[R.I.P.] [GUIDE][MOD] Guide to Enable Mobile Hotspot & Tethering on Q-Link Wireless & Bypass Bandwidth Throttling

Search This thread

charlesvane420

Feb 9, 2023
That's great. Sounds like fully unrestricted bandwidth. What type of mobile device are you using?
A spare pixel xl I had laying around... I will have to get back to you on data caps.. That's on 4g and native hotspot with factory settings.. Btw I have heard new accounts may take awhile to be flagged for the data throttle so I will have to see how that pans out..

Last edited:

Viva La Android R.I.P.

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jul 31, 2019
Northeastern Tennessee
LG G Pad 8.3
Moto G
A spare pixel xl I had laying around... I will have to get back to you on data caps.. That's on 4g and native hotspot with factory settings.. Btw I have heard new accounts may take awhile to be flagged for the data throttle so I will have to see how that pans out..
Generally speaking, QLink will throttle 4G-LTE data speeds to around 128 Kbps -- on their "Always On/Unlimited" monthly plans -- once you exceed 29.5 GB in a 30-day billing cycle period. Unfortunately, there is no known exploit to circumvent this restriction. I do know that several complaints have been filed with the FCC by subscribers to whom QLink actually disabled 4G-LTE data connectivity once the 29.5 GB data cap had been exceeded. Such a policy surely runs afoul of QLink's "Always On/Unlimited" marketing slogan, so hopefully the FCC complaints have forced QLink to desist in this regard. Because the Lifeline and ACP programs have become a highly competitive market amongst the numerous participating mobile providers, QLink may have simply lifted their native hotspot restrictions in an effort to retain subscribers. I'm only assuming though.
But yes, please keep me posted on your observations regarding the data cap, native hotspot functionality and bandwidth throttling. Hopefully you can continue to enjoy unrestricted data speeds and native hotspot.

Last edited:

nipheon

Jan 27, 2015
QLink subscribers -- it is being reported that Android's native Hotspot & Tethering feature is once again working nationwide on QLink's 4G-LTE/5G network. I am asking members to report their finding on this by leaving a comment.
Working fine for me, however it IS throttled on the Hot Pepper Seranno. I cannot effectively find a way to bypass this with or without a vpn and pdanet+ is throttled too no matter which settings I use but it is great to know this is now working. Is the sudden ability to hotspot related to the raid on the qlink facility a few months ago near me, do you think? Would be funny if it was.

Viva La Android R.I.P.

Jul 31, 2019
Northeastern Tennessee
LG G Pad 8.3
Moto G
Working fine for me, however it IS throttled on the Hot Pepper Seranno. I cannot effectively find a way to bypass this with or without a vpn and pdanet+ is throttled too no matter which settings I use but it is great to know this is now working. Is the sudden ability to hotspot related to the raid on the qlink facility a few months ago near me, do you think? Would be funny if it was.
This is only an assumption, but I believe that the reemergence of native hotspot functionality on QLink Wireless is based on the highly competitive Lifeline mobile service market. Lifeline providers offer bonuses, incentives, free devices, etc., to attract new eligible subscribers and to encourage subscribers to transfer over from other providers. Many Lifeline provides offer at least some type of data allotment for native hotspot. QLink never has, and still doesn't officially. Since QLink knows it can never fully stop data sharing by way of WiFi Direct hotspot services, they may have simply lifted the restrictions on native hotspot as an effort to gain subscribers. (T-Mobile does not permit MVNO providers like QLink to offer unrestricted native hotspot data plans.)

Viva La Android R.I.P.

Jul 31, 2019
Northeastern Tennessee
LG G Pad 8.3
Moto G
A simple way to enable hotspot from Q-Link on a Windows PC is to change your ttl from the default 128 to 65 in powershell using
Code:
netsh int ipv4 set glob defaultcurhoplimit=65
Code:
netsh int ipv6 set glob defaultcurhoplimit=65
Thats it, free unlimited hotspot on your windows.
With QLink, regardless of what method you use to set up a hotspot, it's always going to be unlimited.

Reactions: GIutton

Viva La Android R.I.P.

Jul 31, 2019
Northeastern Tennessee
LG G Pad 8.3
Moto G
Just FYI a vpn had no effect on the Internet speeds on my hotspot. In fact my internet/data speed never went above 6Mbps down & 7Mbps up even not on hotspot. Also Qlink lies! They do NOT offer unlimited data. I actually just lrecently left their service because of all the lies. Their service says unlimited data but last month they completely cut off my data access for a week and a half because I went over 4.5Gb of data & yes I was on the lifeline + ACP plan. When I called customer service & asked wth was going on & that I would even understand being throttled but that I was supposed to have unlimited data & they couldn't cut me off completely & that I couldn't update apos, check email, surf the net, or even use the My Account app. The rep then quite rudely informed me to read the fine print. That they have the right to throttle or completely remove data access from unlimited data users that go over their data limits. I protested & said that is the exact opposite of unlimited data. I was again told to read the fine print & asked if there was anything else I needed. This happened over & over with anything I tried to say or ask. So I left. Im in Oregon so I went to Access Wireless because their unlimited plan includes 15Gb high speed data (almost 4x what Qlink offers) & they will throttle after that but will never completely cut off data access. I also get 25Mbps+ down speed which is 5x what I was getting from Qlink. Qlink just had a huge lawsuit for making false claims & not meeting govt standards for their service. Qlink is horrible & I'd never recommend them to anyone.
I can confirm that VPN continues to bypass bandwidth throttling on QLink where I live.
Yes, there are many QLink subscribers who are patently unsatisfied with the quality and terms of service provided by QLink. FCC complaints against QLink are now at an all time high as well.

Viva La Android R.I.P.

Jul 31, 2019
Northeastern Tennessee
LG G Pad 8.3
Moto G
Yes. I've been doing that but I really wish hotspot would work without any issues.
I just confirmed mine is still working. I'm using a QLink SIM in a Nokia 3v and native hotspot & tethering are working without any problem. But, depending on QLink's motives, it's probably just a matter of time until all subscribers experience disabled native hotspot once again.

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2020
I just confirmed mine is still working. I'm using a QLink SIM in a Nokia 3v and native hotspot & tethering are working without any problem. But, depending on QLink's motives, it's probably just a matter of time until all subscribers experience disabled native hotspot once again.
Yeah. I also just thought it could be based on location. Kind of localist if you ask me (haha pun, unless that isn't the factor here) but oh well

Viva La Android R.I.P.

Jul 31, 2019
Northeastern Tennessee
LG G Pad 8.3
Moto G
virustotal.com reports a trojan
There is no malicious code within the programs. However, if you're not comfortable with using the programs, you can download them from a source of your choice. The activation key will give a false positive for malware. I have used both of these apps/services for a couple of years and never had any issues with malicious code. But again, the ultimate choice to install and use them is up to you.
In addition, if your phone gets infected by a trojan virus, you will at least go down in history as the very first Android device to become infected by such a virus. Since the birth of Android in 2008, up until the present date, there has never been a single confirmed case of an Android device becoming infected by a traditional virus. Most developers and coders agree that it is possible only in theory. Of course, I'm referring to the default norm - device not rooted, bootloader locked, running unmodified stock firmware. Rooted devices can certainly become infected if a user, for instance, grants superuser permission to a malicious app. Otherwise, SELinux and application sandboxing prevent a traditional virus from infiltrating the system directory. On Android, malware can only exist on allocated user storage space. It cannot affect R/O partitions such as /system, /boot or /vendor.

Last edited:

jerrys23

May 4, 2023
Qlink very fast on the 1st of the month 400 down and 100 up, then 5g goes to 2 down and 1 up.. I called and they say we don't guarantee speed.. Using a VPN does not do anything for the throttling.. Iowa here..

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    @Badger50 thanks much for messaging me and talking things out... and being patient with my rudeness. @JDToo I have no hard feelings towards you and I hope you have none towards me. The proverbial hatchet is buried as far as I'm concerned.
    I'm gonna take this week to clear my head and get some things worked out... I'll return next Monday with a refreshed perspective. Long live XDA
    @Badger50 I'm sorry I took my frustration out on you. You're doing your job. I've just reached my limit with trolls and off-topic posting. Time to call it quits. But again, those issues are not your fault, so I'm in the wrong on that and I apologize.
    Thread cleaned!

Alright my friends, enough of the back-n-forth with the disrespectful and name calling posts. Please take note of XDA Rule 2.3 before proceeding any futher:

2.3 Flaming / Lack of respect: XDA is about sharing and this does not involve virtual yelling (flaming) or rudeness. Flaming or posting with a lack of respect is unacceptable. Treat new members in the manner in which you would like to have been treated when you were a new member. When dealing with any member, provide them with guidance, advice and instructions when you can, showing them respect and courtesy. Never post in a demanding, argumentative, disrespectful or self-righteous manner.

Please take a step back and cool the tempers, and rather than replying to certain posts with "snarkiness" of your own, we Mods would greatly appreciate it
    if you would just report them instead so as to prevent public drama that usually occurs.

Thank you all for your cooperation, and a pleasant and calmer day to all.

-Regards: Badger50
    The thread is open again and the troll posts have been removed. I would ask all members to help me keep this thread clean, on topic, and factually concise. Thank you.
    Despite the recent misinformation posted to this thread, the dun value in APN settings has absolutely no relevance within the context of this guide. The dun value was deprecated from global settings back with the release of Android 10. Nevertheless, dun is relevant only to native hotspot & tethering support. This thread deals with the subject of WiFi Direct Hotspot, not the native hotspot & tethering features.
    Thanks for your feedback @alipps1. You may now join the club consisting of the multitudes of unhappy QLink campers. My guess is that the club is growing exponentially by the day with disgruntled subscribers.
    The most likely scenario is that QLink Wireless is hanging by a thin thread in terms of its litigation troubles, the mounting FCC complaints, and the ongoing federal investigation against them for a colorful variety of fraud allegations. As you likely already know, back in June, 2021, QLink's corporate headquarters were raided by agents from the FBI, the Department of Justice, the IRS, the US Postal Service, the United States Secret Service, and a number of deputies from the Broward County, Florida, Sheriff's Department. A very detailed and item-specific search warrant was executed. Footage surfaced later that day of agents removing dozens of boxes of records, documents, computers, printers, etc., from QLink's headquarters. Because the investigation is still ongoing, many details have remained hush-hush regarding the evidence seized by the authorities, as well as the particulars of the criminal allegations against the Lifeline provider. A US Postal Service Inspector, Ivan Rodriguez, has went on the record to state that the investigation is "pretty involved," "complicated" and "detailed," and that the investigation itself has been "years in the making." https://wsvn.com/news/local/multi-a...ink-wireless-corporate-office-in-dania-beach/
    To add to the bizarre circumstances surrounding these criminal allegations, the founder of QLink, Issa Asad, was charged in 2014 with killing a groundskeeper who worked at QLink. While the details are a bit scant, Mr. Asad apparently ran over the worker with his vehicle folowing some type of dispute between the two men over money in the amount of $65. Days later, the groundskeeper ultimately died from his injuries. Asad ended up pleading no contest to negligent homicide and was sentenced to a term of probation. Nearly two decades before this incident, in 1995, Asad was arrested ahd charged with aggravated battery of a police officer, a conviction also resulting in a sentence of probation. On a positive note, however, Asad did make headlines just a few years back when he provided thousands of free cell phones to Texas residents following Hurricane Harvey. (Hey, the guy has some heart at least.)
    Earlier this year, the FCC proposed a fine of $62 million against QLink for embellishing reimbursement requests amounting to over $20 million with the Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP) for devices covered by the Emergency Broadband Benefit (EBB). The FCC found that the figures were grossly overstated. Namely, QLink listed the retail price of the Scepter 8 tablet as $110 on a blog on its website. QLink over claimed support for "hundreds of thousands of computer tablets," bagging around $20.8 million total in bolstered support claims from the ACP and EBB. Lo and behold, with the tablet being branded by a mobile service provider (QLink Wireless), the FCC, ACP and EBB were all led to believe that the Scepter 8 was integrated with cellular data support, and as we all know it's a WiFi only tablet with substantially limited hardware capabilities. The QLink Scepter 8 has to be the only carrier-branded mobile device in history that has no carrier capabilities. This would be highly akin, for example, of AT&T branding & marketing a WiFi-only smartphone, or General Electric branding a heater that runs only on kerosene.
    Using very plain language, the FCC has also threatened to remove QLink from the list of ACP providers, and revoke QLink's commission authorizations. This would include its Section 214 status which permits QLink to provide wireless service in support of these government initiatives. This matter is likewise still under review by the FCC, pending QLink's written reply to the allegations, for which the FCC has given them a period of 50 days to submit. It is also clear that QLink falsely promotes its Lifeline + ACP data plans as "Always-On" & "Unlimited." (I am referring to monthly plans provided to those subscribers who receive both LifeLine and ACP benefits from QLink alone. Standard monthly plans for subscribers receiving only LifeLine benefits from QLink are allotted 4.5 GB of 4G-LTE/5G cellular data.) Contrary to QLink's claims, many subscribers who exceed 29 GB of 4G-LTE/5G data usage during a single billing period are not merely throttled to dial-up internet speeds, but lose data connectivity entirely until data plan refills occur on the 1st of the following month. At least 150 complaints regarding this matter alone have been filed to the FCC to date, against QLink from unhappy subscribers. Facts are now coming to light as well that QLink is receiving full EBB and ACP reimbursement for high-speed and unthrottled cellular data allegedly provided to its subscribers. However, any QLink subscriber can attest to the extremely throttled bandwidth of its 4G-LTE/5G data, as well as the loss of data connectivity or the virtually unusable data speeds imposed once the cap of 29 GB of data has been exceeded during a billing cycle. This is neither "unlimited" nor "always on" as QLink advertises. The lies and fraud are now mounting so as to hopefully culminate in some long-awaited Karma to balance the scales of justice.
    Sorry I got long-winded and certainly loquacious in my reply. I've been closely following these matters involving QLink for some time now, and wanted to inform any interested QLink subscribers of these facts and developments.​
    So I spent 45 minutes on the phone with Q-LINK this morning trying to get them to tell me what the throttling cap is. The answer was the same BS, my data is unlimited and any slowing is caused by signal strength, network traffic, etc. I hate when companies tell you lies or obfuscate intentionally.