[GUIDE] Moto G4 Plus HardBrick SOLVED - ULTIMATE UNBRICKING GUIDE

Is your device is back to life using this method?

• Yes

Votes: 118 67.4%
  • No

Votes: 57 32.6%

• Total voters
Search This thread

Travmanman

Dec 12, 2017
Halfway there, running into errors

I'm working on a XT1625. I've got the blankflash on the phone. I have the Motorola Drivers installed. I've disabled driver verification.

I'm having issues with flashing the gpt.bin, here is the command I'm using an the errors I'm getting. any help is appreciated.

mfastboot flash partition gpt.bin
target max-sparse-size: 256MB
sending 'partition' (32 KB)...
OKAY [ 0.006s]
writing 'partition'...
(bootloader) Security version downgrade

(bootloader) Image primary_gpt failed validation

(bootloader) Preflash validation failed
FAILED (remote failure)
finished. total time: 0.070s

echo92

Jan 1, 2017
Plymouth
I'm working on a XT1625. I've got the blankflash on the phone. I have the Motorola Drivers installed. I've disabled driver verification.

I'm having issues with flashing the gpt.bin, here is the command I'm using an the errors I'm getting. any help is appreciated.

If you've got a US retail XT1625, try flashing this NPJ25.93-14.7 stock ROM, should be the latest firmware for retail (non Amazon) devices on the retUS channel. https://androidfilehost.com/?fid=817906626617945295

Alternatively, try with the September GPT and bootloader too that's linked in the opening post. You're likely getting those errors from attempting to flash a GPT/bootloader older than what's on your device.

Reactions: Travmanman

Travmanman

Dec 12, 2017
If you've got a US retail XT1625, try flashing this NPJ25.93-14.7 stock ROM, should be the latest firmware for retail (non Amazon) devices on the retUS channel.

Alternatively, try with the September GPT and bootloader too that's linked in the opening post. You're likely getting those errors from attempting to flash a GPT/bootloader older than what's on your device.

Totally was the September GPT, that did the trick! thanks!

echo92

Jan 1, 2017
Plymouth
Hola, en el bankflash hace algunos procedimientos, pero luego de unos minutos sale error, que puede ser? help

1) Please post in English.
2)From the translator, you mentioned errors, what errors are you getting?
3)You may have to try the blankflash linked in this thread a few times to get it working.

Reactions: ArthasKing

ArthasKing

Dec 6, 2017
São Paulo, SP
It didn't install Qualcomm Drivers

My Moto G4 Plus bricked and I could make the blank flash. It woke up. But it is stacked on Fastboot screen. When I start entering the commands, shows me the following message.

fastboot oem fb_mode_set
Code:
FAILED (remote failure)
finished. total time: 0.008s

fastboot flash partition gpt.bin

Code:
target reported max download size of 536870912 bytes
OKAY [  0.010s]
writing 'partition'...

FAILED (remote failure)
finished. total time: 0.098s

I found lots of tutorials saying that the mobile has to be recognized as Qualcomm HS-USB QDLoader 9008, but it doesn't happen with me. It's recognized as Fastboot athene_16mp S, even when I install the Qualcomm drivers, it doesn't work. My computer just recognizes it when I install the Motorola Device Manager, but it doesn't exit from a Fastboot screen.

echo92

Jan 1, 2017
Plymouth
My Moto G4 Plus bricked and I could make the blank flash. It woke up. But it is stacked on Fastboot screen. When I start entering the commands, shows me the following message.

fastboot oem fb_mode_set
Code:
FAILED (remote failure)
finished. total time: 0.008s

Code:
target reported max download size of 536870912 bytes
OKAY [  0.010s]
writing 'partition'...

FAILED (remote failure)
finished. total time: 0.098s

I found lots of tutorials saying that the mobile has to be recognized as Qualcomm HS-USB QDLoader 9008, but it doesn't happen with me. It's recognized as Fastboot athene_16mp S, even when I install the Qualcomm drivers, it doesn't work. My computer just recognizes it when I install the Motorola Device Manager, but it doesn't exit from a Fastboot screen.

As you have used the blank flash, you seen to have brought your device out of the Qualcomm HS USB mode. You appear to be past that step as your device is now reporting itself to your computer as athene_16mp S. Try unplugging your device (whilst it's still booted into the bootloader) and reconnect, see your computer detects it properly.

With the GPT and bootloader, you're getting those errors as you're attempting to flash files older than what is on your device. I would suggest trying the September 2017 GPT and bootloader files as listed on the opening post or attempt to flash one of the latest stock ROMs we have then try to reboot.

I would also suggest deleting any old stock ROMs you have, else you may hard brick again. If you really wish to downgrade your stock Motorola ROM, do not accept OTA updates whatsoever.

Reactions: ArthasKing

ArthasKing

Dec 6, 2017
São Paulo, SP
As you have used the blank flash, you seen to have brought your device out of the Qualcomm HS USB mode. You appear to be past that step as your device is now reporting itself to your computer as athene_16mp S. Try unplugging your device (whilst it's still booted into the bootloader) and reconnect, see your computer detects it properly.

With the GPT and bootloader, you're getting those errors as you're attempting to flash files older than what is on your device. I would suggest trying the September 2017 GPT and bootloader files as listed on the opening post or attempt to flash one of the latest stock ROMs we have then try to reboot.

I would also suggest deleting any old stock ROMs you have, else you may hard brick again. If you really wish to downgrade your stock Motorola ROM, do not accept OTA updates whatsoever.

Amazing!!!! All the time I was trying to upload old files. I was trying to install the Qualcomm drivers. I did what you said and it worked. My phone had bricked once I was asked to make a security update.
But, I cannot make OTA anymore? What I have to do if I got another update? I am stuck on this version forever?

Thanks a lot @echo92! You saved me!!!

Outfield303

Nov 6, 2016
Amazing!!!! All the time I was trying to upload old files. I was trying to install the Qualcomm drivers. I did what you said and it worked. My phone had bricked once I was asked to make a security update.
But, I cannot make OTA anymore? What I have to do if I got another update? I am stuck on this version forever?

Thanks a lot @echo92! You saved me!!!

Nope, you're not stuck;
Just flash the latest stock rom as of now have Sept Security Patch from here : https://forum.xda-developers.com/moto-g4-plus/how-to/stock-rom-npjs25-93-14-4-march-1-t3608138
and then you're good to go... but from now make sure you don't flash any older firmware and take OTAs cause it can brick you phone again...
Good Luck!

echo92

Jan 1, 2017
Plymouth
guys please help me. my device is not recognising in my pc. pls help me

how is your device not recognised? Is it not showing up at all or is it being registered as HS-USB 9008 or similar in device manager? Do you have the Motorola USB drivers installed and, if you're booting your device to fastboot/bootloader, do you have driver signature enforcement disabled on your computer?

vijairozario

Dec 19, 2017
how is your device not recognised? Is it not showing up at all or is it being registered as HS-USB 9008 or similar in device manager? Do you have the Motorola USB drivers installed and, if you're booting your device to fastboot/bootloader, do you have driver signature enforcement disabled on your computer?

thank u so much bro. my device got life again

nittinarya25

Feb 26, 2014
Device Still led blinking after installing Stock rom

Hello Admin, First of all very thankfull and congratulations to you that you are providing steps to the people that bricked his device accidently/ device error.
In my case i have done all your steps, after your first step i got an waiting for device error-> but in next step you mentioned Motorola device drivers -> installed-> waiting for device resolved-> now after your all codes i followed->fastboot flash partition gpt.bin
fastboot flash bootloader bootloader.img
fastboot reboot-bootloader ******
-> But after this step cmd prompt was showing fastboot reboot -> still moto g4 plus not responding(only led blinking)... i didn't see fastboot screen in my device
-> and when i came to the last step
Download it and then just extract it in and don't forget copy ADB and the fastboot files into that folder. Once done then Hold shift and press right key on mouse then select Open Command window here from that menu.
then use this code to flash stock ROM :

Code:
fastboot oem fb_mode_set
fastboot flash logo logo.bin
fastboot flash boot boot.img
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
fastboot flash dsp adspso.bin
fastboot flash oem oem.img
fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.0
fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.1
fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.2
fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.3
fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.4
fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.5
fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.6
fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.7
fastboot flash modem NON-HLOS.bin
fastboot erase modemst1
fastboot erase modemst2
fastboot flash fsg fsg.mbn
fastboot erase cache
fastboot erase userdata
fastboot erase customize
fastboot erase clogo
fastboot oem fb_mode_clear
fastboot reboot
pause
And that's it!! You will get your Athene Back to Life
I got my Athene back to life using this method............
********** all cmd commands was gone correct-> in last cmd prompt shows pause-> but device still led blinking
-> Please help admin...:(
THANKS

echo92

Jan 1, 2017
Plymouth
Hello Admin, First of all very thankfull and congratulations to you that you are providing steps to the people that bricked his device accidently/ device error.
In my case i have done all your steps, after your first step i got an waiting for device error-> but in next step you mentioned Motorola device drivers -> installed-> waiting for device resolved-> now after your all codes i followed->fastboot flash partition gpt.bin
fastboot reboot-bootloader ******
-> But after this step cmd prompt was showing fastboot reboot -> still moto g4 plus not responding(only led blinking)... i didn't see fastboot screen in my device
-> and when i came to the last step
all cmd commands was gone correct-> in last cmd prompt shows pause-> but device still led blinking
-> Please help admin...:(
THANKS

1) Were you able to run the blankflash? If so, what does your device show up as now in Device Manager?
2)Does typing 'fastboot devices' in ADB (whilst having your device connected in bootloader mode) return your device serial number?
3)Try unplugging your device and reconnecting - perhaps your computer will properly sense the device.
4)What are the results of the commands you entered? Can you paste them here or upload them in a text file please?
5)How did you brick your device initially and what device do you have?

nittinarya25

Feb 26, 2014
1) Were you able to run the blankflash? If so, what does your device show up as now in Device Manager?
2)Does typing 'fastboot devices' in ADB (whilst having your device connected in bootloader mode) return your device serial number?
3)Try unplugging your device and reconnecting - perhaps your computer will properly sense the device.
4)What are the results of the commands you entered? Can you paste them here or upload them in a text file please?
5)How did you brick your device initially and what device do you have?

Thanks for replying admin
1) Yes i am able to run bank flash- but bank flash showing waiting for device(even after installing Motorola device manager drivers)
b) In Device Manager- unknown device with yellow icon.
2) no
3) I have tried many times
4)
[/IMG]
5) MOTO-G4 plus (XT-1643), first my device was having only led blinking error after i have searched for this error - in result i found that press volume - + power button together for more than 2 minutes. I have tried this many times and after long 4 hours my device got started while holding these two buttons(volume- and power button) and after this my device shows me my phone is charging and after this my device started.
But after this i tried to hard reset my device by choosing wipe all data and delete all user data and while this process my device got stuck in this process for more than 10 minutes. and in the next step was my biggest mistake i have done by pressing volume down key + power button and after this my device gone in previously same situation (only led blinking while charging).
and after this i found your this page, i have tried all this steps but after finishing installation device was not responding only led blinking

echo92

Jan 1, 2017
Plymouth
Thanks for replying admin
1) Yes i am able to run bank flash- but bank flash showing waiting for device(even after installing Motorola device manager drivers)
b) In Device Manager- unknown device with yellow icon.
2) no
3) I have tried many times
4)
[/IMG]
5) MOTO-G4 plus (XT-1643), first my device was having only led blinking error after i have searched for this error - in result i found that press volume - + power button together for more than 2 minutes. I have tried this many times and after long 4 hours my device got started while holding these two buttons(volume- and power button) and after this my device shows me my phone is charging and after this my device started.
But after this i tried to hard reset my device by choosing wipe all data and delete all user data and while this process my device got stuck in this process for more than 10 minutes. and in the next step was my biggest mistake i have done by pressing volume down key + power button and after this my device gone in previously same situation (only led blinking while charging).
and after this i found your this page, i have tried all this steps but after finishing installation device was not responding only led blinking

Thanks for the response, I'm not an admin but will try to help you as much as you can.
1)That suggests that the blankflash can't communicate with your device (which is supported by the fact your device is showing up as unknown in Device Manager). You wrote in your previous post that the 'waiting for device' was resolved though?
2)Again, supports 1) that your device can't talk to your computer.

Do you have driver signature enforcement enabled if you're using a Windows computer? If so, or are not sure, try to disable driver signature enforcement and attempt to use the blankflash again. I'm aware that driver signature enforcement may block fastboot drivers (or non Windows signed drivers) from loading, so by disabling signature enforcement you may be able to load the fastboot drivers and may be able to use the blankflash. Alternatively, you could right click on the unknown device and try to install the drivers manually (from the Motorola drivers you installed on your computer). The screenshot I've linked is what my device - booted into the bootloader - looks like in Device Manager when it's attached to my computer via USB. Note the red box and the listing of Motorola ADB Interface. You may wish to verify you see something similar, or if not, try to install the drivers shown. I have a Windows 10 PC with a XT1642, with Motorola USB 2.5.4 drivers installed (from here: https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/answers/prod_detail/a_id/79106/p/30,75,27, )

Also ensure you're using the latest blankflash as provided in the opening post.

However, what you describe in 5) does sound like hardware failure, which a blankflash may not solve. However, try with the suggestions above and see how you get on.

Attachments

• Drivers.jpg
    Drivers.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 90
Reactions: Outfield303

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Disclaimer :
    Code:
      #include<disclaimer.h>
     I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
     thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. 
     YOU are choosing to make these modifications,
     and if you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
     and also I shall not guarantee this method will work on your device.

Hello guys,

as you guys know lots of Athenes are bricked due to the last June security patch and latest blankflash's also were not working.
    and there was also some confusion between which blankflash to flash and which boot-loader and gpt files to flash.. So I will try to clarify this confusion at my best..... :)
    so lets get started......

So, First of all download the latest BlankFlash by @marcelofilgueira [ MANY MANY HUGE THANKS TO HIM ]
    Here : https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9rhtqQ4ZTDnTWdpX3ZaVk1pNk0/view

There is a New BlankFlash file Provided by @rajatgupta1998
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=79013024&postcount=523
    It is available here: https://androidfilehost.com/?fid=1395089523397903736
    I can't test this blankflash because I don't have G4 Plus anymore...

and Then connect your phone to PC( Your phone should Be detected as QualcommLoader or something like that in device manager under the ports section )
    Once connected, extract the Blankflash zip and run Blank-Flash.bat

A command window will be open and it will flash some files to your phone....
    after 5-6 sec, your Phone will be rebooted to Fastboot Mode :D First sign of Life.... lol
    But process is not over yet....

Now download the latest Bootloader and GPT files for the version NPJS25.93-14-8 Thanks to @tywinlannister7 and @echo92
    HERE : https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-GUyOfb8Ogzamt6ME5fYncwdjg
    And if above files won't work then here are the Sept Patch Files of GPT and Bootloader : https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-GUyOfb8Ogzc25FdW1WUDBMS1U/view
    and Also here are the GPT and boot-loader files for December patch if above won't worked : https://drive.google.com/open?id=1IfAX7v94ooB5wS7KTJGNYfQ2kXkHxP80
    and extract them into New folder. and don't forget to copy ADB and the fastboot files into that folder.
    ADB and Fastboot DOWNLOAD HERE : https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=673368273298979521
    Hold Shift key and press right key on the mouse and click on open command window in that folder and Paste the following command and then press Enter :
    Code:
    fastboot reboot-bootloader

Once done then You can see the Fastboot mode on your screen ;)....

The next step is easy, You just need to flash stock ROM, But you just can't flash older ROM i.e. downgrade this time, Otherwise your device can be bricked again...

So I will recommend you to download latest ROM NPJS25.93-14-10 and Flash it. Thanks to @tywinlannister7 for providing the ROM
    DOWNLOAD LINK : https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9tngVBGIajVQkQtLUUxR2NOTnc
    LATEST DECEMBER ROM: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=745849072291698845
    Download it and then just extract it in and don't forget copy ADB and the fastboot files into that folder. Once done then Hold shift and press right key on mouse then select Open Command window here from that menu.
    then use this code to flash stock ROM :

Code:
    fastboot oem fb_mode_set
    fastboot flash logo logo.bin
    fastboot flash boot boot.img
    fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
    fastboot flash dsp adspso.bin
    fastboot flash oem oem.img
    fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.0
    fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.1
    fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.2
    fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.3
    fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.4
    fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.5
    fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.6
    fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.7
    fastboot flash modem NON-HLOS.bin
    fastboot erase modemst1 
    fastboot erase modemst2 
    fastboot flash fsg fsg.mbn
    fastboot erase cache 
    fastboot erase userdata 
    fastboot erase customize
    fastboot erase clogo
    fastboot oem fb_mode_clear
    fastboot reboot
    pause
    And that's it!! You will get your Athene Back to Life :cool:
    I got my Athene back to life using this method............
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IMPORTANT NOTE:
    If You've Updated your Device to the February Security Patch Then this method probably won't work because the GPT and boot-loader version is higher then the version included inside the BlankFlash
    So Be Careful...!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now anyone who's getting errors, see post #2

Credits :

blankflash.zip provided by @marcelofilgueira HUGE THANKS TO HIM
    Thanks to @strongst for being always there to help
    Thanks to tywinlannister7 for latest June Stock ROM
    and also thanks to you guys for reading this........

if you like my work then please HIT that THANKS button
    Reserved 1

Now anyone who is getting 'Waiting for devices' error while flashing, here are some tips to fix it :

1) Remove the USB cable and reinsert it
    2) Make Sure your device is detected in Bootloader interface aka Fastboot mode, you can simple see your device listed in device manager.
    3) Install Motorola Driver IF you haven't Installed it yet. Because it can be the main reason for this error. Download it from motorola website: http://motorola-mobility-en-in.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/88481
    Reserved 2

Get latest Stock Firmware for any model of Moto G4 and G4+
    from here : https://forum.xda-developers.com/moto-g4-plus/how-to/stock-rom-npjs25-93-14-4-march-1-t3608138
    :fingers-crossed:
    Here's a new blankflash file from OPJ28.72 build, this should work on OPJ28.111-22 as the bootloader version is same.
    Obviously I can't test it since I haven't bricked my phone. Any other news shall be given out whenever it appears.

Download:
    blankflash_athene_8.1.0_OPJ28.72.zip
    MD5: ada83fc6809218084739ca0cc87c9f4a

;)
    We need a updated blank flash i... Cos have install latest bootloader
    Can you please stop posting repeatedly in a demanding way? There's no newer blank flash at the moment so you have to wait if you don't want to spent money.

Every android release users don't read/search before downgrading and taking ota and complain that there's no solution asap.
    You cannot expect that people fix YOUR faults if you have no patience.

Thanks for understanding:)

PS @echo92: as I expected https://forum.xda-developers.com/mo...-g4-starting-to-receive-t3839072/post77547833
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone