[GUIDE] [NO ROOT REQUIRED] [EPIC UPDATE] How to add VoLTE support/CA Combos for other carriers to the G8 (and other Qualcomm powered LG devices too!)

Search This thread

VinniStag

Jun 17, 2022
Thank God there is still people here helping out. thank you.

I was wondering if anybody can give me a hand.
I have an LG v40 that is supposed to be an ATT model v405UA. when i got it it had android 8, and couldnt upgrade to anything unless i was on ATT network, so i flashed android 10 that was a stock back up i found on xda that is also an ATT rom. The device is supposed to be carrier unlocked but figured i should get att sim card anyway and get it overwith but even then i cannot get VOLTE provisioned at all and i dont know why.

I tried the universal enabler method with no luck. then i tried opening up the modem profiles on PDC as described here. I see an "att" and "row_att". Its seems like the phone always wants to be on the ROW one and i tried deactivating that one and trying to activate the plain ATT one but the phone goes back to ROW after a few seconds.

I dont want to remove the ROW one as i dont want to lose the LTE service that is the only thing working right now.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated. Thank you again.

Wish39

Jan 13, 2015
Thank God there is still people here helping out. thank you.

I was wondering if anybody can give me a hand.
I have an LG v40 that is supposed to be an ATT model v405UA. when i got it it had android 8, and couldnt upgrade to anything unless i was on ATT network, so i flashed android 10 that was a stock back up i found on xda that is also an ATT rom. The device is supposed to be carrier unlocked but figured i should get att sim card anyway and get it overwith but even then i cannot get VOLTE provisioned at all and i dont know why.

I tried the universal enabler method with no luck. then i tried opening up the modem profiles on PDC as described here. I see an "att" and "row_att". Its seems like the phone always wants to be on the ROW one and i tried deactivating that one and trying to activate the plain ATT one but the phone goes back to ROW after a few seconds.

I dont want to remove the ROW one as i dont want to lose the LTE service that is the only thing working right now.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated. Thank you again.
Try activating the ATT profile first, then remove the ROW_ATT profile. If that doesn't work you can always load back the ROW profile. All of the profiles should be in the modem partitions, you can probably get those from that backup you flashed.

VinniStag

Jun 17, 2022
Try activating the ATT profile first, then remove the ROW_ATT profile. If that doesn't work you can always load back the ROW profile. All of the profiles should be in the modem partitions, you can probably get those from that backup you flashed.
Thank you for your response Wish, I was able to activate plain ATT profile and delete the ROW as you describe. However VOLTE is still not provisioned when i look inside the info menu (*#*#4636#*#*).

I have no clue why this thing is not working. Do you have any other ideas i could try?.

Thank you again for your time.

Wish39

Jan 13, 2015
Thank you for your response Wish, I was able to activate plain ATT profile and delete the ROW as you describe. However VOLTE is still not provisioned when i look inside the info menu (*#*#4636#*#*).

I have no clue why this thing is not working. Do you have any other ideas i could try?.

Thank you again for your time.
If it's still not provisioning, then if you are an AT&T customer contact their support and have them see if they can provision the phone for VoLTE. I suspect for some reason AT&T's network is not provisioning the phone even though it's an actual AT&T device.

VinniStag

Jun 17, 2022
If it's still not provisioning, then if you are an AT&T customer contact their support and have them see if they can provision the phone for VoLTE. I suspect for some reason AT&T's network is not provisioning the phone even though it's an actual AT&T device.
Yea, im starting to guess this is an issue with them and not the phone. thank you again mate.

mangojain

Jul 24, 2010
Thank you again for the files. I really appreciate it.

I tried replacing these in OP/Config. Unfortunately I still don't have VoLTE or VoWifi. I can see that the profiles for Indian carriers are added in Master Config from Universal Enabler. However the VoLTE doesn't work. I even tried removing SIM and putting it back in.

I hope there are no more steps after replacing the files.
Try restoring the values of cust.prop and put the same parameters in vo_config. It could turn on volte but make your phone unstable . . .

surgemanx

Jan 29, 2022
I noticed this when I upgraded to android 12 EA firmware. The QMICM mode doesn't show up in device manager or show any sign. But I downgraded to TM android 11 Firmware and it works. I don't know if this is a bug or they've patched it on Android 12. If anyone on Android 12 got it to work please let us know.
11 only...won't work on a12

nightstars998

Aug 29, 2020
I crossflashed my LG g8 820UM (Sprint) with a11 US cellular's
G820UM30b_00_USC_US_OP_0105.kdz using the sprint guide. I'm using mint mobile. I have HD Voice Enabled. I followed this guide to install TMO OPEN mbn but my mobile network state is still disconnected and IMS registration status is not registered although tmo is active. Would like to know if there is hope of getting volte to work or should I just get a new phone. Thank you for reading this. If you would like more information, please let me know. I got this phone less than a year ago because on the mint compatable page, it is compatible with the type but when I typed in the imei later, it said it's not compatible.

nightstars998

Aug 29, 2020
I have a Sprint LG G8, and there was an option to enable VoLTE and WiFi Calling, but WiFi calling did not work. I just went through the process of flashing a new US Open a11 VDZ. Then I followed the instructions in the post and was able to successfully complete all of the steps with no errors. I also enabled the VoLTE and VoWiFi in the Universal Enabler; however, for some reason I no longer have WiFi Calling or VoLTE options in my settings. :/

How can I restore those options?

Looks like the problem might be that I flashed a US Cellular KDZ. Gonna need to track down a different one, I think.
Which kdz did you end up using?

Wish39

Jan 13, 2015
I crossflashed my LG g8 820UM (Sprint) with a11 US cellular's
G820UM30b_00_USC_US_OP_0105.kdz using the sprint guide. I'm using mint mobile. I have HD Voice Enabled. I followed this guide to install TMO OPEN mbn but my mobile network state is still disconnected and IMS registration status is not registered although tmo is active. Would like to know if there is hope of getting volte to work or should I just get a new phone. Thank you for reading this. If you would like more information, please let me know. I got this phone less than a year ago because on the mint compatable page, it is compatible with the type but when I typed in the imei later, it said it's not compatible.
You need the KDZ for the factory unlocked model, G820QM, to have VoLTE support for all carriers. US Cellular firmware is NOT the unbranded firmware and will only have support for US Cellular VoLTE.

Sykander

Dec 5, 2020
Try restoring the values of cust.prop and put the same parameters in vo_config. It could turn on volte but make your phone unstable . . .
OK, I've given this a shot too. But doesn't do anything.

I suspect the problem might be something to do with LG IMS.

The device doesn't seem to register with airtel - I'm basing this on the info from troubleshooting section of airtel app and phone info from app called netmonster - I've attached screenshots.

I thought copying the files from Indian g8x might have fixed this, but apparently its not.

I visited airtel store and got the sim changed too, still no luck.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220625-111503.png
    Screenshot_20220625-111503.png
    257.2 KB · Views: 184
  • Screenshot_20220625-111448.png
    Screenshot_20220625-111448.png
    214 KB · Views: 170
  • Screenshot_20220625-111515.png
    Screenshot_20220625-111515.png
    367.3 KB · Views: 179
  • Screenshot_20220625-111610.png
    Screenshot_20220625-111610.png
    169.7 KB · Views: 159
  • Screenshot_20220625-111642.png
    Screenshot_20220625-111642.png
    97.7 KB · Views: 200

Sykander

Dec 5, 2020
New Update!!

VoLTE and Vowifi finally working on Airtel.

Right after my last reply, it occurred to me that I should try my wife's SIM in my phone. And when I did, VoLTE and Vowifi were working on my phone.

So I rushed back to the Airtel store and after explaining everything, and even getting them to put of their SIM in my phone they raised a ticked to fix the problem.

And now in the evening I got a call from airtel to check - thankfully it's working. Ims also showing as registered.

For some reason it still doesn't seem to detect my phone number - but as long as volte and vowifi work I couldn't be bothered.

I'll check Jio and Vodafone when I can get my hands on a sim.

Thank you very much for your replies, files and advice. Cheers.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220625-185851.png
    Screenshot_20220625-185851.png
    215.8 KB · Views: 125
  • Screenshot_20220625-185810.png
    Screenshot_20220625-185810.png
    251.1 KB · Views: 126
  • Screenshot_20220625-185640.png
    Screenshot_20220625-185640.png
    672.3 KB · Views: 115
  • Screenshot_20220625-185533.png
    Screenshot_20220625-185533.png
    3.8 MB · Views: 128

Zanketsu

May 8, 2014
Warsaw
Hey guys, I've also got the Korean variant - love it but without VoLTE it's a glorified paperweight.
Has anyone managed to root the Korean model and upload the carrier VoLTE profiles and can share how? I'll buy a virtual beer!

Cheers!

Sykander

Dec 5, 2020
Hey guys, I've also got the Korean variant - love it but without VoLTE it's a glorified paperweight.
Has anyone managed to root the Korean model and upload the carrier VoLTE profiles and can share how? I'll buy a virtual beer!

Cheers!
Which country are you trying to use the device in? For USA the process described in this thread should work. For EU there is a magisk module you can try.

Zanketsu

May 8, 2014
Warsaw
I live in Poland/EU. I've read above in the thread that OP's method does not work for the Korean variant (LM-G820N) and that it's finicky to root. Hence my ask.

Sykander

Dec 5, 2020
I live in Poland/EU. I've read above in the thread that OP's method does not work for the Korean variant (LM-G820N) and that it's finicky to root. Hence my ask.
OK, in that case you can join the telegram group for lg g8, v50 and ask the folks there.

For EU I think may need root to get volte.

Ps: I have Korean V50 which i rooted and now managed to get volte working on.

Reactions: Zanketsu

mangojain

Jul 24, 2010
New Update!!

VoLTE and Vowifi finally working on Airtel.

Right after my last reply, it occurred to me that I should try my wife's SIM in my phone. And when I did, VoLTE and Vowifi were working on my phone.

So I rushed back to the Airtel store and after explaining everything, and even getting them to put of their SIM in my phone they raised a ticked to fix the problem.

And now in the evening I got a call from airtel to check - thankfully it's working. Ims also showing as registered.

For some reason it still doesn't seem to detect my phone number - but as long as volte and vowifi work I couldn't be bothered.

I'll check Jio and Vodafone when I can get my hands on a sim.

Thank you very much for your replies, files and advice. Cheers.
Happy to hear it's finally working. Airtel and Vodafone are like that, they don't enable these basic features by default, God knows why . . Jio will work without any problem for sure.

Reactions: Sykander

LuVul

Jul 16, 2022
Hi guys. I have a V60 LMV600AM. Just update it to Android 12. Using a H2O sim card. Can't get volte.
Any way to downgrade Android 12 to 11 in this AT&T phone? Even if downgrade to 11, any one successfully add volte to use in H2O? Thank you so much!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    If you are running Android 12 or 13, follow this guide if PDC does not see your device.

I'm gonna keep the intro simple, been a longtime user here on XDA, and recently I found that my T-Mobile LG G8 only supported VoLTE and VoWifi on, you guessed it, T-Mobile! So I did some research, experimented with my G8 for a bit, and I now have a method that works and does not need root at all. Basically, what we are doing here is just loading carrier profiles into the phone's modem so that the phone is able to complete IMS registration and correctly provision VoLTE when you insert a SIM card from another carrier.

If you are trying this on a LG V60, please turn off USB debugging before attempting this as multiple V60 owners have had trouble properly installing the modem driver and only resolved the driver issue by turning it off. Also, please try the 90E5 driver if the 9091 driver does not work for you.

This method does not work on the Sprint G8, any other Sprint LG devices, the Korean G8 and any other Korean LG devices since there is no Field Test option in the HiddenMenu in those devices.

Follow this post here, and make sure you read the original post in that thread as well. Also should work with other BL unlocked G8 models. Crossflash your G8 to Open US or Open CA firmware using this method! No unlocked bootloader or root needed!

DO THIS FIRST!!!!!: STEPS TO OBTAIN CARRIER MBN FILES FOR YOUR DEVICE (MBN files for the G8/G8x/G8s provided in Step 11 of the main guide)

1. Download a KDZ for your device. Sites like lgrom.com or lg-firmwares.com have KDZ's available to download. If you have an AT&T LG device just download a KDZ for another variant of your phone. Ex: If you have the AT&T LG Velvet, just download the Canadian Velvet's KDZ. Same for the AT&T G8, G8x etc.

2. Download and install
    7zip, and the linked/attached KDZ extractor tool.

3. Extract the KDZ tool zip file, then place your downloaded KDZ into the same folder as the KDZ tools.
    1646120728815.png

4. In the KDZ tools folder, find "OneKeyExtraction.bat" and double click on it.

5. When the CMD windows launches, press Y to start extracting the partitions from the KDZ.

6. Once it is finished, you should see a new folder in the KDZ tools folder that has the same name as the KDZ that you downloaded. Open up that folder.
    1646121613132.png

7. As you can see the tool extracted all of the partitions that are contained in the KDZ file. We will need to open up either the modem_a or modem_b partitions to grab the needed MBN files. Scroll down to find those partitions. Doesn't matter which one you choose.

8. Right click on whichever one you chose, hover over "7zip", then click "Open archive".
    1646122181314.png

9. 7zip will open up. The folders where the MBN's will be vary by device. Generally you should first look for a folder named "modem_pr", then once in it find the "mcfg_sw" folder. Here are some examples to help you find where the MBN files in your device's modem partition are. The files will be seperated into folders by region and carrier.
    1646122816648.png

1646122875662.png

1646122958551.png

10. Once you find the files, extract them to whichever folder you want to.

Now here are the steps to load the MBN's:

1. Download the latest QPST Tools from here. Only runs on Windows. No Linux, sorry.

2. Extract the zip file you downloaded and open QPST.2.7.496.1.exe to install the QPST tools.

1633495073816.png

3. Once that is done, go to the Driver folder and open Qualcomm USB Driver V1.0.exe to install the drivers needed for the tool to communicate with your phone.

4. After that is done, there should be a QPST folder in your start menu. We'll come back to that later.

5. On your phone, go to the dialer and enter this code:
    Code:
    *#546368#*xxx# OR #*462633*#xxx# *xxx is the three numbers in your device's model code.

6. The HiddenMenu should pop up, choose Field Test, then LTE Data Test, and change the Tethering Mode from Android to QMICM. I recommend leaving your phone in this menu so that it is easier to switch back to the normal Android USB connection mode when you are done.

1633495857477.png
    1633495872107.png
    1633495890722.png

7. Connect your phone to your computer, it should be detected as "Qualcomm HS-USB Modem 9091". In Device Manager it should show up under the Modems section.

8. Go to the QPST start menu folder and open the "PDC" application.

9. Go to the Device dropdown, there should be an item named "Qualcomm Wireless HS-USB Ethernet Adapter 9091". This is your phone, select it.
    1633496853860.png
    10. This is what you should see. Notice how only the original carrier's (T-Mobile) modem profile is loaded into the phone's modem. Pretty lazy if you ask me.
    1633497146862.png
    11. Now you will need some modem profiles to load into your phone! As a little starter pack, here are a few carrier modem profiles for US, Canadian and Korean carriers. Download them here (these are only for the G8/G8x/G8s! Will not work with other devices!!!!!!). I have extracted these from my phone's modem_a partition using QFIL Partition Manager with the LG SD855 firehose, and these are present in the modem_b partition as well. LG left all of these profiles inside the phone but only actually loads one of them into the modem on carrier models....

These profiles may also work on the G8x, V50, and G8s since those phones have the same SOC as the G8, and by extension the same modem chip.

12. Once you are ready, press the Load button and navigate to whichever carrier profile you want to add, I will load AT&T as an example. After going inside the folder for the carrier you want to load, there should be a file named "mcfg_sw.mbn". This is the profile. Don't bother adding any profile that has "row" in it's name, those usually don't give you support for VoLTE.
    1633498811451.png
    13. When you are ready, click Open and your carrier profile will be loaded into your phone! You can go and add as many carriers as you want, I loaded all US and Korean, and some Canadian carrier profiles into my G8.

Do not load the same profile multiple times, this may cause issues with VoLTE and cell connectivity.
    1633501377502.png

14. When you are done, go back to the LTE Data Test menu and set the tethering mode back to Android. Your phone now has VoLTE support for the carriers that you loaded into it!

If you have another Qualcomm LG device, you can also follow this guide, you just need to enter the HiddenMenu dialer code specific to your device, and have carrier config files that are either specifically for your device, or from another phone that has the same chipset as your device* (*may or may not work).

Here's AT&T VoLTE working with a Tracfone AT&T sim card on my previously incompatible T-Mobile G8:
    1633502003068.png
    1633502017259.png

Hope this guide has helped you guys!

If VoLTE is still not working for you, then give johndaniel's method a try!
    Do you mind if you can send over the crossflashing steps? Been thinking of crossflashing my G8 to get rid of the T-Mobile ****ware and so I don't get blasted with a pink T-Mobile splash screen everytime I power on and off the phone lol.
    if there is no 9091 port,90f7 is ok。
    first download the newest driver from https://qcomdriver.com/qualcomm-usb-driver-v1-0-10061-1,install 。
    1696165204431.png
    hope to help you
    Thanks ! Some questions
    Was this menu available in Android 11 on korean phones ?
    Do you know if I need to root the pone to do so ? Is there a BIG chance to brick the phone ?
    Will I keep getting updates if one pops up (very low probability) ?
    Will I keep the Quad DAC feature if I change the firmware ?
    Do you know if I could directly put an european firmware ? In Europe it's another phone, the G8S not the G8...
    Field test menu is unavailable in korean models, no matter which android version.
    Root is not needed to cross flash LG ROM. It's needed for custom ROMs.
    I have cross flashed my V50 and I'm not getting updates with OTA. It tells me the phone is up to date.
    Quad DAC works if you flash original LG software.
    I wouldn't try to flash a ROM from another model. You'd better try to cross flash some US version if there is no european ROM for G8.
    If it's anything like the Sprint V50, see if 5689#*820# works. But I suspect that even if it works, there won't be a Field Test option.
    Yeah, same result.

If I use *#*#7262626#*#*, upon pressing the last * the code disappears and I'm still on the dialer.

Its weird, as far as I can tell... my device has VoLTE enabled on Tmobile, eventhough its DEFINITELY a Sprint model. Aside from that, I use Google Voice, which essentially lets me make calls and use data at the same time anyway.