[GUIDE][MOD] Splash Image

reukiodo

May 7, 2009
Kirkland, WA
reukiodo.dyndns.org
Ever since I got S-OFF on my G1, I set up a custom splash image. Here's how to do this on the G2.

Info:
The G2 stores the splash image on the /dev/block/mmcblk0p19 partition. By default, this is a white image with green letters spelling 'htc' in the center of the screen.

Prerequisite:
Install and get familiar with the Android SDK see Android SDK | Android Developers also [HOW-TO] ADB for Dummies(How-To Learner's Guide) G1 Android Development
Unlock your T-Mobile G2 / HTC Desire-Z / HTC Vision see [GUIDE] Perma-root and flash ENG HBOOT
Install FFmpeg
Windows:
Extract the ffmpeg.exe file from the bin folder in ffmpeg-r25512.7z
- or Shortcut - get the getsplash.zip from gariak
Install the adb (Android Composite ADB Interface) and fastboot (Android Bootloader Interface) drivers from the android-sdk-windows\usb_driver folder
Mac:
Might find this ffmpeg guide helpful - An easy install of the ffmpeg command line tool - Mac OS X Hints

Backup: (Optional)
To get the current image from the phone, execute this from a root shell:
Code:
dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p19 of=/mnt/sdcard/splash.img
On your computer, you can turn this into a PNG using ffmpeg from the command line:
Code:
ffmpeg -f rawvideo -pix_fmt rgb565 -s 480x800 -i splash.img -f image2 splash.png
Flash:
You can set the splash by converting an image you want to a 480x800 resolution PNG file, then use ffmpeg to convert it to raw565 format using the command line:
Code:
ffmpeg -i new_splash.png -f rawvideo -pix_fmt rgb565 new_splash.img
Then with an unlocked (S-OFF) bootloader, flash the new_splash.img file to your phone:
Code:
adb reboot bootloader
fastboot flash splash1 new_splash.img
fastboot reboot
OR you can flash from a terminal window on your phone. Be very careful with this method and triple check that you typed everything correctly so you do not accidentally brick your phone:
Code:
dd if=/mnt/sdcard/splash.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p19
References:
Android/HTC/Vision/LinuxAnalysis – TJworld
[Request] MyTouch splash screen?
[TOOL] [Linux / OSX] Splash Screen creator / flasher
gravis86
gariak
An easy install of the ffmpeg command line tool - Mac OS X Hints
wilnotdie

Attachments

Last edited:

g_grey

Nov 6, 2010
very nice, but what about instead of dd the partition you just use fastboot flash and direct it at the splash partition. but idk, i'm a newb

Weaseal

Aug 9, 2009
My cmd sits at "< waiting for device >" - the device is in fastboot and if I reboot the phone I am able to "adb shell" successfully. Any hints? S-OFF and perma-root are done.

EDIT: Nevermind, I got it-needed to install fastboot driver.

Last edited:

reukiodo

May 7, 2009
Kirkland, WA
reukiodo.dyndns.org
If you are using windows, you might have to manually install the fastboot driver the first time you connect it.

Open your device manager without the phone plugged in. Boot to fastboot mode (VOL_D+POWER, then POWER to select fastboot) on your phone. Plug in the phone and watch device manager to see if it finds 'Android Bootloader Interface' or something similar ('HTC Bootloader' is an older driver, but still works). It should show up as USB\VID_0BB4&PID_0FFF if you look at its device id.

If the device is detected as USB\VID_0BB4&PID_0C94, then it's in HBOOT mode, you need to select FASTBOOT from the HBOOT menu (using VOL_U or VOL_D, then POWER to select).

Last edited:

reukiodo

May 7, 2009
Kirkland, WA
reukiodo.dyndns.org
How bout replacing the G2 logo?
Any way we can replace the ugly Tmobile G2 splash picture?
Yes, just push the bootanimation.zip to your sdcard

Code:
adb push bootanimation.zip /mnt/sdcard/bootanimation.zip
then mount the system rw from root terminal on the phone and copy the file

Code:
su
mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/mmcblk0p25 /system
cp /mnt/sdcard/bootanimation.zip /system/media/bootanimation.zip
and then reboot.

Last edited:

reukiodo

May 7, 2009
Kirkland, WA
reukiodo.dyndns.org
Any way to apply the Nexus One/Cyanogen splash animation on the G2?
If someone knows which partition it is stored in, I can dd it. I have CM 6.1 installed on my N1.
The original N1 splash can be found in this post.

The CyanogenMod boot animation can be pulled from the latest nightly. Look in system/media/ for bootanimation.zip and follow the previous post how to apply it to the G2.

Attachments

Last edited:
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone