• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[Guide]Mostly Painless, Root Samsung J3 Emerge Sm-J327p (Boost Mobile)

Was this solution Easy/ Did it work for you?

• Yes Super Simple!

Votes: 24 72.7%
  • No / Confusing

Votes: 4 12.1%
  • Yes / Complicated

Votes: 5 15.2%

• Total voters
Search This thread

RepairChick

Apr 24, 2017
2 j327p bought at same time from same store, different build #

My husband and I both bought the j327p from boost but they have different build numbers. Mine is the same as posted on this thread (MMB29M.J327PVPU1APL1) my husband's I will post shortly... question will be in the next reply (although I'm sure you already know)

ChanceMGibson

Aug 8, 2016
this works with even the current day OTA updates AS Of 03/15/2017
i have a second device which may have an older software version coming today, I will test and update if method works on said software version

FCC ID A3LSMJ327P
Software Version: J327PVPU1APL1
Android Version: 6.0.1
Android Security Patch Level: November 1, 2016
Baseband Version: J327PVPU1APL1
Kernel Version
3.18.24-9931925
[email protected] #1
Fri Dec 1 3:44:16 KST 201

Build Number: MMB29M.J327PVPU1APL1
Security Software Version
ASKS v1.2_161011

Full Details and Screenshots Coming Soon :)

Basics
1. Enable Developer Mode
2. Enable OEM UNLOCK (in Devloper options)
3. Pull Battery > Reinsert
4. Boot into Download Mode (POWER+HOME+VOL DOWN)
5. Press Vol UP at prompt
6. Connect Usb Cable (ensure drivers are installed)
7. Open Odin and select TWRP tar file (IT IS CRITICAL TO UNSELECT AUTO REBOOT IN THE SETTINGS MENU OF OIN!!!)
Zgn3wuK.png

8. Start the twrp recovery flash
9. WAIT 2 MIN. AFTER FLASH THEN PULL BATTERY, THEN REMOVE USB CABLE (your screen should look like the screenshot below before waiting the 2 mins)
nXbmgxL.png

10. HOLD DOWN VOL. UP+ HOME, INSERT BATTERY, THEN PRESS AND ALSO HOLD POWER BUTTON TO BOOT INTO RECOVERY.... DO NOT INTERRUPT THIS PROCESS. ONCE IN RECOVERY WAIT A FULL 45 SECONDS THEN PULL BATTERY.

Now would be a great time to take full backups of your device.....

11. reinsert battery, then boot back into recovery mode, and use twrp install function to install UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.79-20161211114519.zip from the SDCARD (select the auto reboot option)

12. DON'T TOUCH THE PHONE! until it reboots a couple of times and starts up completely
13. OPEN SuperSU app
14. Congratulations your device is rooted!

use root checker to verify

Is this "encryption" what's causing my Internal Storage to appear with 0 MB w/ no files being shown whatsoever in TWRP?

I tried it once and had to restore the phone to its stock firmware through ODIN since it wouldn't work. I wanted to try again, thinking I may have done something wrong: perhaps I needed to install TWRP using an older version of ODIN and now I'm considering an older version of TWRP itself (which I'm almost certain won't do much).

I re-read and re-read and I'm not sure what to do after starting over (again) besides figuring out what that no-verity-no-encrypt zip file can do for me.

I'm wondering if this has happened to others and maybe I'm just not sure how to do it myself, so I could really use some help. How do I get TWRP to show my files so I can actually install SuperSU and root the phone? This is the part I got stuck at before: when I just tried to boot the phone normally, TouchWiz Home, Android Media, Google Play Services, and etc. would just crash OVER and OVER and OVER.

Any respone is truly appreciated.

Danyaelgaina

Dec 10, 2016
Hisar
i have a second device which may have an older software version coming today, I will test and update if method works on said software version

FCC ID A3LSMJ327P
Kernel Version
3.18.24-9931925
[email protected] #1

ASKS v1.2_161011

TWRP can get downloaded from the dedicated TWRP thread (make sure that you read it carefully since it's still a beta version)
SuperSU 2.79 can get downloaded from the dedicated SuperSU thread
Odin 3.12.3 can get downloaded from the dedicated Odin thread

Basics
1. Enable Developer Mode
7. Open Odin and select TWRP tar file (IT IS CRITICAL TO UNSELECT AUTO REBOOT IN THE SETTINGS MENU OF OIN!!!)

9. WAIT 2 MIN. AFTER FLASH THEN PULL BATTERY, THEN REMOVE USB CABLE (your screen should look like the screenshot below before waiting the 2 mins)

10. HOLD DOWN VOL. UP+ HOME, INSERT BATTERY, THEN PRESS AND ALSO HOLD POWER BUTTON TO BOOT INTO RECOVERY.... DO NOT INTERRUPT THIS PROCESS. ONCE IN RECOVERY WAIT A FULL 45 SECONDS THEN PULL BATTERY.

11. reinsert battery, then boot back into recovery mode, and use twrp install function to install UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.79-20161211114519.zip from the SDCARD (select the auto reboot option)

12. DON'T TOUCH THE PHONE! until it reboots a couple of times and starts up completely
13. OPEN SuperSU app

You forgot to tell that if sometime we get bootloop boot into recovery and clear cache and dalvik

Nixestomata

Dec 15, 2016
Is this "encryption" what's causing my Internal Storage to appear with 0 MB w/ no files being shown whatsoever in TWRP?

I tried it once and had to restore the phone to its stock firmware through ODIN since it wouldn't work. I wanted to try again, thinking I may have done something wrong: perhaps I needed to install TWRP using an older version of ODIN and now I'm considering an older version of TWRP itself (which I'm almost certain won't do much).

I re-read and re-read and I'm not sure what to do after starting over (again) besides figuring out what that no-verity-no-encrypt zip file can do for me.

I'm wondering if this has happened to others and maybe I'm just not sure how to do it myself, so I could really use some help. How do I get TWRP to show my files so I can actually install SuperSU and root the phone? This is the part I got stuck at before: when I just tried to boot the phone normally, TouchWiz Home, Android Media, Google Play Services, and etc. would just crash OVER and OVER and OVER.

Any respone is truly appreciated.

yes. It happened to me just today.
If you are getting those errors, do a backup with SmartSwitch ( if you care about data ).
Then boot into TWRP. Click the WIPE box, then do a factory reset ( swipe to factory reset ). Click BACK and then go to WIPE again and FORMAT DATA ( obviously, type yes ).
at this point, you need to check if you can check /data, using the MOUNT box in twrp main screen.
flash the dm-verity zip and supersu 2.79.
No more pop-ups.

Reactions: Tiime

Greaper88

Oct 28, 2014
@ChanceMGibson
The encryption will prevent TWRP from reading the internal user storage. This is easy to circumvent with even a 2GB SD card (cant do a backup though) to put the files onto, as it's not normally encrypted. You may also be able to use an OTG drive, but I haven't tested that. While TWRP shouldn't let you make any changes outside of a factory reset or partition wipe, I'd avoid trying to mess with the /data partition outside of the main OS.

Last edited:

Mudiver

Sep 18, 2013
Richmond
Samsung Galaxy S8+
Samsung Galaxy Pop SM- J327A (2017)

view
I have a SM-J327A my AT&T store just go it in for the first time. Only cost 125 dollars. Its chip set is an ARM cortex A53, Exynos quad 7570 Chip set, thats an all in one chip 1st on a cheap phone, 14 nm, everything is all built at the same time, but no Wi-Fi dialing, no WIFI 5 GHz and its missing mirroring plus other features I suspect they are on that chipset, but locked. GPU is a ARM T720, how's to root this thing. I am one good bricker so I prefer these cheap phones.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170529-153224.png
    Screenshot_20170529-153224.png
    116 KB · Views: 492
Last edited:

BURNTROACH

Jun 27, 2017
knox in
SM-J327A

DID you ever come across a way to get root on the Samsung Sm-j327a aka galaxy express prime 2? i have been searching a way to do this but haven't had any luck any ideas?

view
I have a SM-J327A my AT&T store just go it in for the first time. Only cost 125 dollars. Its chip set is an ARM cortex A53, Exynos quad 7570 Chip set, thats an all in one chip 1st on a cheap phone, 14 nm, everything is all built at the same time, but no Wi-Fi dialing, no WIFI 5 GHz and its missing mirroring plus other features I suspect they are on that chipset, but locked. GPU is a ARM T720, how's to root this thing. I am one good bricker so I prefer these cheap phones.

Sands207

Oct 13, 2014
Portland,Maine
Hey guys im a little late to the party. I've been working on LGELS676 for the past year and my lady and i picked up two of these the other day. There is an ota update nagging me pretty much constantly, I haven't been able to get to a pc yet to use ODIN but im wondering... Should i ignore the update? I had bad luck with build MXB48T with fastboot being removed/inaccessible on LG Tribute Hd so im not sure if thats what the OTA is. I'll attach a screenshot of my current build info, could someone please advise? I can help with ROM development if needed, I haven't had root on a phone in a year so im hoping to hop back in and I use linux daily so i could build stuff from source. Thanks if anyone can help!! :) Screenshot_20170702-095339.png

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

ritz_ambivert

Aug 1, 2017
Boost/sprint network lock

Good day house. Please I'm having an issue with my Samsung sm-j327p. It tells me invalid card. Meaning its lock to a network. I read on some site where i was asked to dial *#0011# to get into service menu, which i did. Next was to select key input and type 1 and nothing happens after i key in 1 and select ok. My device is roited also. Please kindly assist to help me unlock the the network on the phone. Thanks in advance folks

Sands207

Oct 13, 2014
Portland,Maine
Good day house. Please I'm having an issue with my Samsung sm-j327p. It tells me invalid card. Meaning its lock to a network. I read on some site where i was asked to dial *#0011# to get into service menu, which i did. Next was to select key input and type 1 and nothing happens after i key in 1 and select ok. My device is roited also. Please kindly assist to help me unlock the the network on the phone. Thanks in advance folks
Have you tried reflashing your modem using odin?

raulrocks

Sep 18, 2017

I followed the directions here was quite happy to find that it worked on the 2 phones I tried it on (yay, thanks!), but I rooted before one of the phones was activated and in hindsight, I think that was obviously a stupid mistake because as it tried to activate it booted to the TWRP recovery screen and wouldn't go past it. I ended re-trying steps 9-12 (essentially reinstalling SuperSU) and it booted (yay!). I still have a couple of questions though:

1. When I first opened SuperSU it asked if I wanted to try to disable Knox and I didn't. Should I have done that?
  2. I would love to have a permanently rooted phone (because why wouldn't you), but there's only a couple of "deal breakers" I need the root for, so if this could be a potential ongoing issue can I unroot and keep my couple of changes? If so, how would I unroot without wiping everything?

I haven't rooted a phone in a while (since my GS3) and it seems like the security has gotten harder to get past. Any help would be appreciated.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

FCC ID A3LSMJ327P
    Kernel Version
    3.18.24-9931925
    [email protected] #1

ASKS v1.2_161011

Basics
    1. Enable Developer Mode
    Zgn3wuK.png

nXbmgxL.png

13. OPEN SuperSU app

FCC ID A3LSMJ327P
    Kernel Version
    3.18.24-9931925
    [email protected] #1

ASKS v1.2_161011

MD5 checksum for RAR: 5704d637b682c6535ca4a71fe0050950

add the below line to the end of https dropbox dotcom (you only need the .rar which has all necessary files inside it)
    /sh/trq4kwbnfmmr0cg/AABMJsuMw-lgg7-G_hac8z0_a?dl=0

AndroidFileHost[dotcom]?fid=457095661767144821

Basics
    1. Enable Developer Mode
    9. WAIT 2 MIN. AFTER FLASH THEN PULL BATTERY, THEN REMOVE USB CABLE

13. OPEN SuperSU app

freekin awesome!!!!!
    RESERVED
    Links Have been updated to be clickable (XDA 10 post minimum requirement)
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/an...overy-twrp-3-1-0-1-samsung-galaxy-j3-t3573607

Feel free to redirect to official root thread for J327p aka J3 emerge .....as this was the original file for twrp and the first way root came to this device it's only right.....sorry Tyson but credit is given to dev. Ashyx for bringing this device to working root ..thanks again Ash!

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk