[Guide/Magisk] Root for the Galaxy A10 Series & Flash TWRP (Unlocked Exynos only, A10s not supported)

Search This thread

polyaniline

Sep 7, 2020
Installing TWRP on the A10 with Heimdall on GNU/Linux

Hey,
Thanks for the port. I only have two computers, both running Linux, So Odin is not an option for me. I've been trying to follow your steps, replacing Odin with corresponding Heimdall operations. Jodin does not work at all, btw.
I got the bootloader unlocked, but every time I try to flash the recovery.img file, with partition set to RECOVERY(16) in Heimdall, I get the message "Error validating footer" on my phone.

Also, when I flashed the vbmeta.img file within the tar archive using the USERDATA partition in Heimdall, my phone booted into a screen saying "An error has occurred while updating the device software. Use the emergency recovery function in the Smartswitch PC Software". I fixed this issue by flashing the stock userdata.img file to USERDATA.
There's a partition in the list in Heimdall called VBMETA. Should I flash vbmeta.img there instead of USERDATA?
It would be good if there was a guide on doing this with Heimdall on GNU/Linux.

My end goal, by the way, is to install the LineageOS port to the A10.
Thanks for replying!

Update: I flashed vbmeta.img to the VBMETA partition in Heindall, and I can now flash TWRP to partition RECOVERY with the message "Flash completed successfully" on Heindall, but the recovery doesn't change. I still get the stock recovery when I boot to it with Vol Up + power buttons.

Last edited:

afaneh92

Account currently disabled
Jul 31, 2012
Hey,
Thanks for the port. I only have two computers, both running Linux, So Odin is not an option for me. I've been trying to follow your steps, replacing Odin with corresponding Heimdall operations. Jodin does not work at all, btw.
I got the bootloader unlocked, but every time I try to flash the recovery.img file, with partition set to RECOVERY(16) in Heimdall, I get the message "Error validating footer" on my phone.

Also, when I flashed the vbmeta.img file within the tar archive using the USERDATA partition in Heimdall, my phone booted into a screen saying "An error has occurred while updating the device software. Use the emergency recovery function in the Smartswitch PC Software". I fixed this issue by flashing the stock userdata.img file to USERDATA.
There's a partition in the list in Heimdall called VBMETA. Should I flash vbmeta.img there instead of USERDATA?
It would be good if there was a guide on doing this with Heimdall on GNU/Linux.

My end goal, by the way, is to install the LineageOS port to the A10.
Thanks for replying!

Update: I flashed vbmeta.img to the VBMETA partition in Heindall, and I can now flash TWRP to partition RECOVERY with the message "Flash completed successfully" on Heindall, but the recovery doesn't change. I still get the stock recovery when I boot to it with Vol Up + power buttons.

you need to flash multidisabler in twrp to avoid stock recovery restoration

Rick1684

Sep 25, 2012
New Carlisle
Hey, I have an a10e with Android 10 and no oem unlock option. Will I be able to use your file to install rooted boot.img after odining to useradata vbmeta and format?

leshacat

Oct 24, 2020
A10e cannot be unlocked, unless you find a service to get you unlock.

Funny...

My A10E is unlocked... And there is no "OEM Unlocking" option in the developer settings.

You can tell by trying to go into download mode anyways (it wouldnt work without the unlocking)

Power off then press and hold volume up + volume down and also power btn.

If you see download mode, carry on (ignore the OEM unlocking step)

I assume the 'E' in A10E stands for Exynos?

afaneh92

Jul 31, 2012
Funny...

My A10E is unlocked... And there is no "OEM Unlocking" option in the developer settings.

You can tell by trying to go into download mode anyways (it wouldnt work without the unlocking)

Power off then press and hold volume up + volume down and also power btn.

If you see download mode, carry on (ignore the OEM unlocking step)

I assume the 'E' in A10E stands for Exynos?

"e" stand for USA devices. USA device known with no oem unlock option.
My S10 G973U unlocked with paid service and can flash custom stuff without oem unlock option enabled or exist.
If you can flash custom stuff that mean your unlocked otherwise go and buy unlocked device.

sompinse

Oct 17, 2019
OnePlus 7 Pro
Error message blocked because of installment balance

Hello,

It is greatly appreciated that you put out a detailed guide. I am trying to root my Samsung A10 SM-105M phone right now. I did some research and I think you have the best guide.
My problem is with step #3, yeah I know I didn't make it far; I am new to this whole thing. The error message says, "Custom binary blocked due to remaining installment balance."
No idea what that means or how to fix it. Thanks for your help.

danieladaniela

Oct 11, 2011
I also need help, please. It is a long time I don't have had a device to root.

I completed A and B. I think I am not rooted because superuser says I'm not. I used to root and then be able to use a terminal as root. I am rather confused and ignorant with regards to the boot process etc (perhaps you can also advise something to read?)
How do I find out what is the correct TWRP for my device? What are TWRP and Magisk for? I am not interested in custom ROMs and the like, but rather, say, a hosts file (I know, it is obsolete and ignored by many - but something it filters out). I also would like to install a firewall, deny arbitrary access to specific apps (facebook comes to mind), etc.

Thank you a lot

afaneh92

Jul 31, 2012
Hello,

It is greatly appreciated that you put out a detailed guide. I am trying to root my Samsung A10 SM-105M phone right now. I did some research and I think you have the best guide.
My problem is with step #3, yeah I know I didn't make it far; I am new to this whole thing. The error message says, "Custom binary blocked due to remaining installment balance."
No idea what that means or how to fix it. Thanks for your help.
that warning shown after following the guide or before and you are trying to remove it?

I also need help, please. It is a long time I don't have had a device to root.

I completed A and B. I think I am not rooted because superuser says I'm not. I used to root and then be able to use a terminal as root. I am rather confused and ignorant with regards to the boot process etc (perhaps you can also advise something to read?)
How do I find out what is the correct TWRP for my device? What are TWRP and Magisk for? I am not interested in custom ROMs and the like, but rather, say, a hosts file (I know, it is obsolete and ignored by many - but something it filters out). I also would like to install a firewall, deny arbitrary access to specific apps (facebook comes to mind), etc.

Thank you a lot

Always use latest, also my TWRP not supported on newer bootloader version, you can find out.

dornz

Feb 19, 2013
Ok so rooted this device already before I spotted this thread so if I flash twrp via Odin should be good :good:

matzhue

Nov 4, 2020
I think title said exynos only not mtk.

The problem is that I have no idea what that means. On a google search it shows that they are processing chipsets, so I guess that explains it. Very frustrating because there's no good tutorials for rooting the Galaxy A10S, even though the bloatware on it is so significant that it inhibits you from using it as a phone.

Last edited:

afaneh92

Jul 31, 2012
The problem is that I have no idea what that means. On a google search it shows that they are processing chipsets, so I guess that explains it. Very frustrating because there's no good tutorials for rooting the Galaxy A10S, even though the bloatware on it is so significant that it inhibits you from using it as a phone.

If you asked before I could send you root files.
Im working on TWRP for A10s but still not ready, samsung is sh!t on mtk soc.

didymus

Jan 19, 2020
Moto G7 Play
OnePlus 7 Pro
So I am using Odin3 v3.14.4 and every time I've tried to flash `vbmeta_disabled.tar` I get this SHA256 error. I've attached a picture. I thought this error was fixed many versions ago in Odin? I'm going to reread the comments and hopefully find something that I missed. If anyone can help me I'd really appreciate it. Thank you.

pankeca

Mar 22, 2012
Hello, I've tried 3 different ways and nothing work.
Your method got me stuck on boot after step 7.
I need more instructions in how to magisk recovery install.https://dl.xda-cdn.com/5/1/3/2/0/8/1/IMG_20201108_161925.jpg?key=HTM9DAfoeOA3OhUcaIYKJA&ts=1604856611

Attachments

• IMG_20201108_161925.jpg
    IMG_20201108_161925.jpg
    224.6 KB · Views: 94

jehusedillo1

Jan 21, 2021
[Guide/Magisk] Root for the Galaxy A10 Series & Flash TWRP (Unlocked Exynos only)

How to Flash TWRP & Root Samsung Galaxy A10 series (Unlocked Exynos Only)

Before moving to root device, must read every single instruction given below as any small mistake can lead to fail to achieve root or may brick the device.

A. Unlocking Bootloader

This is a basic step to root device. Go to settings - about phone - Software Information - tap multiple times on "Build number" - This will open developer option.
Now in settings at the end, you will have new option "Developer options" - look for OEM unlocking - Enable it.

(PS : If you don't see this option then you may need to wait up to 7 days or more to appear or may be on some operator you will get it never. Without this option you can not root your device, sorry!).

How to get OEM Unlock option back?
1. Open the Settings app. Tap on General Management → Date and time.
2. Use the toggle button to disable Automatic date and time.
3. Set date option will be enabled now. Tap on it, and set the date to about 10-20 days earlier.
4. Enable developer options.
4.a Go to your device Settings.
4.b Select ‘About phone’ » tap seven times on ‘Build number’.
└ This will enable Developer options under Settings.
4.c Go back to Settings » scroll down to the bottom and you’ll see Developer options menu.
5. Open developer options (in the Settings app itself), and find the option called ‘Auto update system‘. Use the toggle button to disable it.
6. Now, go back to the main screen of Setting, and then tap on Software update.
7. Disable the option ‘Download updates automatically‘.
8. Tap on ‘Download updates manually‘ option, but it will give you an error because of the wrong date, so it’s fine.
9. Restart the device.
10. Go to Settings > Developer options. The OEM unlock option should be enabled now.

Once you have enable OEM unlock option, switch off your device and reboot to download mode.
To put device in download mode - Press Volume Up & then Press Volume Down (Keep holding both) and connect device to PC with USB cable
When device start to download mode, long press volume up to unlock the bootloader. This will wipe your data and automatically reboot

Now let finish setup and again enable developer options (as said above), and confirm that the OEM unlocking option exists and grayed out!
If it is not then you can not root device!

Once you see this option and greyed out, you are ready to flash custom binary and root your device.2. setup the phone by skipping the wizard.

B. Disabling Android Verified Boot
1. Reboot to DOWNLOAD mode.
2. Download Odin 3.14.4 or newer and make sure Samsung USB drivers are installed.
3. Open Odin and put the vbmeta_disabled.tar into USERDATA slot and click "Start"
4. Your device will reboot but it will not boot into system as vbmeta signature has changed.
5. Your device will reboot into RECOVERY mode automatically and prompt "You have to reset your device to factory settings". Use "Volume Up" or "Volume Down" button to move and "Power" button to select. Confirm and reset the device to factory settings.
6. This is the last time the data on the device has to be cleared. Afterwards, if you don't re-lock bootloader or re-enable the Android Verified Boot, you will not lose your data. Be aware, a stock firmware package contains a Android Verified Boot Metadata Image (vbmeta.img) with verifications enabled. You will need to flash the vbmeta_disable image (put into USERDATA slot) along with the stock firmware (use BL, AP, CP, CSC slots) to make sure AVB is not re-enabled and the data is preserved.

C. Flashing TWRP/Magisk
1. Reboot your device to DOWNLOAD mode.
2. Download TWRP for your device from here.
3. Put the recovery TAR flashable into AP slot, Click start.
4. Immediately use Volume Up + Power to reboot into recovery mode.
5. Download multidisabler-samsung-*.zip from here and copy to Ext Storage (Because once you flash TWRP, Int storage will not be readable)
6. Install multidisabler-samsung-*.zip
7. Reboot to recovery and select WIPE - Format Data
8. Install Magisk via recovery.
9. Enjoy!

Done! Now you have TWRP with Rooted device.

PS : Once you Install patched TWRP and flash multidisabler*.zip, your OEM unlock option will set to Off and can not be turned ON because of hacked OEM function. This is made intentionally to prevent official binary error.

Important :

Due to the fact that some devices no longer uses ramdisk in boot images, Magisk has no choice but to be installed in the recovery partition. For these devices, you will have to boot to recovery every time if you want Magisk. Since both Magisk and recovery lives in the same partition, what you actually end up getting when you choose to boot to recovery will be determined by how long you press volume up.

• (Powering up normally) → (System with NO Magisk)
  • (OEM Recovery Key Combo) → (Splash screen) → (Release all buttons) → (System with Magisk)
  • (OEM Recovery Key Combo) → (Splash screen) → (Keep pressing volume up) → (Actual recovery)

Thanks and credit
For more details read Installation guide by @topjohnwu from Here.
All credit and thanks go to @topjohnwu for magisk & guide.
@dr.ketan for this guide from Here
@jesec for rooting guide Here
@ianmacd for multidisabler from here
Me

After following the procedure on section C number 4, it didn't went to recovery mode. Now my phone won't turn on (bricked) but it somehow it's detected on preloader using sp flash tool. My problem is I can't find anywhere a firmware file for sp flash tool mtk. Can someone please help, thanks

afaneh92

Jul 31, 2012
After following the procedure on section C number 4, it didn't went to recovery mode. Now my phone won't turn on (bricked) but it somehow it's detected on preloader using sp flash tool. My problem is I can't find anywhere a firmware file for sp flash tool mtk. Can someone please help, thanks
Title says "Exynos only" is that mean mtk in any language?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    How to Flash TWRP & Root Samsung Galaxy A10 series (Unlocked Exynos Only, A10s (A107F/M) not supported)

NOTICE :

Before you move further, make clear that rooting device -
    - Your warranty will be void
    - Some of functions may not work on rooted device, some function may get back with un rooting, some may never.
    - All your data on device will be lost
    - Flashing custom binaries may brick (Usually soft but can be hard brick too) your device, so follow it on your own risk!

If you are ready with condition, move further -

Before moving to root device, must read every single instruction given below as any small mistake can lead to fail to achieve root or may brick the device.

A. Unlocking Bootloader

This is a basic step to root device. Go to settings - about phone - Software Information - tap multiple times on "Build number" - This will open developer option.
    Now in settings at the end, you will have new option "Developer options" - look for OEM unlocking - Enable it.

(PS : If you don't see this option then you may need to wait up to 7 days or more to appear or may be on some operator you will get it never. Without this option you can not root your device, sorry!).

How to get OEM Unlock option back?
    1. Open the Settings app. Tap on General Management → Date and time.
    2. Use the toggle button to disable Automatic date and time.
    3. Set date option will be enabled now. Tap on it, and set the date to about 10-20 days earlier.
    4. Enable developer options.
    4.a Go to your device Settings.
    4.b Select ‘About phone’ » tap seven times on ‘Build number’.
    └ This will enable Developer options under Settings.
    4.c Go back to Settings » scroll down to the bottom and you’ll see Developer options menu.
    5. Open developer options (in the Settings app itself), and find the option called ‘Auto update system‘. Use the toggle button to disable it.
    6. Now, go back to the main screen of Setting, and then tap on Software update.
    7. Disable the option ‘Download updates automatically‘.
    8. Tap on ‘Download updates manually‘ option, but it will give you an error because of the wrong date, so it’s fine.
    9. Restart the device.
    10. Go to Settings > Developer options. The OEM unlock option should be enabled now.

Once you have enable OEM unlock option, switch off your device and reboot to download mode.
    To put device in download mode - Press Volume Up & then Press Volume Down (Keep holding both) and connect device to PC with USB cable
    When device start to download mode, long press volume up to unlock the bootloader. This will wipe your data and automatically reboot

Now let finish setup and again enable developer options (as said above), and confirm that the OEM unlocking option exists and grayed out!
    If it is not then you can not root device!

Once you see this option and greyed out, you are ready to flash custom binary and root your device.2. setup the phone by skipping the wizard.

B. Disabling Android Verified Boot
    1. Reboot to DOWNLOAD mode.
    2. Download Odin 3.14.4 or newer and make sure Samsung USB drivers are installed.
    3. Open Odin and put the vbmeta_disabled.tar into USERDATA slot and click "Start"
    4. Your device will reboot but it will not boot into system as vbmeta signature has changed.
    5. Your device will reboot into RECOVERY mode automatically and prompt "You have to reset your device to factory settings". Use "Volume Up" or "Volume Down" button to move and "Power" button to select. Confirm and reset the device to factory settings.
    6. This is the last time the data on the device has to be cleared. Afterwards, if you don't re-lock bootloader or re-enable the Android Verified Boot, you will not lose your data. Be aware, a stock firmware package contains a Android Verified Boot Metadata Image (vbmeta.img) with verifications enabled. You will need to flash the vbmeta_disable image (put into USERDATA slot) along with the stock firmware (use BL, AP, CP, CSC slots) to make sure AVB is not re-enabled and the data is preserved.

C. Flashing TWRP/Magisk
    link

Important :

Due to the fact that some devices no longer uses ramdisk in boot images, Magisk has no choice but to be installed in the recovery partition. For these devices, you will have to boot to recovery every time if you want Magisk. Since both Magisk and recovery lives in the same partition, what you actually end up getting when you choose to boot to recovery will be determined by how long you press volume up.

• (Powering up normally) → (System with NO Magisk)
    • (OEM Recovery Key Combo) → (Splash screen) → (Release all buttons) → (System with Magisk)
    • (OEM Recovery Key Combo) → (Splash screen) → (Keep pressing volume up) → (Actual recovery)

Thanks and credit
    For more details read Installation guide by @topjohnwu from Here.
    All credit and thanks go to @topjohnwu for magisk & guide.
    @dr.ketan for this guide from Here
    @jesec for rooting guide Here
    @ianmacd for multidisabler from here
    Me
    Could you try flashing twrp and try pulling some dmesg logcat last_kmsg to see what's causes the bootloop I have postedbon magisk general thanks for any help you provide

Hi, sorry iv'e been so busy. Ok so ive started building a custom rom that will be flashed through odin - (odin because of twrp issue!) Maybe that will get sorted soon, the rom will be rooted with latest magisk, will have rom control lots of mods ect.... i have already patched the device status to official, and patched and got secure folder ect working.... the problem is im so limited for time due to work and im also working away - im hoping next weekend to have it built and released.

Title says "Exynos only" is that mean mtk in any language?
    I also hit the same problem that soft-brick my phone.. just to confirm, the AP.md5 file u said to use, its name is this? AP_A105GDXU2ASE3_CL15918313_QB23932289_REV00_user_low_ship_meta_OS9.tar

yes

will try to make patched tar for all bootloaders when I got some free time.
    I did all the steps

Phone can't seem to enter the usb file transfer on my pc

Any ideas?

- Check drivers installed correctly on PC.
    - Use sdcard.
    - Buy new USB cable!
    - Go outside and smoke cigarette!
    - Buy new device.