can do a few of those...
I would like that very much. I'd much rather not use xposed. Every time I have it has been a little flaky. Do know though that I tried the center clock mod you already made and it wasn't working for me.

Perhaps because I'm on the .C4 release or because I'm using Nova?

Tulsadiver

Recognized Contributor
Jul 11, 2013
I would like that very much. I'd much rather not use xposed. Every time I have it has been a little flaky. Do know though that I tried the center clock mod you already made and it wasn't working for me.

Perhaps because I'm on the .C4 release or because I'm using Nova?
If it isn't working it's probably because of a module you have installed. I know it works.

madscribblerz

Jan 13, 2014
If it isn't working it's probably because of a module you have installed. I know it works.
I did some more troubleshooting and the clock mod does work now. But only sort of. It doesn't work with Nova set as the default launcher and gesture navigation. It disabled the home action as far as I can tell.

---------- Post added at 02:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:17 PM ----------

okay I think I figured it out. It had to do with the navigation gestures hiding the nav bars. Unless it's set to full Iimmersive mode then it somehow conflicts with the gestures and the launcher. Oddly this only happens with the clock mode enabled and not when it's not.

Tulsadiver

Recognized Contributor
Jul 11, 2013
okay I think I figured it out. It had to do with the navigation gestures hiding the nav bars. Unless it's set to full Iimmersive mode then it somehow conflicts with the gestures and the launcher. Oddly this only happens with the clock mode enabled and not when it's not.
You should get fluid NG. Much better gestures.

madscribblerz

Jan 13, 2014
You should get fluid NG. Much better gestures.
okay. I just changed the navigation bar to be visible since it's so unobtrusive in the gesture nav.

I also set up per app immersive, which more than makes up for the lost real estate.

Thanks for helping me sort it out,and even more so for the work you do on the mods. I've had a pixel since they came out, and I really like the stuff you did for my 2 xl and 3 xl.

Look forward to 2hat you do for the 4 xl ?.

Tulsadiver

Recognized Contributor
Jul 11, 2013
okay. I just changed the navigation bar to be visible since it's so unobtrusive in the gesture nav.

I also set up per app immersive, which more than makes up for the lost real estate.

Thanks for helping me sort it out,and even more so for the work you do on the mods. I've had a pixel since they came out, and I really like the stuff you did for my 2 xl and 3 xl.

Look forward to 2hat you do for the 4 xl .
I'm glad you got it to work!