[Guide] - eSim Firmware Flash/ Odin Upgrade/ Flashing and N986U to N986U1 & Vice Versa

Search This thread

warriorvibhu

Inactive Recognized Developer
Aug 28, 2007
Somewhere Amazing
HTC One (m7)
LG V10
Instructions are updated to get eSIM
INTRODUCTION - Firstly sorry for posting this as this is common knowledge for many. I still see so many people asking the same questions again and again and i do want to help so decided to write a guide.
If you have Odin Flashing questions please ask here. I have converted a device from U to U1 (just for fun) so i know this works, many other users have confirmed this too.
SECTION1

Pre-Requisites - PC / Laptop, USB Cable, Phone
Switch on USB Debugging from Developer options. To turn on developer options go to Settings>>About Phone>>Software Information>> Then tap the build number 7 times - Developer options will appear at the bottom of Settings Menu.

HOW TO - N986U to N986U1 and or Flash ATID or Flash Any Odin compatible ROM
1. If you want to flash or update to One UI 3 Beta then Download the ATID Firmware here. (This point is old when people were on Android 10 not relevant now)

1. For changing Carrier locked device to Unlocked Firmware (N986U to N986U1) Download the firmware for U1 from OTA Thread or by using Frija
OR​
1. For changing unlocked device to Carrier locked Firmware (N986U1 to N986U) Download the firmware for U from OTA Thread or by using Frija - This is usually being done to get eSIM Capability on your phone

If you are Flashing One UI 3 Stable download the appropriate firmware. (This point is old when people were on Android 10 not relevant now)

There are many resources for downloading firmware, there is a thread in the N20 Ultra forums, there are tools like Frija and SamFW and more, then there are various websites. Where you are downloading from is your outlook just ensure you download Odin compatible ROM.

2. Download Patched Odin here
3. Unpack/Unzip what you downloaded in Step 2 (Odin Compatible ROM) and put in a folder. Lets call the folder "Flash"
4. Run Odin, click on BL, Browse to the "Flash" folder, add BL file from there, Do the same for AP (click on AP, Add AP file, this will take some time), Same for CP (click on CP, Add CP file)

NOTE ATTENTION CAREFUL To get eSIM Capability on your phone if you are on bootloader version 2 please see step 5a and Skip Step 5
5 . Click on CSC, Add the file with the name starting with Home_CSC). If you use Home_CSC your phone will not get formatted and data will remain Intact
USERDATA Stays empty.
5a. Do the same for CSC (click on CSC, Add the file with the name starting with CSC. This will format your phone and your phone will factory reset. You will lose your data and would need to setup your phone like it was new. USERDATA Stays empty.

6. Now connect USB cable to your laptop (Only laptop and not the phone)>> Turn off your phone >> Press volume up and volume down keep them pressed and plug in the USB type C into your phone.
7. You should be in download mode now, press volume up. In Odin you will see that phone is added.
8. Press start in Odin. Wait for it to finish and let the phone restart (it will happen On its own).
9. Done

SECTION 2
HOW TO - N986U or N986U1 Latest Security Patch or Firmware upgrade / downgrade
1. Download the firmware for Corresponding device - For example if you are on SM-N986U1 then download for U1. If you are N986U locked to TMB, VZW, SPR etc etc download the firmware for U device and your Own CSC from OTA Thread or by using Frija or SamFirm tool.
2. If downloaded using Frija or SamFirm Tool it will be in a compressed folder (ZIP). Extract the firmware files in a folder, lets call it "Flash"
Follow the rest of the steps from Step 4 Above.
SECTION 3
Going from one carrier locked device to another one like from ATT to TMob - Use the same instructions as in SECTION1 - just download the appropriate firmware.

FAQ
Can I get E-Sim with this ?
Yes, I have updated the instructions in this post.

If you are doing this to get E-Sim capability that t-mobile just added
here is a post from someone who converted their phone to T-Mobile version (Old Post can be ignored)

WARNING - If for some reason you use ODIN to Flash back to Android 10 after being on Android 11, YOU WILL LOSE YOUR DATA
This is not a guide for Downgrading by whole Android Iteration as in Going from Android X to Android (X-1) or Android (X-2) ____ Versions

Last edited:

TuxPenguin98

Nov 6, 2020
I am having trouble with flashing the firmware onto my device. I am trying to convert my SM-N986U to SM-986U1 but every time I try to flash it I get an error. I have everything downloaded and prepared for it but I keep getting errors.

warriorvibhu

Aug 28, 2007
Somewhere Amazing
HTC One (m7)
LG V10

GDHAMTON7

Jan 30, 2013
So I'm kinda nervous. I got a message that ATID didn't like the current build. Said error when booted. Only options were to try again, factory reset, or view logs. I have the sm-n986u1

warriorvibhu

Aug 28, 2007
Somewhere Amazing
HTC One (m7)
LG V10
So I'm kinda nervous. I got a message that ATID didn't like the current build. Said error when booted. Only options were to try again, factory reset, or view logs. I have the sm-n986u1
ATID didn't like the current build?? Never heard of that error. Do you have a screenshot. How did you flash? Did you use Odin? You can always try again.. And worst case force reboot your phone..

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

GDHAMTON7

Jan 30, 2013
ATID didn't like the current build?? Never heard of that error. Do you have a screenshot. How did you flash? Did you use Odin? You can always try again.. And worst case force reboot your phone..

Unfortunately I didn't get a screenshot but it said something like there was an error with files or something. Either way I had a back up. I was already on the regular atj5 build on android 10. It is all working now.

warriorvibhu

Aug 28, 2007
Somewhere Amazing
HTC One (m7)
LG V10
I have been trying to odin my att note 20 ultra to the t-mobile firmware, so far I've only been able to get it to boot like it is the unlocked version, and can't find the reason
I dont know anyone who has done such a thing but i guess there is a use case for everything. Have you tried flashing unlocked Variant first and then Odin to T-Mobile.

Reactions: c-prodigo

rjohnstone

that's exactly what I did, I switched from att to t-mobile, and first I wanted to see how the unlocked version would work, now I want to try the t-mobile firmware, but after downloading the one that says t-mobile and using odin, the phone stays on the unlocked firmware
Which T-Mobile firmware?
If you want carrier stuff you have to change your CSC to TMB and flash U version not U1 version.

warriorvibhu

Aug 28, 2007
Somewhere Amazing
HTC One (m7)
LG V10
Which T-Mobile firmware?
If you want carrier stuff you have to change your CSC to TMB and flash U version not U1 version.
Exactly
that's exactly what I did, I switched from att to t-mobile, and first I wanted to see how the unlocked version would work, now I want to try the t-mobile firmware, but after downloading the one that says t-mobile and using odin, the phone stays on the unlocked firmware
Hope you downloaded a U firmware and not U1, CSC can be T-mobile on U1 too so make sure you download U firmware and hope you are not confusing CSC with T-Mobile firmware

mariuszsnit

Mar 16, 2021
I am trying to switch from U1 to U VZW brand. I get this error

<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Check MD5.. Do not unplug the cable..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> Checking MD5 finished Sucessfully..
<OSM> Leave CS..
<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> Leave CS..
<ID:0/007> Added!!
<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> Leave CS..
<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> Leave CS..
<ID:0/007> Odin engine v(ID:3.1401)..
<ID:0/007> File analysis..
<ID:0/007> Total Binary size: 9881 M
<ID:0/007> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/007> Initialzation..
<ID:0/007> Set PIT file..
<ID:0/007> DO NOT TURN OFF TARGET!!
<ID:0/007> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/007> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/007> NAND Write Start!!
<ID:0/007> SingleDownload.
<ID:0/007> abl.elf
<ID:0/007> xbl.elf
<ID:0/007> FAIL! (Auth)
<ID:0/007>
<ID:0/007> Complete(Write) operation failed.
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)
<ID:0/007> Removed!!

znel52

Jun 3, 2010
Smart Watches
Google Pixel 6 Pro
I am trying to switch from U1 to U VZW brand. I get this error

<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> Leave CS..
<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> Leave CS..
<ID:0/007> Added!!
<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> Leave CS..
<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> Leave CS..
<ID:0/007> Odin engine v(ID:3.1401)..
<ID:0/007> File analysis..
<ID:0/007> Total Binary size: 9881 M
<ID:0/007> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/007> Initialzation..
<ID:0/007> Set PIT file..
<ID:0/007> DO NOT TURN OFF TARGET!!
<ID:0/007> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/007> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/007> NAND Write Start!!
<ID:0/007> SingleDownload.
<ID:0/007> abl.elf
<ID:0/007> xbl.elf
<ID:0/007> FAIL! (Auth)
<ID:0/007>
<ID:0/007> Complete(Write) operation failed.
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)
<ID:0/007> Removed!!
Are you trying to go from the unlocked 3.1 DUC1 build to VZW firmware? They updated the bootloader from BL1 to BL2 on DUC1 so we are not able to roll back to anything older. The VZW firmware is still on BL1.

If that is the case will have to wait for VZW to release new firmware with BL2 before you can switch. My guess would be it will be included in next months security patch update.

Reactions: rjohnstone

dj24

Jun 23, 2018
Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra
Great guide to people like me that are thinking about dipping their toes in for the first time when it comes to flashing. I do have a question or two though:

What are the advantages of flashing from a U device to the unlocked U1 version? For instance I have the T-mobile U version and I have for the most part uninstalled all the carrier bloatware that came with it and put the ones that I couldn't into deep sleep so my battery life for the most part is unaffected. I also got it unlocked when I first got it since I paid outright for it. I notice most people also like getting updates faster and flashing enables them to do so but I honestly don't mind waiting for the slower OTA ones.

I guess I'm looking for a reason to do this (bored too) and use it as a learning process as well to gain the experience since I've never flashed before. Are there any settings or features in the U1 devices that I can't get from the play store that I can get by flashing? The only feature I truly miss is call recording but I don't think anyone has been able to figure that out yet..

znel52

Jun 3, 2010
Smart Watches
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Great guide to people like me that are thinking about dipping their toes in for the first time when it comes to flashing. I do have a question or two though:

What are the advantages of flashing from a U device to the unlocked U1 version? For instance I have the T-mobile U version and I have for the most part uninstalled all the carrier bloatware that came with it and put the ones that I couldn't into deep sleep so my battery life for the most part is unaffected. I also got it unlocked when I first got it since I paid outright for it. I notice most people also like getting updates faster and flashing enables them to do so but I honestly don't mind waiting for the slower OTA ones.

I guess I'm looking for a reason to do this (bored too) and use it as a learning process as well to gain the experience since I've never flashed before. Are there any settings or features in the U1 devices that I can't get from the play store that I can get by flashing? The only feature I truly miss is call recording but I don't think anyone has been able to figure that out yet..
It mostly comes down to bloat and unlocked devices being eligible for beta programs. They used to do beta programs for some carriers but it seems to be happening less.

For the most part there isn't much difference. I've been toying with the idea of switching my unlocked to Verizon firmware to get RCS which Verizon recently activated for several Samsung devices. Was hoping it would come for the unlocked phones but doesn't look like it will. Haven't heard anything about the google/samsung RCS partnership in months.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Instructions are updated to get eSIM
    INTRODUCTION - Firstly sorry for posting this as this is common knowledge for many. I still see so many people asking the same questions again and again and i do want to help so decided to write a guide.
    If you have Odin Flashing questions please ask here. I have converted a device from U to U1 (just for fun) so i know this works, many other users have confirmed this too.
    SECTION1

Pre-Requisites - PC / Laptop, USB Cable, Phone
    Switch on USB Debugging from Developer options. To turn on developer options go to Settings>>About Phone>>Software Information>> Then tap the build number 7 times - Developer options will appear at the bottom of Settings Menu.

HOW TO - N986U to N986U1 and or Flash ATID or Flash Any Odin compatible ROM
    1. If you want to flash or update to One UI 3 Beta then Download the ATID Firmware here. (This point is old when people were on Android 10 not relevant now)

1. For changing Carrier locked device to Unlocked Firmware (N986U to N986U1) Download the firmware for U1 from OTA Thread or by using Frija
    OR​
    1. For changing unlocked device to Carrier locked Firmware (N986U1 to N986U) Download the firmware for U from OTA Thread or by using Frija - This is usually being done to get eSIM Capability on your phone

If you are Flashing One UI 3 Stable download the appropriate firmware. (This point is old when people were on Android 10 not relevant now)

There are many resources for downloading firmware, there is a thread in the N20 Ultra forums, there are tools like Frija and SamFW and more, then there are various websites. Where you are downloading from is your outlook just ensure you download Odin compatible ROM.

2. Download Patched Odin here
    3. Unpack/Unzip what you downloaded in Step 2 (Odin Compatible ROM) and put in a folder. Lets call the folder "Flash"
    4. Run Odin, click on BL, Browse to the "Flash" folder, add BL file from there, Do the same for AP (click on AP, Add AP file, this will take some time), Same for CP (click on CP, Add CP file)

NOTE ATTENTION CAREFUL To get eSIM Capability on your phone if you are on bootloader version 2 please see step 5a and Skip Step 5
    5 . Click on CSC, Add the file with the name starting with Home_CSC). If you use Home_CSC your phone will not get formatted and data will remain Intact
    USERDATA Stays empty.
    5a. Do the same for CSC (click on CSC, Add the file with the name starting with CSC. This will format your phone and your phone will factory reset. You will lose your data and would need to setup your phone like it was new. USERDATA Stays empty.

6. Now connect USB cable to your laptop (Only laptop and not the phone)>> Turn off your phone >> Press volume up and volume down keep them pressed and plug in the USB type C into your phone.
    7. You should be in download mode now, press volume up. In Odin you will see that phone is added.
    8. Press start in Odin. Wait for it to finish and let the phone restart (it will happen On its own).
    9. Done

SECTION 2
    HOW TO - N986U or N986U1 Latest Security Patch or Firmware upgrade / downgrade
    1. Download the firmware for Corresponding device - For example if you are on SM-N986U1 then download for U1. If you are N986U locked to TMB, VZW, SPR etc etc download the firmware for U device and your Own CSC from OTA Thread or by using Frija or SamFirm tool.
    2. If downloaded using Frija or SamFirm Tool it will be in a compressed folder (ZIP). Extract the firmware files in a folder, lets call it "Flash"
    Follow the rest of the steps from Step 4 Above.
    SECTION 3
    Going from one carrier locked device to another one like from ATT to TMob - Use the same instructions as in SECTION1 - just download the appropriate firmware.

FAQ
    Can I get E-Sim with this ?
    Yes, I have updated the instructions in this post.

If you are doing this to get E-Sim capability that t-mobile just added
    here is a post from someone who converted their phone to T-Mobile version (Old Post can be ignored)

WARNING - If for some reason you use ODIN to Flash back to Android 10 after being on Android 11, YOU WILL LOSE YOUR DATA
    This is not a guide for Downgrading by whole Android Iteration as in Going from Android X to Android (X-1) or Android (X-2) ____ Versions
    flashed tmob DUH4 yesterday from U1 (DUH3), no issues.. see my post
    Thank you for writing that post, you reminded me that many people are now doing this to get eSIM, when I wrote this post the need was to get OneUI 3 Beta (Android 11). I have updated the first post for eSIM.
    yp, same here. on TMB it has IED greyed out, sim manager missing and cannot connect to mobile data. Have to stop trying now after dozen of flash and wait for new workaround to be discovered.
    Was able convert U1 to TMob version yesterday and activated Tmobile esim with no issues. Firmware used was the one linked in the first post.

Another reason to switch to U1 firmware is the ability to get access to features that are disabled on carrier versions.
    I went to U1 firmware so I could enable "Call and text on other devices" and get rid off the carrier bloat.
    This is disabled on AT&T and Verizon versions... not sure about T-Mobile/Sprint devices.
    I've been using the u1 version on my u from att after like a month and it's been working great. I also got the april security patch on the 1st so it's definitely being great.