• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[GUIDE][MULTIBOOT] Multiboot ROMs on Lenovo K3 Note

Search This thread

TheDarkKnight

Apr 5, 2013
Kerala
I'm NOT the developer/creator of this app/method. Chenxiaolong is. Here's the link to the official thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2447534

Credits: @chenxiaolong - This guy is just great. Our device required many additional hacks and changes to work because of its crappy closed-source update-binary and closed-source Mediatek sources. This awesome dev had to work a lot to get this work fully on our device. Yes, he did. Debug builds, logs, debugging, reworking and all, and he never stopped. That's just amazing. So, I want to thank him wherever you see his post and if you can PLEASE donate as your token of appreciation. :good::fingers-crossed:
@911-Future_Maker Some help and tips in the initial stages.
@FeyoMx Initial helps since my phone wasn't rooted then.
Me. No I'm not exaggerating. I did my fair share of work in testing debug builds and providing logs and testing again. So, press thanks if this worked for you :victory:

Disclaimer:
Neither I nor the dev is responsible for any damage this app does to your device.
You MUST have a nandroid backup in case something bad happens.
Only do something after the whole thread a few times.

Yes, this is true multibooting.:cool: Install as many ROMs as our internal storage allows. I can't install more than 3 ROMs (on extsd-slot) as I have a lot of apps.

Here's the procedure:
1- Download the latest version of the app from https://snapshots.noobdev.io and the DualBootUtilities.zip (https://snapshots.noobdev.io/DualBootUtilities-8.0.0.r2162.gc717564.zip)

Note: Only version 8.0.0.r2157.g7d47ab8 and newer completely supports our device.
2- Select ROMs from the navigation drawer of the app on the left
3- Grant supersuser/root rights when it asks
4- Click "Set kernel" if it is asked.
5- Click the three-dot menu on the first ROM, which will be your current ROM.
6- Scroll down and click update ramdisk
7- Reboot
8- Select "Patch Zip file" from the navigation drawer
9- Press the + button and select the zip of the ROM you want to install.
10- Select the slot to which you want to install the ROM.
Take either a data-slot or an extsd-slot.
I recommend using an extsd-slot because the internal memory gets full very fast. Even if you install to extsd-slot, only /system/ is stored on the SD card because having data and cache as image files on the SD card shortens its lifespan by almost a week.
11- Patch the GApps, Xposed or any other zip you want to install to this ROM the same way giving the extsd-slot number you gave for the ROM.
12- Install the patched zip. There are two ways:
I) in recovery (highly recommended)
II) through the built-in zip flasher. Click on the circle in the ROMs page. Add the zips with the plus button. Click the tick.
13- Reboot. It'll automatically reboot the new ROM if it was installed successfully.
14- Voila!! You are now multibooting!:cowboy:
To switch between ROMs, you need the Dual Boot Patcher app on that ROM. Navigate to ROMs, and click you ROM you want to switch. A tick will appear.
Reboot.

EDIT: Forgot about app sharing. Here it is ;)
App Sharing:
Yes, this feature allows you to share the data of your apps across the ROMs. That means you'll have your Chrome tabs open as you left it in the other ROM. Cool :cool:!
Instructions:
1- Navigate to App Sharing settings in the navigation drawer.
2- Select "Share individual apps" and reboot.
3- Select the apps you want to share in "Manage shared apps" and select "Use shared data".
4- Reboot to the same ROM. This is very important. If you switch ROMs, you'll lose your data and you will have uncheck "Use shared data" to get it back.
5- Reboot to the ROM with which you want to share data.
6- Install the app if it isn't installed.
7- Do the same as steps 2, 3 and 4 in that ROM. Yes, rebooting to another ROM there can also result in data loss.
8- You will now have the same data across all those ROMs :victory:
I've tried sharing WhatsApp, Google Chrome, a game and Tapatalk and all these work perfectly fine.

Bugs:
I haven't seen any (of the app, do NOT report ROM bugs here)
If you find any, provide logs. If it was while installing provide the recovery.log from TWRP>Settings>Copy logs to SD
If ROM not booting, flash GetLogs.zip from the website (link: https://snapshots.noobdev.io/misc/getlogs/GetLogs-20160120.zip)
If a ROM is not booting, don't worry, reboot to recovery, and flash the DualBootUtilities.zip and switch to primary ROM.
N.B.: The touch screen doesn't work in AROMA on our device. So, navigate using volume buttons. It's a bit weird, but you'll get you used to it.
Yes, it's risky. That's why you should have a nandroid backup.

I'll try to help you as much as I can, but I'm not a dev. So, if you provide logs, I'll see and if it is something new, I'll tell the dev. He is usually busy.

N.B.: This whole post was written on my phone, so it's bad, I know. I'll edit it when I get time.

Please press thanks if I have helped you. :)

Last edited:

911-Future_Maker

Jan 5, 2013
Congrats for this great tutorial my friend! :) I'm sure it will help many peeps having questions around. Also thanks for mentioning me in the credits. :p

---------- Post added at 18:34 ---------- Previous post was at 18:30 ----------

Good guide but if the roms support sdcard as default storage then its worth dual booting

Why? You can dualboot no matter what's your default write disk. You must just have enough free space. Using 4 roms currently, my default disk is internal storage and my primary rom has a tons of apps installed. Btw @sandeep.sethi I'm having problems trying to dualboot your latest AICP rom. :laugh: 5 fast vibrations and back to recovery.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheDarkKnight

sandeep.sethi

Sep 22, 2013
Bhubaneswar
Congrats for this great tutorial my friend! :) I'm sure it will help many peeps having questions around. Also thanks for mentioning me in the credits. :p

Why? You can dualboot no matter what's your default write disk. You must just have enough free space. Using 4 roms currently, my default disk is internal storage and my primary rom has a tons of apps installed.

4 roms ? are they all vibeui based ??
whats ur internal memory space left

---------- Post added at 10:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:06 PM ----------

@sandeep.sethi I'm having problems trying to dualboot your latest AICP rom. :laugh: 5 fast vibrations and back to recovery.

i dont know bro maybe space is interferring it

911-Future_Maker

Jan 5, 2013

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-12-12-23-59-10-224.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-12-12-23-59-10-224.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 1,955

911-Future_Maker

Jan 5, 2013
its the problem
internal space will be less available
Wait! That was an old shot my bad. The one attached below is representing my current usage. I'm using BlissPop, it's a monster. :)
Interestingly enough I'm same person with the guy who's using the niklabs username @needrom. lol:D Nice to meet you mate.:highfive:
To be honest 4 roms are overkill, 3 roms can serve me just fine.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-01-27-22-04-14-690.jpg
    Screenshot_2016-01-27-22-04-14-690.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 1,009
Last edited:
Reactions: emptywordsss

TheDarkKnight

Apr 5, 2013
Kerala
Good guide but if the roms support sdcard as default storage then its worth dual booting
Thanks.
Congrats for this great tutorial my friend! :) I'm sure it will help many peeps having questions around. Also thanks for mentioning me in the credits. [emoji14]

Why? You can dualboot no matter what's your default write disk. You must just have enough free space. Using 4 roms currently, my default disk is internal storage and my primary rom has a tons of apps installed. Btw @sandeep.sethi I'm having problems trying to dualboot your latest AICP rom. [emoji23] 5 fast vibrations and back to recovery.
Thanks. You are welcome [emoji6]

Sent from my Lenovo K3 Note (K50-T5) using Tapatalk

Pradeepnegi

Jun 6, 2015
failed to flash zip

Sir I'm not able to flash zip. I'm getting error. Image is attached below. Please help

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-02-06-22-32-22.png
    Screenshot_2016-02-06-22-32-22.png
    229.6 KB · Views: 976
Last edited:

911-Future_Maker

Jan 5, 2013
Sir I'm not able to flash zip. I'm getting error. Image is attached below. Please help

This is easy. I'll guess you're installing MIUI or CM right? Because these roms usually contains this limitation about "hermes" only devices. Just open the updater-script which can be found in META-INF/com/google/android path, open it as text via some root file manager and edit it removing the following lines:
Code:
getprop("ro.product.device") == "hermes" || abort("This package is for \"hermes\" devices; this is a \"" + getprop("ro.product.device") + "\".");

Success.

911-Future_Maker

Jan 5, 2013
Hey @Salman A. bro I have a little update on your question about that can we install a VibeUI on extsd-slot or in any other slot different than primary. Good news - it works like a charm, screen attached from last night when I was again playing with flashing roms on my phone lol. :D
Installed VibeUI_1604_ST on extsd-slot all working, I just edited the updater-script to prevent boring errors like that one above removing these line:
Code:
getprop("ro.product.model") == "Lenovo K50-t5" || abort("This package is for \"Lenovo K50-t5\" devices; this is a \"" + getprop("ro.product.model") + "\".");
So now running VibeUI from my extsd card lol, I flashed it just to confirm it's possible, but I think I'll wipe it and flash it again as primary because I mostly play games on VibeUI and I don't want to run a heavy game from my extsd while the entire phone system is also running from the card. It will slow down the things. ;)
Meanwhile I still can't make the AICP rom by sandeep a multiboot ready. :( Sometimes it hangs at the logo, sometimes vibrates 5 times and reboots back to recovery. I posted at the dualboot thread and really hope that Chen will help me.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-02-07-09-16-31-917.jpg
    Screenshot_2016-02-07-09-16-31-917.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 470
  • Screenshot_2016-02-07-09-16-53-944.jpg
    Screenshot_2016-02-07-09-16-53-944.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 472
Last edited:
Reactions: TheDarkKnight

TheDarkKnight

Apr 5, 2013
Kerala
Hey @Salman A. bro I have a little update on your question about that can we install a VibeUI on extsd-slot or in any other slot different than primary. Good news - it works like a charm, screen attached from last night when I was again playing with flashing roms on my phone lol. :D
Installed VibeUI_1604_ST on extsd-slot all working, I just edited the updater-script to prevent boring errors like that one above removing these line:
Code:
getprop("ro.product.model") == "Lenovo K50-t5" || abort("This package is for \"Lenovo K50-t5\" devices; this is a \"" + getprop("ro.product.model") + "\".");
So now running VibeUI from my extsd card lol, I flashed it just to confirm it's possible, but I think I'll wipe it and flash it again as primary because I mostly play games on VibeUI and I don't want to run a heavy game from my extsd while the entire phone system is also running from the card. It will slow down the things. ;)
Meanwhile I still can't make the AICP rom by sandeep a multiboot ready. :( Sometimes it hangs at the logo, sometimes and vibrates 5 times and reboot back to recovery. I posted at the dualboot thread and really hope that Chen will help me.
That's great! I'll try out the MM ROM then.

911-Future_Maker

Jan 5, 2013
That's great! I'll try out the MM ROM then.

Wait! I forgot to mention that I also tried VibeUI_1606 from needrom and it while it had instaled fine it doesn't boot! :( Got stucked at the logo... I don't know for the other MM roms, you may want to try 1605 as I already tried 1606 and as you can see without success. So may be no multiboot for MM for now...if you have enouh space on internal you may try and report. So the bottom line:
VIBEUI_1604_ST Android 5.1 is working
VIBEUI_1606_DEV Android 6.0 won't boot.

panchalgl

Jan 6, 2013
Phone: Lenovo K3 Note
ROM: 04_K3_NOTE_5.1_1604_STABLE_ROW_004_CUOCO92
Kenrnel fix successful but in primary ROM While updating ram disk it gave error
log file attached
Please help

Attachments

• ramdisk-update.7z
    6.8 KB · Views: 61

911-Future_Maker

Jan 5, 2013
Using the latest Dualboot 2162 build with the VibeUI_3.1_1606 - can't update the ramdisk and also not indicating that the primary rom is the currently running.
I still can switch to other rom via the utilities zip so for now it's a compromise that I chose to make.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20160207-233429-540.jpg
    Screenshot_20160207-233429-540.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 205
  • Screenshot_20160207-233448-326.jpg
    Screenshot_20160207-233448-326.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 207

Pradeepnegi

Jun 6, 2015
Which is your ROM??
It's because of the ro.build.product of your build.prop

Now I have installed k3 note mm 6.0 ui 3.5 dev 1605 row cuoco92 as the primary ROM.
And again same error I m having. But now it is saying this device is aio otfp m. Please help. Even I m not able to update ramdisk.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20160208-043255-750.jpg
    Screenshot_20160208-043255-750.jpg
    214 KB · Views: 267

Pradeepnegi

Jun 6, 2015
This is easy. I'll guess you're installing MIUI or CM right? Because these roms usually contains this limitation about "hermes" only devices. Just open the updater-script which can be found in META-INF/com/google/android path, open it as text via some root file manager and edit it removing the following lines:
Code:
getprop("ro.product.device") == "hermes" || abort("This package is for \"hermes\" devices; this is a \"" + getprop("ro.product.device") + "\".");

Success.

Sir where to find this folder meta inf

TheDarkKnight

Apr 5, 2013
Kerala
Sir where to find this folder meta inf
In the ROM zip.
Now I have installed k3 note mm 6.0 ui 3.5 dev 1605 row cuoco92 as the primary ROM.
And again same error I m having. But now it is saying this device is aio otfp m. Please help. Even I m not able to update ramdisk.

You have to change ro.build.product to aio_otfp without _m in your build.prop. If you are still trying that zip, you will still have to edit the updater-script. My advice, don't use it. That's very old. Try the new CM 12.1 Beta 3

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I'm NOT the developer/creator of this app/method. Chenxiaolong is. Here's the link to the official thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2447534

Credits: @chenxiaolong - This guy is just great. Our device required many additional hacks and changes to work because of its crappy closed-source update-binary and closed-source Mediatek sources. This awesome dev had to work a lot to get this work fully on our device. Yes, he did. Debug builds, logs, debugging, reworking and all, and he never stopped. That's just amazing. So, I want to thank him wherever you see his post and if you can PLEASE donate as your token of appreciation. :good::fingers-crossed:
    @911-Future_Maker Some help and tips in the initial stages.
    @FeyoMx Initial helps since my phone wasn't rooted then.
    Me. No I'm not exaggerating. I did my fair share of work in testing debug builds and providing logs and testing again. So, press thanks if this worked for you :victory:

Disclaimer:
    Neither I nor the dev is responsible for any damage this app does to your device.
    You MUST have a nandroid backup in case something bad happens.
    Only do something after the whole thread a few times.

Yes, this is true multibooting.:cool: Install as many ROMs as our internal storage allows. I can't install more than 3 ROMs (on extsd-slot) as I have a lot of apps.

Here's the procedure:
    1- Download the latest version of the app from https://snapshots.noobdev.io and the DualBootUtilities.zip (https://snapshots.noobdev.io/DualBootUtilities-8.0.0.r2162.gc717564.zip)

Note: Only version 8.0.0.r2157.g7d47ab8 and newer completely supports our device.
    2- Select ROMs from the navigation drawer of the app on the left
    3- Grant supersuser/root rights when it asks
    4- Click "Set kernel" if it is asked.
    5- Click the three-dot menu on the first ROM, which will be your current ROM.
    6- Scroll down and click update ramdisk
    7- Reboot
    8- Select "Patch Zip file" from the navigation drawer
    9- Press the + button and select the zip of the ROM you want to install.
    10- Select the slot to which you want to install the ROM.
    Take either a data-slot or an extsd-slot.
    I recommend using an extsd-slot because the internal memory gets full very fast. Even if you install to extsd-slot, only /system/ is stored on the SD card because having data and cache as image files on the SD card shortens its lifespan by almost a week.
    11- Patch the GApps, Xposed or any other zip you want to install to this ROM the same way giving the extsd-slot number you gave for the ROM.
    12- Install the patched zip. There are two ways:
    I) in recovery (highly recommended)
    II) through the built-in zip flasher. Click on the circle in the ROMs page. Add the zips with the plus button. Click the tick.
    13- Reboot. It'll automatically reboot the new ROM if it was installed successfully.
    14- Voila!! You are now multibooting!:cowboy:
    To switch between ROMs, you need the Dual Boot Patcher app on that ROM. Navigate to ROMs, and click you ROM you want to switch. A tick will appear.
    Reboot.

EDIT: Forgot about app sharing. Here it is ;)
    App Sharing:
    Yes, this feature allows you to share the data of your apps across the ROMs. That means you'll have your Chrome tabs open as you left it in the other ROM. Cool :cool:!
    Instructions:
    1- Navigate to App Sharing settings in the navigation drawer.
    2- Select "Share individual apps" and reboot.
    3- Select the apps you want to share in "Manage shared apps" and select "Use shared data".
    4- Reboot to the same ROM. This is very important. If you switch ROMs, you'll lose your data and you will have uncheck "Use shared data" to get it back.
    5- Reboot to the ROM with which you want to share data.
    6- Install the app if it isn't installed.
    7- Do the same as steps 2, 3 and 4 in that ROM. Yes, rebooting to another ROM there can also result in data loss.
    8- You will now have the same data across all those ROMs :victory:
    I've tried sharing WhatsApp, Google Chrome, a game and Tapatalk and all these work perfectly fine.

Bugs:
    I haven't seen any (of the app, do NOT report ROM bugs here)
    If you find any, provide logs. If it was while installing provide the recovery.log from TWRP>Settings>Copy logs to SD
    If ROM not booting, flash GetLogs.zip from the website (link: https://snapshots.noobdev.io/misc/getlogs/GetLogs-20160120.zip)
    If a ROM is not booting, don't worry, reboot to recovery, and flash the DualBootUtilities.zip and switch to primary ROM.
    N.B.: The touch screen doesn't work in AROMA on our device. So, navigate using volume buttons. It's a bit weird, but you'll get you used to it.
    Yes, it's risky. That's why you should have a nandroid backup.

I'll try to help you as much as I can, but I'm not a dev. So, if you provide logs, I'll see and if it is something new, I'll tell the dev. He is usually busy.

N.B.: This whole post was written on my phone, so it's bad, I know. I'll edit it when I get time.

Please press thanks if I have helped you. :)
    Hi
    Luck came with a version - DualBootPatcherAndroid-9.2.0.r199.gcfbba1c6
    Now for Lenovo K3 Note
    TWRP 3.0.2-7
    main firmware -lineage-14.1-20170702-UNOFFICIAL-aio_otfp
    second firmware - AospExtended-v4.4-aio_otfp-20170708-1051-OFFICIAL
    The third firmware - MIUI 8 stable 2.1 CN-6.0

second and third firmware established in the "data slot"
    This multi-boot feature is amazing. Finally I can check out roms by myself, instead of googling videos about it.
    I had some issues while doing so. Here is how I solved them:

My primary rom is Sense V2 (Lollipop 5.1). When I tried to "Update ramdisk" or "Set kernel", it gave me error that the device code "K3_Note" was not identified. If you are getting such error, here is how to solve it:
    1. Get "Root Browser" (Or any app from which you can browse system files).
    2. Goto system folder. Open "build.prop" using RB Text Editor.
    3. Scroll down to the very end. Then add this line to file:
    Code:
    ro.patcher.device=aio_otfp
    4. Save the file, and reboot the device.

This will solve the problem with Update Ramdisk and Set kernel. Follow the next instructions as mentioned.
    Again thanks for all the people who made this possible, and also @Salman A. and @911-Future_Maker .... :D
    Wow, that's great!
    Is that untouched?

Yes! This is the original rom zip, only patched for dualboot. No editing anymore, well at most of the time. :D