[Guide/Magisk] Root for the Galaxy A10 Series & Flash TWRP (Unlocked Exynos only, A10s not supported)

Search This thread

afaneh92

Account currently disabled
Jul 31, 2012
How to Flash TWRP & Root Samsung Galaxy A10 series (Unlocked Exynos Only, A10s (A107F/M) not supported)

NOTICE :

Before you move further, make clear that rooting device -
- Your warranty will be void
- Some of functions may not work on rooted device, some function may get back with un rooting, some may never.
- All your data on device will be lost
- Flashing custom binaries may brick (Usually soft but can be hard brick too) your device, so follow it on your own risk!

If you are ready with condition, move further -

Before moving to root device, must read every single instruction given below as any small mistake can lead to fail to achieve root or may brick the device.

A. Unlocking Bootloader

This is a basic step to root device. Go to settings - about phone - Software Information - tap multiple times on "Build number" - This will open developer option.
Now in settings at the end, you will have new option "Developer options" - look for OEM unlocking - Enable it.

(PS : If you don't see this option then you may need to wait up to 7 days or more to appear or may be on some operator you will get it never. Without this option you can not root your device, sorry!).

How to get OEM Unlock option back?
1. Open the Settings app. Tap on General Management → Date and time.
2. Use the toggle button to disable Automatic date and time.
3. Set date option will be enabled now. Tap on it, and set the date to about 10-20 days earlier.
4. Enable developer options.
4.a Go to your device Settings.
4.b Select ‘About phone’ » tap seven times on ‘Build number’.
└ This will enable Developer options under Settings.
4.c Go back to Settings » scroll down to the bottom and you’ll see Developer options menu.
5. Open developer options (in the Settings app itself), and find the option called ‘Auto update system‘. Use the toggle button to disable it.
6. Now, go back to the main screen of Setting, and then tap on Software update.
7. Disable the option ‘Download updates automatically‘.
8. Tap on ‘Download updates manually‘ option, but it will give you an error because of the wrong date, so it’s fine.
9. Restart the device.
10. Go to Settings > Developer options. The OEM unlock option should be enabled now.

Once you have enable OEM unlock option, switch off your device and reboot to download mode.
To put device in download mode - Press Volume Up & then Press Volume Down (Keep holding both) and connect device to PC with USB cable
When device start to download mode, long press volume up to unlock the bootloader. This will wipe your data and automatically reboot

Now let finish setup and again enable developer options (as said above), and confirm that the OEM unlocking option exists and grayed out!
If it is not then you can not root device!

Once you see this option and greyed out, you are ready to flash custom binary and root your device.2. setup the phone by skipping the wizard.

B. Disabling Android Verified Boot
1. Reboot to DOWNLOAD mode.
2. Download Odin 3.14.4 or newer and make sure Samsung USB drivers are installed.
3. Open Odin and put the vbmeta_disabled.tar into USERDATA slot and click "Start"
4. Your device will reboot but it will not boot into system as vbmeta signature has changed.
5. Your device will reboot into RECOVERY mode automatically and prompt "You have to reset your device to factory settings". Use "Volume Up" or "Volume Down" button to move and "Power" button to select. Confirm and reset the device to factory settings.
6. This is the last time the data on the device has to be cleared. Afterwards, if you don't re-lock bootloader or re-enable the Android Verified Boot, you will not lose your data. Be aware, a stock firmware package contains a Android Verified Boot Metadata Image (vbmeta.img) with verifications enabled. You will need to flash the vbmeta_disable image (put into USERDATA slot) along with the stock firmware (use BL, AP, CP, CSC slots) to make sure AVB is not re-enabled and the data is preserved.

C. Flashing TWRP/Magisk
link

Important :

Due to the fact that some devices no longer uses ramdisk in boot images, Magisk has no choice but to be installed in the recovery partition. For these devices, you will have to boot to recovery every time if you want Magisk. Since both Magisk and recovery lives in the same partition, what you actually end up getting when you choose to boot to recovery will be determined by how long you press volume up.

• (Powering up normally) → (System with NO Magisk)
  • (OEM Recovery Key Combo) → (Splash screen) → (Release all buttons) → (System with Magisk)
  • (OEM Recovery Key Combo) → (Splash screen) → (Keep pressing volume up) → (Actual recovery)

Thanks and credit
For more details read Installation guide by @topjohnwu from Here.
All credit and thanks go to @topjohnwu for magisk & guide.
@dr.ketan for this guide from Here
@jesec for rooting guide Here
@ianmacd for multidisabler from here
Me

Attachments

• vbmeta_disabled.tar
    2 KB · Views: 17,236
Last edited:

dani3ltony

Mar 18, 2010
Kiryat Ata
Hi
Thanks for putting out the details guide!

I followed the steps carefully but got stuck at step 12 - the device boots to download mode and says: "error verifying vbmeta image..."
Luckily I was able to flash it back to stock - but the magisk_patched.tar looks faulty (I copied it using adb) so no root for me

Any ideas?

afaneh92

Jul 31, 2012
Hi
Thanks for putting out the details guide!

I followed the steps carefully but got stuck at step 12 - the device boots to download mode and says: "error verifying vbmeta image..."
Luckily I was able to flash it back to stock - but the magisk_patched.tar looks faulty (I copied it using adb) so no root for me

Any ideas?

Unplug USB and replug it then make sure the size of tar file almost the same as origin.

s_ryan

Oct 9, 2011
I also hit the same problem that soft-brick my phone.. just to confirm, the AP.md5 file u said to use, its name is this? AP_A105GDXU2ASE3_CL15918313_QB23932289_REV00_user_low_ship_meta_OS9.tar

Sure.

Flash AP file only for some reason the BL tar include vbmeta.img but you can patch it too.

s_ryan

Oct 9, 2011
Hey dude,

Thanks for the update, I have a problem with step 7

7) Open Magisk Manager - Magisk (first one) - Install - select to "Select and Patch file" - Navigate file you have copied to device (BL_[device_model_sw_ver].tar.md5).

I followed but magisk says No Boot image found, process error, installation failed

Guide updated with more details

afaneh92

Jul 31, 2012
Hey dude,

Thanks for the update, I have a problem with step 7

7) Open Magisk Manager - Magisk (first one) - Install - select to "Select and Patch file" - Navigate file you have copied to device (BL_[device_model_sw_ver].tar.md5).

I followed but magisk says No Boot image found, process error, installation failed
My bad I didnt test this, the BL file contain vbmeta.img and need to be patched. Will try to find better solution.
You can flash stock BL file only then reboot again to bootloader and flash the rest files.

s_ryan

Oct 9, 2011
I see.. no worries.. I tried to flash the patched ap file with the stock bl, it soft brinked my phone the last time I did it.. anyway, I will wait for your workaround..

Appreciate your help!

afaneh92

Jul 31, 2012
I see.. no worries.. I tried to flash the patched ap file with the stock bl, it soft brinked my phone the last time I did it.. anyway, I will wait for your workaround..

Appreciate your help!

Can you replace vbmeta.img from patched AP with BL using 7zip.
remove md5 extension from BL file.

2.Download A10_multidisabler-*-1.41.zip from here and copy to Ext Storage (Because once you flash TWRP, Int storage will not be readable)

I think it would be helpful to users if there were a single multi-disabler for all Samsung devices. To that end, I've incorporated your changes for the A10 into my multidisabler and attached a test version to this posting.

Will you please test it? If it works for you, I'll issue a new release.

Attachments

• multidisabler-samsung-1.5.zip
    2.9 KB · Views: 616
Reactions: afaneh92

afaneh92

Jul 31, 2012
I think it would be helpful to users if there were a single multi-disabler for all Samsung devices. To that end, I've incorporated your changes for the A10 into my multidisabler and attached a test version to this posting.

Will you please test it? If it works for you, I'll issue a new release.

Thanks for the update, I was thinking to make pull request with changes. After make sure every thing is working as it should.

Thanks for the update, I was thinking to make pull request with changes. After make sure every thing is working as it should.

Thanks. In your case, it's easier now if you just verify that the script I attached is working, since I've already integrated the changes you made in your clone.

Anyone who wants multidisabler support for a new device, however, can either send me a pull request against the latest code, or run the following script on a live, rooted device:

Code:
#!/bin/sh

getprop ro.boot.bootloader
echo --
ls -l /vendor/etc/init/pa_daemon*.rc /vendor/etc/fstab.exynos*
echo --
cat /vendor/etc/fstab.exynos*
echo --
su -c cat /init.rc

s_ryan

Oct 9, 2011
Hi dude..

I tried it.. unfortunately I still have problems.. here are some of the problems

1) my 7zip does not allow me to mod the BL files within the md5 extension, so I extracted them out and replaced the file manually then zip it to Tar.. (the VBmeta file is only 1kb) is that right?
2) after flashing via odin, I did a reboot, I encountered a VBMEta error, "Error verifying vbmeta image" Verification_disabled bit is (cant see it, block by the camera module)

In the end, i restored the firmware and got everything back.

droidzer1

Oct 28, 2013
Hi dude..

I tried it.. unfortunately I still have problems.. here are some of the problems

1) my 7zip does not allow me to mod the BL files within the md5 extension, so I extracted them out and replaced the file manually then zip it to Tar.. (the VBmeta file is only 1kb) is that right?
2) after flashing via odin, I did a reboot, I encountered a VBMEta error, "Error verifying vbmeta image" Verification_disabled bit is (cant see it, block by the camera module)

In the end, i restored the firmware and got everything back.

Try using this vbmeta.img (inside the tar file). It worked for me on the A20 with similar error. This file normally seems to be a checksum checker and if it doesn't match what the phone wants to see it gives you that error. But this file was modified to essentially be blank so there is nothing to give the phone an error.

Attachments

• vbmeta.tar
    2 KB · Views: 1,783
Reactions: s_ryan

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    How to Flash TWRP & Root Samsung Galaxy A10 series (Unlocked Exynos Only, A10s (A107F/M) not supported)

NOTICE :

Before you move further, make clear that rooting device -
    - Your warranty will be void
    - Some of functions may not work on rooted device, some function may get back with un rooting, some may never.
    - All your data on device will be lost
    - Flashing custom binaries may brick (Usually soft but can be hard brick too) your device, so follow it on your own risk!

If you are ready with condition, move further -

Before moving to root device, must read every single instruction given below as any small mistake can lead to fail to achieve root or may brick the device.

A. Unlocking Bootloader

This is a basic step to root device. Go to settings - about phone - Software Information - tap multiple times on "Build number" - This will open developer option.
    Now in settings at the end, you will have new option "Developer options" - look for OEM unlocking - Enable it.

(PS : If you don't see this option then you may need to wait up to 7 days or more to appear or may be on some operator you will get it never. Without this option you can not root your device, sorry!).

How to get OEM Unlock option back?
    1. Open the Settings app. Tap on General Management → Date and time.
    2. Use the toggle button to disable Automatic date and time.
    3. Set date option will be enabled now. Tap on it, and set the date to about 10-20 days earlier.
    4. Enable developer options.
    4.a Go to your device Settings.
    4.b Select ‘About phone’ » tap seven times on ‘Build number’.
    └ This will enable Developer options under Settings.
    4.c Go back to Settings » scroll down to the bottom and you’ll see Developer options menu.
    5. Open developer options (in the Settings app itself), and find the option called ‘Auto update system‘. Use the toggle button to disable it.
    6. Now, go back to the main screen of Setting, and then tap on Software update.
    7. Disable the option ‘Download updates automatically‘.
    8. Tap on ‘Download updates manually‘ option, but it will give you an error because of the wrong date, so it’s fine.
    9. Restart the device.
    10. Go to Settings > Developer options. The OEM unlock option should be enabled now.

Once you have enable OEM unlock option, switch off your device and reboot to download mode.
    To put device in download mode - Press Volume Up & then Press Volume Down (Keep holding both) and connect device to PC with USB cable
    When device start to download mode, long press volume up to unlock the bootloader. This will wipe your data and automatically reboot

Now let finish setup and again enable developer options (as said above), and confirm that the OEM unlocking option exists and grayed out!
    If it is not then you can not root device!

Once you see this option and greyed out, you are ready to flash custom binary and root your device.2. setup the phone by skipping the wizard.

B. Disabling Android Verified Boot
    1. Reboot to DOWNLOAD mode.
    2. Download Odin 3.14.4 or newer and make sure Samsung USB drivers are installed.
    3. Open Odin and put the vbmeta_disabled.tar into USERDATA slot and click "Start"
    4. Your device will reboot but it will not boot into system as vbmeta signature has changed.
    5. Your device will reboot into RECOVERY mode automatically and prompt "You have to reset your device to factory settings". Use "Volume Up" or "Volume Down" button to move and "Power" button to select. Confirm and reset the device to factory settings.
    6. This is the last time the data on the device has to be cleared. Afterwards, if you don't re-lock bootloader or re-enable the Android Verified Boot, you will not lose your data. Be aware, a stock firmware package contains a Android Verified Boot Metadata Image (vbmeta.img) with verifications enabled. You will need to flash the vbmeta_disable image (put into USERDATA slot) along with the stock firmware (use BL, AP, CP, CSC slots) to make sure AVB is not re-enabled and the data is preserved.

C. Flashing TWRP/Magisk
    link

Important :

Due to the fact that some devices no longer uses ramdisk in boot images, Magisk has no choice but to be installed in the recovery partition. For these devices, you will have to boot to recovery every time if you want Magisk. Since both Magisk and recovery lives in the same partition, what you actually end up getting when you choose to boot to recovery will be determined by how long you press volume up.

• (Powering up normally) → (System with NO Magisk)
    • (OEM Recovery Key Combo) → (Splash screen) → (Release all buttons) → (System with Magisk)
    • (OEM Recovery Key Combo) → (Splash screen) → (Keep pressing volume up) → (Actual recovery)

Thanks and credit
    For more details read Installation guide by @topjohnwu from Here.
    All credit and thanks go to @topjohnwu for magisk & guide.
    @dr.ketan for this guide from Here
    @jesec for rooting guide Here
    @ianmacd for multidisabler from here
    Me
    Could you try flashing twrp and try pulling some dmesg logcat last_kmsg to see what's causes the bootloop I have postedbon magisk general thanks for any help you provide

Hi, sorry iv'e been so busy. Ok so ive started building a custom rom that will be flashed through odin - (odin because of twrp issue!) Maybe that will get sorted soon, the rom will be rooted with latest magisk, will have rom control lots of mods ect.... i have already patched the device status to official, and patched and got secure folder ect working.... the problem is im so limited for time due to work and im also working away - im hoping next weekend to have it built and released.

After following the procedure on section C number 4, it didn't went to recovery mode. Now my phone won't turn on (bricked) but it somehow it's detected on preloader using sp flash tool. My problem is I can't find anywhere a firmware file for sp flash tool mtk. Can someone please help, thanks
    Title says "Exynos only" is that mean mtk in any language?
    I also hit the same problem that soft-brick my phone.. just to confirm, the AP.md5 file u said to use, its name is this? AP_A105GDXU2ASE3_CL15918313_QB23932289_REV00_user_low_ship_meta_OS9.tar

yes

will try to make patched tar for all bootloaders when I got some free time.
    I did all the steps

Phone can't seem to enter the usb file transfer on my pc

Any ideas?

- Check drivers installed correctly on PC.
    - Use sdcard.
    - Buy new USB cable!
    - Go outside and smoke cigarette!
    - Buy new device.