• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

How To Guide [GUIDE] [Magisk] [Unlock / ROOT / Keep Root] OOS 11.2.8.8

Search This thread

Andrew8578

Apr 2, 2021
I've tried the 11.2.7.7AA boot image, because my updater doesn't work even after restoring image, and it still shows i'm at 11.2.6.6AA. Is there an error?
I ended up uninstalling magisk, flash stock boot image (11.2.6.6AA)
and checked if I could install the update, and I was able to.
I then paused the installation, rebooted in fastboot and flashed magisked boot image
continued the update, and install magisks to inactive slot.

I hope this helps someone who have the same issue as me!

the bolt of thunder

Jun 15, 2011
OnePlus 9 Pro
I then paused the installation, rebooted in fastboot and flashed magisked boot image

I wonder why you had to do that.

cixelsyddyslexic

Sep 14, 2011
I've tried the 11.2.7.7AA boot image, because my updater doesn't work even after restoring image, and it still shows i'm at 11.2.6.6AA. Is there an error?
I am having the same issue. Installation errors out immediately (also errors at 1% using OnePlus Updater to attempt manual install). This is with the original image flashed back as per post #1.

I didn't see anything useful or relevant in a logcat but can share if someone wants to take a look.

cixelsyddyslexic

Sep 14, 2011

I am not sure what you mean by "paused the installation" and rebooted to fastboot? How can you interrupt the process and yet have it complete?

Fre$h

Oct 22, 2013
HTC U11
OnePlus 9 Pro
So, @oneplus if you read me, when will you push 11.2.7.7BA guys ??
Nearly two weeks india people received it, nearly one week us people did too.
For the second time since the O+ 9 series I can notice that we are just delivered not only after everyone else, but VERY LATER after them ...
Hope you'll read that, you that were promoting your excellent sells scores in Europe ( +300% ..) Huging press people is a thing, but giving your customers the threat they deserve will certainly help you more !

Reactions: Kimple

cjx11111

Jul 14, 2017
So, @oneplus if you read me, when will you push 11.2.7.7BA guys ??
Nearly two weeks india people received it, nearly one week us people did too.
For the second time since the O+ 9 series I can notice that we are just delivered not only after everyone else, but VERY LATER after them ...
Hope you'll read that, you that were promoting your excellent sells scores in Europe ( +300% ..) Huging press people is a thing, but giving your customers the threat they deserve will certainly help you more !
but not all US people got it! Seems just few !

KTFA

Aug 17, 2014
OnePlus 9 Pro
First sorry for my English ..I have question when i unlock bootloader will i get warining bootloader? If answer "yes" ok

If i relock bootloader again the warning bootloader goes or not? and status comes relock or locked?

OnePlus 9 pro
11.2.7.7AA
LE2120

Thanks 💐

cjx11111

Jul 14, 2017
First sorry for my English ..I have question when i unlock bootloader will i get warining bootloader? If answer "yes" ok

If i relock bootloader again the warning bootloader goes or not? and status comes relock or locked?

OnePlus 9 pro
11.2.7.7AA
LE2120

Thanks 💐
it will not appear

Reactions: KTFA

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Since rooting, my Amazon app won't work. Whether in majisk hide or not, I keep getting an error whenever I try to use it. Any one have similar issues?

disable Web server in AdAway Preferences
    and reboot !

disable Web server in AdAway Preferences
    and reboot !

Perfect! Thank you for your help!!
    If you cant see your OnePlus in Bootloader mode with "fastboot devices" but you can see it while it is running Android, then have a look here: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...stboot-mode-windows-10.4194491/#post-83989633
    Windows 10 now blocks "unsigned drivers" like the OnePlus Android Bootloader Interface (OnePlus_android_winusb.inf). In Windows 10 Advanced startup Options you have to "Disable driver signing enforcement" and set the driver manually. Then it will also show up in Bootloader mode perfectly. Im posting this here because many people seem to have this problem and it took me some time to find the solution.
    can someone explain how to use the MSM tool? or how to go back to stock from a rom? i checked the MSM xda and it looks like you just unzip it and run it but my system doesnt know what to open it as
    Have you read the first post? Everything is there.

Return your phone to unlock and unroot? :​

Option 1 : Original Boot & relock with fastboot command

Step 1 - Restore orignal boot.img​

Option A : Thru Magisk App
    Open Magisk App on your phone. You will see the Uninstall button in the app. Just click on Uninstall button.
    Then you need to click on Complete Uninstall. Your phone will be rebooted automatically.

Option B : Thru fastboot mode
    Flash back the original boot.img (w/o magisk) and reboot
    Code once in fastboot mode:
    "fastboot flash Original_boot.img" (use the "Original_boot.img" from the above zip file)
    Change to the exact name "Original_boot.img" of the boot that has been posted in the above zip file
    "fastboot reboot"
    Once booted, remove Magisk application

Option C : Flash the current or latest full OTA zip twice. Why twice, to ensure both slot have the latest update flashed with original boot.

Step 2 - Relock the bootloader​

1. Execute the following command to proceed for bootloader unlocking: "fastboot oem lock"

2. A verification window will appear on your mobile device asking to confirm the action. Just highlight “Relock Bootloader”using volume buttons and hit the power button to confirm.
    1621542183784.png

3. The phone will initialize to relock the bootloader. It will take some time to reboot after resetting the whole phone into a locked stage.

4. Your device is now locked again !

Option 2 : MSM Tool

MSM tool will relock your boaloader !​

FYI. Just updated OOS via the System OTA to 11.2.7.7 (BA), following the instructions from #1 (install magisk to inactive slot after install, before rebooting). No problems so far.
    This tutorial will :
    • provide you with all the steps to root your Oneplus 9 Pro (with your bootloader already unlocked)
    • provide you with all the steps to unlock your Oneplus 9 Pro bootloader
    • provide you with all the steps to keep root during/after an OTA (system update)
    • provide you with a lot tricks if you have troubleshooting questions
    • provide you with a lot of solutions of you have softbricked your Oneplus 9 Pro
    • provide you with all the ways if you want to bring back your Oneplus 9 Pro to unroot & lock back the bootloader
    Boot & Magisked boot images :

OOS 11.2.8.8 boot :
    Untouched/magisked (AA)
    Untouched/Magisked (BA)
    Untouched/Magisked (DA)

OOS 11.2.7.7 boot :
    Untouched/magisked (AA)
    Untouched/Magisked (BA)
    Untouched/Magisked (DA)

OOS 11.2.6.6 boot :
    Untouched/magisked (AA)
    Untouched/Magisked (BA)
    Untouched/Magisked (DA)

OOS 11.2.5.5 boot :
    Untouched/magisked (AA)
    Untouched/Magisked (BA)
    Untouched/Magisked (DA)

OOS 11.2.4.4 boot :
    Untouched/magisked (AA)
    Untouched/Magisked (BA)
    Untouched/Magisked (DA)

LE2120 - China : ColorOS
    LE2121 - India : DA
    LE2123 - EU : BA
    LE2125 - NA/Global : AA
    LE2127 - T-Mobile : ACB

STEPS to root your device:

I recommand to update first your device with all OTA available using Settings/updates before unlocking & rooting it.

Root your Oneplus 9 Pro (with Bootloader already unlocked)

Step 1 - Booting temporarily root​

1. Connect your phone to your pc and boot it into fastboot mode. You can leave it connected throughout this guide.

2. First, enter the following command in the PowerShell/Terminal window to ensure that your PC can communicate with the phone over the fastboot interface.

"fastboot devices"
    OnePlus-8T-Rooting-fastboot-devices-command.jpg
    The command should return your phone’s unique ID. In case it doesn’t, then make sure that you have the required USB drivers installed and restart your PC. You can also use TOOL ALL IN ONE, not officially updated to Oneplus 9 Pro but once install go to Others options and go to Install drivers.

3. Code once in fastboot mode:
    "fastboot boot magisk_boot.img" (use the "magisk_boot.img" from the above zip file)
    Change to the exact name "magisk_boot.img" of the boot that has been patched in the above zip file
    "fastboot reboot"

OnePlus-8T-Rooting-Flash-Magisk-Patched-Boot-Image.jpg

You could flash this boot.img, but it's safer to temporarily boot from it without overwriting your existing image in case anything went wrong along the way. The effect is that you still get root access without modifying your device, and then you can use the much safer Magisk direct install option, which has some safeguards in place.

By booting with the patched image, you now have temporary root access. To make it permanent open Magisk app.

a. Select the Install option.
    b. Use Direct Install (Recommended) to root your internal boot.img

OnePlus-8T-Install-Magisk-Inactive-Slot.jpg

Step 2 - Reboot and your device is now rooted !​

Unlock the Bootloader and Root the OnePlus 9 Pro

Step 1 – Enable OEM unlocking​

You need to enable OEM unlocking, which can be done by enabling the developer settings on your device. To do so, go to Settings > About phone and repeatedly tap Build number. Developer options will then be added to your system settings, where you can then enable OEM unlocking.

TMO-Unlock-1.png

Step 2 – Unlock your phone
    Set up adb, reboot into your bootloader, and run the following command. Yes, it’s really that simple!

"fastboot oem unlock"
    You can reboot into the bootloader by switching on USB debugging, setting up adb and fastboot and typing “adb reboot bootloader”. Alternatively, you can hold volume down and the power button to boot up your device. USB debugging is also located under the developer options.

OnePlus 7 Pro fastboot unlock bootloader

eNNFiSU.jpg

Unlocking the bootloader wipes your device :
    s3sUBwb.jpg

Step 3 - Booting temporarily root​

1. Connect your phone to your pc and boot it into fastboot mode. You can leave it connected throughout this guide.

2. First, enter the following command in the PowerShell/Terminal window to ensure that your PC can communicate with the phone over the fastboot interface.

"fastboot devices"
    OnePlus-8T-Rooting-fastboot-devices-command.jpg
    The command should return your phone’s unique ID. In case it doesn’t, then make sure that you have the required USB drivers installed and restart your PC. You can also use TOOL ALL IN ONE, not officially updated to Oneplus 9 Pro but once install go to Others options and go to Install drivers.

3. Code once in fastboot mode:
    "fastboot boot magisk_boot.img" (use the "magisk_boot.img" from the above zip file)
    Change to the exact name "magisk_boot.img" of the boot that has been patched in the above zip file
    "fastboot reboot"

OnePlus-8T-Rooting-Flash-Magisk-Patched-Boot-Image.jpg

You could flash this boot.img, but it's safer to temporarily boot from it without overwriting your existing image in case anything went wrong along the way. The effect is that you still get root access without modifying your device, and then you can use the much safer Magisk direct install option, which has some safeguards in place.

Step 4 - Install magisk​

Install the latest Magisk Canary apk on your phone. Open it and:

b. Use Direct Install (Recommended) to root your internal boot.img

Step 5 - Reboot and your device is now rooted !​

Keep Root and OTA updates

How to update OTA and KEEP ROOT
    It is advised to disable or even uninstall all magisk modules to be safe!
    How: go to Magisk application/modules/disable &/or uninstall

Option 1: With full OTA Access (BA/DA) :

Step 1 - Get & install the full OTA zip file​

1. Go to System-Update or update get the OTA using Oxygen Updater

2. Tap OK when the message that you are rooted appears

3. Tap "Download and install" or local update if OTA from Oxygen Updater

4. Wait until you are prompted to reboot - DO NOT REBOOT NOW!

OnePlus-8T-Install-OTA-After-Rooting.jpg

5. Open Magisk Manager

b. Use Install to inactive slot

OnePlus-8T-Reboot-Phone-After-Magisk-Installation.jpg

Step 2 - Reboot and enjoy your device still rooted with latest OTA installed !​

Option 2: with incremental OTA Access (AA) :

Step 1 - Get back your original boot image​

1. open the Magisk Manager application, select “Uninstall”, and choose the “Restore Images” option. Magisk will restore your phone’s stock boot image that was backed up during the rooting process.

OnePlus-8T-Restore-Images-Magisk-Manager.jpg

2. Now go to “Settings” → “System” → “System updates” and select “Download and Install Now” to install the OxygenOS OTA update on your rooted OnePlus 9 Pro

OnePlus-8T-Install-OTA-After-Rooting.jpg

3. Open Magisk Manager

b. Use Install to inactive slot

OnePlus-8T-Reboot-Phone-After-Magisk-Installation.jpg

Step 2 - Reboot and enjoy your device still rooted with latest OTA installed !​

Troubleshooting questions :​

Before reporting any trouble, follow the steps below in order to have GooglePlay certified, keep L1 Widevine & pass CTS :

Step 1 - Magisk Settings​

1. Once rooted, in Magisk setting, select MagiskHide and Systemless host

2. In MagiskHide select GMS, Netflix, Google Store & any application you may find sensitive to Magisk detection
    For Netflix, go to Settings, Appplications & select Netflix, uninstall updates & delete data. Install then the latest Netflix from apkmirror manually (like any other apk file)

Screenshot_20210519-212423.jpg

Hide everything under Google play services and store.:
    Screenshot_20210529-020855_2.jpg

3. Reboot

Step 2 - Clear caches​

Clear caches of Google Play Service & Play Store
    Go to Settings, Applications & select Google Play Service, delete data
    Go to Settings, Appplications & select Play Store, delete data

Step 3 - Clear cache from Recovery​

Reboot into Recovery and select wipe CACHE. Recovery boot to be activated from Settings/System/developpers options/advanced restart. Once in Recovery select WIPE & WIPE CACHE Only !

Phone Bricked ? :​

Five options (ranked from the easiest to tougher method):

Option 1 - Reboot to Safe mode & remove Magisk modules​

Option A : Safe Mode
    1. Hold power until it goes off
    2. Boot and wait for the bootloader warning
    3. Hold vol up and down until boot animation
    4. Once it's booted just reboot again and you're done
    Now on boot all magisk modules are disabled

Option B : thru adb command
    1. Code with phone connected with USB debugging on (from developpers options):
    "adb wait-for-device shell magisk --remove-modules"
    2. reboot

Option 2 - Get back the original boot.img​

If your device can go to fastboot mode:
    "fastboot flash Original_boot.img" (use the "Original_boot.img" from the above zip file)
    Change to the exact name "Original_boot.img" of the boot that has been posted in the above zip file
    "fastboot reboot"

Option 3 - Flash back full OTA file​

If you can still go to Settings:
    Flash back the OTA RUU full package and reboot

Option 4 - Change the active slot​

If your device can go to fastboot mode:
    "fastboot getvar current-slot"
    This will tell you what (corrupted) slot you are currently booting from (either a or b).

Then just change to the other slot with the following command:
    "fastboot --set-active=a"
    or
    "fastboot --set-active=b"
    Then reboot with the command:
    "fastboot reboot"

Option 5 - Wipe data in Recovery mode or fastboot command​

Option A : If your device can still go to Recovery mode (ie thru fastboot mode: "fastboot reboot recovery")
    From Recovery Wipe data and reboot

Option B :
    "fastboot- w"

Option 6 - MSM​

If none of the above works then go for MSM tool

Option 1 to 4 would normally not alter your personal data, applications and own set-up
    Option 5 & 6 will wipe your personal data and applications

Return your phone to unlock and unroot? :​

Option 1 : Original Boot & relock with fastboot command

Step 1 - Restore orignal boot.img​

Option A : Thru Magisk App
    Open Magisk App on your phone. You will see the Uninstall button in the app. Just click on Uninstall button.
    Then you need to click on Complete Uninstall. Your phone will be rebooted automatically.

Option B : Thru fastboot mode
    "fastboot reboot"
    Once booted, remove Magisk application

Option C : Flash the current or latest full OTA zip twice. Why twice, to ensure both slot have the latest update flashed with original boot.

Step 2 - Relock the bootloader​

1. Execute the following command to proceed for bootloader unlocking: "fastboot oem lock"

2. A verification window will appear on your mobile device asking to confirm the action. Just highlight “Relock Bootloader”using volume buttons and hit the power button to confirm.
    1621542183784.png

3. The phone will initialize to relock the bootloader. It will take some time to reboot after resetting the whole phone into a locked stage.

4. Your device is now locked again !

Option 2 : MSM Tool

MSM tool will relock your boaloader !​

Option 1 & 2 will wipe your personal data and applications

Do any process described at your own risk. None Xda none the author are responsible for your own choice to unlock & root your Device.
    OnePlus 9 Pro Oxygen OS 11.2.8.8.LE15 AA/ BA / DA

System

• Updated Android security patch to 2021.07
    • Fixed known issues and improved stability

Ambient Display
    • Newly added Bitmoji AOD, co-designed by Snapchat & Bitmoji, which will liven up the ambient display with your personal Bitmoji avatar. Your avatar will update throughout the day based on your activity and things happening around you ( Path: Settings - Customization - Clock on ambient display - Bitmoji )

OnePlus Store
    • An intuitive and convenient way to manage your OnePlus account, get easy-to-access support, discover exciting members-only benefits, and shop for OnePlus products. (Please note that it can be uninstalled)

US version (AA)
    European version (BA)
    Indian edition (DA)

OnePlus 9 Pro Oxygen OS 11.2.7.7.LE15 AA/ BA / DA

System
    • Reduced power consumption in specific scenarios
    Camera
    • Newly added HDR option in video recording interface(Path: Menu options in the upper right corner of the screen-Dynamic video)
    • Improved the shooting and recording experience

US version (AA)
    European version (BA)
    Indian edition (DA)

OnePlus 9 Pro Oxygen OS 11.2.6.6.LE15 AA/ BA / DA

System
    • Improved charging experience
    • Optimized power consumption
    Camera
    • Improved the hidden operation logic of the camera‘s top bar
    • Optimized the noise reduction and sharpening effect of the rear camera
    • Improved the focusing experience and brightness constancy in indoor scenes
    • Improved the accuracy of auto white balance of the rear camera
    Network
    • Improved network performance

US version (AA)
    • Not yet available
    European version (BA)
    Indian edition (DA)

OnePlus 9 Pro Oxygen OS 11.2.5.5.LE15 AA/ BA / DA

System
    • Improved charging performance
    • Fixed the small probability lagging issue of keyboard
    • Fixed known issues and improved system stability
    • Updated Android security patch to 2021.05
    Camera
    • Improved the HDR effect in some shooting scenes
    • Improved the white balance performance of the rear camera
    Network
    • Improved the stability of network communication
    • Improved the performance of Wi-Fi connection

US version (AA)
    • Not yet available
    European version (BA)
    Indian edition (DA)

OnePlus 9 Pro Oxygen OS 11.2.4.4.LE15 AA/ BA / DA

System
    • Improved charging stability
    • Improved the sensitivity of the keyboard in the edge area
    • Improved the temperature control strategy
    • Fixed the issue that the battery icon in the status bar is abnormally displayed
    • Fixed the small probability issue that Google Fi SIM card can not accept incoming calls
    • Fixed known issues and improved system stability
    • Updated Android security patch to 2021.04
    • Updated GMS package to 2021.03
    Camera
    • Improved the image purity and the ambiance performance
    • Improved the white balance consistency of the rear camera
    • Improved image over-sharpening of the rear camera

US version (AA)
    European version (BA)
    Indian edition (DA)
    Damn, nothing for Global yet eh...
    You can download the EU stock boot.img that's in this thread (2nd post), download the latest magisk canary manager and patch that boot.img. Then you can temporarily gain root by rebooting to bootloader and booting that image ex. "fastboot boot boot.img"( your boot.img name will vary after patching). After the phone boots you can just go into magisk manager and do a "direct install" and that will patch your global boot.img to gain permanent root.
    Hate to be that guy but: can someone provoide step by step guide including fastboot commands to get my EU 9pro rooted?
    Usually can figure this stuff out ok myself but have never tinkered a device without TWRP and not really that familiar with fastboot other than booting to TWRP and other very basic stuff?

1. Go in fastboot
    2. "fastboot oem unlock"
    2.5. Reboot device and set it up again (unlock clears data), and go back to fastboot
    3. "fastboot boot boot.img" where boot.img is a magisk patched boot image from this thread, this makes you boot with the patched image without actually flashing and overwriting yours
    4. Device will now boot with the boot.img, now open Magisk and do a direct install where it will patch your own boot.img
    5. Reboot and you should be done

If you are feeling lucky, you can just "fastboot flash boot boot.img" instead of doing 3, 4, and 5. (Don't actually do this you need your stock boot.img to take OTA)
    if you don't mind, what steps did you take? did you fastboot the magisk-patched boot image then use magisk to patch (direct install)? I have the US unlocked version

Use the global boot.img in post #24 if you are Global 11.2.1.1.LE15AA.

I’m using Magisk stable, but others also seem to have success with canary as well.

Download either of those on your phone, and put that boot.img on your bootloader unlocked device. Install Magisk on your device, and patch that boot.img.

Transfer that magisk_patched_xxxx.img file back to your PC in your platform tools folder.

Boot back into fastboot

adb reboot bootloader

and then run these following fastboot boot commands

fastboot boot magisk_patched.img

fastboot reboot

Go back into magisk, run install > direct install, then reboot that one last time.

You’re now rooted, and may or may not have safetynet passing, apparently due to OnePlus not having the Google Play certified yet? (see other threads on this) Basic integrity should now be passing once Magisk Hide is enabled, but CTS profile would not pass until I followed the steps from post #50, installing Magisk Hide Props and using 8 Pro Global fingerprint and rebooting.

Then I had to clear Netflix, Play Store, and Play Services cache/data, and reboot one final last time.

Safety net should finally pass for ya’ll!

Hope this helps! 😝