[GUIDE][MEDIATEK] How To Port 5.x.x LP and 6.x.x MM Based ROMs for MTK Kitkat Devices

Search This thread

senseijtitus

Oct 17, 2015
Kochin
OnePlus 11
You can try but I think it won't work,also the Coolpad Note 3 Plus has a fingerprint scanner and Coolpad Note 3 doesn't.
As I said you can try,just make sure you make a backup of your current ROM before going further.
There is no chance of a hard brick.

Both have fingerprint scanner and all the other hardware components are the same. Ive checked the hardware component specifics of both devices and they are exactly the same. Except the screen.

D

Dinkec27

Both have fingerprint scanner and all the other hardware components are the same. Ive checked the hardware component specifics of both devices and they are exactly the same. Except the screen.

Oh sorry,my mistake didn't recognize the fingerprint scanner on the back
You should be able to port it,just again make sure you make a backup in case something goes wrong

senseijtitus

Oct 17, 2015
Kochin
OnePlus 11
Oh sorry,my mistake didn't recognize the fingerprint scanner on the back
You should be able to port it,just again make sure you make a backup in case something goes wrong

As far as I can tell, the only way to make the rom work in my device is to change or mod the Display related settings or files or scripts in the rom to be able to take Full HD display rather than HD.

But I don't know where I can find these. I can change the DPI Value from 265 to 450 or 480 which is my devices DPI value on its current rom. But will this make any change?

It would also help if any one could point me to the correct files or script path where I can find the details of the supposretd display scripted into the Boot image and Kernel.

hanaphy

Aug 2, 2016
How To fix microphone?

I have installed CM12.1 BETA4 ON my phone mt6572 but the microphone wont working.it say cant connect to microphone. How to fix it.

Thanks ;)

Dinesh6252

Apr 3, 2016
New Delhi
i have successfully ported a mt6582 based rom to a CM13 fully functional rom but my problem is that the Format as internal option is not working in the Rom and always results in a corrupt SD card then i have to format again it as portable storage in CM13 rom........Else everything is working fine.....I want this option because my Device has very low internal storage and i want to move apps to sd card......Can someone help me plz......

DonMLobo

Jun 26, 2013
Skopje
guys can someone explain me how to get the boot.img file? I've tried from ftf, extracted .sin got the .elf renamed to boot.img and it is kinda corupted it cannot be unpacked. please tell me how to get this file i really want to port this to Xperia E4. Please?

poran123

Aug 12, 2012
Shillong
after porting rom from redmi note 2 in my letv le1s camera is upside down and no option for front camera.... (note: i can click photos but they are up side down)

Djpunter

Apr 2, 2016
Natal
Hello I'm looking for information about porting 1 rom from another device with kernel 3.4.X to my device kernel 3.10.X.
If this is possible what would be the correct procedure? Unfortunately I'm not a programmer.
I unfortunately only have Stock 3.10.54 (LL Stock ) and 3.10.72 (MM stock) MT6582 and would like to have other wonderful roms have here in the forum. I read many topics and found nothing on the subject.
Thank you all and sorry if I disturbed the topic with this subject.

Ps. Sry my bad ENG i not American xD

Last edited:

jammin20

Apr 26, 2011
What to do if YouTube or any other game isn't working?

If games dont work especially the hd games Its best to just change rom to a different custom rom that as these bugs fixed. As for the youtube problem try an older version of youtube (google it). Good luck.

Before accepting any rom for your daily driver be sure to test if EVERYTHING is working.

wifi - even if it turns on test to see if it connects to a router and the internet works

bluetooth - even if it turns on check to see if it pairs with another device

call - make a few calls check your credit balance

games - download a few games from the playstore to see if they run on your phone

You dont want to be on a rom for a few weeks and then suddenly realise that somethings dont work properly.

THERE IS NO PERFECT CUSTOM ROM FOR EVERY DEVICE THERE WILL BE BUGS (HEADACHES). IF YOU ARE NOT UP FOR THE CHALLENGE STAY ON YOUR STOCK ROM OR BUY A MODEL THAT IS SUPPORTED BY THE WIDER COMMUNITY.

ALWAYS MAKE A BACKUP OF YOUR STOCK ROM JUST IN CASE.

Reactions: kirito9

Chaos Storm

May 20, 2010
Delta
I recently started to port a ROM for the MTK6735. One important detail is that with these new MediaTek SOC's many are 64 Bit. But, Android can be 32 Bit or 64 Bit, as restricted by the phone manufacturer.

So if you are porting one of the new 64 Bit Capable SOC's you need both a Stock ROM and Port ROM that are the same bit. You can't port a 64 Bit Stock ROM to a 32 Bit Port ROM. Whatever "bit" your Stock uses, you have to find another ROM for the same SOC that is the same bit.

nbrockz

Sep 18, 2016
Mumbai
Followed this guide having issue with softkeys

Hey,
Having issue with softkeys and power,volume keys. They aren't responding. However it boots. So thanks :D
(Copied keylayout and keychars from /usr. Even ueventd.cr from boot. No luck)

Also, non related, if anyones michfoods PACK bat file doesnt work, your permissions on rmdisk file is denied.
Right click > properties > security tab > advanced > change perm > delete the 'deny' > ok > try again

LowTension

Recognized Developer
Jan 27, 2014
Narnia
Xiaomi Mi 8
Xiaomi Poco F3
Hey,
Having issue with softkeys and power,volume keys. They aren't responding. However it boots. So thanks :D
(Copied keylayout and keychars from /usr. Even ueventd.cr from boot. No luck)

Also, non related, if anyones michfoods PACK bat file doesnt work, your permissions on rmdisk file is denied.
Right click > properties > security tab > advanced > change perm > delete the 'deny' > ok > try again
Try don't touch the usr folder from your port rom.

nbrockz

Sep 18, 2016
Mumbai
Last issue

Try don't touch the usr folder from your port rom.
Okay I fixed the other issues except one.
Bluetooth works but after copying permissions.
However, bt audio doesnt work on speakers and so on. Tried multiple roms.

And my magnetometer gives bad raw data towards one axis. Maybe that can be fixed by doing a calibration.

Any suggestions?

joydcost

Dec 3, 2016
Can we port Gionee P7 Max Rom to Infocus M530

By this method can we port Can we port Gionee P7 Max Rom to Infocus M530 as both smartphones have same SOc MTK6595.

The difference is that Gionee p7 Max rom have Android 6 with VOLTE while Infocus M530 is still on Android Kitkat and no VOLTE support.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Fx7clax.jpg

How To Port Lollipop and Marshmallow Based ROMs for MTK Kitkat Devices

Only For Mediatek SOCs

This guide applies to same chipsets:

Example:
    MT6592 to MT6592
    MT6572 to MT6572
    MT6582 to MT6582

And works also for different SOC with same GPU

Before starting this tutorial, please make a backup of your ROM
    I am not responsible for any damage to your device, this guide is for expert users.

You Need:

- Winrar, 7-Zip or similar
    - Notepad++
    - Tool for unpack/repack MTK boot.imgs
    - Your Stock KitKat ROM
    - One Lollipop/Marshmallow ROM for port
    - Brain :p

Step 1.- Unzip the Lollipop or Marsmallow ROM you want to port and also the Stock ROM. Rename the Lollipop/Marshmallow ROM folder to Port ROM

Step 2.- Delete this files or folders in Port ROM folder and replace with your files from Stock ROM:

Code:
    -[B][SIZE="2"]system/etc/firmware  <-- Folder
    -system/usr/keylayout/Generic.kl  <-- File(if you  have issues with softkeys and power,volume keys after replacing this file, try don't touch the original [COLOR="Blue"]usr[/COLOR] folder in port ROM. [URL="https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=70381044&postcount=457"]See here[/URL][/SIZE][/B]

Step 3.-Open system/lib/hw folder in Stock ROM folder, then select & copy all files and paste to inside the system/lib/hw folder in Port ROM replacing files.

Note: if you porting a ROM from a different SOC, delete this files before in port rom, like this: audio.primary.mt65xx.so, audio_policy.mt65xx.so, gralloc.mt65xx.so, hwcomposer.mt65xx.so, ligths.mt65xx.so, sensors.mt65xx.so etc.

Step 4.-Rename your stock kitkat boot.img to stockboot.img and the boot.img from Port ROM folder to portboot.img. Now unpack the boot.imgs, use the kernel 3.4.67(zImage)from your decompiled stockboot.img and the ramdisk folder from decompiled portboot.img, recompile it and put this new boot.img in Port ROM folder. Read my post #144.

Step 5.- Open the updater-script in META-INF from port rom, open it with Netepad++. Edit the format &mount points(compare with your updater-script from stock META-INF)

Example:
    Code:
    format("ext4", "EMMC", "/dev/block/mmcblk0p[COLOR="Red"]5[/COLOR]", "0", "/system");
    format("ext4", "EMMC", "/dev/block/mmcblk0p[COLOR="Red"]7[/COLOR]", "0", "/data");
    mount("ext4", "EMMC", "/dev/block/mmcblk0p[COLOR="Red"]5[/COLOR]", "/system");

Step 6.- Zip the Port ROM folder and flash it in recovery mode and enjoy.:highfive:​

Press the "Thanks" button if this guide has been useful for you
    Fixing Bugs

No audio in loudspeaker?

Replace libaudio.primary.default.so from stock ROM to Port

Storage Bug

Decompile the framework-res.apk, go to res/xm/storage_list.xml and edit it like the storage_list.xml from framework-res.apk of your Kitkat ROM, also edit the fstab.mt65xx in boot.img(compare with the fstab.mt65xx of your kitkat boot.img)

Sdcard not work or internal storage?

Replace:

system/bin/sdcard and system/bin/vold

Bluetooth

Replace libbluetooth_mtk.so and libbluetoothem_mtk.so from stock ROM to port.

Sensors

Replace libsensors.so file from stock ROM to port.

Wifi

Replace libwifi-service.so from stock ROM to port

Camera

all files that start with libcam....so

For mt6572 replacing this:

system/lib/libimageio.so
    system/lib/libcameradrv.so

coming soon more :p
    2 tools you give me cannot unpack boot. the tool which i had used is ok but stuck on logo screen if i change kernel and edit fstab. if i use stock boot, my device bootloop.
    what can i do?

Use Carliv Kitchen Image or Michfood's tool

In michfood's tool, put the stockboot.img and portboot.img. Drag and drop the mtk boot.img to unpack...
    iF2fU0D.png

Open in two side by side windows the stockboot folder and portboot folder, then select kernel and kernel_header from stockboot folder and drag them over the portboot folder kernel and kernel_header replacing both.
    r6w3dsB.png

Drag and drop portboot folder to MTK_Pack and put the new boot.img to portrom folder.
    2Aimdyl.png

In carliv's tool, put the stockbot.img and portboot.img to boot-resources folder
    CoLwy8t.png

Now, execute this tool and unpack the stockboot.img fist and portboot.img after...
    vwR0c8m.png
    jV2Uy5F.png

Then, open the stockport folder and portboot folder in two windows...
    pwktFVn.png

Delete all files inside portrom folder except ramdisk folder
    eVqPOJm.png

Then copy all files except the ramdisk folder from stockboot folder and paste to inside the portboot folder
    AyWCx1I.png

Now, repack the portboot folder and put the new boot.img from output folder to portrom folder(rename to boot)
    YYUWeMC.png
    Msj2rWw.png
    @Gravemind2015
    I believe that someone has ported successfully with MT6592
    Sounds interesting, what about Lollipop to Lollipop? example My device already is Lollipop 5, port to 5.1 or CM 12.1
    If you want to port the same version of Lollipop you need to delete and replace
    -system/etc/firmware
    -system/lib/egl
    -system/lib/hw
    -system/usr/keylayout/Generic.kl
    -system/vendor

and also the port boot.img with your stock lollipop boot.img and make changes in mount points of the updater-script. For porting Lollipop 5.1.1 or CM12.1 to your device running lollipop 5.0, you need decompile your boot.img and the boot.img from lollipop 5.1.1. Use the zImage from your stock boot.img and the ramdisk from the boot.img of lollipop 5.1.1 or CM12.1 ROM and follow the steps 2, 3 and 4 of this guide(not forgetting to make changes in mount points of the updater-script)