[GUIDE][NOOB-FRIENDLY] How to take logcat

Is this thread noob-friendly for taking logcat?

• Total voters
Search This thread

Niku-Droid

May 27, 2014
So,
SGS users, here is my another thread, for guys, who want to help devs of our sgs community.
;)

Devs asking you to get a logcat and give?? Yes it helps a lot for devs if you give logcat to solve problem. So dont wait till devs ask you to get a logcat! Just give them a logcat when you tell them this/that doesnt work. This way theirs and yours time will be saved and unnecessary posts will be avoided.
Now i will give you simple steps to do it. There are two main ways to do a logcat, 1. within android device, and 2. through adb using PC.​
WITHIN ANDROID DEVICE METHOD:

• 1. Logcat within android device can be done in one of two ways, through a Logcat app: Difficulty --> Very Easy
    Here are two good apps: aLogcat or Catlog
    Both of these programs can dump their logs to a text file, which is very useful for debugging. Or, you can do it in terminal emulator (same rules as running through adb(see below))

• 2. Through Terminal method: Difficulty --> Almost Easy
  • Install Android Terminal Emulator app from Play Store..
  • Open terminal app you just installed..
  • Enter these commands:
  • After every command press ENTER/SUBMIT button
    Code:
    su
  • then accept the superuser popup message[it comes only first time if you select checkbox "remember the choice"]
    Code:
    logcat -v long > /sdcard/test.log
    Or use this command:

The -v long puts the text in a nice format that is more easily readable. The *:W will search for all warnings, errors, and fatals, while the *:S will silence everything else.
    So essentially, u will have a .txt file that has a log of all warnings and up, nothing else, and it'll look pretty too!
    Code:
    logcat -v long *:W*:S > /sdcard/filename.txt
  • now press home button to minimize the terminal..
  • and do the task which is giving problems/ whichever task log you need to give to dev..
  • then drag the notification bar..
  • select terminal app in it..
  • now press and hold "Volume down button" and touch c button on keyboard.
  • This will stop the command..
  • now use this command twice
    Code:
    exit
  • Now app will get closed. go to sdcard to find test.log file.. upload it to here so that dev can access it..

Thank you for reading it with patience :) hope you can get logcat now..

Note: if you are stuck in boot and want to take logcat.. READ LOGCAT FROM ADB METHOD BELOW.. the above one is simple method for these tasks for eg.. if you are having some force close of app/lag etc.. then after entering second command press enter and then use home button to minimize terminal.. dont worry it will take log.. now open that app and once it gives force close then click on it and then open terminal again and press volume down button + c to terminate command.. then use exit command two times... done.. now go to sdcard and find a.txt file

From PC[i.e, ADB] LOGCAT METHOD :Difficulty --> Medium

There is an advantage here. As doing this way, you can start using logcat when your device boots. There are 2 ways here again..

PREPARATION:
  • In your android device, go to settings --> applications --> development -->
  • Check USB Debugging
  • Make sure your device driver is already installed otherwise install kies software which will install drivers too.. Get kies from This LINK
  • You need to download this ADB.zip file i made to your system.. Download link
  • Extract the ADB.zip file from any applications like IZarc/7Zip/winzip/winrar.

ADB USAGE INSTRUCTIONS:
  • Then go to Android folder.. inside that you should find 3 files.. Now open a command prompt or terminal in that path..(wherever you extracted it.. use cd command)
    Then inside that path.. type
    Code:
    adb logcat > filename.txt
    Or
    Code:
    Or
    Code:
  • Now perform tasks in android device of which you need to give logcat for the devs. Then use CTRL+C to end the command.
  • Now find the filename.txt inside the Android folder which has logcat. Upload this file and give link to dev..

The full list of options that can be used with logcat command is as follows:
  • V — Verbose (lowest priority)
  • D — Debug
  • I — Info (default priority)
  • W — Warning
  • E — Error
  • F — Fatal
  • S — Silent (highest priority, on which nothing is ever printed)

You can replace the *:W with any other letter from above to get more info.

Last edited:

T3snake

Dec 27, 2013
Vadodara
hmn nice thread
most guides are user friendlyy if the ppl read a few sentences
just like all other threads the self aclaimed noobs will just ignore this thread and when asked for logcats theyll just post how to take logcat when they can just type that up at google or had read here

also im not able to take logcat at boot can u post up how to do that

Sent from my GT-S5282 using Tapatalk

Niku-Droid

May 27, 2014
hmn nice thread
most guides are user friendlyy if the ppl read a few sentences
just like all other threads the self aclaimed noobs will just ignore this thread and when asked for logcats theyll just post how to take logcat when they can just type that up at google or had read here

also im not able to take logcat at boot can u post up how to do that

Sent from my GT-S5282 using Tapatalk

hmm... dont worry bro, we will give them link to this thread when they ask this silly question ;) n hv u tried taking logcat using adb, i m sure that it can take logcat as soon as device is booted :)

T3snake

Dec 27, 2013
Vadodara
hmm... dont worry bro, we will give them link to this thread when they ask this silly question ;) n hv u tried taking logcat using adb, i m sure that it can take logcat as soon as device is booted :)

of course i used adb
i want to take logcat while star is booting
but device doesnt show in adb until the booting is complete

BaiSheng10081

Mar 28, 2018
When the projection function is turned on, the phone will reboot.

Sorry, I am a Taiwanese, so my English is not very good. I hope you can understand.
My whyre will restart whenever the projection function is turned on. This problem is very annoying because I use it often.
I hope that ArrowOS can be more perfect in Chinese culture, otherwise it will be difficult for my newbie, and how do you solve the 4G signal problem?
I use a lot of OS, but their 4G can't work, which makes me very troubled. As a geek, I want to learn how to deal with this.
The system you made is really great, I like it very much, I hope you will surpass PE.

Ganuabhi29

Apr 17, 2020
Network problem on moto g4 plus of version Arrow Os 9

Doesn't access network problem while installed

Jhensser Valenzuela

Sep 26, 2021
the bug that I found for the moment was that it does not allow changing the file transfer mode when connecting the usb cable to the computer

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So,
    SGS users, here is my another thread, for guys, who want to help devs of our sgs community.
    ;)

Devs asking you to get a logcat and give?? Yes it helps a lot for devs if you give logcat to solve problem. So dont wait till devs ask you to get a logcat! Just give them a logcat when you tell them this/that doesnt work. This way theirs and yours time will be saved and unnecessary posts will be avoided.
    Now i will give you simple steps to do it. There are two main ways to do a logcat, 1. within android device, and 2. through adb using PC.​
    WITHIN ANDROID DEVICE METHOD:

• 1. Logcat within android device can be done in one of two ways, through a Logcat app: Difficulty --> Very Easy
      Here are two good apps: aLogcat or Catlog
      Both of these programs can dump their logs to a text file, which is very useful for debugging. Or, you can do it in terminal emulator (same rules as running through adb(see below))

• 2. Through Terminal method: Difficulty --> Almost Easy
    • Install Android Terminal Emulator app from Play Store..
    • Open terminal app you just installed..
    • Enter these commands:
    • After every command press ENTER/SUBMIT button
      Code:
      su
    • then accept the superuser popup message[it comes only first time if you select checkbox "remember the choice"]
      Code:
      Or use this command:

The -v long puts the text in a nice format that is more easily readable. The *:W will search for all warnings, errors, and fatals, while the *:S will silence everything else.
      So essentially, u will have a .txt file that has a log of all warnings and up, nothing else, and it'll look pretty too!
      Code:
    • now press home button to minimize the terminal..
    • and do the task which is giving problems/ whichever task log you need to give to dev..
    • then drag the notification bar..
    • select terminal app in it..
    • now press and hold "Volume down button" and touch c button on keyboard.
    • This will stop the command..
    • now use this command twice
      Code:
      exit
    • Now app will get closed. go to sdcard to find test.log file.. upload it to here so that dev can access it..

Thank you for reading it with patience :) hope you can get logcat now..

Note: if you are stuck in boot and want to take logcat.. READ LOGCAT FROM ADB METHOD BELOW.. the above one is simple method for these tasks for eg.. if you are having some force close of app/lag etc.. then after entering second command press enter and then use home button to minimize terminal.. dont worry it will take log.. now open that app and once it gives force close then click on it and then open terminal again and press volume down button + c to terminate command.. then use exit command two times... done.. now go to sdcard and find a.txt file

From PC[i.e, ADB] LOGCAT METHOD :Difficulty --> Medium

There is an advantage here. As doing this way, you can start using logcat when your device boots. There are 2 ways here again..

PREPARATION:
    • In your android device, go to settings --> applications --> development -->
    • Check USB Debugging
    • Make sure your device driver is already installed otherwise install kies software which will install drivers too.. Get kies from This LINK
    • You need to download this ADB.zip file i made to your system.. Download link
    • Extract the ADB.zip file from any applications like IZarc/7Zip/winzip/winrar.

ADB USAGE INSTRUCTIONS:
    • Then go to Android folder.. inside that you should find 3 files.. Now open a command prompt or terminal in that path..(wherever you extracted it.. use cd command)
      Then inside that path.. type
      Code:
      adb logcat > filename.txt
      Or
      Code:
      Or
      Code:
    • Now perform tasks in android device of which you need to give logcat for the devs. Then use CTRL+C to end the command.
    • Now find the filename.txt inside the Android folder which has logcat. Upload this file and give link to dev..

The full list of options that can be used with logcat command is as follows:
    • V — Verbose (lowest priority)
    • D — Debug
    • I — Info (default priority)
    • W — Warning
    • E — Error
    • F — Fatal
    • S — Silent (highest priority, on which nothing is ever printed)

You can replace the *:W with any other letter from above to get more info.