[GUIDE]MAKE APK'S ON YOUR PHONE-for kustom live w'paper app ONLY- inc playstore ready

Search This thread

Art Vanderlay

Retired Forum Moderator
Jan 2, 2014
Melbourne
Hey pug, I'm in a bit of a pickle maybe you can help me out. I make my icon using the google icon generator but it keeps coming out blurry and pixilated no matter what size I make it. It looks crisp in gimp but it doesn't come out well on the other end. Have you experienced this?

Attachments

• ic_launcher.png
    ic_launcher.png
    19.1 KB · Views: 359
Reactions: Pug123

MrHellRider

Dec 8, 2014
Mumbai
I'm new to this community can u give me the link to download Google icon generator because I want to make an icon for my klwp

Pug123

Inactive Recognized Themer
Jun 17, 2013
*ZION*
Hey pug, I'm in a bit of a pickle maybe you can help me out. I make my icon using the google icon generator but it keeps coming out blurry and pixilated no matter what size I make it. It looks crisp in gimp but it doesn't come out well on the other end. Have you experienced this?

No, sorry mate I havnt experienced your problem..
I always make my icon using photo editor usually quite big then resise it to 512x512 before using the asset editor...

Reactions: Art Vanderlay

Art Vanderlay

Retired Forum Moderator
Jan 2, 2014
Melbourne
No, sorry mate I havnt experienced your problem..
I always make my icon using photo editor usually quite big then resise it to 512x512 before using the asset editor...

Cool. It'll be live soon well just see how it turns out. Thanks.

---------- Post added at 01:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:18 AM ----------

Ok done! here's my first play store theme
Material Edge for KLWP
Thanks a lot Pug for making this happen!

dd12ja.png

xpq3d4.png

2ym9enp.png

play store link

plegdroid

Recognized Contributor
Sep 15, 2011
Manchester, UK
Afternoon Brian ,apktool or dev drawables? ☕?

ⓐⓝⓓⓡⓞⓒⓛⓓⓔ ⓘⓢ ⓝⓞⓣ ⓐ ⓢⓘⓝ

Last edited:

Pug123

Jun 17, 2013
*ZION*
Cool. It'll be live soon well just see how it turns out. Thanks.

---------- Post added at 01:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:18 AM ----------

Ok done! here's my first play store theme
Material Edge for KLWP
Thanks a lot Pug for making this happen!

dd12ja.png

xpq3d4.png

2ym9enp.png

play store link

Looks great , your very welcome & thanks for sharing link :good:

Reactions: Art Vanderlay

plegdroid

Recognized Contributor
Sep 15, 2011
Manchester, UK
Hiya Steve, yam ,still LP.

Yam dev-drawables don't work on lp,mm, last time I used it was with kk when I first setup my SRC . i dintnt consider that would not work on lp/mm ☕?

ⓐⓝⓓⓡⓞⓒⓛⓓⓔ ⓘⓢ ⓝⓞⓣ ⓐ ⓢⓘⓝ

phonefixguy

Nov 24, 2014
Bedford
No go on marshmallow

Here's the error I get when attempting decompiling or recompiling...
sh: data/data/per.pqy.apktool/apktool/apktool2.sh: No such file or directory.

Update: after going back to lollipop yesterday and installing everything over again, I had the same error, so this is not related to marshmallow like I thought. So today I got rid of my copy of apktool and downloaded again from the provided dropbox. After doing so the app updated, which my copy was not doing and was a step I had completely forgotten about. This was the issue and just wanted to let everyone know.

Last edited:

Pug123

Jun 17, 2013
*ZION*
Here's the error I get when attempting decompiling or recompiling...
sh: data/data/per.pqy.apktool/apktool/apktool2.sh: No such file or directory.

Update: after going back to lollipop yesterday and installing everything over again, I had the same error, so this is not related to marshmallow like I thought. So today I got rid of my copy of apktool and downloaded again from the provided dropbox. After doing so the app updated, which my copy was not doing and was a step I had completely forgotten about. This was the issue and just wanted to let everyone know.

Thanks for the feedback and I'm glad you got it sorted :):good:

LtriX

Jul 29, 2012
error

i created a component,
so far so good,
but if i try to Import this installed Component, i´ll get this error:

KLWP_Error_Import_Component.png

Pug123

Jun 17, 2013
*ZION*
i created a component,
so far so good,
but if i try to Import this installed Component, i´ll get this error:

KLWP_Error_Import_Component.png

Hmmm, not seen this before.... Are you sure you edited the strings/manifest xml's correctly
Also, I need to update the op, your komp files need to be renamed .zip (i.e... Taxi.komp.zip, obviously yours will be something other than taxi) at the end before putting them In the assets folder....

Reactions: clod007

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This tutorial is for lollipop & marshmallow rom users only !​

Works with or without Root !​
    For making apk's for kustom live wallpaper app only !​

The apk's should run on any ROM 4.4 upwards

Newbie Friendly !​

DISCLAIMER

I, in no way take responsibility for any damage you may cause to your phone by following this tutorial as ApKTOOL app is capable of accessing your system folders and thereby you changing or deleting something you shouldn't,
    That said the instructions I give do not use any system locations, so if you follow them properly you will be OK!

Welcome to my tutorial for making apk's for kustom live wallpaper ( klwp ) on your PHONE.

Please don't be put off by the length of the tutorial, its IMHO very easy to follow and I have tried to write it in such a way that anybody can follow and understand it and have an end result without too much head scratching.:fingers-crossed:;)

No major knowledge needed, just the skill of being able to navigate around your phone files and being able to follow instructions as is, and finally, the ability to revel in your own glory for making your first pc-less apk. :victory:

Top tip, (as if you didn't know this already;))
    Have this tutorial up on your PC whilst following it, no keep swapping between recents on your phone then.:good:

I would like to thank @plegdroid AKA Pete Nolan for introducing me too and walking me through the stages needed to use ApkTOOL :good:

If your making apk's for personal use to share from a cloud I.e. dropbox etc, you do not need to use zipsigner as the ApKTOOL app can sign for this kind of sharing.​

Apps and stuff you will need to download for this 'magic' to take place are...

ApkTOOL, download here (github link here).

Klwp sample apk, download here
    Komp sample apk, download here

Android asset studio (launcher icon generator) link here (bookmark this !)

Droid edit, play store link here

Zipsigner (only if you want to publish to play store), play store link here

Photo Editor (if you don't already have one), play store link here

!!Do not install ApKTOOL or klwp/komp sample apk's yet, please wait for instruction to tell you to do so!!​

Sounds like a lot to do, right?....
    Setting up everything up the first time takes a bit of time, But once you've done it, and got used to the fairly simple instructions, you'll be making apk's in MINUTES on your phone....

FYI.

I deleted and uninstalled all associated with this tutorial so that I could write the instructions as a person following this tutorial I.e. installing the apps first then writing the instructions step by step as I went through each stage, thereby hopefully getting them as clear and succinct as possible :good:

There is a thread for ApkTOOL here for kitkat, although it is a general thread as ApKTOOL can do much more than just make apk's for kustom, but please don't post on this thread about it as I don't use it on kitkat and only use it for kustom, so if this interest's you please post your queries there.:good:

Also as this is my first "proper" tutorial, I would really appreciate any feedback...
    How easy it was to follow.
    Any problems you had.
    Conformation that it worked for you
    Suggestions
    Etc.​

CREDITS

@plegdroid - for all your help(and contiued help):good:
    @rkucheran - for also helping out (and continued help):good:
    @Brut.all - original creator of ApkTOOL
    @iBotPeaches - current maintainer of ApkTOOL
    @frankmonza - for klwp app and sample apk's
    Roman Nurik - for android asset studio
    André Restivo - for droid edit
    Ken Ellinwood - for zipsigner
    Dev.macgyver - for photo editor
    @browcantor - for confirming, working without root .:victory::good:
    @TheKrates - for confirming working on marshmallow ROM :good:

If you find this tutorial helpful then please take the time out to subscribe and rate thread, oh and press thanks if you feel like it ;):good:​

Let's get started, move on to post 2.​
    Make personal apk's ultra fast!

Now everthings set up we can make personal apk's I.e to share via cloud (not play store) by just changing zips and XML's.

Using your file explorer for step 1.

1, You should already have a decompiled [highlight]klwp.sample_src[/highlight] folder in your Apktool folder as per suggestion at the end of post#4.
    Copy which kustom wallpaper you wish to apk next, from kustom/wallpaper folder. Navigate to [highlight]Apktool[/highlight] folder,open it then click on [highlight]klwp.sample_src[/highlight] folder, then [highlight]assets[/highlight], then click on [highlight]wallpapers [/highlight] and paste your copied wallpaper here, then [highlight]delete[/highlight] the previous wall (unless you wish to keep it in the apk)
    Exit file explorer.

2, Open [highlight]ApkTOOL[/highlight] app and navigate to [highlight]Apktool[/highlight] folder, open it and click on [highlight]klwp.sample_src[/highlight] folder and select [highlight]browse[/highlight], then click on [highlight]res[/highlight] then [highlight]values[/highlight] then click on [highlight]strings.xml[/highlight] and open with [highlight]droid edit[/highlight].

3, Edit the names you have previously used to your new name, only using upper/lower case letters and also spaces (as per highlighted pic)

Screenshot_2015-09-03-00-36-59_zpsw83m79un.png

Now press the little icon arrowed in post#4 and press [highlight]save[/highlight]. Exit [highlight]droid edit[/highlight] app.

4, Navigate back to [highlight]klwp.sample_src[/highlight] and select [highlight]AndroidManifest.xml[/highlight] and open with [highlight]droid edit[/highlight] app and edit to your new app name, only using lower case letters with no spaces (as per highlighted pic)

Screenshot_2015-09-03-21-15-47_zpsytseiat6.png

Again press the little icon arrowed in post#4 and press [highlight]save[/highlight]. Exit [highlight]droid edit[/highlight] app.

5, Open [highlight]ApkTOOL[/highlight] app and navigate to [highlight]Apktool[/highlight] folder and click on it. Then click on the [highlight]klwp.sample_src[/highlight] folder and select [highlight]recompile[/highlight] from the pop up list, and wait for a few seconds for it to recompile, and if you've done everything correctly you should get a pop up like this..

Screenshot_2015-09-03-21-49-58_zpstooerv5z.png

Press OK.

6, Now you should have an extra apk in your [highlight]Apktool[/highlight] folder called [highlight]klwp.sample_src.apk[/highlight], click on this and select [highlight]sign[/highlight] from the pop up list and click OK on the next pop up .

7, Now you will have another apk in your [highlight]Apktool[/highlight] folder called [highlight]klwp.sample_src_sign.apk[/highlight], long press on it and select [highlight]rename[/highlight], then rename it to your new app name.
    You now have your new apk ready for sharing via your favorite cloud etc.
    Delete the [highlight]klwp.sample_src.apk[/highlight] now as its no longer needed.

So to summarize your ultra fast apk build
    Transfer new klwp zip/s
    Edit strings.xml
    Edit AndroidManifest.xml
    Sign
    Rename
    Done :victory:
    Installing ApKTOOL
    And getting things ready​

Using your file explorer for steps 1, 2 and 3..

1, Make a folder on your sd card (internal memory, not on micro SD) and call it [highlight]Apktool[/highlight].

2, Move [highlight]ApKTOOL.apk[/highlight] to the folder you just created and install [highlight]ApKTOOL.apk[/highlight], (If you can't install the ApKTOOL.apk, then goto your phone settings select security then check allow unknown sources, then install ApKTOOL.apk again.) when its finished installing press open, it will then ask you to install an update, install the update and when its finished press done.

3, Also move [highlight]klwp.sample.apk[/highlight] and [highlight]komp.sample.apk[/highlight] to the Apktool folder you created in step 1, [highlight]BUT DO NOT INSTALL THEM[/highlight].

4, Go into your app drawer and open [highlight]ApKTOOL[/highlight] app.
    (If you are rooted open the three dot menu top right of the screen, press settings, scroll to the bottom and check the root option, there's no need to really do this, I do just because I can :laugh:)

5, Navigate to [highlight]sdcard[/highlight] then the [highlight]Apktool[/highlight] folder you made earlier,select it, now your screen should now look like this...

Screenshot_2015-08-18-21-53-20_zpsbtq3yeb7.png

6, Click on the [highlight]klwp.sample.apk[/highlight] and pick [highlight]decompile resources[/highlight], leave it to do its thing for some moments (sometimes up to 40 seconds), once complete you should get this on your screen...

Screenshot_2015-08-18-22-03-39_zps9mjgeja0.png

Press OK.

7, Your Apktool folder should now have the decompiled apk called [highlight]klwp.sample_src[/highlight] in it and should look like this...

Screenshot_2015-08-18-22-09-21_zpsjqppps2n.png

Now thats all set up, lets move onto next post​
    Making your apk play store ready.

1, Using [highlight]ApKTOOL[/highlight] app, navigate to your [highlight]Apktool[/highlight] folder, click on it then select [highlight]klwp.sample_src.apk[/highlight] then from the menu list select [highlight]zipalign[/highlight]. You should get a pop up like this.

Screenshot_2015-08-20-19-47-14_zpsfj4g0ddq.png

Click OK.

You should now have a [highlight]klwp.sample_src_zipalign.apk[/highlight] in your [highlight] Apktool[/highlight] folder, as below..

Screenshot_2015-08-20-19-49-18_zps3ezige34.png

Exit [highlight]ApKTOOL[/highlight] app.

2, Open [highlight]zipsigner[/highlight] app from your app drawer, press the 3dot menu on top right of screen, select [highlight]my keys[/highlight] from the menu list then press the 3dot menu again and select [highlight]new keystore[/highlight] scroll to the bottom of the new page and click [highlight]continue[/highlight] and fill in the form like so..

Screenshot_2015-08-20-20-14-02_zps4sdyabli.png

Note.You can change the directory if you want but I use my internal storage (sdcard0) then after I have finished all the steps to register my keystore I find the keystore file on my sdcard0 and copy it to my sdcard1 (external storage/micro sd card) as a backup.
    Click [highlight]continue[/highlight] then fill out the next page like so..

Screenshot_2015-08-20-20-15-23_zpseemgrnxc.png

Obviously I have blacked out my key name/alias, it is 'cert' by default but you can change it if you like and for the key/verify passwords make sure you use the same one that you entered on the previous page, don't change anything else on this page unless you understand what it means. Press [highlight]continue[/highlight].
    On the next page leave the defaults as they are (unless you know what your doing) and fill out the form as per the instructions (I just put my name and country code I.e.GB (GreatBritain). Close [highlight]zipsigner[/highlight] app.

3, Now we can sign your new apk...
    Open [highlight]zipsigner[/highlight] app again, and press underneath the [highlight]key/mode[/highlight] option which will bring up a menu and amongst the options will be either [highlight]cert[/highlight] (if you didn't change your key name/alias) or your new key [highlight]name/alias[/highlight] (you may have to scroll the menu to find it. Then select it.
    Next click [highlight]choose in/out[/highlight] this will bring up a page of folders select [highlight]Apktool/[/highlight] then select [highlight]klwp.sample_src_zipalign.apk[/highlight], your screen should now look something like this..

Screenshot_2015-08-20-21-19-30_zps2fjrrtsn.png

(I have blacked out the key/mode as its my alias ;) and you may not have the word 'emulated' in your file names that's just a quirk of my old galaxy s3 i9300 I think :))
    Click [highlight]sign the file[/highlight], you will then get a pop up screen asking you to enter your keystore password, enter it and press OK. You should then get a toast message saying [highlight]file signing operation succeeded![/highlight]

Note...
    For future apk's that you make you now have you keystore and can skip steps 1 and 2. :good:

4, last bit ......
    Open [highlight]ApKTOOL[/highlight] app from your app drawer and navigate to your [highlight]Apktool[/highlight] folder and open it, you should now have an apk called [highlight]klwp.sample_src_zipalign_signed.apk[/highlight], like so...

Screenshot_2015-08-20-21-36-25_zpsncvj8zbh.png

Long press on the [highlight]klwp.sample_src_zipalign_signed.apk[/highlight] and select rename from the menu, then rename it the name of your apk remembering to leave the [highlight].apk[/highlight] on the end (and you can delete the other stage apk's now if you want, just long press on them and select [highlight]delete[/highlight])
    like so...

Screenshot_2015-08-20-21-50-40_zpswhmq1mqc.png

[highlight] Your APK is now ready to publish to the Play Store.[/highlight]

Screenshot_2015-08-20-22-02-12_zpsy7jezkrn.png

[highlight]Voilà [/highlight]

Suggestion...
    If you are planning to update your play store app then leave the finished apk in the [highlight]Apktool[/highlight] folder for ease of update (copy it somewhere else for backup if you want, though).

Important notice
    If you are publishing to the play store and you are using other people's klwp or komponent ,as is or altered,
    Please ask for thier consent first ....
    Especially if you are publishing it as a PAID app.
    Building your APK

[highlight] Due to changes in the way that klwp saves your wallpapers or komponent you now need to rename your klwp/komp file with a .zip at the end either before or when you place them in the assets folder [/highlight]

Use your file explorer for step 1

1, Decide which [highlight]klwp zip/s[/highlight] (yes you can add more than one) you want to make into an apk, you can find these in your kustom/wallpaper folder, copy the one/s you want and navigate back to your [highlight]Apktool[/highlight] folder and select it, then click on [highlight]klwp.sample_src[/highlight] and then select the [highlight]assets[/highlight] folder, then select [highlight]wallpapers[/highlight] folder , paste the [highlight]klwp zip/s[/highlight] you copied here, (you will see a [highlight]read me[/highlight] file here also, it just tells you to put your wallpaper zips in this folder, [highlight]delete[/highlight] it), exit your file explorer.

2, Open [highlight]ApKTOOL[/highlight] app from your app drawer and navigate to [highlight]Apktool[/highlight] folder and click on it then click on [highlight]klwp.sample_src[/highlight] folder select [highlight]browse[/highlight]
    your screen should now look like this.

Screenshot_2015-08-18-22-49-14_zpshmhu7ay6.png

3, Just to check you zip is in there click on [highlight] assets[/highlight], then click on [highlight]wallpapers[/highlight]
    And your screen should look like this, with one or more zips (obviously your zip name will be different)

Screenshot_2015-08-25-22-37-07_zpsxgmxuvsl.png

4, Navigate back to your [highlight]klwp.sample_src[/highlight] folder, then select [highlight]res[/highlight] folder then click on [highlight]values[/highlight] folder then click [highlight]strings.xml[/highlight], you will then be prompted to open with, pick the [highlight]droid edit[/highlight] app you downloaded from post#1.
    Your screen should now look like this.

Screenshot_2015-08-19-22-38-50_zpsk7hmcgtq.png

On this screen only edit (with your app name and description )what is written in WHITE, Using only text and numbers you may also use capital letters and spaces...like so..

Screenshot_2015-08-19-22-52-14_zpscqnvvpg3.png

If you delete anything else by accident, unless you know what your doing I suggest you exit droid editor and start from step 4 again.
    Once edited press the little icon I've arrowed on the left of the option ribbon.

Screenshot_2015-08-19-22-52-14_zpsofys3lui.png

And press [highlight]save[/highlight]

5, Navigate back to your [highlight]klwp.sample_src[/highlight] folder, then click on [highlight]AndroidManifest.XML[/highlight], again you will receive a promt and again open with [highlight]droid edit[/highlight] and edit (with your app name ) ONLY what I've highlighted in next pic.Use lowercase text only and no spaces.

Screenshot_2015-08-19-23-14-58_zpsudzt1mcb.png

So it looks like this

Screenshot_2015-08-19-23-56-37_zpsj3gvcqaq.png

Click on the little icon I arrowed earlier and press [highlight]save[/highlight]

6, Navigate back to your [highlight]Apktool[/highlight] folder and click on [highlight]klwp.sample_src[/highlight] folder, select [highlight]recompile[/highlight] if you have done everything correctly you should get a pop up that looks like this..:fingers-crossed:

Screenshot_2015-08-20-00-10-33_zpsb7gojcd3.png

Click OK.

7, you should now have an extra apk in your [highlight]Apktool[/highlight] folder called [highlight]klwp.sample_src.apk[/highlight] with ( if you have made one) your own launcher icon..

Screenshot_2015-08-20-00-13-10_zps8qweynbn.png

Click on your new [highlight]klwp.sample_src.apk[/highlight] and pick [highlight]sign[/highlight] you should then get a pop up like this..

Screenshot_2015-08-20-00-13-31_zpsutlphyct.png

Press OK

Then you will notice another apk in your [highlight]Apktool[/highlight] folder called [highlight]klwp.sample_src_sign.apk[/highlight] if you long press on this apk and select [highlight]rename[/highlight] you can then name it the name of your app but don't forget to leave the [highlight].apk[/highlight] on the end..(if you are using the apk for the play store, don't rename it yet this will happen in following posts). Like so..

Screenshot_2015-08-20-00-52-22_zpswhzynvs2.png

if you want to go onto the next stage and make the apk play store ready, then keep the [highlight]klwp.sample_src.apk[/highlight] otherwise you can delete it.

8, you can now test your newly built apk by installing it, either by clicking on it now and selecting [highlight] install[/highlight] or installing it the usual way you install apk's, its also ready for you to share via your favorite cloud etc..

Note....
    To make a komponent/s apk follow the same instructions from post#2 step 6 but instead use the [highlight]komp.sample.apk[/highlight]. (But obviously copy your komponent zip/s into the komponent folder in post#4 'building your apk, step 1.

Suggestions...
    Do not delete the decompiled [highlight] klwp.sample_src[/highlight] folder as this can be used for making ultra fast apk's as detailed in post#7.

If you are planning to update your app then leave the finished apk in the [highlight]Apktool[/highlight] folder for ease of update (copy it somewhere else for backup if you want, though).