[Guide] Multi Boot Note 5

Search This thread

Emblema

Jun 5, 2006
Cagliari
I've a 920-cd and after flash the recovery image my cell phone gave a message, kernel boot too long, and switch off. I put the old twrp with odin and all works fine.

Sent from my SM-920CD

54NJ41

Jan 21, 2010
Gods own country
I've a 920-cd and after flash the recovery image my cell phone gave a message, kernel boot too long, and switch off. I put the old twrp with odin and all works fine.

Sent from my SM-920CD

First of all when flashing the recovry, which rom were you using (primary or secondary). if you where on secondary just switch to primary rom and then flash the moded recovery. and dont reboot directly to the rom, first reboot to the recovery and check recovery is booting properly. if it is then boot to your primary rom. then try to switch to secondary. if you get any trouble while booting to secondary rom then flash the patched kernel and try again.

Last edited:

Emblema

Jun 5, 2006
Cagliari
First of all when flashing the recovry, which rom were you using (primary or secondary). if you where on secondary just switch to primary rom and then flash the moded recovery. and dont reboot directly to the rom, first reboot to the recovery and check recovery is booting properly. if it is then boot to your primary rom. then try to switch to secondary. if you get any trouble while booting to secondary rom then flash the patched kernel and try again.

Hi dude,

download from http://twrp.me/ the latest 3.0.2-2 for our noblelte and flash with ODIN, then your App, works very well, now I'm switching from first and second (and vice) witch a click.

Now I'm learn to share app from first to second, and the App ask me to update mbtool.

What about this? Any piece of advice?

Thank you so much.

Reactions: 54NJ41

54NJ41

Jan 21, 2010
Gods own country
Hi dude,

download from http://twrp.me/ the latest 3.0.2-2 for our noblelte and flash with ODIN, then your App, works very well, now I'm switching from first and second (and vice) witch a click.

Now I'm learn to share app from first to second, and the App ask me to update mbtool.

What about this? Any piece of advice?

Thank you so much.

For some it was not working that's why I moded the recovery.

Go to primary rom and open dual boot app go to rom and go to the settings of the primary rom then update ramdisk.

The start sharing apps. And for your information it will wipe app data of the shared app.

Emblema

Jun 5, 2006
Cagliari
How many time need this process, because I'm trying but the app stay "update ram disk wait please" but after 10 minutes nothing happened..

Sent from my SM-920CD

Emblema

Jun 5, 2006
Cagliari
It only takes a few seconds to do that. Did you grand su permission for the app?

Yes I did.

It started but never finished.. I must kill the app then switch on secondary rom the MultiBoot App advice that the MD5 of the primary is changed, after that I must flash the kernel.

If you have any piece of advice is good by the way, it's perfect!! ;)

54NJ41

Jan 21, 2010
Gods own country
Yes I did.

It started but never finished.. I must kill the app then switch on secondary rom the MultiBoot App advice that the MD5 of the primary is changed, after that I must flash the kernel.

If you have any piece of advice is good by the way, it's perfect!! ;)
Never faced any issues like that. Which kernel you are using on primary rom.

Try flashing a different kernel for your primary rom and try again to update ramdisk.

Planet Z !!

Feb 14, 2013
Working wonderfully on sprint note 5. Primary rom moar 4.0, secondary rom cm13 unnofficial. No issues with switch back from secondary to primary for me. Thanks for this awesome tool.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Reactions: 54NJ41

phil.asmar

Sep 4, 2012
For everyone who are having issues with multiboot like setting kernel in secondary rom etc.
Download this Moded TWRP.3.0.2.0 nobleltezt and flash it in recovery. it will fix all the issues with dualboot patcher and work like a charm. if your recovery is different send it to me and i will modify it and send it back to you.

This is tested on N920C. it should work on other devices also. please follow the instruction below:

As a precaution have your TWRP recovery ready before trying this.
In case you encounter any trouble just flash your TWRP recovery through Odin.

First download the Moded TWRP.3.0.2.0 nobleltezt and copy to your internal storage.
Now boot to recovery and navigate to the location and select image from the bottom of TWRP so you can see the Moded TWRP.3.0.2.0.img.
Select it and then select recovery and flash it. then reboot to recovery to see everything is working properly.
Now you are good to go and flash any patched rom, kernel, etc. and everything will work on all the roms.

all the credit goes to @vitaly51370 who give me some tips for the fix. thanks bro....
Hello,

I have tried the above steps but i am getting a boot loop when i flash the modded TWRP.
Any ideas?

sa3d12

Mar 30, 2012
Egypt
Hello, I tried using stock twrp and the modded recovery but same results, secondary roms don't boot except for cm 13 the only rom which is booting successfully.
Variant : n920c
Primary rom: Infinity P3.1
Secondary roms failed attempts :
CrissCross v6
RR5.1
ArnieMaster v3 and v4
Tekhd ERv13.7

Reactions: smegg

smegg

Jun 28, 2011
ballarat
Hello, I tried using stock twrp and the modded recovery but same results, secondary roms don't boot except for cm 13 the only rom which is booting successfully.
Variant : n920c
Primary rom: Infinity P3.1
Secondary roms failed attempts :
CrissCross v6
RR5.1
ArnieMaster v3 and v4
Tekhd ERv13.7
Same here dude..trying to fix but no luck so far on n920i [emoji4]

Sent from my SM-N930F using Tapatalk

Reactions: sa3d12

DaouiHou

Mar 14, 2014
Hi i have a problem but i dont know where is my mistake
I have note 5 n920c (dual sim but n920c )marshmallow 6.0.1 stock rom- rooted- twrp recovery
I did all the steps as well.. when i flash the second rom and i reboot the phone shows up kernel is not seandroid.... in red and the phone reboot one more time to recovery. Try with many roms and no thing :(
Any idea any help plz

Last edited:

smegg

Jun 28, 2011
ballarat
Hi i have a problem but i dont know where is my mistake
I have note 5 n920c (dual sim but n920c )marshmallow 6.0.1 stock rom- rooted- twrp recovery
I did all the steps as well.. when i flash the second rom and i reboot the phone shows up kernel is not seandroid.... in red and the phone reboot one more time to recovery. Try with many roms and no thing :(
Any idea any help plz
I'm pretty sure that the dual boot app has trouble modifying the new se android policy on 6-01 and up kernels from Samsung. the dev for the app is aware and working on a solution. Maybe fix on 8.1 release soon. fingers crossed !

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

Reactions: DaouiHou

DaouiHou

Mar 14, 2014
I'm pretty sure that the dual boot app has trouble modifying the new se android policy on 6-01 and up kernels from Samsung. the dev for the app is aware and working on a solution. Maybe fix on 8.1 release soon. fingers crossed !

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

Thnx so much for replay .. hope so soon
:)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [Guide] Multi Boot Note 5

I am using this on SM-N920C of the Note 5; I believe this will work with other Note 5 Variants as well. Sprint variant already confirmed. Others who have different variants which are not tested can try this and update us, and we will be here to help you out if you are ready to try this out.

@chenxiaolong is the one who made this happen to our beloved Note 5

Main advantage of this is you can try any new rom with out loosing or having any kind of trouble with your existing rom. This mod will not change anything in your primary rom, so any time you can go back to your normal state.

Disclaimer
    1.I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,etc.
    2.Before going further! YOU are choosing to make these modifications.

supported Devices: ( Tested and confirmed working)
    SM-N920C : noblelte (Tested by me )
    SM-N900P (Sprint): nobleltespr (Tested )

Requirements
    * Read the full guide before Starting.
    * Backup your phone if you are doing this first time. (Full Nandroid backup recommended for the new comers and it’s also recommended to others who don’t know what they are doing exactly even if they have multi booted several times)
    * Rooted Note 5 with custom recovery (preferred TWRP or philz).

* free space in your internal SD (for example a TW rom could take up to 6.5GB )
    * If you face any trouble please read the FAQ before doing something or asking for help. And if you want help please provide as much as details(device, roms, etc.) you can.

Instruction:

1.Download your desired Rom which you want to use for multi booting and the mods, addons, Kernel etc for the same. Keep the files in your internal memory.
    2. Download the most recent snapshot release of Dual Boot Patcher and install it on your Note 5.
    3. Open Dual Boot Patcher and grant SU permission. Then go to ROMS and you will see your Primary rom, press the 3dotmenu key and click "set kernel".
    4. Then In Dual Boot Patcher go to Patch Zip File and Choose nobleltespr - samsung galaxy note 5 from the device drop down menu.
    5. In the Partition configuration drop down menu select "Data Slot".
    6. Below that you have to enter the ID of the secondary rom.(Example 1, 2, 3, etc. - it will take it as /data/multiboot/data-slot-1)
    7.Now tap on the below button to choose the ROM's, Kernel and mods to patch them and make them perfect for Multi booting.
    8. Always remember to keep same slot ID for the kernels and mods same as the rom. (Example: if you want to flash the kernel to the data-slot-1 rom then you have to select the same ID that’s 1 or if you want to flash the kernel to the data-slot-2 rom then you have to select the same ID that’s 2.)
    9. Now press the tap to begin patching button to patch the file. And you will get a new patched zip file in the same location.
    10. patch the kernel also for your rom with same id because most if the roms comes with out kernel so we have to patch the kernel and flash it along with the rom.
    11. Now Boot into custom recovery and flash the new patched rom followed by the patched kernel without wiping anything and reboot.
    12. And your device will boot into New Rom.
    13.Install the Dual Boot Patcher app and set the kernel for your second ROM as well.
    14. To switch between roms
    •Open Dual Boot Patcher app/roms and click on primary or secondary rom as you like and reboot.
    * Important things to keep in mind: while installing a rom or mod with Aroma installer don't reboot directly from the aroma.
    You have to always uncheck the last option to reboot in aroma and click finish. So it can finish the final steps for multi booting.
    And if you miss that it will only reboot to recovery. To boot back you have to flash your primary rom kernel or re-flash the patched rom.

Never update a secondary rom through OTA Update.

Revert

To revert back or if you face any problem just flash my Multi Boot cleaner.zip which will wipe all the installation files from \system and restore the primary rom kernel.

As a backup keep a copy of your kernel flashable zip file.

FAQ

1. App sharing?
    Ans. Will be added shortly.
    3. This rom can’t be patched.
    Ans. some roms are not supported its known, if the Dev have time may be he will consider including them.
    4. I am getting error while using the dual boot app.
    Ans. http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=67198156&postcount=120
    Add ro.patcher.device=noblelte to the bottom of your built.prop and your problem will be solved.
    if your device is different from the above mentioned then add your product name instead of "noblelte"
    if you don't know how to add this make a request with your product name, so i will make a flashable zip for that.

Credits/ Thanks:
    @chenxiaolong
    Original Thread: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=45659284
    Don't forget to thank him and if you can please consider a small donation for him because he really deserve it.

@aukhan & Team Emotroid
    His Thread (Where I got the idea and help to make this guide): http://xdaforums.com/note-4/general/dual-boot-n910f-snap-dragon-variant-t3065211

@rlorange for the help and support.
    His thread for Dual boot backup and restore app. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2491299, http://xdaforums.com/note-4/orig-development/20-4-15-multi-boot-backup-restore-v1-0-t3087187

@AholicCert for helping me with some scripts

@ other XDAmembers

My Note 3 multi boot guide: http://xdaforums.com/galaxy-note-3/themes-apps/guide-dual-boot-note-3-t3091764/post60326851#post60326851

My Primary ROM: khongloi_Note7_v15

1 - go into root explorer edit your build.prop and change all nobleltetmo to noblelte

2 - add this to the end of your build.prop: ro.patcher.device=noblelte
    and then reboot normal

3 - follow the instructions #1 OP and download dualboot apk
    Maybe some things have changed due to app updates.

This video helped me a lot, you have to choose the option note5 sprint It's the only note5
    https://youtu.be/_jyqfAcqO4g
    can you port it to s6?
    It will work with s6 also. You can follow the same instructions.

In the device drop down you have to select s6 flat/edge.

And the rest is same as note 5 guide.

if there is more requests, i can make a guide for s6 as well. for that i need a tester to confirm its working. i know its already working. but just in case. also as long as the moderators allows i will give support for that thread.
    Thanks for creating this thread! I just got myself an S6 Edge+, so expect top-notch support for these new Galaxy devices :D

here you go, just flash it in the recovery. and give me your feedback.