[GUIDE] Modding the Stock ICS 4.0.3 Launcher | No Search | 4x5 Grid | 1-7+ Screens

Search This thread

djmcnz

Retired Recognized Developer
Oct 13, 2009
Auckland, NZ
OnePlus 8
Google Pixel 8
Introduction
I originally removed the search bar and changed the stock grid in the Galay Naxus ICS launcher (here) and it was a well received mod.

Since Android was updated to 4.0.3 my method broke and needed to be adapted. On top of this a lot of people have asked me how it's done so they can apply it to other ROM's. In the interests of the community I have therefore written some basic instructions to allow you to do this and some other stuff by yourself. I've provided a link below to a Google Doc.

How To
  • Remove the search bar
  • Increase the grid to 4x5 (or anything you like)
  • Decrease the number of home screens below 5
  • Increase the number of home screens above 5

Notes
Note that these are written for a specific version of the launcher and you may need to adapt some things as you go but this will probably make the journey easier.

You will need to know how to use apktool before you start.

All Here

djmcnz

Oct 13, 2009
Auckland, NZ
OnePlus 8
Google Pixel 8
Thank you very much... do you know how to optimize the launcher to be 240 dpi compatible?

No, not off the top of my head, I've never tried.

But I'm pretty sure you'd start with /res/values/dimens.xml. I'd make no other changes first and then just manipulate the grid size and margins/padding a little by little in /res/values/dimens.xml until you got the desired result.

After that you could then proceed to make other changes as required.

If you find the ideal layout for 240 let me know and I'll add it to the doc and provide credit.

Roladriz

Apr 5, 2010
Very nice. So in order to nuke the search bar and keep the native screen layout, could one just edit the search_bar.xml? Or would we need to do the smali edits as well?

Agret

Jun 9, 2010
Melbourne
OnePlus 5T
You're awesome, I used your galaxy nexus apk and just tweaked the values in the xml using your guide so it would display properly on my SGS and i'd get to keep the transparent folder mod you did. Many thanks for the guide and for figuring out the method. It's great having 5 rows and no Google bar :) Now I can use stock launcher as my default again, love the animation while going through app drawer.

craz6r

Sep 26, 2007
Dallas
launcher adjust

I know this an older thread but, I would like to change to the app flow from right to left to up and down if possible in the drawer? cm9 standard launcher. What's the XML edit for it?

djmcnz

Oct 13, 2009
Auckland, NZ
OnePlus 8
Google Pixel 8
Thanks a lot for this! Modded the stock Jellybean Launcher2.apk with the help of your guide!

No problem.

Even though I use Nova I did it too with the JB launcher. I noticed that you can also change a couple of things in dimens and integers too.

Max folder size = 20
folder x = 4
folder y = 5
folder cell width = 85 (or something close to that)

That will also give you 4x5 folders, centred on the screen with 20 items max (instead of 16). Perfect.

I'll update the guide at some time...

mekanismen

Nov 20, 2011
Los Angeles
No problem.

Even though I use Nova I did it too with the JB launcher. I noticed that you can also change a couple of things in dimens and integers too.

Max folder size = 20
folder x = 4
folder y = 5
folder cell width = 85 (or something close to that)

That will also give you 4x5 folders, centred on the screen with 20 items max (instead of 16). Perfect.

I'll update the guide at some time...

Hah yeah I'm using Nova now aswell, for some reason the voice search button on the permanent search bar was still clickable, even though I had made it invisible...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Introduction
    I originally removed the search bar and changed the stock grid in the Galay Naxus ICS launcher (here) and it was a well received mod.

Since Android was updated to 4.0.3 my method broke and needed to be adapted. On top of this a lot of people have asked me how it's done so they can apply it to other ROM's. In the interests of the community I have therefore written some basic instructions to allow you to do this and some other stuff by yourself. I've provided a link below to a Google Doc.

How To
    • Remove the search bar
    • Increase the grid to 4x5 (or anything you like)
    • Decrease the number of home screens below 5
    • Increase the number of home screens above 5

Notes
    Note that these are written for a specific version of the launcher and you may need to adapt some things as you go but this will probably make the journey easier.

You will need to know how to use apktool before you start.

All Here