• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[GUIDE][NO ROOT][7TH GEN/OLDER] Disable System Apps on Fire HD 7/8/10:

Search This thread

Supersonic27543

Nov 14, 2016
LOOKS LIKE THIS ONLY WORKS FOR 5.6.1.0 AND UP BUT YOU CAN ALWAYS TRY IF YOU WANT, THIS *SHOULD* NOT DAMAGE YOUR DEVICE
THIS DOES NOT WORK ON NEW 2018 MODELS.

You can use this method in any tools or scripts, but you must add a link to this thread in these threads, videos, etc.
Hi!
This is a guide on how to disable system apps on 7th Generation or older Fire tablets.
This guide *should* work in theory for every Fire tablet, in every version, but I only tried this is my HD 8, version 5.6.1.0.
(Also the "pm hide" command does not just hide the app, it is almost completely identical to "pm disable", only the system interprets it differently. So, yes, you will notice a good increase in performance after you do this!)
Please hit thanks if this helped, it is easier than commenting thanks... ;)
--You'll require a PC with ADB installed.--
--------
MANUAL METHOD:
1.) I attached an APK for "Amazon Facebook Share" below,(edit: it is not displaying properly in this thread, see post #1) install it with ADB, or copy it into the device and install it manually.
2.) Reboot.
3.) Now open the command prompt, and type:
Code:
adb shell
run-as com.amazon.unifiedsharefacebook
id
4.) If the "id" command output *does not* start with "uid=2000" then you are good to go! Just run "pm hide" on every system app package you want to disable, you can find some lists in this forums. (If it does not, PM me your output or reply in this thread with the output)
5.) So, it looks like that this sheet works well.

SEMI-AUTOMATIC METHOD:
SORRY, CURRENTLY THE SEMI AUTO METHOD IS BROKEN, I'LL TRY TO FIX IT.
1.) Download the attached .ZIP and extract it, see post #30.
2.) Run the batch file, (it will reboot your device).
3.) Now continue the step #3 from above.
--------
If you try to access a disabled app, it will show an annoying warning, (like accessing "System Updates" in Device Options after disabling OTA)
Code:
The requested action is not permitted. Check Parental Controls settings and retry.
IMPORTANT- If you disable com.amazon.firelauncher, everything will work almost perfectly, but you will see the warning message I mentioned above every time you press home.
--------
Good Luck with disabling, and don't disable critical parts!

Last edited:

vierlex

Jul 15, 2014
Sadly didnt work, have a Fire HD 8, 5.6.0.1
Installed it via adb install -r -d with the following error.
Failure [INSTALL_FAILED_MISSING_SHARED_LIBRARY]

t0x1cSH

Jul 24, 2018
Works !

works on 5.6.2.0
removed the apps from the bloatware spreadsheet

Not yet rebooted my fire hd8

Last edited:
Reactions: fire1951

Rangerclass

Jul 24, 2018
Need help with my fire HD 8 running fire OS 5.6.2.0

THIS IS STILL UNCONFIRMED, AND MAY OR MAY NOT WORK. BUT IT JUST WORKED FOR MY DEVICE.
Hi, I'll be unable to be in this forums for some time, maybe for a couple of months, (I will still check the forums when I can) so I'm going to leave a gift for everyone!
This guide *should* work in theory for every Fire tablet, in every version, but I only tried this is my HD 8, versions 5.6.0.1 & 5.6.1.0.
(Also the "pm hide" command does not just hide the app, it is almost completely identical to "pm disable", only the system interprets it differently. So, yes, you will notice a good increase in performance after you do this!)
-You'll require a PC with ADB installed.
1.) I attached an APK for "Amazon Facebook Share" below,(edit: it is not displaying properly in this thread, see post #1) install it with ADB, or copy it into the device and install it manually.
2.) Reboot.
Code:
adb shell
id
4.) If the "id" command output *does not* start with "uid=2000" then you are good to go! Just run "pm hide" on every system app package you want to disable, you can find some lists in this forums. (If it does not, PM me your output or reply in this thread with the output)
If you try to access a disabled app, it will show an annoying warning, (like accessing "System Updates" in Device Options after disabling OTA)
Code:
The requested action is not permitted. Check Parental Controls settings and retry.
IMPORTANT- If you disable com.amazon.firelauncher, everything will work almost perfectly, but you will see the warning message I mentioned above every time you press home.

hey, I am trying to get rid of some apps on the fire HD 8 and what this post said was not working and I was hoping you could help me out...
1. when I put the apk in the storage and try to install it on my Fire it comes back and says "app not installed" but I tried to push it with ADB and still no luck...so I try my luck and try all the commands anyway and here is the script I got back:

C:\Tools\platform-tools_r28.0.0-windows\platform-tools>adb shell
[email protected]:/ $ run-as com.amazon.unifiedsharefacebook
run-as: Package 'com.amazon.unifiedsharefacebook' is not debuggable
1|[email protected]:/ $ id
uid=2000(shell) gid=2000(shell) groups=1003(graphics),1004(input),1007(log),1011(adb),1015(sdcard_rw),1028(sdcard_r),3001(net_bt_admin),3002(net_bt),3003(inet),3006(net_bw_stats) context=u:r:shell:s0
[email protected]:/ $

anything would help.

Thanks

Reactions: Vclong2003

t0x1cSH

Jul 24, 2018
hey, I am trying to get rid of some apps on the fire HD 8 and what this post said was not working and I was hoping you could help me out...
1. when I put the apk in the storage and try to install it on my Fire it comes back and says "app not installed" but I tried to push it with ADB and still no luck...so I try my luck and try all the commands anyway and here is the script I got back:

C:\Tools\platform-tools_r28.0.0-windows\platform-tools>adb shell
[email protected]:/ $ run-as com.amazon.unifiedsharefacebook
run-as: Package 'com.amazon.unifiedsharefacebook' is not debuggable
1|[email protected]:/ $ id
uid=2000(shell) gid=2000(shell) groups=1003(graphics),1004(input),1007(log),1011(adb),1015(sdcard_rw),1028(sdcard_r),3001(net_bt_admin),3002(net_bt),3003(inet),3006(net_bw_stats) context=u:r:shell:s0
[email protected]:/ $

anything would help.

Thanks
i've copied the apk in /sdcard and then pm install -r -d /sdcard/com.amazon.unifiedsharefacebook.apk

Reactions: GoodSoul

Rangerclass

Jul 24, 2018
i've copied the apk in /sdcard and then pm install -r -d /sdcard/com.amazon.unifiedsharefacebook.apk

I just got the tablet on Prime day and have not yet got the sdcard...
is there anyway i could do it without and what Tablet do you have?
mine is a Fire HD 8 7th gen running OS 5.6.2.0

thanks for the advice and hope we can figure something out.

t0x1cSH

Jul 24, 2018
I just got the tablet on Prime day and have not yet got the sdcard...
is there anyway i could do it without and what Tablet do you have?
mine is a Fire HD 8 7th gen running OS 5.6.2.0

thanks for the advice and hope we can figure something out.

simply copy the apk on the device via usb cable in the root directory
open adb shell on your pc
run pm install -r -d /sdcard/com.amazon.unifiedsharefacebook.apk
then run run-as com.amazon.unifiedsharefacebook
and then check your id

Rangerclass

Jul 24, 2018
and then check your id

Thanks you so much.
I was doing /local not /sdcard because I thought that local would be it because I did not have a SD card yet.

the ID has now changed and I should be able to complete the first post.

Thank you so much for your time and help.

vierlex

Jul 15, 2014
and then check your id

I still get the [INSTALL_FAILED_MISSING_SHARED_LIBRARY] error :(

edt: not sure if I want to update if sooner or later an exploit might be found..? what do you guys think

Last edited:
Reactions: Haydoode

Dan_firehd

Sep 14, 2017
Worked for HD7 (7th Edition) with OS 5.6.1.0

Now I can disable ("hide") further OTA updates.
Thank you very much.

Edit: I bought my HD7 last year, which came with O.S. 5.4.0.0. However, after "pm uninstall" Special Offer and a few Amazon Apps, I forgot to "pm uninstall" OTA. Consequently, it continued to get OTA updates till now.

Last edited:

Supersonic27543

Nov 14, 2016
I still get the [INSTALL_FAILED_MISSING_SHARED_LIBRARY] error :(

edt: not sure if I want to update if sooner or later an exploit might be found..? what do you guys think

That error shows when the device does not support the APK. Is it a HD 8 2016? :confused: Also, do not update if you don't have to, 5.6.1.0 is considerably reinforced against exploits than previous versions. But if you really want to disable, it may be worth a try.

Reactions: dondraper23

stew1411

Feb 24, 2011
Ardmore
I know you said we need a PC with adb installed, but would this not also work with a terminal emulator?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

getochkn

Dec 25, 2010
I get INSTALL_FAILED_INVALID_URI when trying to install on a Fire HD 8 2017 with 5.6.2 is it blocked in 5.6.2

SirausKen

Feb 21, 2015
Sony Xperia Z2
Android Wear
I get INSTALL_FAILED_INVALID_URI when trying to install on a Fire HD 8 2017 with 5.6.2 is it blocked in 5.6.2

I tried to link to the path /sdcard/Download/com.blabla.apk and it installed no problem.

I still cant properly hide the apps tho. All apps I try get hidden from the launcher but still exist and are active according to the settings/apps.

However, the apps cannot be run by any means...so this may work afterall.

Rollercoaster this one.

Edit: Vesion 5.6.2.0 install date: 11.07.2018

I'll post an update on the OTA check, if no automatic check is done!

Last edited:

cybersaga

Jul 11, 2018
Loyalist, ON
You have to reinstall the apk every time you reboot, before you try the "run-as" command:
Code:
adb install -r -d .\com.amazon.unifiedsharefacebook.apk
I didn't have to rename the apk.

Yes, the apps still show up in the Settings and don't show as disabled in there, but the apps don't show in the launcher and can't be run, which is really what I'm looking for.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    LOOKS LIKE THIS ONLY WORKS FOR 5.6.1.0 AND UP BUT YOU CAN ALWAYS TRY IF YOU WANT, THIS *SHOULD* NOT DAMAGE YOUR DEVICE
    THIS DOES NOT WORK ON NEW 2018 MODELS.

You can use this method in any tools or scripts, but you must add a link to this thread in these threads, videos, etc.
    Hi!
    This is a guide on how to disable system apps on 7th Generation or older Fire tablets.
    This guide *should* work in theory for every Fire tablet, in every version, but I only tried this is my HD 8, version 5.6.1.0.
    Please hit thanks if this helped, it is easier than commenting thanks... ;)
    --You'll require a PC with ADB installed.--
    --------
    MANUAL METHOD:
    2.) Reboot.
    Code:
    adb shell
    id
    5.) So, it looks like that this sheet works well.

SEMI-AUTOMATIC METHOD:
    SORRY, CURRENTLY THE SEMI AUTO METHOD IS BROKEN, I'LL TRY TO FIX IT.
    1.) Download the attached .ZIP and extract it, see post #30.
    2.) Run the batch file, (it will reboot your device).
    3.) Now continue the step #3 from above.
    --------
    Code:
    --------
    Weehah! I figured it out. So turns out that hiding "com.amazon.alexa.modeswitch" will cause a red line at the bottom of the screen after a reboot.

Here are all the ones that I hid. You can probably add more, who knows. But this will at least get rid of all the useless crap filling up the launcher.

This is on a 7th gen HD 8 that I bought last month (y'know, just before they went on sale). I can't find the OS version number, but it did update after I bought it. If someone can tell me how to find the version, I can add it in here for the benefit of others.

I haven't attempted to hide the fire launcher since the Launcher Hijack is working fine. But if someone confirms that's working, I'd be interested.

Great work in finding this Supersonic!!!

Code:
    pm hide com.amazon.advertisingidsettings
    pm hide com.amazon.ags.app
    pm hide com.amazon.alexa.youtube.app
    pm hide com.amazon.avod
    pm hide com.amazon.cloud9
    pm hide com.amazon.cloud9.contentservice
    pm hide com.amazon.cloud9.kids
    pm hide com.amazon.cloud9.systembrowserprovider
    pm hide com.amazon.csapp
    pm hide com.amazon.dcp
    pm hide com.amazon.dee.app
    pm hide com.amazon.device.backup
    pm hide com.amazon.device.crashmanager
    pm hide com.amazon.device.logmanager
    pm hide com.amazon.device.software.ota
    pm hide com.amazon.geo.client.maps
    pm hide com.amazon.gloria.smarthome
    pm hide com.amazon.kcp.tutorial
    pm hide com.amazon.kindle
    pm hide com.amazon.kindle.cms
    pm hide com.amazon.kindle.devicecontrols
    pm hide com.amazon.kindle.kso
    pm hide com.amazon.kindle.otter.oobe
    pm hide com.amazon.kindle.otter.oobe.forced.ota
    pm hide com.amazon.kindle.otter.settings
    pm hide com.amazon.kindle.personal_video
    pm hide com.amazon.kindle.rdmdeviceadmin
    pm hide com.amazon.kindle.unifiedSearch
    pm hide com.amazon.kor.demo
    pm hide com.amazon.mp3
    pm hide com.amazon.mw
    pm hide com.amazon.mw.sdk
    pm hide com.amazon.ods.kindleconnect
    pm hide com.amazon.parentalcontrols
    pm hide com.amazon.photos
    pm hide com.amazon.photos.importer
    pm hide com.amazon.pm
    pm hide com.amazon.precog
    pm hide com.amazon.recess
    pm hide com.amazon.settings.systemupdates
    pm hide com.amazon.socialplatform
    pm hide com.amazon.tahoe
    pm hide com.amazon.tv.ottssocompanionapp
    pm hide com.amazon.vans.alexatabletshopping.app
    pm hide com.amazon.venezia
    pm hide com.amazon.weather
    pm hide com.amazon.webapp
    pm hide com.amazon.webview
    pm hide com.amazon.webview.metrics.service
    pm hide com.amazon.windowshop
    pm hide com.amazon.zico
    pm hide com.android.backupconfirm
    pm hide com.android.calendar
    pm hide com.android.contacts
    pm hide com.android.deskclock
    pm hide com.android.email
    pm hide com.android.music
    pm hide com.android.onetimeinitializer
    pm hide com.android.protips
    pm hide com.android.sharedstoragebackup
    pm hide com.android.wallpapercropper
    pm hide com.audible.application.kindle
    pm hide com.goodreads.kindle
    pm hide com.kingsoft.office.amz
    pm hide jp.co.omronsoft.iwnnime.languagepack.zhcn_az
    pm hide jp.co.omronsoft.iwnnime.mlaz
    pm hide org.mopria.printplugin
    provisory solution for Parental control warning

i wrote a simple service that close the parental control warning as soon as it appears, this solution is very rudimentary but it works

should work with almost every languages

for the app to work you have to enable it in the android accessibility settings

Settings->Accessibility->ParentalControlHide

let me now how it works (i've made this app at 1:00am my time so forgive me if wont work on your device, on mine does :D)

git https://github.com/raffy909/ParentalControlHide
    added compatibility for multiple languages :)

i wrote a simple service that close the parental control warning as soon as it appears, this solution is very rudimentary but it works

right now it works only with english and italian language, i will eventually make it work with all the languages

for the app to work you have to enable it in the android accessibility settings

Settings->Accessibility->ParentalControlHide

let me now how it works (i've made this app at 1:00am my time so forgive me if wont work on your device, on mine does :D)

git https://github.com/raffy909/ParentalControlHide

I've added compatibility for multiple languages, let me know if it works