[GUIDE] Official [unroot] guide here

Search This thread

ianandamy

Apr 26, 2006
cedar hill MO
I have seen a lot of unfinished info on UNROOTING so rather than see a bunch of people stuck like I was last night I thought I would toss a little guide together for everyone.

I take no credit for any guides I post just pitching in, if I help you CLICK me a THANKS!

download the asus firmware from here: http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/EeePAD/TF101/UpdateLauncher_US_epad_user_8239.zip

extract the blob from the zip file and put it in your adb folder located at something like:
AndroidSDK/platform-tools/

as you did to root the device.

open cmd promt window type the following and return after each.

\cd

\cd AndroidSDK\platform-tools\

adb devices

*adb your device make sure it is hooked up and id'ing your transformer.*

adb push blob /data/local

adb shell

*at the # type the following*

dd if=/data/local/blob of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p4

*wait a few mins to be safe*

now reboot the device, on reboot you should see a progress bar indicating the flashing of the “blob” file. this will remove the clockwork recovery and put your tablet into BOOTLOOP this is ok.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now that your tablet is stuck in a boot loop, put on the root of the micro sd card on your computer-> the update normally found in the asus/update/ folder from the firmware zip you download from asus. I used the .9 US update and it worked fine, you must then rename it to EP101_SDUPDATE.zip make sure you leave it a zip dont change the extension AND->make sure it is on the root of the card.

Now put your card in your transformer, hold the down volume and power till it prompts you in the upper left about wiping or booting to recovery**> let go and push up on the volume, which will load the factory recovery android with a box and a loading bar *** IF IT IS STILL CLOCKWORK RECOVERY THEN YOU MISSED SOMETHING START OVER DO NOT CONTINUE***> it will begin to flash the update do not bother it turn it off or anything else will take up to 10 mins to complete. it will restart and you will see the bar load again on boot up then it will boot to the asus logo and then to the homescreen and your good.

-Ian

Last edited:

isdnmatt

Jan 30, 2007
I don't have .12 for you, but here is a link to .9 (That's the one that really matters anyway right?). I would appreciate a link to .12 just for my OCD.

V8.2.3.9(US)

http://db.tt/EEElFqP

If you could please rehost it somewhere.

Ender666666

Mar 20, 2007
Thanks for this. I have been holding off trying to root my Tablet until I had some clear indication that there would be a "way back".

I will PM you a link to V8.2.3.9 US Firmware as soon as it's done uploading to MegaUpload (Aborted as someone beat me to it)

Last edited:

gordec

Aug 21, 2007
San Francisco, CA
I haven't found a need to root my TF yet as all I need for it is running pretty smoothly.

My phone on the other hand gets flashed with a new ROM every few days.

Great to know that I can go back if I do root one day. Thx

trblsome9six

May 23, 2011
Seattle
I get to this point...

...let go and push up on the volume, which will load the factory recovery android with a box and a loading bar...

See the box with a loading bar for about three seconds then the screen switches to the image of the android robot logo and an exclamation point within a triangle. I think its because I accidentally wiped my data last night when I was trying to fix the boot loop issue. I'm about to give up on this one...

Edit: Hey it works great, just make sure you don't add a .zip extension to the E101_SDUPDATE rename.

Last edited:

trblsome9six

May 23, 2011
Seattle
Big Thanks to ianandamy this works great! Got it up and running. The only problem is that I am being prompted to enter a password in order to get it to the homescreen...The second problem is that I never had a security password in order to access the tablet. I have a feeling this has to do with it being rooted by the previous owner before I purchased the tablet. Would the settings return to how he customized it pre-root? If so the password the tablet is asking for would be the one he set before I ever owned the tablet. How do I get around this?!

S

sirmx

This cool and all.. but what would really be nice is to have the stock recovery yanked out of that 500MB blob so we don't have to transfer 500MB around, instead maybe 8-10MB (guessing based on CWM blob).

I'd do it, but I'm lame and don't have a linux box or VM setup :).. that and I sold my eeePad to pay for vet bills... something about 'daddy save the puppy' is haunting me now. :cool:

P.S. Thanks for the info, just trying to save time if this is possible :)

Last edited:

Segnaro

Aug 5, 2010
This cool and all.. but what would really be nice is to have the stock recovery yanked out of that 500MB blob so we don't have to transfer 500MB around, instead maybe 8-10MB (guessing based on CWM blob).

There you go. I extracted the recovery.img from the stock 8.2.3.9 US blob and put it into a clockwork flashable package. Tested it on Prime 1.3r2

After flashing this you should be able to use ASUS firmware packages again, but ymmv.

Attachments

• 8239USrecovery.zip
    4.6 MB · Views: 13,256
Last edited:

StirCwazy

Jul 14, 2008
There you go. I extracted the recovery.img from the stock 8.2.3.9 US blob and put it into a clockwork flashable package. Tested it on Prime 1.3r2

After flashing this you should be able to use ASUS firmware packages again, but ymmv.

Mind explaining what exactly this is going to allow me to do? I flash it, then do what with the original firmware? And in doing this would it be a more complete restore back to stock removing everything related to root/cwm/custom boot and so on?

Either or, appreciate the work, you guys are awesome!

Segnaro

Aug 5, 2010
Mind explaining what exactly this is going to allow me to do? I flash it, then do what with the original firmware? And in doing this would it be a more complete restore back to stock removing everything related to root/cwm/custom boot and so on?

After flashing it, you take the ASUS folder from the original firmware and put it on your SD card. The Transformer will ask you if you want to install that firmware.

Now that clockwork recovery has been replaced by stock recovery, it should be able to install normally.

I went from Prime 1.3r2 back to unrooted stock 8.2.3.9, no problem.

Last edited:

ewingr

Dec 1, 2007
After flashing it, you take the ASUS folder from the original firmware and put it on your SD card. The Transformer will ask you if you want to install that firmware.

Now that clockwork recovery has been replaced by stock recovery, it should be able to install normally.

Sorry to be a bit pesky here, but just want to be real sure: Based on ROM work I've done on my Android phone, unrooting is not the same as going back to a stock ROM. Actually the reverse is true: you can apply a stock ROM< and it will effectively unroot the phone.

So, if we have put PRIME on (or other ROMS...I think there is another...), then do this process, the phone will be stock, and in shape to send in for warranty if necessary?

b1ackplague

Dec 31, 2007
Will this un-root process work for the HC 3.1 leak? And if not what modifications would need to be done to unroot from HC 3.1? Am I able to wipe data/cache/dalvik from CWM then install HC 3.0.1 (Prime) so I can then follow this unroot process?

Edit: I found my answer in another thread. I'll post the link because I think it might be helpful to others with the same question.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1103147

Last edited:

spuniun

Oct 7, 2006
Will this un-root process work for the HC 3.1 leak? And if not what modifications would need to be done to unroot from HC 3.1? Am I able to wipe data/cache/dalvik from CWM then install HC 3.0.1 (Prime) so I can then follow this unroot process?

Edit: I found my answer in another thread. I'll post the link because I think it might be helpful to others with the same question.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1103147

Yes, I went from 3.1 direct to .9 without any issue.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have seen a lot of unfinished info on UNROOTING so rather than see a bunch of people stuck like I was last night I thought I would toss a little guide together for everyone.

I take no credit for any guides I post just pitching in, if I help you CLICK me a THANKS!

download the asus firmware from here: http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/EeePAD/TF101/UpdateLauncher_US_epad_user_8239.zip

extract the blob from the zip file and put it in your adb folder located at something like:
    AndroidSDK/platform-tools/

as you did to root the device.

open cmd promt window type the following and return after each.

\cd

\cd AndroidSDK\platform-tools\

adb devices

*adb your device make sure it is hooked up and id'ing your transformer.*

adb push blob /data/local

adb shell

*at the # type the following*

dd if=/data/local/blob of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p4

*wait a few mins to be safe*

now reboot the device, on reboot you should see a progress bar indicating the flashing of the “blob” file. this will remove the clockwork recovery and put your tablet into BOOTLOOP this is ok.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now that your tablet is stuck in a boot loop, put on the root of the micro sd card on your computer-> the update normally found in the asus/update/ folder from the firmware zip you download from asus. I used the .9 US update and it worked fine, you must then rename it to EP101_SDUPDATE.zip make sure you leave it a zip dont change the extension AND->make sure it is on the root of the card.

Now put your card in your transformer, hold the down volume and power till it prompts you in the upper left about wiping or booting to recovery**> let go and push up on the volume, which will load the factory recovery android with a box and a loading bar *** IF IT IS STILL CLOCKWORK RECOVERY THEN YOU MISSED SOMETHING START OVER DO NOT CONTINUE***> it will begin to flash the update do not bother it turn it off or anything else will take up to 10 mins to complete. it will restart and you will see the bar load again on boot up then it will boot to the asus logo and then to the homescreen and your good.

-Ian
    Thank you for the guide.

What I did:

1. Download latest firmware from asus (TF101)
    2. Unzip using ES File Explorer (you will have another zip)
    3. Unzip blob from extracted zip to /sdcard
    4. Download Terminal Emulator
    5. Open Terminal Emulator and switch to root
    6. Ran the dd-command:
    dd if=/sdcard/blob of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p4
    7. Ran the sync-command (not required as it only syncs filesystems and no block devices, but it feels good to do)
    8. Wait two minutes (should not be needed either)
    9. Shutdown the device
    10. Boot the device. you will see a progress bar.

Depending on the ROM you previously used, the transformer might be able to boot. If it does not boot, don't worry:
    - Hold down the minus-volume button (down) when booting
    - Wait till the message about cold-boot appears
    - Re-press Down to switch the icon from Android to 'WIPE DATA'-icon.
    - Press Up and Press Up again to confirm.

Even if your transformer did boot fine, without wiping, I do recommend a factory reset (via method above or via settings).

Be aware that this will erase all your data, also on the internal sdcard. External SD-card will not be touched.

For me it worked fine, now I have a unrooted device with original recovery (no CWM), Serial number starts with: BCO (yes a C ..)

Small Note about my config:
    TF101-model (WIFI-only)
    Original device 8.6.5.19 updated to 8.6.5.21 via OTA
    Updated device to 8.6.6.19 update of TF101G to get root
    Rooted my device via RazorClaw
    Installed CWM via Recovery Installer
    Installed various roms (Revolution HD with Super Wipe to EXT4, Revolver)
    Now back to stock (8.6.5.21 via guide above, downloaded from asus)
    ----
    [Recovery]
    For some reason, after flashing Spark (ICS from paulburton), my previously created nandroid backup did not work after restore. So, as I was not able to execute the above procecure, I did it via adb.

First:
    Extract the blob file from the zip file inside the zip file you download from the asus website (at the time of writing ~250 MB zipped):
    - Place the blob file in the same directory as 'adb'
    - Mount the /sdcard via CWM (volume keys + power button)
    - Use the following command to put the blob file on the sdcard:
    adb push blob /sdcard/blob
    It will give you the speed and bytes transferred when it's finished, something like this:
    1164 KB/s (546204969 bytes in 458.012s)
    then you can start a shell to your device:

This will give you a prompt. Now you can enter the dd-command above:

When finished, you will see something similar to:
    ~ # dd if=/sdcard/blob of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p4
    1066806+1 records in
    1066806+1 records out
    546204969 bytes (520.9MB) copied, 172.216037 seconds, 3.0MB/s
    If you want you can run the sync command, but again, it should not be needed but it does not hurt:
    When this is done, you can exit the shell and reboot the transformer using the reboot option of CMW.

Now you should be back in business, atleast I was.

I don't have .12 for you, but here is a link to .9 (That's the one that really matters anyway right?). I would appreciate a link to .12 just for my OCD.

V8.2.3.9(US)

http://db.tt/EEElFqP

If you could please rehost it somewhere.

Can someone host it and pm me a link to post