• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[GUIDE/ODIN/FW/BL] SM-P610 USA/XAR WIFI ONLY: Stock Firmwares + Modded BL WarningText

Search This thread

i5lee8bit

Jul 18, 2006
New Jersey
THIS IS YOUR FIRST WARNING (WILL BE REITERATED PLENTY OF TIMES!) IN BIG RED BOLD LETTERS - THESE FILES ARE FROM/FOR THE USA ("XAR") REGION, SM-P610 WIFI MODEL ONLY!
(with the exception of the Odin utility, as well as possibly the modified boot splash screen, which may work on other variants, though untested and done solely at your own risk - read all the notes!!)​

I already went through the work, so I figured I would share these files for those who also own the same exact tablet. Again, it's for the USA/XAR region Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 Lite WiFi Model ONLY - "SM-P610" / "gta4xlwifi". LTE model is a different variant; do NOT flash the stock firmware files to that device! Also, sorry, I will not support or answer questions for other variants (other than what I will mention in this OP). Downloading firmwares for other variants will be a huge PITA, and I don't have / pay for any "premium" accounts which would allow me to quickly download the huge firmware files. I'm only sharing these I'm posting because I already took the time to acquire and archive them for personal usage, and might as well share them for those who own the same device / variant.

Use these files at your own risk, and only flash if you know what you're doing!! I'm not responsible for any problems user may incur from usage of these files, the usual warnings apply, etc. This device is just a backup / playaround device for me, and so it doesn't get daily usage out of me, nor will I likely be very active on this subforum (sorry! just being honest). Also, I immediately installed LOS on my device anyway, so I don't run stock ROM myself and therefore won't be sharing pre-patched Magisk boot images either. Sorry to those who are used to that from me =)

So anyway... what's in this post?
  • Odin3 v3.14.4 (version I've been using on this device, and working perfectly fine as of this initial posting)
  • Stock firmware zips for USA/"XAR" Region SM-P610, WiFi Only
  • Modified BL file (Odin-flashable), to remove the warning boot text

Odin3 v3.14.4:
I posted this in another thread, but figured I would also link to it here so it's easy to find in one place. This worked perfectly fine for me to root / install TWRP / flash BL files, etc.
Download Link: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=10763459528675582443

Stock Firmware Files:
USA/XAR WIFI ONLY! October 2020 Update - Firmware Version P610XXU2BTJ5
Download Link: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=10763459528675592742

USA/XAR WIFI ONLY! September 2020 Update - Firmware Version P610XXU2BTI3
Download Link: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=10763459528675592159

Firmware files for other variants, see this post. Follow the links, use the resources, consider the context for other variants: https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=83083249&postcount=2

Modified [BL-slot] Odin-Flashable File To Remove Warning Splash Screen Text:
My Thoughts On This...After unlocking the bootloader and flashing non-stock images, we all know we end up with that annoying, ugly splash screen screaming that the device is modified. Most of us modifying our devices understand the security implications involved, and ironically choose to modify our devices to increase security in other ways. Yet, these warning splash screens, in the unfortunate event of possible theft, may very well end up being the reason a more tech-savvy thief is able to break into the device, or find someone who can. So, thanks to users' posts Awesomeslayerg's hint and blascogm's guide, I quickly came up with an Odin-flashable file to change the splash screen, as seen below:
(if the pic doesn't show, probably the imgur link I used is dead, but I also attached it to this post)
CepQxGZ.jpg

I know some people may be thinking "why not just remove the PRESS POWER KEY TO CONTINUE line completely and have it stay at the normal boot screen seamlessly the whole time", and the reason I decided not to do this is because it generally wouldn't make the average person suspect the device is modified, and it's still good for us to know that it's at the boot stage where we can hit the power key to skip the ~10 second timeout. It's exactly the same image, so it's still very seamless and stock-like. I even took the time to center the power key text exactly, by the pixel, from left to right and from top bottom relative to the knox and android logos.. ; )

And if it really bothers you that much, follow the guide I linked above and do it yourself. =)

I should also mention that, for our devices, the .bin.lz4 file that needs to be decrypted is actually "up_param.bin.lz4" and not "param.bin.lz4" as suggested in the guide, as it's for a different device. You will need the lz4 utility (check Awesomeslayerg's thread, or google lz4 github) to decrypt the lz4 file to a regular bin file, and then you can extract and/or replace the .jpg files using an archiver program (I recommend 7-zip for this).

The hash checksums for every single file/jpg in each up_param.bin were identical between the September and October firmwares. Therefore, at least as of this posting, the same modified Odin-flashable file will work on either firmware version, and likely future versions until they make any significant changes. I did test this myself too btw. Also, if you look at the structure and contents of the up_param.bin file for yourself, you'll see that they are simply .jpg files containing the screens, backgrounds, and text you're all familiar with when going into bootloader / download mode. Assuming they follow the same file naming structure, I suspect you can probably flash this to other variants, although it will change the text language to English (assuming they localize the bootloader / download mode text per every region; I have no idea about this as I only own US variants). To see what I'm talking about, here's a quick screenshot (better resolution pic, and just in case imgur link dies, also attached to this post):
rVryX33.png

Now that I (hopefully) tricked you into reading this entire section so that you now have some basic understanding of how it works before proceeding to flashing the warning text removal mod, here are the instructions / link for install:
- Download the .tar file provided below.
- Boot device into Download mode.
- Place .tar file into bootloader [BL] slot in Odin and flash.
Download Link: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=10763459528675592179

To revert back to stock splash screen with warning text, for whatever reason:
Pull the stock up_param.bin.lz4 from the stock firmware file (from the BL****.md5 file within the firmware zip).
- Convert it to up_param.bin uzing lz4 utility.
- Add up_param.bin to an archive as .tar file, uncompressed (recommend using 7-zip).
- Flash the .tar file, which should contain only the stock decrypted up_param.bin file, in Download mode using Odin in the BL slot.

I uploaded my custom jpg's, as well as the stock untouched jpg's, for those that are curious or want to edit them further. Feel free to snag them here: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=320350

* As we can see, we're only modifying the .jpg files provided by up_param.bin, so it's a relatively harmless process (unlike modifying aboot files in the old days of HTC devices, which if done improperly could literally result in an unrecoverable brick). But even so, please only flash if you know what you're doing and can recover from any potential mistakes or errors.

Attachments

• BEFORE-AFTER.jpg
    BEFORE-AFTER.jpg
    176.2 KB · Views: 105
  • nowarningtext.jpg
    nowarningtext.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 90
  • warningtext.jpg
    warningtext.jpg
    192 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:

Protawn

Jan 6, 2021
Hi,

Thanks for these resources. I'm actually not at these steps yet. I'm having trouble gaining access to the OEM Bootloader Unlock option in developer options. Here are things I've tried already based on what I researched before my attempt.

Android 10 is the current OS installed after unboxing.

1. Disable Automatic Date and time

2. Select a date more than 7 days prior to current date of attempt.

3. Under Settings > About Phone > Software Information. Select/Tap Build Number 7-8 times to unlock Developer Option.

4. Disable Auto Update System (Apply Updates When Device Restarts) - *This was somehow already disabled the first time I entered Developer options*

5. Under Software Updates > Disable Automatic Updates -*This was also already disabled on unboxing and it says Automatically download updates over Wifi. It does not say Automatic Updates*
6. Reboot device and return to Developer Options after booting to OS.

7. The OEM Bootloader Unlock option should appear greyed out at this point. Toggle it to unlock bootloader with consideration that it will wipe the device data.

These are the steps I've found and tried with no success in gaining access to the Bootloader unlock option. I am also certain that my device is the international model SM-P610 with Exynos chipset and Mali-G72 GPU. Something else to note, I did uncheck many default options tied to improving privacy on the device before attempting the steps to gain access to the bootloader unlock option. I do not know if that would make a difference. If you recognize anything wrong with the steps I've tried already, please let me know where I'm going wrong or where I can find the correct way to unlock the bootloader. I've been posting in other threads, but nobody seems to be replying to me. Any help will be appreciated.

cht64bit

Apr 28, 2011
Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 Lite
Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    THIS IS YOUR FIRST WARNING (WILL BE REITERATED PLENTY OF TIMES!) IN BIG RED BOLD LETTERS - THESE FILES ARE FROM/FOR THE USA ("XAR") REGION, SM-P610 WIFI MODEL ONLY!
    (with the exception of the Odin utility, as well as possibly the modified boot splash screen, which may work on other variants, though untested and done solely at your own risk - read all the notes!!)​

I already went through the work, so I figured I would share these files for those who also own the same exact tablet. Again, it's for the USA/XAR region Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 Lite WiFi Model ONLY - "SM-P610" / "gta4xlwifi". LTE model is a different variant; do NOT flash the stock firmware files to that device! Also, sorry, I will not support or answer questions for other variants (other than what I will mention in this OP). Downloading firmwares for other variants will be a huge PITA, and I don't have / pay for any "premium" accounts which would allow me to quickly download the huge firmware files. I'm only sharing these I'm posting because I already took the time to acquire and archive them for personal usage, and might as well share them for those who own the same device / variant.

Use these files at your own risk, and only flash if you know what you're doing!! I'm not responsible for any problems user may incur from usage of these files, the usual warnings apply, etc. This device is just a backup / playaround device for me, and so it doesn't get daily usage out of me, nor will I likely be very active on this subforum (sorry! just being honest). Also, I immediately installed LOS on my device anyway, so I don't run stock ROM myself and therefore won't be sharing pre-patched Magisk boot images either. Sorry to those who are used to that from me =)

So anyway... what's in this post?
    • Odin3 v3.14.4 (version I've been using on this device, and working perfectly fine as of this initial posting)
    • Stock firmware zips for USA/"XAR" Region SM-P610, WiFi Only
    • Modified BL file (Odin-flashable), to remove the warning boot text

Odin3 v3.14.4:
    I posted this in another thread, but figured I would also link to it here so it's easy to find in one place. This worked perfectly fine for me to root / install TWRP / flash BL files, etc.
    Download Link: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=10763459528675582443

Stock Firmware Files:
    USA/XAR WIFI ONLY! October 2020 Update - Firmware Version P610XXU2BTJ5
    Download Link: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=10763459528675592742

USA/XAR WIFI ONLY! September 2020 Update - Firmware Version P610XXU2BTI3
    Download Link: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=10763459528675592159

Firmware files for other variants, see this post. Follow the links, use the resources, consider the context for other variants: https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=83083249&postcount=2

Modified [BL-slot] Odin-Flashable File To Remove Warning Splash Screen Text:
    My Thoughts On This...After unlocking the bootloader and flashing non-stock images, we all know we end up with that annoying, ugly splash screen screaming that the device is modified. Most of us modifying our devices understand the security implications involved, and ironically choose to modify our devices to increase security in other ways. Yet, these warning splash screens, in the unfortunate event of possible theft, may very well end up being the reason a more tech-savvy thief is able to break into the device, or find someone who can. So, thanks to users' posts Awesomeslayerg's hint and blascogm's guide, I quickly came up with an Odin-flashable file to change the splash screen, as seen below:
    (if the pic doesn't show, probably the imgur link I used is dead, but I also attached it to this post)
    CepQxGZ.jpg

I know some people may be thinking "why not just remove the PRESS POWER KEY TO CONTINUE line completely and have it stay at the normal boot screen seamlessly the whole time", and the reason I decided not to do this is because it generally wouldn't make the average person suspect the device is modified, and it's still good for us to know that it's at the boot stage where we can hit the power key to skip the ~10 second timeout. It's exactly the same image, so it's still very seamless and stock-like. I even took the time to center the power key text exactly, by the pixel, from left to right and from top bottom relative to the knox and android logos.. ; )

And if it really bothers you that much, follow the guide I linked above and do it yourself. =)

I should also mention that, for our devices, the .bin.lz4 file that needs to be decrypted is actually "up_param.bin.lz4" and not "param.bin.lz4" as suggested in the guide, as it's for a different device. You will need the lz4 utility (check Awesomeslayerg's thread, or google lz4 github) to decrypt the lz4 file to a regular bin file, and then you can extract and/or replace the .jpg files using an archiver program (I recommend 7-zip for this).

The hash checksums for every single file/jpg in each up_param.bin were identical between the September and October firmwares. Therefore, at least as of this posting, the same modified Odin-flashable file will work on either firmware version, and likely future versions until they make any significant changes. I did test this myself too btw. Also, if you look at the structure and contents of the up_param.bin file for yourself, you'll see that they are simply .jpg files containing the screens, backgrounds, and text you're all familiar with when going into bootloader / download mode. Assuming they follow the same file naming structure, I suspect you can probably flash this to other variants, although it will change the text language to English (assuming they localize the bootloader / download mode text per every region; I have no idea about this as I only own US variants). To see what I'm talking about, here's a quick screenshot (better resolution pic, and just in case imgur link dies, also attached to this post):
    rVryX33.png

Now that I (hopefully) tricked you into reading this entire section so that you now have some basic understanding of how it works before proceeding to flashing the warning text removal mod, here are the instructions / link for install:
    - Download the .tar file provided below.
    - Boot device into Download mode.
    - Place .tar file into bootloader [BL] slot in Odin and flash.
    Download Link: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=10763459528675592179

To revert back to stock splash screen with warning text, for whatever reason:
    Pull the stock up_param.bin.lz4 from the stock firmware file (from the BL****.md5 file within the firmware zip).
    - Convert it to up_param.bin uzing lz4 utility.
    - Add up_param.bin to an archive as .tar file, uncompressed (recommend using 7-zip).
    - Flash the .tar file, which should contain only the stock decrypted up_param.bin file, in Download mode using Odin in the BL slot.

I uploaded my custom jpg's, as well as the stock untouched jpg's, for those that are curious or want to edit them further. Feel free to snag them here: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=320350

* As we can see, we're only modifying the .jpg files provided by up_param.bin, so it's a relatively harmless process (unlike modifying aboot files in the old days of HTC devices, which if done improperly could literally result in an unrecoverable brick). But even so, please only flash if you know what you're doing and can recover from any potential mistakes or errors.