• Yes

Votes: 23 79.3%
  • No

Votes: 6 20.7%

• Total voters
Search This thread

malek_anas_97

Nov 24, 2013
Please help me, how enter to twrp recovery on Mi8 Lite ? I try all buttons combinations and nothing.

turn off your phone completely
press and hold Volume up + Power
keep them pressed until xiaomi logo comes up for the first time and don't release untill it shuts down and restarts
after it shows up again and you're still holding the buttons you should be at recovery

if all of that didn't work for some reason you can just boot to recovery from ADB
connect your phone with usb debugging enabled and type "adb reboot recovery" and it should boot into recovery

Marek89

Mar 13, 2012
i turn off phone, press and hold VOL up + power, still hold, first xiaomi logo with unlocked info, shutdown adn restart, still hold buttons and nothing do, phone restart still. ADB reboot is not comfortable, boot into recowery without pc some times need.

malek_anas_97

Nov 24, 2013
i turn off phone, press and hold VOL up + power, still hold, first xiaomi logo with unlocked info, shutdown adn restart, still hold buttons and nothing do, phone restart still. ADB reboot is not comfortable, boot into recowery without pc some times need.

does it work with adb?
if it doesn't work even with adb and reboots again then maybe you have a corrupted recovery or something I'm not sure

c0rp1

Nov 18, 2009
So I did everything correctly, installed Magisk v18.1 (which is the latest) - it all installed correctly without errors in TWRP, but after the phone rebooted itself, there's no Magisk app on the screen... any idea why that is?

malek_anas_97

Nov 24, 2013
So I did everything correctly, installed Magisk v18.1 (which is the latest) - it all installed correctly without errors in TWRP, but after the phone rebooted itself, there's no Magisk app on the screen... any idea why that is?

did you swipe to allow modifications when you got the prompt the first time you booted twrp?
also did you try reflashing magisk? try older versions too
i did some searches online and i saw other people having the same issue when it gets installed but doesn't show up
weird :"/
take a look
https://github.com/topjohnwu/Magisk/issues/591

c0rp1

Nov 18, 2009
did you swipe to allow modifications when you got the prompt the first time you booted twrp?
also did you try reflashing magisk? try older versions too
i did some searches online and i saw other people having the same issue when it gets installed but doesn't show up
weird :"/
take a look
https://github.com/topjohnwu/Magisk/issues/591

Thanks for the reply. Tried to edit my original post, but am getting constant errors.

Problem was with the Magisk version - tried with a previous one and it worked perfectly fine.

Reactions: malek_anas_97

lexridge

May 19, 2011
I have been trying to just get TWRP installed for hours. It goes thru the motions, but when I reboot to recovery, it is always stock recovery. I have tried numerous times using "fastboot flash recovery recovery-TWRP-3.2.3-1003-XIAOMI8LITE-CN-wzsx150.img". It seems like it is not flashing. I can use the "fastboot boot recovery-TWRP-3.2.3-1003-XIAOMI8LITE-CN-wzsx150.img" and it boots to TWRP, but not actually installs it apparently. Just boots to the sent image. I tried installing Magisk this way too. It installed, as my installed SuperSU claims there is already a binary in place, but I have not root or recovery. Any ideas?

Yes, I am completely unlocked. It says unlocked on boot every time now since a successful unlock procedure.

EDIT: Please Disregard. Turns out I had reset my device and failed to turn Developer Options back on and therefore USB Debugging as well. Opps! :D

Last edited:

lexridge

May 19, 2011

This is exactly the same issue I was having, until I realized after I had done a reset I did not tap the Settings "About Phone/MIUI version" 5 times to re-enable "Developer options". Duh!

Make sure you have done this. Then turn on USB Debugging from the "Additional Settings/Developer Options/USB Debugging". Without doing this, TWRP will not actually flash to your phone, nor will anything else.

sildinei

Nov 14, 2018
Disclaimer :
Code:
 * I'm not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards, thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed
* YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you :D

with that out the way and without bothering you with more useless things to read
let's get started shall we?
==== Notes ====
you should have already unlocked your bootloader (if not then start the process as soon as possible because it's going to take a while)
backup your stuff, make sure you have sufficient charge just in case anything goes wrong
download the unoffical TWRP port from Here
get the latest magisk from Here
install device usb drivers
set up fastboot properly

1- shutdown your device completely
2- boot into fastboot mode by pressing and holding the power button + volume down button until you see xiaomi's mi bunny with a blue "fastboot" text underneath it
3- connect your device via your usb cable
4- on your pc check if you have fastboot configured properly and your device recognized by typing
Code:
fastboot devices
if it's detected then you're good to proceed to the next step.
5- flash the twrp recovery image by using the usual fastboot commands
Code:
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
in our case it should be something like
Code:
fastboot flash recovery recovery-TWRP-3.2.3-1003-XIAOMI8LITE-CN-wzsx150.img
6- i tried using "fastboot reboot recovery" command to reboot to recovery but it did nothing
so i used this command instead
Code:
fastboot boot recovery-TWRP-3.2.3-1003-XIAOMI8LITE-CN-wzsx150.img
7- if you rebooted successfully, you should be at TWRP splash screen
you will be greeted with a slider slide it and continue
when i first booted into twrp it was in chinese so i used my nexus 5 twrp as a guide to change the language xD
press the third entry down on the right to open the settings, press the last tab on the right with the globe icon and choose english then
press "set language".
8- back to the main menu of TWRP, go to "Install"
choose the magisk zip file you downloaded and flash it, when done reboot the device.
9- congratulations friend, you're now rooted and have TWRP as your recovery :D

Happy Flashing :highfive:

---------------------------------------------

after installing magisk by twrp it did not appear to me as app.

What do I do to get root access?

lexridge

May 19, 2011
after installing magisk by twrp it did not appear to me as app.

What do I do to get root access?

After my phone updated to Pie, I am also having this problem. When flashing Magisk, it all goes well, no errors whatsoever. I reboot, no Magisk app and no root. Anyone have any ideas? Do I need to maybe use one of these commands before installing Magisk?
Code:
echo KEEPVERITY=true>>/cache/.magisk
echo KEEPFORCEENCRYPT=true>>/cache/.magisk
or do I want to disable this stuff using:
Code:
echo KEEPVERITY=false>>/data/.magisk
echo KEEPFORCEENCRYPT=false>>/data/.magisk

sildinei

Nov 14, 2018
After my phone updated to Pie, I am also having this problem. When flashing Magisk, it all goes well, no errors whatsoever. I reboot, no Magisk app and no root. Anyone have any ideas? Do I need to maybe use one of these commands before installing Magisk?
Code:
echo KEEPVERITY=true>>/cache/.magisk
echo KEEPFORCEENCRYPT=true>>/cache/.magisk
or do I want to disable this stuff using:
Code:
echo KEEPVERITY=false>>/data/.magisk
echo KEEPFORCEENCRYPT=false>>/data/.magisk

I installed magisk apk after installing via fatboot and started to function perfectly.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Disclaimer :
    YOU are choosing to make these modifications
    and YOU are the only one responsible for any damages done to your device

==== Notes/Prerequisets/Links ====
    * you should have already unlocked your bootloader (if not then start the process as soon as possible because it's going to take a while).
    * backup your stuff, make sure you have sufficient charge just in case anything went wrong.
    * download the unoffical TWRP port from Here (get the latest version)
    * get the latest magisk from Here
    * install device usb drivers
    * set up fastboot properly Method A, Method B (using chocolaty)
    - - - - - - - - - - - -
    instructions :
    1- shutdown your device completely.
    2- enter fastboot mode by pressing and holding the Vol Down + Power Button button until you see xiaomi's mi bunny with a blue "fastboot" text underneath it.
    3- connect your device to your pc via usb cable.
    4- on your pc check if you have fastboot configured properly and your device recognized by typing:
    Code:
    fastboot devices
    if it's detected then you're good to proceed to the next step.
    5- flash the twrp recovery image by using the usual fastboot commands.
    Code:
    fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
    in our case it should look something like:
    Code:
    fastboot flash recovery recovery-TWRP-3.3.0-0517-XIAOMI8LITE-CN-wzsx150.img
    6- unplug usb cable and hold the Vol up + Power Button (don't let go of the buttons untill the devices vibrates) and let it boot to the twrp recovery you just installed.
    7- if you rebooted successfully, you should be at TWRP splash screen, if greeted with a slider slide it and continue.
    8- in the main menu of TWRP, go to "Install" choose the magisk zip file you downloaded and flash it, when done reboot the device.
    9- congratulations friend, you're now rooted and have TWRP as your recovery :D Happy Flashing :highfive:
    - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Optional : install Orange Fox Recovery from Here (Supports Encryption and MIUI OTA updates).
    - - - - - - - - - - - -
    2020-02-25 Last upated and working on MIUI Global Stable 11.0.8 Pie
    As @chan200606 said in the post https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=79325719&postcount=3, TWRP 1003/1203 are for Oreo only.
    For Pie you need to upgrade to versions 0121, 0212 or 0330.

Here you have a Google Drive folder with Pie versions: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1780TJvn-ZHPBtgDdNjrN8i9YRlqPy38v (credits for this help to @dwl99)
    Is it possible to just accesss the TWRP to edit build.prop enabling camera2 Api?

If I remember is something about:
    fastboot boot twrp.img

and then:
    setprop persist.camera.HAL3.enabled 1

Without the need of root the device.

Thanks for the guide!
    Sorry for the late reply
    No problem
    +
    I'm not really sure if you could do it with TWRP's built in file manager without root
    You could try

I've seen people do it with adb but haven't had the chance to try it yet
    take a look here : https://www.google.iq/amp/s/amp.red...gswg/camera2_api_without_root/#ampf=undefined

And here (this has some very useful info)
    https://www.google.iq/amp/s/forum.x...o/guide-enable-camera2-api-root-t3690366/amp/

Thank you for the reply. I've done it in Mi A1 but I don't know if it's the same procedure because of the MIUI. One of the links says that we have to change something in kernel to do it.

It would be good expert people try it to see what method works. It's sad that the Mi 8 Lite doesn't have a proper forum until now.
    i flashed stock rom in Mi Flash with the clean all option checked
    i set up the phone for the first time without setting any fingerprint or security or anything
    after that i flashed twrp
    from twrp i flashed dm verity and encryption disable

It looks like your phone was not encrypted (or was encrypted with MIUI's default password) when you flashed TWRP, as you had clean flashed stock then set up without setting security. That you could start TWRP to flash "dm versity and encryption disable", without being asked to input a password first, shows that TWRP was able to handle the default encryption (or no encryption) of the clean MIUI install.

In my case I already have a screen PIN set up on my phone before trying to install TWRP, and this version of TWRP can't handle it. Another difference is that I have not actually flashed TWRP onto the phone but have merely booted to TWRP via fastboot. I wouldn't have thought that this would affect TWRP's ability to decrypt the DATA partition though.

In hindsight I should have just done the minimum setup after the phone was wiped by the bootloader unlocking process before installing TWRP. I guess that unless there is another version of TWRP out that can handle the screen PIN encryption, my only option is to wipe clean the phone so that I can repeat what you did. However, now that I have reinstalled everything on the phone, I am a bit reluctant to do this just to get root. I think I will wait until there is an AOSP ROM available and do the wipe/format at the time of switching. Hopefully I don't have to wait too long!
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone