[GUIDE][MOD][ROOT]Edit screen saturation and calibration via KPPD

Bert98

Jul 24, 2012
Padova
Hey everyone, I hope I'm posting in the right section because it's been a long time since I posted a thread on this forum haha

In my opinion, the screen on our G5 is great calibration-wise, however it lacks a little bit of saturation, especially since I was coming from a Galaxy S4 before this phone!

So, I remembered a little thing from back from my G Flex 2 days, called KPPD and originally found on the G4 forums (original thread is HERE), that allowed us to edit the screen settings natively even on the phones that didn't have the options in the Display settings.

Since we finally got root on the H840 as well, I thought I may as well try it out and BEHOLD! It's working!

It's relatively easy to set up and tweak, even though there's not an app to edit the settings. However, the file that contains them (postproc.conf) is pretty straightforward.

I'm running stock Nougat on my G5 SE (H840), but it should work just fine on any Qualcomm-based devices.

DISCLAIMER: I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE IF YOUR PHONE MISBEHAVES, BLOWS UP OR STOPS LOVING YOU, I TESTED IT ON MINE AND EVERYTHING'S WORKING FINE, BUT THERE'S NO WARRANTY THAT IT WILL WORK ON YOURS AS WELL.

GUIDE:

• Download the attached zip, which is just the original zip, from which I edited the config file to better suit our G5, by only adding a little of saturation (original is at 255, I put it at 275 which IMO is the "sweet spot"; everything else is unchanged.)
  • Either flash it via TWRP or extract the two files from it and copy kppd in /system/bin, with 755 permissions (rwxr-xr-x) and postproc.conf in /system/etc with 644 permissions (rw-r--r--). Use any root browser for this.
  • Setup a script to run at boot, either via init.d or with Rom Toolbox lite (I use it)
    The script is
    Code:
    kppd /system/etc/postproc.conf
  • To edit the configuration, simply open the postproc.conf file with any root text editor (I use Solid Explorer's integrated one) and tweak the settings as you like, keeping in mind that 255 is default in case you mess something up ;)

I didn't actually do much for this to work, none of this is my work so please head over to the thread I linked earlier on and thank @savoca for his amazing job :D

Attachments

Last edited:

Wire1122

Jun 18, 2016
Hey everyone, I hope I'm posting in the right section because it's been a long time since I posted a thread on this forum haha

In my opinion, the screen on our G5 is great calibration-wise, however it lacks a little bit of saturation, especially since I was coming from a Galaxy S4 before this phone!

So, I remembered a little thing from back from my G Flex 2 days, called KPPD and originally found on the G4 forums (original thread is HERE), that allowed us to edit the screen settings natively even on the phones that didn't have the options in the Display settings.

Since we finally got root on the H840 as well, I thought I may as well try it out and BEHOLD! It's working!

It's relatively easy to set up and tweak, even though there's not an app to edit the settings. However, the file that contains them (postproc.conf) is pretty straightforward.

I'm running stock Nougat on my G5 SE (H840), but it should work just fine on any Qualcomm-based devices.

DISCLAIMER: I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE IF YOUR PHONE MISBEHAVES, BLOWS UP OR STOPS LOVING YOU, I TESTED IT ON MINE AND EVERYTHING'S WORKING FINE, BUT THERE'S NO WARRANTY THAT IT WILL WORK ON YOURS AS WELL.

GUIDE:

Download the attached zip, which is just the original zip, from which I edited the config file to better suit our G5, by only adding a little of saturation (original is at 255, I put it at 275 which IMO is the "sweet spot"; everything else is unchanged.)
Setup a script to run at boot, either via init.d or with Rom Toolbox lite (I use it)
The script is
To edit the configuration, simply open the postproc.conf file with any root text editor (I use Solid Explorer's integrated one) and tweak the settings as you like, keeping in mind that 255 is default in case you mess something up ;)

I didn't actually do much for this to work, none of this is my work so please head over to the thread I linked earlier on and thank @savoca for his amazing job :D
Ma devo flashare da twrp?

Sent from my LG-H840 using XDA Labs

Bert98

Jul 24, 2012
Padova
Ma devo flashare da twrp?
Sì, o copiare i due file nelle rispettive cartelle

Comunque è un forum in inglese, quindi cerca almeno di scrivere in tutte e due le lingue se non sei sicuro di riuscire a farti capire in inglese :)

This is an English forum, so please try and write at least in both languages, thank you

Bert98

Jul 24, 2012
Padova
How create script to execute on boot in rom toolbox?
Tap the scripter button in the "tools" section of the app and select the "+" icon on the top right.

One quick question:
The script setup is only necessary if I put the two files manually or also if I flash the zip with TWRP ?

Regards
mkpcxxl
You still need to create it

Could you please take me to a thread about rooting the g5se? So i dont bother you asking here:good:
The is a TWRP thread in the development section, install that and flash SuperSu or Magisk :)

Reactions: Pistacho123Lol