• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[GUIDE] [NO ROOT REQUIRED] How to add VoLTE support for other carriers to the G8 (and other Qualcomm powered LG devices too!)

Search This thread

AsItLies

Nov 4, 2009
tucson
Google Pixel 3
Do you mind if you can send over the crossflashing steps? Been thinking of crossflashing my G8 to get rid of the T-Mobile ****ware and so I don't get blasted with a pink T-Mobile splash screen everytime I power on and off the phone lol.

Basically, in a nut shell, you need BL unlocked, magisk and twrp, and just flash the US OP partition, theres a little bit more, but that's the basics.

There's already a write up for doing the sprint version, you'll essentially do the same. Read ALL of that thread though, there's a lot of unnecessary stuff in there. Read the comments.

cheers

GnatGoSplat

Apr 29, 2007
On my Sprint G8X on 20p, simply replacing abl_a and abl_b with the special one used for BL unlocking made my phone think it's a T-Mobile one and enabled Field Test in the HiddenMenu. It's not necessary to do the BL unlock itself if you don't need it. Just thought I'd mention it in case anyone wants to try this on a Sprint phone.

C D

On my Sprint G8X on 20p, simply replacing abl_a and abl_b with the special one used for BL unlocking made my phone think it's a T-Mobile one and enabled Field Test in the HiddenMenu. It's not necessary to do the BL unlock itself if you don't need it. Just thought I'd mention it in case anyone wants to try this on a Sprint phone.
Interesting point. I have an extra unrooted Sprint V50 that I might try this on.

I'm assuming the overall steps go like this:

- Enter EDL mode
- Use QFIL and firehose to access partitions and back up abl_a and abl_b files
- Replace both abl_a and abl_b with the engineering abl_a.bin file from the bootloader unlock procedure
- Reboot into the regular Android system
- Do OP's procedure (dialer code varies by model number)
- Go back to EDL mode and use QFIL to restore the backed up abl_a and abl_b files

GnatGoSplat

Apr 29, 2007
Interesting point. I have an extra unrooted Sprint V50 that I might try this on.

I'm assuming the overall steps go like this:

- Enter EDL mode
- Use QFIL and firehose to access partitions and back up abl_a and abl_b files
- Replace both abl_a and abl_b with the engineering abl_a.bin file from the bootloader unlock procedure
- Reboot into the regular Android system
- Do OP's procedure (dialer code varies by model number)
- Go back to EDL mode and use QFIL to restore the backed up abl_a and abl_b files

Your steps are correct, except to keep TMO VoLTE, you'll have to skip restoring your original abl files. Restoring the Sprint abls makes TMO VoLTE not work for some reason, even with all the right profiles loaded - at least, that was the case for my G8X. Keeping the special abl file does have a side-effect: every time the phone is booted, it pops up a warning that says: "WARNING Current version is not available for user. Can't find matched carrier. Check NT-Code: 0" Other than that minor nuisance, I haven't experienced any issues.

On the G8X, TMO VoLTE actually works with the special abl file without adding any new profiles. However, I did OP's procedure to add TMO, ATT, and VZW anyway. Not sure it helps anything, but it does set the TMO profile to active when I checked it in PDC.

EDIT: Keeping the special abl probably only works on G8X. I was told the engineering abl used to BL unlock across all the recent LGs came from a G8X so only fully works on a G8X.

Last edited:

C D

Your steps are correct, except to keep TMO VoLTE, you'll have to skip restoring your original abl files. Restoring the Sprint abls makes TMO VoLTE not work for some reason, even with all the right profiles loaded - at least, that was the case for my G8X. Keeping the special abl file does have a side-effect: every time the phone is booted, it pops up a warning that says: "WARNING Current version is not available for user. Can't find matched carrier. Check NT-Code: 0" Other than that minor nuisance, I haven't experienced any issues.

On the G8X, TMO VoLTE actually works with the special abl file without adding any new profiles. However, I did OP's procedure to add TMO, ATT, and VZW anyway. Not sure it helps anything, but it does set the TMO profile to active when I checked it in PDC.

EDIT: Keeping the special abl probably only works on G8X. I was told the engineering abl used to BL unlock across all the recent LGs came from a G8X so only fully works on a G8X.
Looks like it's unfortunately still a no-go for the Sprint V50.

Even after putting in the engineering abl file to make it look like an LM-G850, the 546368 dialer code still doesn't work (tried 850, 450, 820, 500 for model numbers) while the Sprint alternative code 5689#*850# still gives the same options as out-of-the-box with no Field Test.

So I guess unlocking the bootloader and root access (to replace op partition files after which the 546368 code will work) are still needed for this particular model.

GnatGoSplat

Apr 29, 2007

Even after putting in the engineering abl file to make it look like an LM-G850, the 546368 dialer code still doesn't work (tried 850, 450, 820, 500 for model numbers) while the Sprint alternative code 5689#*850# still gives the same options as out-of-the-box with no Field Test.

So I guess unlocking the bootloader and root access (to replace op partition files after which the 546368 code will work) are still needed for this particular model.

That's too bad, but makes sense since the abl came from an 850.
I wonder if you can use abl files from a different branded or unbranded V50? I'd think if you're not planning to BL unlock, you wouldn't need it to be an engineering abl.

AsItLies

Nov 4, 2009
tucson
Google Pixel 3
I wonder if you can use abl files from a different branded or unbranded V50? I'd think if you're not planning to BL unlock, you wouldn't need it to be an engineering abl.

Just to clarify, it's whats in the OP partition that will (or won't) allow those dial codes to work. And yes, the engineering abl, being from a specific model / variant of android, will almost always mean the device won't boot when it's flashed to the abl partition.

So, if yours booted with it, and it seemed to somehow allow additional dial codes to work, then your OP partition somehow got the message it was a different variant device, and made them available. That's unusual, quite rare. Trying to repeat that with various other abl partitions from other devices / android versions is almost guaranteed to be a futile endeavor.

The best way to do this, as mentioned, is to use the US open OP partition, and make sure the totc file is set to your specific variant (of course). Then the phone will act / be much like the US Open variant does, have volte and vowifi, less bloat, etc.

But to get to that point, yes, bl unlocked and root / twrp needed.

cheers

Reactions: C D

smartphone_lg

Dec 4, 2015
LG V30
Korean not " field test"
Screenshot_20211010-194523.png

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211010-194523.png
    Screenshot_20211010-194523.png
    70.3 KB · Views: 7

petrusalvesba

Jun 2, 2021
can anyone send the modem profile to brazil, to vivo operator or oi, i would be very grateful if anyone could help

maksimbl4

Apr 10, 2013
I could not pick up configs from other phones that the phone would accept( apparently all the same it accepts only those configs that were in the firmware. please upload the files, who you can load from pdc, except korea and us

Results45

May 30, 2020
Does this work if I'm trying to get VoLTE working on a T-Mobile or Verizon Unlocked V50 after the supposed cutoff date when V50 are no longer officially supported?

noldaker

Nov 10, 2010
I am trying to use Straight Talk with ATT sim on a unlocked LM-G820TM. I have performed the steps OP laid out and I have the ATT showing under MCFG Status. However, I am still unable to receive calls on LTE. I am able to place call on LTE though. The support people just tell me I am SOL and need to get a new phone. Any advice?

Wish39

Jan 13, 2015
I am trying to use Straight Talk with ATT sim on a unlocked LM-G820TM. I have performed the steps OP laid out and I have the ATT showing under MCFG Status. However, I am still unable to receive calls on LTE. I am able to place call on LTE though. The support people just tell me I am SOL and need to get a new phone. Any advice?
Either you need to try setting another APN in the phone settings or something is up on Straight Talk's end. I can receive and place calls on LTE when using a Tracfone AT&T sim in my G820TM, same exact phone (and provider since Straight Talk is a Tracfone brand) as you.

gunnerone007

Oct 28, 2021
If I'm doing this on a AT&T version of the phone, and I'm trying to add VoLTE for a MVNO carrier that uses the T-Mobile networks. Would I choose a T-mobile modem profile in step 11?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I'm gonna keep the intro simple, been a longtime user here on XDA, and recently I found that my T-Mobile LG G8 only supported VoLTE and VoWifi on, you guessed it, T-Mobile! So I did some research, experimented with my G8 for a bit, and I now have a method that works and does not need root at all. Basically, what we are doing here is just loading carrier profiles into the phone's modem so that the phone is able to complete IMS registration and correctly provision VoLTE when you insert a SIM card from another carrier.

This method does not work on the Sprint G8, any other Sprint LG devices, and the Korean G8 since there is no Field Test option in the HiddenMenu in those devices.

Follow this post here, and make sure you read the original post in that thread as well. Also should work with other BL unlocked G8 models. Crossflash your G8 to Open US or Open CA firmware using this method! No unlocked bootloader or root needed!

Here are the steps:

1. Download the latest QPST Tools from here. Only runs on Windows. No Linux, sorry.

2. Extract the zip file you downloaded and open QPST.2.7.496.1.exe to install the QPST tools.

1633495073816.png

3. Once that is done, go to the Driver folder and open Qualcomm USB Driver V1.0.exe to install the drivers needed for the tool to communicate with your phone.

4. After that is done, there should be a QPST folder in your start menu. We'll come back to that later.

5. On your phone, go to the dialer and enter this code:
    Code:
    *#546368#*820#

6. The HiddenMenu should pop up, choose Field Test, then LTE Data Test, and change the Tethering Mode from Android to QMICM. I recommend leaving your phone in this menu so that it is easier to switch back to the normal Android USB connection mode when you are done.

1633495857477.png
    1633495872107.png
    1633495890722.png

7. Connect your phone to your computer, it should be detected as "Qualcomm HS-USB Modem 9091". In Device Manager it should show up under the Modems section.

8. Go to the QPST start menu folder and open the "PDC" application.

9. Go to the Device dropdown, there should be an item named "Qualcomm Wireless HS-USB Ethernet Adapter 9091". This is your phone, select it.
    1633496853860.png
    10. This is what you should see. Notice how only the original carrier's (T-Mobile) modem profile is loaded into the phone's modem. Pretty lazy if you ask me.
    1633497146862.png
    11. Now you will need some modem profiles to load into your phone! As a little starter pack, here are a few carrier modem profiles for US, Canadian and Korean carriers. Download them here. I have extracted these from my phone's modem_a partition using QFIL Partition Manager with the LG SD855 firehose, and these are present in the modem_b partition as well. LG left all of these profiles inside the phone but only actually loads one of them into the modem on carrier models....

These profiles may also work on the G8x, V50, and G8s since those phones have the same SOC as the G8, and by extension the same modem chip.

12. Once you are ready, press the Load button and navigate to whichever carrier profile you want to add, I will load AT&T as an example. After going inside the folder for the carrier you want to load, there should be a file named "mcfg_sw.mbn". This is the profile. Don't bother adding any profile that has "row" in it's name, those usually don't give you support for VoLTE.
    1633498811451.png
    13. When you are ready, click Open and your carrier profile will be loaded into your phone! You can go and add as many carriers as you want, I loaded all US and Korean, and some Canadian carrier profiles into my G8.
    1633501377502.png

14. When you are done, go back to the LTE Data Test menu and set the tethering mode back to Android. Your phone now has VoLTE support for the carriers that you loaded into it!

If you have another Qualcomm LG device, you can also follow this guide, you just need to enter the HiddenMenu dialer code specific to your device, and have carrier config files that are either specifically for your device, or from another phone that has the same chipset as your device* (*may or may not work).

Here's AT&T VoLTE working with a Tracfone AT&T sim card on my previously incompatible T-Mobile G8:
    1633502003068.png
    1633502017259.png

Hope this guide has helped you guys!
    If it's anything like the Sprint V50, see if 5689#*820# works. But I suspect that even if it works, there won't be a Field Test option.
    Yeah, same result.

If I use *#*#7262626#*#*, upon pressing the last * the code disappears and I'm still on the dialer.

Just to clarify, it's whats in the OP partition that will (or won't) allow those dial codes to work. And yes, the engineering abl, being from a specific model / variant of android, will almost always mean the device won't boot when it's flashed to the abl partition.

So, if yours booted with it, and it seemed to somehow allow additional dial codes to work, then your OP partition somehow got the message it was a different variant device, and made them available. That's unusual, quite rare. Trying to repeat that with various other abl partitions from other devices / android versions is almost guaranteed to be a futile endeavor.

The best way to do this, as mentioned, is to use the US open OP partition, and make sure the totc file is set to your specific variant (of course). Then the phone will act / be much like the US Open variant does, have volte and vowifi, less bloat, etc.

But to get to that point, yes, bl unlocked and root / twrp needed.

cheers