[GUIDE] Noobs guide to Rooting and ROM flashing

Search This thread

Leemur89

Jan 16, 2012
Putrajaya
Hello everyone,

I'm am pretty sure there are many guides in rooting your htc phone as well as flashing a custom ROM. I am also pretty sure that there are guides out there that uses BIG words with not enough Lament words, so here is a simple noob friendly guide to basically make your life easier.

1. Download and install HTCDriver3.0.0.007.exe from http://unrevoked.com/rootwiki/doku.php/public/revolutionary
2. Download revolutionary-0.4pre4.zip for windows from http://revolutionary.io
3. Extract it and run revolutionary.exe
4. Connect HTC Sensation to PC and select HTC Sync.
5. revolutionary.exe should detect your HTC Sensation phone and provide your with details about hboot and serial number.
6. select the hboot version and type the serial number into the box and hit enter.
7. It will now try to root phone. Wait and the phone will restart a few times.
8. When it's done, it'll ask to install clockworkmod recovery (cwm). Choose Y for yes or N to refuse. Install recovery based on what the ROM suggests. For ARHD, it suggested EXT4 touch recovery, so press N.
9. Press volume button up or down to navigate and select reboot phone by pressing power button.
10. Download EXT4 touch recovery at http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1377759 (thanks to Madmaxx82)
11. Read the Read Me to learn how to install EXT4 Touch recovery.
12. Download firmware 3.32 for the related CID and MID. Be sure to check your phone's CID and MID
13. Download Super Wipe at http://xda.androidrevolution.nl/db_...ndroid_Revolution_HD_Super_Wipe_Sensation.zip
14. Download the ROM found at http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1098849 (credit to Mike1986)
15. Copy the file PG58IMG.zip to the root of microSD. (root - meaning not in a folder)
16. Copy the super wipe and 6.6.3 ROM zip files to the root of microSD.
17. Power off your phone/ Remove battery from phone
18. Hold volume-down and power button simultaneously to get into bootloader mode.
19. When in Bootloader, it will automatically ask you to update your firmware, press 'yes.'
20. Once the update is complete, immediately take out your battery. (it may sound scary, but it's actually quite safe)
21. Take your MicroSD out and connect it to your pc to remove the PG58IMG.zip and insert it back once completed.
22. Get into boot loader once again (volume down + power button)
23. Now your bootloader screen should read:
-revolutionary-
PYRAMID PVT SHIP S-OFF RL
HBOOT-1.27.1100
RADIO-11.22.3504.07M

24. Select 'recovery' and it will automatically lead you into 4EXT recovery (the one you installed earlier)
25. Install 'superwipe' script.
26. Select 'install from sd card' and look for the Custom ROM you have copied into the root of your Sd card.
27. During the installation you will be asked the following questions:
-Do you have a TMOUS sensation 4g?.
-Do you want to flash the sony bravia engine support?.
-Do you want to flash Stock or Custom Kernel?
-If you picked custom then you will be given a choice between Faux or Sebastian Kernel
-Do you want to flash HQ camera?
Once again this is all your choice, please read up on what each of them does.
28. When the ROM is fully flashed select back
29. Select reboot from 4ext recovery
30. Done, enjoy ICS with Beats Audio, the first boot should take around 5-10 mins

HAVE FUN ROOTING AND FLASHING CUSTOM ROM NOOBS :-D

Just remember, do this at your own risk, I will not take any responsibility for you Bricking your phone***

Last edited:

joaquinf

Sep 17, 2010
Bucaramanga
Some feedback to your thread

Hi, i wanted to give some feedback about this.
  1. Regarding the content of your post, you might want to correct some things you've wrote that make the guide not so simply but confusing and inaccurate... sheer constructive criticism.
    • "Download firmware 3.30 for the related CID and MID.". If you are pretending to guide someone on how to flash any "newly" released ICS ROM you need to download and flash 3.32 firmware, not 3.30.
    • "This phone MID is modelid: PG5813000 and CID is cidnum: HTC__044. So if new kernel appear in the future, be sure to download from this category only.". You meant your specific phone, right?. Every guy out there has a different phone and more likely a different CID. There is a CID thread just in case you want to check out some of the available CIDs. Also, (and even more confusing) CID and model aren't related in any ways to kernel or firmware:confused:, what do you mean with "a new kernel appear in the future"? we have new kernels almost every 2 days from faux, sebastian, show-p and other developers, and what category are you talking about specifically?:confused:
    • In the third point you wrote It will now trying to root phone. Wait and the phone will restart a few times. Revolutionay tool is intended to S-OFF the device, not rooting. Then your guide isn't about how to root the phone as the thread title says ... i think this is the guide noobs are actually looking for.
  2. If you are quoting or using content from others posts the correct thing to do is to give proper credit to the author i.e: Mike1986., authors of revolutionary tool, madmaxx among others.
  3. I'm speaking for myself here and i want to ask you kindly to credit my work in the things you've pretty much copied literally from my thread [GUIDE][APR.16.12] How to flash ICS 3.32 firmware | flash/update ARHD 6.6.x ICS ROM, first post, steps 4 and 5.
    I'm reffering to steps 18 to 37 in your guide which are 99% the exact same words i've wrote in my guide. I've spent some time and effort writing that guide, While i don't see why you wanna re-write my guide If you want to use my work it's ok, i don't mind, but please at least give proper credit and don't go around saying is your guide and your work when 50% of it's copy-pasted from my thread.
  4. Also i've taken down the download link of 4EXT recovery touch flashing tool (steps 11 and 12 in your post) which i've modded and packed myself and it's also posted in my guide, if you want the dropbox download link i can give it to you, but again, proper credit.
  5. You've open a thread in Android development section, and this is clearly not a development thread. Pleas ask a mod to move your thread to the correct section. Nevermind, thread has been moved already. Thanks to the mods.
Thanks

Last edited:

Keupie

May 12, 2010
Apeldoorn
Couldn't agree more, it's not that we don't appreciate the effort but there are enough guides on this forum and all the info is there for grabs, you just have to find it. There's no need to create new guides because people don't use the search button.

Leemur89

Jan 16, 2012
Putrajaya
Hello everyone.. Not that i wanted to copy any of your work and take credit for it, as i have never seen your guide.. I am sorry if i have offended you in any way.. I practically just wrote down what my friend told me over the phone, as he was explaining to me the proper way to root as well as put in a custom ROM on my sensation. I did not in any way meant or did not know that i was copying anybody's work. As far as i know, i only wrote this guide to help beginners, as i was once one. The only guide i have read was mike's guide on the front page of the ARHD thread, which at first i did not really understand. Another thing, it's not that i didnt want to give mike credit and take all the credit for my own, as you can see i am using's Mike's ARHD banner as well as i have given links to his thread. As for your guide, i will rephrase everything if it makes you feel better:) cheers mate~ The most important thing for me is to expand the sensation community.

Leemur89

Jan 16, 2012
Putrajaya
Couldn't agree more, it's not that we don't appreciate the effort but there are enough guides on this forum and all the info is there for grabs, you just have to find it. There's no need to create new guides because people don't use the search button.

Brother, if there is enough guides on this forum, why do new beginners always ask the same questions? :)..well let me tell you my experience, understand certain guides is a bit difficult as they contain words not familiar to beginners. Once again, i made this guide so i wouldnt have to refer to anyone else's guide if someone else needed my assistance/help. cheers mate~ :D

Leemur89

Jan 16, 2012
Putrajaya
Would like to once again apologize for my premature posting of this thread. I should have asked my friend what his sources were. Thanks again all for the heads up :)

Sgt.Incontro

Jan 24, 2012
Bristol

Well there is no absolute need, but then again he is free to do as he pleases.

If he (or ANYONE for that matter) is simply trying to help the noobs that come on here every day asking, "How i root plzzz help thx", then I am all for it.

But I don't think anyone should be denied the right to create these sorts of guides. Plus, the poorer written ones eventually die anyway, its the way a forum works.

Would like to once again apologize for my premature posting of this thread. I should have asked my friend what his sources were. Thanks again all for the heads up :)

No problem, but next time read up a bit more, and be more precise. Also, remember to give credit to the required people, as somebody stated earlier. ;)

Reactions: Leemur89

Keupie

May 12, 2010
Apeldoorn
Like i said, offcourse we appreciate the effort! What i'm trying to say is that people need to use the search function more. There are enough guides, If you don't understand something in the guide than ask it in the thread, no need to make a new thread about it.

Also, my experience is that If you use the search function enough, you will learn a lot about your phone and the ways to modify it. With that knowledge you can help other people. It's a vicious circle ;-)

Sent from my HTC Sensation using XDA

Reactions: Leemur89

hortaja

Jul 3, 2010
Im lost

OK guys, I have never rooted a phone but decided today to give it a try, why.. first cause I dont wish to wait till June for ICS and second becuase I saw this simple looking step-by step guide......so I thought simple.

First off I am PC savy but NOT at all cell phone hacking savy. All of this jargun you all use CID, MID, RUU, 4EXT means nothing to me and I have gotten lost.

I started with the instruction on this thread but then got the bright idea of seeing if there were some youtube step-by-steps how to's and there were. But the two videos I watched must have been older cause they had one major step differnt.

They say to type Y to Install recovery mod after S OFF, and I did. so now the next steps in the video dont work and I have veired off track what you all say to do.... I'm scared and lost.

I'm a realtor and my phone is my money maker, I can't brick it.

Someone help please.
Jerry
954-214-6104

Last edited:

Leemur89

Jan 16, 2012
Putrajaya
OK guys, I have never rooted a phone but decided today to give it a try, why.. first cause I dont wish to wait till June for ICS and second becuase I saw this simple looking step-by step guide......so I thought simple.

First off I am PC savy but NOT at all cell phone hacking savy. All of this jargun you all use CID, MID, RUU, 4EXT means nothing to me and I have gotten lost.

I started with the instruction on this thread but then got the bright idea of seeing if there were some youtube step-by-steps how to's and there were. But the two videos I watched must have been older cause they had one major step differnt.

They say to type Y to Install recovery mod after S OFF, and I did. so now the next steps in the video dont work and I have veired off track what you all say to do.... I'm scared and lost.

Someone help please.
Jerry
954-214-6104

Bro, i understand what you're saying.. haha trust me.. My only advice to you is.. If i were you and my phone was of great importance. Don't root your device.. Even if the process is quite easy and most of the time people don't brick their devices, there is still a small percentage.. The best thing you could do is update to ICS via official HTC release, which if i am not mistaken, has already been done in many countries. :) Cheers mate.

heavy_metal_man

Nov 6, 2011

Someone help please.
Jerry
954-214-6104

Ok pal paste us a link to the video you followed. Now, does your phone still start up properly? If so then this should be easy. Power off the device fully. Remove the battery for around 20 seconds or so then reinsert. While holding down volume down also hold power until the device boots to bootloader. (Bootloader is equal to BIOS for a PC). It will give you some information. Post that Info up here. If it says s-off then using the volume buttons scroll down to recovery and push power. If you see a red triangle and/or exclamation mark then you have a stock recovery. If it says clockwork mod recovery then you are s-off with a custom recovery and all seemingly has went well :D:D
Also Cid stands for carrier identification and is used for carrier information and software I think. Mid is used to reference the country/ area you are in, for software as well as networks. They are both used together. Ruu stands for rom utility update and is a HTC program for updating HTC phone software and ext4 is a custom recovery that uses an exit4 partition on the sdcard I believe :D
sent from my android powered beast!

Last edited:

Leemur89

Jan 16, 2012
Putrajaya

Someone help please.
Jerry
954-214-6104

oppps. XD guess i didnt answer your questions properly..sorry i misread.. The first thing we need to know is whether or not your phone can start up and does not just blank out when you turn it on.

hortaja

Jul 3, 2010
Hey guys, thank you for the quick replies. Yes thank goodness it does power up.

ok here is the youtube video i followed, opps.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvg0i8in96M

All I got was to turn the phone to s-off but not rooted.

So yes the phone functions, but not my voicemails. It now say
"This phone was associated with a different account. Do you want to delete the exsisting voicemails?"

So I would like to proceed with the upgrade to ICS, unless becuase I am SUCH a noob you all think I should just some how revert back to S-on and leave my phone alone?

I just read here all the time, you should root, its SOOO easy... and it not if you are a noob.. :)

Thank you all for your time, and I love this site.
Jerry
954-214-6104

heavy_metal_man

Nov 6, 2011
Hey guys, thank you for the quick replies. Yes thank goodness it does power up.

ok here is the youtube video i followed, opps.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvg0i8in96M

All I got was to turn the phone to s-off but not rooted.

So yes the phone functions, but not my voicemails. It now say
"This phone was associated with a different account. Do you want to delete the exsisting voicemails?"

So I would like to proceed with the upgrade to ICS, unless becuase I am SUCH a noob you all think I should just some how revert back to S-on and leave my phone alone?

I just read here all the time, you should root, its SOOO easy... and it not if you are a noob.. :)

Thank you all for your time, and I love this site.
Jerry
954-214-6104

i cant see it being an issue bud :D firstly, i am yet to own this device (but soon! roll on payday ^^) so i can only take you as far as rooting and custom recoverys, but for ics updates youd best ask others :) go to this guide http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1192300 and follow steps 2 through to 4 and then you will have a custom recovery, full root and supercid ^^ after that if you want to try an ice cream sandwich rom look
at the dev thread here. http://xdaforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1112&order=desc&page=2 always double check that you understand what your about to do before you do it, and all threads *should* have full instructions on how to flash them. remember that installing a custom rom will WIPE ALL YOUR DATA so remember to do a nandroid back up from your recovery :) good luck pal and enjoy :cool:

hortaja

Jul 3, 2010
OK guys, well I did not chicken out. I followed the video once again, but this time used my original stock SD card and everything worked. I am rooted! so now to the next steps...

wish me luck.

Jerry

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello everyone,

I'm am pretty sure there are many guides in rooting your htc phone as well as flashing a custom ROM. I am also pretty sure that there are guides out there that uses BIG words with not enough Lament words, so here is a simple noob friendly guide to basically make your life easier.

1. Download and install HTCDriver3.0.0.007.exe from http://unrevoked.com/rootwiki/doku.php/public/revolutionary
    2. Download revolutionary-0.4pre4.zip for windows from http://revolutionary.io
    3. Extract it and run revolutionary.exe
    4. Connect HTC Sensation to PC and select HTC Sync.
    5. revolutionary.exe should detect your HTC Sensation phone and provide your with details about hboot and serial number.
    6. select the hboot version and type the serial number into the box and hit enter.
    7. It will now try to root phone. Wait and the phone will restart a few times.
    8. When it's done, it'll ask to install clockworkmod recovery (cwm). Choose Y for yes or N to refuse. Install recovery based on what the ROM suggests. For ARHD, it suggested EXT4 touch recovery, so press N.
    9. Press volume button up or down to navigate and select reboot phone by pressing power button.
    10. Download EXT4 touch recovery at http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1377759 (thanks to Madmaxx82)
    11. Read the Read Me to learn how to install EXT4 Touch recovery.
    12. Download firmware 3.32 for the related CID and MID. Be sure to check your phone's CID and MID
    13. Download Super Wipe at http://xda.androidrevolution.nl/db_...ndroid_Revolution_HD_Super_Wipe_Sensation.zip
    14. Download the ROM found at http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1098849 (credit to Mike1986)
    15. Copy the file PG58IMG.zip to the root of microSD. (root - meaning not in a folder)
    16. Copy the super wipe and 6.6.3 ROM zip files to the root of microSD.
    17. Power off your phone/ Remove battery from phone
    18. Hold volume-down and power button simultaneously to get into bootloader mode.
    19. When in Bootloader, it will automatically ask you to update your firmware, press 'yes.'
    20. Once the update is complete, immediately take out your battery. (it may sound scary, but it's actually quite safe)
    21. Take your MicroSD out and connect it to your pc to remove the PG58IMG.zip and insert it back once completed.
    22. Get into boot loader once again (volume down + power button)
    23. Now your bootloader screen should read:
    -revolutionary-
    PYRAMID PVT SHIP S-OFF RL
    HBOOT-1.27.1100
    RADIO-11.22.3504.07M

24. Select 'recovery' and it will automatically lead you into 4EXT recovery (the one you installed earlier)
    25. Install 'superwipe' script.
    26. Select 'install from sd card' and look for the Custom ROM you have copied into the root of your Sd card.
    27. During the installation you will be asked the following questions:
    -Do you have a TMOUS sensation 4g?.
    -Do you want to flash the sony bravia engine support?.
    -Do you want to flash Stock or Custom Kernel?
    -If you picked custom then you will be given a choice between Faux or Sebastian Kernel
    -Do you want to flash HQ camera?
    Once again this is all your choice, please read up on what each of them does.
    28. When the ROM is fully flashed select back
    29. Select reboot from 4ext recovery
    30. Done, enjoy ICS with Beats Audio, the first boot should take around 5-10 mins

HAVE FUN ROOTING AND FLASHING CUSTOM ROM NOOBS :-D

Just remember, do this at your own risk, I will not take any responsibility for you Bricking your phone***
    Some feedback to your thread

Hi, i wanted to give some feedback about this.
    1. Regarding the content of your post, you might want to correct some things you've wrote that make the guide not so simply but confusing and inaccurate... sheer constructive criticism.
      • "Download firmware 3.30 for the related CID and MID.". If you are pretending to guide someone on how to flash any "newly" released ICS ROM you need to download and flash 3.32 firmware, not 3.30.
      • "This phone MID is modelid: PG5813000 and CID is cidnum: HTC__044. So if new kernel appear in the future, be sure to download from this category only.". You meant your specific phone, right?. Every guy out there has a different phone and more likely a different CID. There is a CID thread just in case you want to check out some of the available CIDs. Also, (and even more confusing) CID and model aren't related in any ways to kernel or firmware:confused:, what do you mean with "a new kernel appear in the future"? we have new kernels almost every 2 days from faux, sebastian, show-p and other developers, and what category are you talking about specifically?:confused:
      • In the third point you wrote It will now trying to root phone. Wait and the phone will restart a few times. Revolutionay tool is intended to S-OFF the device, not rooting. Then your guide isn't about how to root the phone as the thread title says ... i think this is the guide noobs are actually looking for.
    2. If you are quoting or using content from others posts the correct thing to do is to give proper credit to the author i.e: Mike1986., authors of revolutionary tool, madmaxx among others.
    3. I'm speaking for myself here and i want to ask you kindly to credit my work in the things you've pretty much copied literally from my thread [GUIDE][APR.16.12] How to flash ICS 3.32 firmware | flash/update ARHD 6.6.x ICS ROM, first post, steps 4 and 5.
      I'm reffering to steps 18 to 37 in your guide which are 99% the exact same words i've wrote in my guide. I've spent some time and effort writing that guide, While i don't see why you wanna re-write my guide If you want to use my work it's ok, i don't mind, but please at least give proper credit and don't go around saying is your guide and your work when 50% of it's copy-pasted from my thread.
    4. Also i've taken down the download link of 4EXT recovery touch flashing tool (steps 11 and 12 in your post) which i've modded and packed myself and it's also posted in my guide, if you want the dropbox download link i can give it to you, but again, proper credit.
    5. You've open a thread in Android development section, and this is clearly not a development thread. Pleas ask a mod to move your thread to the correct section. Nevermind, thread has been moved already. Thanks to the mods.
    Thanks

Well there is no absolute need, but then again he is free to do as he pleases.

If he (or ANYONE for that matter) is simply trying to help the noobs that come on here every day asking, "How i root plzzz help thx", then I am all for it.

But I don't think anyone should be denied the right to create these sorts of guides. Plus, the poorer written ones eventually die anyway, its the way a forum works.

No problem, but next time read up a bit more, and be more precise. Also, remember to give credit to the required people, as somebody stated earlier. ;)
    Brother, if there is enough guides on this forum, why do new beginners always ask the same questions? :)

Sometimes it's just sheer laziness. Other times they may not understand other guides or just need reassurance.

Either way, I appreciate you taking the time to create this.