• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

[GUIDE][MOD]Auto Dark Theme for Stock Android Pie

Search This thread

kountry83

Mar 5, 2011
Baytown
@Typhus_
Would happen to know why my notifications/lockscreen is showing up like this on HTC Exodus 1 stock Android pie?

Thank you

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200522-034031.png
    Screenshot_20200522-034031.png
    213.5 KB · Views: 159

kountry83

Mar 5, 2011
Baytown
I don't know for sure but, if you're using a theme, you probably need to check the styles.xml on SystemUI and on framewrok-res.

Somewhere the text dialog dimensions for notifications are just wrong.

It shows the large font on notifications for lock screen and status bar notifications.
Can I send you the files systemui and framework-res please. I would know how to recompile and sign.
Thank you

Last edited:

kountry83

Mar 5, 2011
Baytown

chukundeda

Jun 2, 2014
Vranje
Hello Typhus_

Good job with the dark theme MOD. I recently rooted my Moto Z3 Play, because the manufacturer decided to cancel the update for android 10, which was announced earlier.
I try this mod but have some irregularities in notifications/lock-screen (small letters, black font on dark base...), also the message and Gmail app were still in white. Only the settings menu was regular and it looks nice.
I disable everything, uninstall the Magisk module and everything is back to normal. Maybe Nova Launcher causing this (I already have a dark theme for notifications/lock-screen through NovaL)

Now, my question is: Can I apply the dark themes only for the settings menu?

Thank you very much, regards

Last edited:

Typhus_

Jan 9, 2013
Lisbon
www.facebook.com
Xiaomi Mi A1
Xiaomi Mi A3
Hello Typhus_

Good job with the dark theme MOD. I recently rooted my Moto Z3 Play, because the manufacturer decided to cancel the update for android 10, which was announced earlier.
I try this mod but have some irregularities in notifications/lock-screen (small letters, black font on dark base...), also the message and Gmail app were still in white. Only the settings menu was regular and it looks nice.
I disable everything, uninstall the Magisk module and everything is back to normal. Maybe Nova Launcher causing this (I already have a dark theme for notifications/lock-screen through NovaL)

Now, my question is: Can I apply the dark themes only for the settings menu?

Thank you very much, regards

Hello,

Sorry for the delay...

Well, the thing is this module was made having has base framework-res.apk and SystemUI.apk from stock Android Pie ROM for Xiaomi Mi A3. Therefore, and most likely, if your device has different values on framework and/or SystemUI, the mods will suffer some glitches "here and there". The best way to fix that would be to decompile framework-res.apk and SystemUI.apk from your device, also decompile the overlays this module adds and check if the values stored on the overlays, "make sense" when compared to the original values present on framework and SystemUI.

Thing is, I cannot do it for you. I suggest you to learn to decompile and recompile the apk files yourself.

Take a look at "Tickle My Android" thread (the link is on my signature). There you will learn how to do that and change things yourself to perfectly match all values on your device.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Reactions: chukundeda

chukundeda

Jun 2, 2014
Vranje
Hello,

Sorry for the delay...

Well, the thing is this module was made having has base framework-res.apk and SystemUI.apk from stock Android Pie ROM for Xiaomi Mi A3. Therefore, and most likely, if your device has different values on framework and/or SystemUI, the mods will suffer some glitches "here and there". The best way to fix that would be to decompile framework-res.apk and SystemUI.apk from your device, also decompile the overlays this module adds and check if the values stored on the overlays, "make sense" when compared to the original values present on framework and SystemUI.

Thing is, I cannot do it for you you would have to learn to decompile and recompile the apk files yourself.

Take a look at "Tickle My Android" thread (the link is on my signature). There you will learn how to do that and change things yourself to perfectly match all values on your device.

Cheers!

Thank you! Can you please just answer my last question about the settings menu? Is there any command only for that?

Typhus_

Jan 9, 2013
Lisbon
www.facebook.com
Xiaomi Mi A1
Xiaomi Mi A3
Thank you! Can you please just answer my last question about the settings menu? Is there any command only for that?

You could try just this and see what happens:

Code:
cmd overlay enable com.android.settings.DarkOverlay && cmd overlay enable com.android.settings.intelligence.DarkOverlay

Cheers!

Reactions: chukundeda
A

AtomTZW

I've made all the steps on Motorola x4 (payton) rom stock (android 9) but unfortunately it didn't work. Idk what I'm doing wrong.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    One of the major features included on Android 10 is the "Dark Theme" that gets applied system wide on our Android devices.

Stock Android Pie (9) has a somewhat preview of this dark theme (that can be enabled on Settings) and, also, it has an auto change at night option (that can be enabled on Developer Settings) but, and I really don't know why Google did this, not everything gets changed to dark on default AOSP based ROMs.

If we enable the "Battery Saver" mode we can experience an overall dark mode system wide (and on almost all Google Apps...except for Messages app...). But, even with battery saver mode on, the Settings remained with a Light theme. This was something that really annoyed me...until now!

Time to change this!

HOW TO ENABLE DARK THEME SYSTEM WIDE ON ANDROID PIE:

1. Root your device with Magisk
    2. Install MacroDroid App
    3. Download Typhus_Pix3lify_MOD.zip (or Typhus_Pix3lify_BLACK_MOD.zip, if you prefer black instead of dark material grey) and install it on Magisk
    4. Download AutoDarkMode.mdr and import it to MacroDroid

NOTES:

1 - The Magisk module present on this thread is an edited version of Pix3lify Magisk module created by @joeyhuab. I've removed a lot of stuff present on the original module keeping only the Pixel framework overlay and, also, I've added a Dark Settings Theme Overlay. Because of this, if you are already running Pix3lify on your device, please uninstall it (flash the zip module again to completely uninstall it) before installing this modded version.

2 - After importing the "AutoDarkMode.mdr" macro template, you'll have 2 macros available:
    BatterySaver -> Besides enabling/disabling the Dark overlays, it enables/disables the battery saver mode which, in return, will enable the Dark Mode everywhere on your device and on almost all Google Apps (this macro is disabled by default...not everyone wants the device on battery saver mode and, also, it gets disabled when you charge your device...)
    DarkSettings -> It only enables/disables the Dark overlays (this macro is enabled by default)
    49459454068_84345a9f07_b.jpg

3 - Although the DarkSettings macro enables all dark overlays, you should enable the auto switch to night mode feature on Developer Settings as well, so that other Google Apps get changed to dark.
    49459930761_58528423ca_b.jpg
    49460162347_80310bf271_b.jpg
    49459454033_a6489b905f_b.jpg

4 - The Sunrise/Sunset triggers on MacroDroid will only work after you setup your correct location on the App.

5 - Sometimes MacroDroid does not execute the action based on this type of trigger. I believe it has got something to do with battery optimization. If you face issues, meaning, if the triggers don't start the actions please just disable Battery Optimization on MacroDroid app.

6 - If you want, you may install Nova Launcher since, with it, you can change even more things to dark automatically.
    49459454098_4b1a3dfb29_b.jpg

7 - This was tested on my device (Xiaomi Mi A3) running on stock Android Pie. But I think that this MOD should be compatible with any device running Android Pie on AOSP based ROMs.

8 - If you have any doubts and/or questions, please reply to this thread.

Screenshots:

Home Screen
    49459453653_c047b47af6_b.jpg
    49459930501_c487f68e9d_b.jpg

Google App
    49460162127_ec24b6724f_b.jpg
    49459930606_3a09396d7e_b.jpg

Quick Settings
    49459930626_59cbddf30e_b.jpg
    49459930636_71ecd2b7b3_b.jpg

Settings Home Screen
    49460162212_658da457b1_b.jpg
    49459453903_2d0e5cdcda_b.jpg

Sound Sub Settings
    49459453928_360c8b464e_b.jpg
    49459453943_db40609b28_b.jpg

USB Sub Settings
    49459453963_abea1a80fc_b.jpg
    49459453993_0c99758544_b.jpg
    More screenshots:
    You may find more screenshots HERE, HERE and also, HERE!

Credits:

@topjohnwu (for Magisk)
    @joeyhuab and all Pix3lify MOD team (for Pix3lify original Magisk Module)
    Substratum theme engine Team (for everything overlays related)
    MacroDroid Team (for MacroDroid)
    @djdarkknight96 (TeamBlackOut - Sprite theme Developer) for his help on fixing things
    @SpiritCroc (for kindly publicly share his DarkCroc-Android-theme on GitHub)

Cheers!
    New version with dark notifications fixed!

I've decided to share a new version, and so, the download link on the OP for the Magisk Module (meaning, only the zip file) has been updated again!

This newer version has the dark notifications fixed! Finally, now it looks exactly as I always wanted!

I've also fixed a small detail on settings... check the attached images to see what was changed.

Cheers!
    New version with a lesser "flat looking" Dark Settings theme

I've decided to share a new version, and so, the download link on the OP for the Magisk Module (meaning, only the zip file) has been updated!

This newer version has a lesser "flat looking" dark settings theme to match the light version overall look.

See for your self the "new look" on the attached images.

Cheers!
    Nice work, brother!
    Thanks for sharing your awesome work with us ??

You could try just this and see what happens:

Code:
    cmd overlay enable com.android.settings.DarkOverlay && cmd overlay enable com.android.settings.intelligence.DarkOverlay

Cheers!