[GUIDE][MOD] Guide to Enable Mobile Hotspot & Tethering on Q-Link Wireless & Bypass Bandwidth Throttling

Search This thread

LilithJezebel

Nov 2, 2022
Typically, members are not able to share QLink data using a device's native hotspot. Hence, this thread provides a means with which to enable data sharing for subscribers who are unable to share their data natively. You seem to be an exception to the rule with your iPhone.
The bandwidth throttling limitations imposed by QLink Wireless restricts the maximum download speed on 4G-LTE data connections to 2 Mbps maximum. You don't need to jailbreak your phone in order to bypass the bandwidth throttling. You merely need to install a VPN application and connect to a stable VPN server.
Thanks! I am going to give it a shot this evening; I will report back. :)

Reactions: Viva La Android

Viva La Android

Jul 31, 2019
Northeastern Tennessee
LG G Pad 8.3
Moto G
UPDATE: November 24, 2022
It has come to my attention -- both by info from other members and trial and error of my own -- that QLink Wireless 4G-LTE/5G data can now be shared on some devices via Android's native hotspot & tethering feature. I would encourage any QLink subscriber to test this phenomenon. On devices where native hotspot works with QLink, the mods outlined in this guide would not be necessary, but will continue to work nevertheless. At this time I have no info regarding monthly hotspot limits i(f applicable) imposed by QLink. I am asking any members with info in this regard to please share your input by commenting below.

JDToo

Feb 1, 2015
Besides, on most newer Android builds (Android 9 & newer) the dun APN value is no longer effective...In short, the dun trick hasn't worked in years.
That isn't true as I am currently using that on an unrooted 5G device with Android 12. Given the risk of losing this workaround, I am not going to say which mobile network it works on and which phone, but it does as I post this. So, the bottom line for other users is try it anyway and see what your results are. I cannot argue with my results.

Regarding this topic in general I appreciate the discussion, but there is nothing really special about PDANet+ as a solution to this problem, and I certainly wouldn't pay for the app to achieve that goal. To correct another piece of misinformation from you below, PDANet+ is NOT free. See "Note: Free edition will interrupt your usage and requires you to turn back on." on its official website, and to purchase go to http://pdanet.co/buy/ .

There are free solutions which do the same thing or achieve similar results and which don't require Wi-Fi Direct. As a backup to using my phone as a Wi-Fi personal hotspot using the custom APN, I connect my phone to my home Wi-Fi LAN instead and share its connection that way (using free, third-party, open source software).

Regarding QLink there are some other carriers/MVNO's which have better lifeline and ACP programs which don't throttle data (though some don't provide a phone) at least at the time of this post and are available in at least most of the U.S. Shop around if you can't get around Qlink's bandwidth throttle.

Last edited:

Viva La Android

Jul 31, 2019
Northeastern Tennessee
LG G Pad 8.3
Moto G
That isn't true as I am currently using that on an unrooted 5G device with Android 12. Given the risk of losing this workaround, I am not going to say which mobile network it works on and which phone, but it does as I post this. So, the bottom line for other users is try it anyway and see what your results are.

Regarding this topic in general I appreciate the discussion, but there is nothing really special about PDANet+ as a solution to this problem, and I certainly wouldn't pay for the app to achieve that goal. There are free solutions which do the same thing or achieve similar results and which don't require Wi-Fi Direct. As a backup to using my phone as a Wi-Fi personal hotspot using the custom APN, I connect my phone to my home Wi-Fi LAN instead and share its connection that way (using free, third-party, open source software).

Regarding QLink there are some other carriers/MVNO's which have better lifeline and ACP programs which don't throttle data (though some don't provide a phone) at least at the time of this post. Shop around.
dun certainly does not work on Android 12. I will be glad to show you the deprecated source code. On the PDANet+ app, it's free. Nothing to pay for. PDANet+, and other similar apps, provide a full workaround on carriers who restrict native hotspot & tethering functionality, but setting up the hotspot via a WiFi Direct protocol. So your entire position is factually flawed and otherwise blatantly false. To be clear, PDANet+ can bypass the hotspot restrictions of any US carrier. I'd call that significant.
Please don't spread misinformation on this thread. The dun value is 100% useless and has been for years. If you compiled code you would know that. Moreover, with all due respect, you have been on XDA since 2015 and you're still a basic member....with a reaction score of 1. Trolling isn't tolerated here. I would recommend YouTube or Twitter... lots of trolls on those platforms.
Here is an excellent piece on the tether_dun value being removed entirely back during API Level 29 (Android 10). The config value was actually obsolete long before deprecation, back during Android Nougat.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/77c1dj Take note that this info is over 5 years old.
What do you mean by "shop around?" My mobile plan is through T-Mobile and I'm more than happy with the service. The purpose of this thread is to provide a workaround for QLink subscribers who cannot share data by native means, and tips on bypassing the bandwidth throttling. As I stated in the OP, my QLink data plan was purchased from a third party, so I'm not technically a subscriber.

Last edited:

AeonFlux1603

Feb 1, 2019
@Viva La Android you are completely correct. tether_dun_apn is deprecated and has been completely removed from AOSP source. Adding dun to the APN Type has absolutely no affect whatsoever on Android 9 Pie and newer versions. On Oreo and Nougat builds, many carrier branded devices have had tether_dun_apn completely disabled or otherwise removed from the global config by the OEM. Hence you really need to go all the way back to Android Marshmallow and earlier in order for tether_dun_apn to have any real affect on enabling native hotspot. Even then, root was sometimes needed to add net.tethering.noprovisioning=true to build.prop global settings.
The person saying he used dun to enable hotspot on Android 12 for 5G is definitely trolling. Don't pay any attention or reply to any of that foolishness. Isn't worth the time. Report it t a mod and get the thread tidy again.

Last edited:
Reactions: Viva La Android

Badger50

Senior Moderator / Moderator Committee
Staff member
Thread cleaned!

Alright my friends, enough of the back-n-forth with the disrespectful and name calling posts. Please take note of XDA Rule 2.3 before proceeding any futher:

2.3 Flaming / Lack of respect: XDA is about sharing and this does not involve virtual yelling (flaming) or rudeness. Flaming or posting with a lack of respect is unacceptable. Treat new members in the manner in which you would like to have been treated when you were a new member. When dealing with any member, provide them with guidance, advice and instructions when you can, showing them respect and courtesy. Never post in a demanding, argumentative, disrespectful or self-righteous manner.

Please take a step back and cool the tempers, and rather than replying to certain posts with "snarkiness" of your own, we Mods would greatly appreciate it
if you would just report them instead so as to prevent public drama that usually occurs.

Thank you all for your cooperation, and a pleasant and calmer day to all.

-Regards: Badger50

Viva La Android

Jul 31, 2019
Northeastern Tennessee
LG G Pad 8.3
Moto G
@Badger50 thanks much for messaging me and talking things out... and being patient with my rudeness. @JDToo I have no hard feelings towards you and I hope you have none towards me. The proverbial hatchet is buried as far as I'm concerned.
I'm gonna take this week to clear my head and get some things worked out... I'll return next Monday with a refreshed perspective. Long live XDA

Viva La Android

Jul 31, 2019
Northeastern Tennessee
LG G Pad 8.3
Moto G
The thread is open again and the troll posts have been removed. I would ask all members to help me keep this thread clean, on topic, and factually concise. Thank you.
Despite the recent misinformation posted to this thread, the dun value in APN settings has absolutely no relevance within the context of this guide. The dun value was deprecated from global settings back with the release of Android 10. Nevertheless, dun is relevant only to native hotspot & tethering support. This thread deals with the subject of WiFi Direct Hotspot, not the native hotspot & tethering features.

Last edited:

Britch3s

Sep 10, 2016
Grayson
Doesn't work on QLink and QLink is T-Mobile based. Native Hotspot & Tethering has been completely disabled by QLink. The WiFi Direct Hotspot method is the only workaround; and the USB tethering method to a Windows computer and, in turn, using the Windows 10/11 native hotspot to share the QLink data connection. Besides, on most newer Android builds (Android 9 & newer) the dun APN value is no longer effective. Changes to apns-config.xml implements an override for the dun value which is network based. On Verizon, AT&T & T-Mobile based providers, adding dun to you APN Type and editing build.prop to include net.tetherong.noprovisionimg=true was a workaround to enable native hotspot several years ago. Nowadays, only methods like WiFi Direct Hotspot can effectively bypass carrier-imposed hotspot restrictions. In short, the dun trick hasn't worked in years.

The data speed cap put in place by QLink is highly unusual. Myself and some other members are able to bypass the speed cap simply by connecting to a stable VPN server. However, other members are unable to do so. This indicates that the speed cap restriction is server-sided in some parts of the country and DNS based in other parts. Very bizarre to say the least. But without a means to run network diagnostics in various geographical locations throughout the country, I can only pinpoint these factors in the area I reside -- where a VPN server connection circumvents the speed cap.
Sure you can add dun to your APN Type in settings, but it will do absolutely nothing. Even if the dun value did have any affect, it would still be of no relevance in terms of this guide. Again, dun applies to native hotspot. We don't use native hotspot in this guide
FALSE (to you claiming what i mentioned about hotspot not working as i use this method daily), i have a qlink sim quite literally atm to which if i use the apn set at default it has no ability to provide hotspot (turns on but does not give internet however) but if i add what i mentioned dun, hotspot to the apn it then is able to give internet to other devices. if the device is unlocked then this is 100% a workaround. even on verizon, and ATT. as i have qlink verizon, and att sims (yes all 3 at one time) tested in the same MI 11 device. does not work in my carrier locked a51, or z flip 4.

Britch3s

Sep 10, 2016
Grayson
if your interested in proof, dm me. itll be video and screen cap or one or the other. but i will show the qlink sim working as such. as that is whats in the mi 11 currently. my 4th sim is str8 talk/lifeline and they have managed to lock their sim cards to straight talk devices they support only or "select unlocked phones" as neither of my mi11 imei numbers will work for the safelink sim.

Viva La Android

Jul 31, 2019
Northeastern Tennessee
LG G Pad 8.3
Moto G
if your interested in proof, dm me. itll be video and screen cap or one or the other. but i will show the qlink sim working as such. as that is whats in the mi 11 currently. my 4th sim is str8 talk/lifeline and they have managed to lock their sim cards to straight talk devices they support only or "select unlocked phones" as neither of my mi11 imei numbers will work for the safelink sim.
I don't doubt you at all. So does one of my devices on QLink. You're completely missing the context of what I'm emphasizing. You're also a bit behind. I covered this in the OP some time ago.
Many members are reporting that QLink native hotspot is now working. I covered it in the OP more than two weeks ago. Has nothing to do with dun. My entire point is, if native hotspot is working for you on QLink, the dun value in APN Type has nothing to do with it. Sure, you can add dun to the APN settings. However it will simply have no affect and goes unrecognized.
As I pointed out in the OP weeks ago, whether advertently or inadvertently, QLink has lifted server-sided native hotspot restrictions in some geographical regions.
I have a Hot Pepper™ Chilaca 4G-LTE smartphone I'm beta testing for the manufacturer, and QLink native hotspot works great on it. However, my APN settings are exactly what I have listed in the OP -- no dun value. As I referenced in the OP, for members who are able to use native hotspot with QLink, the methods outlined in this guide are not needed. I have outlined sone explanation below on APN Type values in APN setting.

Last edited:

Viva La Android

Jul 31, 2019
Northeastern Tennessee
LG G Pad 8.3
Moto G
I want to outline a brief dissertation explaining the APN Type entry in APN settings and it's function. There's been much confusion on this recently so I feel the need to elaborate on this subject.
Traditionally, a SIM card employs GPRS settings to access the internet. Each particular mobile provider has an established set of Access Point Name (APN) parameters which must be configured for internet access, multimedia messaging (MMS), carrier configuration updates, etc. Among the various APN parameters is APN Type, which defines the precise type of data connection to be established via the respective network. Various values are assigned to the APN Type, each one defining a specific data connection gateway. Some of the APN Type values are as follows:​
  • MMS -- this APN Type values represents a service gateway for multimedia messaging (MMS) data conectivity. For MMS, there are other parameters which must be configured as well, such as Proxy, Port, MMSC, etc.​
  • SUPL - this is s common value meaning Secure User Plane Location, which sets up a secure connection on tne network's location server. With more recent Android versions, the Default APN Type value incorporates this very function.​
  • Default -- as implied by the name, this APN Type is utilized for all data connections (unless anothet APN type is not explicitly set up. (In HLR, subscribers may employ multiple APNs, with one being designated for the default value.)​
  • DUN -- this APN Type is the focal point of this post. It stands for Dial-Up Networking data connections, and was once used to define and enable native hotspot and tethering functionality on a particular network. (This value was also applicable to the build.prop and default.prop settings on some Android versions for a global configuration on enabling data sharing on a native basis.) This is an outdated APN Type which was deprecated back with API Level 29. Even with older Android versions that support DUN, most networks have now established server-sided network restrictions that reject user initiated dun entries by default. This value no longer has any affect on the APN Type and is considered obsolete on the Android OS.​
  • FOTA. -- this value is an acronym for Firmware Over The Air and configures a data connection for firmware updates via the manufacturer's software OTA channel. Like most APN Type designations used today, a FOTA gateway can be established by using the Default value and doesn't need to be specified by entering FOTA.​
  • HIPRI -- much like DUN, this value is also outdated abd deprecated, and thus no longer used as an APN Type. Many websites, blogs, anc forums falsely state that HIPRI must be utikized in order for APN settings to be correct. To the contrary, HIPRI is simply not used with mainstream MVNOs, subsidiary networks, or primary providers in this day and age.​
There are other APN Types as well, which are used to establish specific data connections via the respective mobile network. I merely wanted to outline some of the more common APN Type values but, specifically, the dun value and its modern day irrelevance to APN settings.​

Last edited:

Viva La Android

Jul 31, 2019
Northeastern Tennessee
LG G Pad 8.3
Moto G
In the interests of keeping my thread relevant and tidy, I'm respectfully asking that topics such as obsolete Android settings not be discussed. This subject matter simply causes confusion and spreads misinformation, and will be treated as trolling.

Last edited:

Viva La Android

Jul 31, 2019
Northeastern Tennessee
LG G Pad 8.3
Moto G
You obviously haven't learned a thing as you still don't actually read and understand what other people write when it contradicts your predetermined views.
I'm going to ask you once nicely. Stop trolling the thread. End of discussion on the obsolete APN setting. I do understand what you're posting is known as trolling. Take it elsewhere

Last edited by a moderator:

onepunch11

Dec 16, 2022
I have been trying for days and it connects but with no internet I'm using qlink with a blu G90 pro version 10 android is there any other way around this I have literally tried everything. F*@K

Viva La Android

Jul 31, 2019
Northeastern Tennessee
LG G Pad 8.3
Moto G
I have been trying for days and it connects but with no internet I'm using qlink with a blu G90 pro version 10 android is there any other way around this I have literally tried everything. F*@K
You're saying that other devices can connect to your hotspot, but with no internet? What are you using for your hotspot? PDANet+, native hotspot?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    @Badger50 thanks much for messaging me and talking things out... and being patient with my rudeness. @JDToo I have no hard feelings towards you and I hope you have none towards me. The proverbial hatchet is buried as far as I'm concerned.
    I'm gonna take this week to clear my head and get some things worked out... I'll return next Monday with a refreshed perspective. Long live XDA
    @Badger50 I'm sorry I took my frustration out on you. You're doing your job. I've just reached my limit with trolls and off-topic posting. Time to call it quits. But again, those issues are not your fault, so I'm in the wrong on that and I apologize.
    Thread cleaned!

Alright my friends, enough of the back-n-forth with the disrespectful and name calling posts. Please take note of XDA Rule 2.3 before proceeding any futher:

2.3 Flaming / Lack of respect: XDA is about sharing and this does not involve virtual yelling (flaming) or rudeness. Flaming or posting with a lack of respect is unacceptable. Treat new members in the manner in which you would like to have been treated when you were a new member. When dealing with any member, provide them with guidance, advice and instructions when you can, showing them respect and courtesy. Never post in a demanding, argumentative, disrespectful or self-righteous manner.

Please take a step back and cool the tempers, and rather than replying to certain posts with "snarkiness" of your own, we Mods would greatly appreciate it
    if you would just report them instead so as to prevent public drama that usually occurs.

Thank you all for your cooperation, and a pleasant and calmer day to all.

-Regards: Badger50
    The thread is open again and the troll posts have been removed. I would ask all members to help me keep this thread clean, on topic, and factually concise. Thank you.
    Despite the recent misinformation posted to this thread, the dun value in APN settings has absolutely no relevance within the context of this guide. The dun value was deprecated from global settings back with the release of Android 10. Nevertheless, dun is relevant only to native hotspot & tethering support. This thread deals with the subject of WiFi Direct Hotspot, not the native hotspot & tethering features.
    What can I use for iPhone
    I would highly recommend using PDANet+, which has been ported for the iOS platform. Full instructions and download links are available at the official PDANet website here:
    As a caveat, you will need to apply a jailbreak to your Apple device and use the Cydia app market to install PDANet. This is because Apple does not host the PDANet app on the Apple App Store, and because installing apps from unknown sources is not natively permitted on stock iOS.
    If you are not comfortable with this type of modding, and if you are financially able, it would be far simpler to acquire a very cheap unlocked or T-Mobile compatible Android smartphone, which you can use just for purposes of sharing your QLink 4G-LTE-5G mobile data via hotspot or tethering. There are many pre-owned Android devices which would suffice within the $10 price range on eBay and Swappa.