[GUIDE][MI A2 / MI 6X] How to unbrick from ARB (EDL state)

Search This thread

djmitza222

Feb 16, 2008
Baia Mare
Salve! As you may know, Xiaomi enabled ARB (Anti-Roll Back) for Mi 6X starting with MIUI 10. It means that if you try to downgrade from MIUI 10 to MIUI 9, your device will enter in a brick EDL state and the only way to recover it is to send it to Xiaomi or flash it using MiFlash and an Authorized Account.

Yes, I am stupid and it happened to me.

Now, as I read here on XDA, there are some people who managed to brick their device by triggering the ARB when they converted the Mi A2 to Mi 6X to test MIUI. So if you flashed MIUI 10 and didn't deleted firmware-update from the .zip file, you triggered the ARB. If you tried to flash MIUI 9 or stock Mi A2 ROM, you managed to brick your device and it stays in an EDL state (Qualcomm 9008). You SIMPLY CANNOT rollback to Android One yet but you can revive your device very easy without test point or Mi Authorized Account.

Steps are simple. You just need to restore the device to the latest available MIUI 10 with a modified version of MiFlash by using wayne (Mi 6X) ROM with patched files in order to bypass the Unauthorized Account thing.

Keep in mind that your device will be MI 6X forever! Forget about Android One! If you want to revert back to stock Android, flash AEX or Pixel Experience.

1. Download MiFlashTool and Patched Programmer files: CLICK
2. Download latest Mi 6X MIUI Developer ROM: CLICK
3. Unzip all the files on your Desktop
4. Copy the Patched Programmer files to images folder of ROM
5. Start MiFlashTool, select the folder with your ROM (do NOT select images folder), on the bottom-right select flash_all
6. Plug the phone on your computer, hit refresh and flash fast!
7. Your phone will start flashing. When "success" appears, unplug your device, press the power button for about 15 seconds and boom, it's alive again!
8. If you want root or to flash another ROM, download the TWRP image from the folder above and type:
fastboot boot «drop here the TWRP image»
Once booted, copy the TWRP image to internal memory
In TWRP, go to Install -> Install Image -> Select TWRP image -> Recovery
Reboot -> Recovery

Since this device is no longer a Mi A2, we have now a standalone recovery partition. With ARB triggered, you can flash any ROM from TWRP (MIUI 10, Pixel Experience, AEX, Treble etc.). If you flash again MIUI 9, you will brick again your device.

If you found this tutorial helpful, hit that thanks button!

Last edited:

windforce3425

Jul 15, 2016
Munich
What kind of insane person on earth flashes MIUI 10 onto a Mi A2?

People that like the Look and Feel of MIUI. I would have bought the 6X but I need the bands supported by A2 only. I dont care about the Android One program, I will just stick with a "converted 6X" and use their Roms.

@djmitza222 Thank you for this Guide, will be useful for many users out there.

tommy2363HUN

May 2, 2017
wtf? :c

"[19:29:41]:0 COM3 3,0201117s [19:29:41 COM3]:[19:29:41 COM3]:dump:<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?><data><log value="ERROR: Only nop and sig tag can be recevied before authentication."/></data><?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?><data><response value="NAK" /></data>"

alex_nzy

Sep 20, 2015
Catastrophic failure(0x8000ffff: cmd<?xml version="1"MaxPayloadSizeToTargetInBytes="131072"MemoryName="eMMc"SkipstorageInit="0" error after using flash tool u just gave link to please help.

djmitza222

Feb 16, 2008
Baia Mare
maybe you can help me :D so i have an A2, i started flashing the MIUI9 first but there was an error message: ACK count mismatch. Since then the phone is a brick. I can boot it but stuck on the MI logo, also i can boot to fastboot but neither way does the phone recognized by my and other computers. When the phone is turned of and i press the power button only once the led is blinking but if I plug it in to the computer it starts to boot and stuck at the MI logo. Is there any way to recover or should i return it to a service center? Sorry if it's an offtopic question but you are my only hope. :)

Boot the phone in EDL mode from fastboot (fastboot oem edl) and flash Mi A2 stock ROM. It should work.

stopthetime

Jan 30, 2018
No, it will brick again. Only if somebody makes a TWRP flash version for stock ROM.

https://www.getdroidtips.com/xiaomi-mi-a2-stock-firmware/

here is the recovery version of mi a2 stock

But would it have to replace some file?

---------- Post added at 02:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:23 PM ----------

The tutorial worked on my friend's cell phone. But he can not flash any ROMs through twrp. Receive error 7.

djmitza222

Feb 16, 2008
Baia Mare
https://www.getdroidtips.com/xiaomi-mi-a2-stock-firmware/

here is the recovery version of mi a2 stock

But would it have to replace some file?

---------- Post added at 02:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:23 PM ----------

The tutorial worked on my friend's cell phone. But he can not flash any ROMs through twrp. Receive error 7.

Vendor related error 7 or System related error 7? Do NOT flash Mi A2 ROM again or you will brick your device.

stopthetime

Jan 30, 2018
Last edited:

tre123456789

May 4, 2015
what happens if we update the miui from its own updater for new updates?

what happens if we update the miui from its own updater for new updates?
will it brick the device

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Salve! As you may know, Xiaomi enabled ARB (Anti-Roll Back) for Mi 6X starting with MIUI 10. It means that if you try to downgrade from MIUI 10 to MIUI 9, your device will enter in a brick EDL state and the only way to recover it is to send it to Xiaomi or flash it using MiFlash and an Authorized Account.

Yes, I am stupid and it happened to me.

Now, as I read here on XDA, there are some people who managed to brick their device by triggering the ARB when they converted the Mi A2 to Mi 6X to test MIUI. So if you flashed MIUI 10 and didn't deleted firmware-update from the .zip file, you triggered the ARB. If you tried to flash MIUI 9 or stock Mi A2 ROM, you managed to brick your device and it stays in an EDL state (Qualcomm 9008). You SIMPLY CANNOT rollback to Android One yet but you can revive your device very easy without test point or Mi Authorized Account.

Steps are simple. You just need to restore the device to the latest available MIUI 10 with a modified version of MiFlash by using wayne (Mi 6X) ROM with patched files in order to bypass the Unauthorized Account thing.

Keep in mind that your device will be MI 6X forever! Forget about Android One! If you want to revert back to stock Android, flash AEX or Pixel Experience.

1. Download MiFlashTool and Patched Programmer files: CLICK
    2. Download latest Mi 6X MIUI Developer ROM: CLICK
    3. Unzip all the files on your Desktop
    4. Copy the Patched Programmer files to images folder of ROM
    5. Start MiFlashTool, select the folder with your ROM (do NOT select images folder), on the bottom-right select flash_all
    6. Plug the phone on your computer, hit refresh and flash fast!
    7. Your phone will start flashing. When "success" appears, unplug your device, press the power button for about 15 seconds and boom, it's alive again!
    8. If you want root or to flash another ROM, download the TWRP image from the folder above and type:
    fastboot boot «drop here the TWRP image»
    Once booted, copy the TWRP image to internal memory
    In TWRP, go to Install -> Install Image -> Select TWRP image -> Recovery
    Reboot -> Recovery

Since this device is no longer a Mi A2, we have now a standalone recovery partition. With ARB triggered, you can flash any ROM from TWRP (MIUI 10, Pixel Experience, AEX, Treble etc.). If you flash again MIUI 9, you will brick again your device.

If you found this tutorial helpful, hit that thanks button!

People that like the Look and Feel of MIUI. I would have bought the 6X but I need the bands supported by A2 only. I dont care about the Android One program, I will just stick with a "converted 6X" and use their Roms.

@djmitza222 Thank you for this Guide, will be useful for many users out there.
    maybe you can help me :D so i have an A2, i started flashing the MIUI9 first but there was an error message: ACK count mismatch. Since then the phone is a brick. I can boot it but stuck on the MI logo, also i can boot to fastboot but neither way does the phone recognized by my and other computers. When the phone is turned of and i press the power button only once the led is blinking but if I plug it in to the computer it starts to boot and stuck at the MI logo. Is there any way to recover or should i return it to a service center? Sorry if it's an offtopic question but you are my only hope. :)

Boot the phone in EDL mode from fastboot (fastboot oem edl) and flash Mi A2 stock ROM. It should work.
    Hi. Sorry for my English in advance I use google translation. If I understand correctly, you have brick your phone by wanting to go back to an earlier version. ARB has blocked you! you went back to EDL mode and then you did this tutorial for unbrick. if you managed to go back to an earlier version, do you still have ARB? because in fact, if you no longer ARB, it is because your tutor is used to bypass ARB. if that's the case then we have to brick the phone and use your tutorial to unlock. For me this is just a way around ARB am I right? in any case, I will try to brick the device and try your tutorial I would tell you if we can use as a bypass method for ARB. I'll let you know if successful
    Still have arb 4 my friend.