• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

[GUIDE] Making Xperia S Themes(or ROMs maybe) work on Acro S w/ EXT SD CARD support

Search This thread

ItBankRock

Jan 14, 2012
Lipa City
Hello guys so recently I've been wondering why Xperia S mods don't work on our Acro S, some guys said that there's a file inside framework-res.apk that makes it not to work or to be detected by the phone even in your pc when you connect it.

So I tried to look for files inside the .apk, after searching I found out that the file storage_list.xml inside /res/xml folder that contains the following words /mnt/ext_card and I compared it to the file inside the Xperia S mod and it doesn't contain it... so what I did is to replace the storage_list.xml of the Xperia S mod to the stock Acro S storage_list.xml

I flashed the Xperia S mod, fingers crossed, booted up successfully, recieved an sd card error message, I ignored it, I opened up Album app, switch to by folder

view, and... BAM! IT WORKED! IT DETECTED MY EXTERNAL SD CARD! I OPENED CAMERA, FILMS, OTHER APPS AND IT WORKED! I connected it to my pc and it worked! See screenshots below for some proofs

Here's the step by step tut:

REMINDER: MAKE CWM BACKUP FIRST BEFORE DOING SUCH THINGS!

1. Grab an Xperia S theme/mod/ROM

2. Extract framework-res.apk from that mod {can be found at /system/framework}

3. Open the .apk file with WinRAR/WinZip or any extraction tool

4. Go to /res/xml folder and replace the storage_list.xml in that folder with THIS

5. Save changes, replace the framework-res.apk on the Xperia S mod with the ones you modified

6. Copy it to ur internal sd card, FLASH IT, BAM! See how the magic works!

Press the thanks button if it worked for ya! Please test it on Stock based Custom ROMs for Xperia S too. But if you're on unlocked bootloader, flashing an Xperia S kernel will make the external sd card not to work, i don't know, just try if you want...

IT'S NOT MY FAULT IF YOUR DEVICE WILL BE BRICKED

Screenshots (I was using AOSP theme inspired for Xperia S by skifyr123 here):

These were resized to avoid long post

1proof.jpg

5proof.jpg

2proof.jpg

3proof.jpg

4proof.jpg

Proof15.jpg

Last edited:

deedwar

Aug 26, 2008
Bendigo
goo.im
That is pretty cool i didnt realise that you could just use winrar to open a APK file i have always used APKTOOL. I guess if anyone that has read my guide is reading this thread that can modify that part and it would be a whole lot easier. Good job.

Feel free to go and take a quick look at my post in my PAC thread if you want and chuck the details on how to do the whole ROM in here, will help people find the details a whole lot easier.

EDIT: Still suffers from the framework problem where you will get system_ui crashes so will have to use my second process just saves you going to command prompt and using APKTOOL.

Last edited:
Reactions: Androidians

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello guys so recently I've been wondering why Xperia S mods don't work on our Acro S, some guys said that there's a file inside framework-res.apk that makes it not to work or to be detected by the phone even in your pc when you connect it.

So I tried to look for files inside the .apk, after searching I found out that the file storage_list.xml inside /res/xml folder that contains the following words /mnt/ext_card and I compared it to the file inside the Xperia S mod and it doesn't contain it... so what I did is to replace the storage_list.xml of the Xperia S mod to the stock Acro S storage_list.xml

I flashed the Xperia S mod, fingers crossed, booted up successfully, recieved an sd card error message, I ignored it, I opened up Album app, switch to by folder

view, and... BAM! IT WORKED! IT DETECTED MY EXTERNAL SD CARD! I OPENED CAMERA, FILMS, OTHER APPS AND IT WORKED! I connected it to my pc and it worked! See screenshots below for some proofs

Here's the step by step tut:

REMINDER: MAKE CWM BACKUP FIRST BEFORE DOING SUCH THINGS!

1. Grab an Xperia S theme/mod/ROM

2. Extract framework-res.apk from that mod {can be found at /system/framework}

3. Open the .apk file with WinRAR/WinZip or any extraction tool

4. Go to /res/xml folder and replace the storage_list.xml in that folder with THIS

5. Save changes, replace the framework-res.apk on the Xperia S mod with the ones you modified

6. Copy it to ur internal sd card, FLASH IT, BAM! See how the magic works!

Press the thanks button if it worked for ya! Please test it on Stock based Custom ROMs for Xperia S too. But if you're on unlocked bootloader, flashing an Xperia S kernel will make the external sd card not to work, i don't know, just try if you want...

IT'S NOT MY FAULT IF YOUR DEVICE WILL BE BRICKED

Screenshots (I was using AOSP theme inspired for Xperia S by skifyr123 here):

These were resized to avoid long post

1proof.jpg

5proof.jpg

2proof.jpg

3proof.jpg

4proof.jpg

Proof15.jpg
    That is pretty cool i didnt realise that you could just use winrar to open a APK file i have always used APKTOOL. I guess if anyone that has read my guide is reading this thread that can modify that part and it would be a whole lot easier. Good job.

Feel free to go and take a quick look at my post in my PAC thread if you want and chuck the details on how to do the whole ROM in here, will help people find the details a whole lot easier.

EDIT: Still suffers from the framework problem where you will get system_ui crashes so will have to use my second process just saves you going to command prompt and using APKTOOL.