[Guide] Oneplus 7T T-Mobile to International Firmware Conversion Explained

Search This thread

Chxc

Nov 7, 2015
Thank you but I flashed back the phone with T-mobile rom.
I will tray again in few months when T-mobile will stop maintaining the OS.

I don't understand when you write 'chosse recovery with ....' because on first page of this topic (step 7) there is no choice.
Thank you for your advices

I believe the writer meant when your device kept on boot into the OS, you interrupt the process by following the writer's steps instead to get your device into fastboot mode again to continue receive the remaining of the partition images.

Sep 22, 2019
I believe the writer meant when your device kept on boot into the OS, you interrupt the process by following the writer's steps instead to get your device into fastboot mode again to continue receive the remaining of the partition images.
I did a quick scan of the thread, but I couldn't find the solution. I do everything in the tutorial exactly, using the included ADB etc. Yet I still get stuck when it reboots into the stock recovery. It just says waiting for device and nothing happens. What could I be doing wrong or does it just take a bit?

Chxc

Nov 7, 2015
If your 7T reboot properly into the stock recovery screen by itself during the last flash, then I'm suspecting it could be a driver, cable, port, fastboot binary, or a random combination of those issues. Keep going with the process of elimination and good luck.

However, if your 7T doesn't reboot into the stock recovery screen with the fastboot reboot bootloader command, which is the first reboot of the flash batch file, then you could keep your focus on your power shell and fastboot binary first.

Sep 22, 2019
If your 7T reboot properly into the stock recovery screen by itself during the last flash, then I'm suspecting it could be a driver, cable, port, fastboot binary, or a random combination of those issues. Keep going with the process of elimination and good luck.

However, if your 7T doesn't reboot into the stock recovery screen with the fastboot reboot bootloader command, which is the first reboot of the flash batch file, then you could keep your focus on your power shell and fastboot binary first.
I've tried both my laptop and desktop. One being AMD and the other being intel based. Farthest I get it the stock recovery and PowerShell waiting for device. I've tried every possible USB C cable I have, I sadly don't have the stock OEM cable. What drivers would you recommend using and could I be doing something wrong? Thank you for the help.

Sep 22, 2019

I looked at Device Manager while in the recovery upon the first reboot and it has a driverless device with the T-Mobile 7T model number.

UPDATE: Holy **** it finally happened. Turns out the thing stopping me was a random LeMobile driver in optional updates in Windows 10. Thank you all so much in this thread. I was about to tear my hair out. If you're still having issues check in Windows option update for ADB Drivers.

Last edited:

Colorblind

Oct 30, 2010
Turns out the thing stopping me was a random LeMobile driver in optional updates in Windows 10. Thank you all so much in this thread. I was about to tear my hair out. If you're still having issues check in Windows option update for ADB Drivers.

I had a similar problem. It seems after THIS command:
.\fastboot reboot fastboot
if it hangs it's because of a bad/missing driver. it SHOULD automatically start after that, but for whatever reason the USB device itself was not showing up AT ALL. After some fenagling with MSMtool it eventually popped up on windows and I saw it install the driver. If you have to manually re-enter fastboot you WILL see "'Flashing is not allowed for Critical Partitions"

avaholic

Oct 17, 2006
Arlington
OnePlus One
OnePlus 5
Hello,

Just received my T-mobile 7t and read on a different T-mobile conversion thread that if you flash a Global rom to the device, you lose the Widevine Level 1 cert.

Is there a method to convert a T-Mobile branded device to a Global version without losing the ability to use Widevine Level 1 services? I'd love to have a clean rom without all of the T-mobile bloatware and especially that stupid pinkish purple boot animation but I don't want to lose the ability to play Netflix or similar services in full HD.

Thanks!
Avaholic

yingyucheng

Apr 11, 2021
C:\Users\Richard Ying\Downloads\oneplus 7T\10.0.13-GLOBAL-OnePlus7TOxygen_14.O.19_OTA_019_all_2009281709_1026-FASTBOOT>flash-all
Do you want to wipe all the data ( Reccomended )[Y/N]?y
< waiting for any device >
Erasing 'userdata' OKAY [ 0.154s]
CreateProcess failed: %1 is not a valid Win32 application. (193)
fastboot: error: Cannot generate image for userdata
Sending 'boot_a' (98304 KB) OKAY [ 2.422s]
Writing 'boot_a' OKAY [ 0.376s]
Finished. Total time: 2.848s
Sending 'dtbo' (16384 KB) OKAY [ 0.406s]
Writing 'dtbo' OKAY [ 0.071s]
Finished. Total time: 0.520s
Sending 'modem_a' (165396 KB) OKAY [ 4.089s]
Writing 'modem_a' OKAY [ 0.726s]
Finished. Total time: 4.910s
Sending 'reserve' (250164 KB) OKAY [ 6.128s]
Writing 'reserve' FAILED (remote: '(reserve_a) No such partition')
fastboot: error: Command failed
Sending 'recovery' (98304 KB) OKAY [ 2.409s]
Writing 'recovery' OKAY [ 0.327s]
Finished. Total time: 2.776s
Rewriting vbmeta struct at offset: 0
Sending 'vbmeta' (8 KB) OKAY [ 0.011s]
Writing 'vbmeta' OKAY [ 0.002s]
Finished. Total time: 0.064s
Sending 'vbmeta_system' (4 KB) OKAY [ 0.008s]
Writing 'vbmeta_system' OKAY [ 0.003s]
Finished. Total time: 0.043s
Rebooting into fastboot OKAY [ 0.003s]
< waiting for any device >

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The benefits of firmware conversion:
    1. Completely remove T-Mobile app and any underlying software (there aren't a lot, but why not competently gone)
    2. Use dual sim supported by the hardware. You'll need to get a new dual sim tray. Just remember to unlock network lock so you can use other carriers, which is a different but simpler process.
    3. Get on the faster firmware release schedule of stock firmware because it doesn't need to be certified by T-Mobile, which are always generations behinds.
    Preparation:
    1. Notes are important, please pay attention
    2. ONLY use stock USB-A to USB-C cable
      • I have tried the stock cable from Axon 7, fail fail and more fail, don't make this mistake
    3. DON'T store flash files on USB storage.
      • fastboot will timeout if your flash files are stored at a slow storage device such as a USB drive, or slow computer with eMMC drive
    4. Download and extract the patched MSM download tool and related flash files (credit)
    5. Download and extract TWRP 3.4.0-2 Test by mauronofrio (credit)
    6. Download and extract 10.0.13-GLOBAL-OnePlus7TOxygen_14.O.19_OTA_019_all_2009281709_1026-FASTBOOT.zip (credit)
    7. Optional: Unlock bootloader at this official OnePlus page with those steps
      • automated process you have to wait 1 whole week for
      • if you take this route, you will have an easier time get into EDL
    8. Optional for Driver and boot into EDL: Download and extract the TOOL ALL IN ONE (credit) (untested) (can skip this step if you have driver and completed preparation step 7)
    Flash Operations:
    1. Run the MSM executable with Administrator Privilege
    2. Boot into bootloader on 7T (if you already have adb connection, adb reboot bootloader would work as well)
      1. Restart device: Vol Up + Power
      2. Boot into recovery: when system reboot from step 4, immediately press and hold Vol Down + Power until recovery screen
      3. Boot into fastboot: English -> Advanced -> fastboot
    3. Boot into EDL on 7T
      • If you have OnePlus unlock token from Preparation step 7
        1. Connect USB cable to both PC and 7T
        2. on MSMDownloadTool, click Enum to display your device
        3. fastboot flash cust-unlock unlock_token.bin
        4. fastboot oem unlock
        5. fastboot boot twrp.img
        6. when TWRP boot: adb reboot edl
        7. on MSMDownloadTool it will now show connected
      • If you don't want to wait for token (untested)
        • Use TOOL ALL IN ONE
        • Or, hold down the buttons then click start in MSM. If you release the volume buttons early it will kick you out of EDL--well at least for me. you can release the buttons once MSM starts (credit)
    4. When MsmDownloadTool display connected, hit Start until 7T display CORRUPT message (normal behavior) and reboot into fastboot by ITSELF. If your 7T doesn't get into fastboot screen automatically, something is wrong with previous step, redo EDL flashing and do NOT proceed.
    5. Start Power-Shell with Administrator Privilege and go to the extracted path of 10.0.13-global-oneplus7toxygen_14.o.19_ota_019_all_2009281709_1026-fastboot.zip (DO NOT USE DOS, it will fail you miserably)
    6. Unlock bootloader: .\fastboot flashing unlock_critical (suggested, because it works, so I didn't test the oem unlock method)
    7. To avoid potential conflict with installed fastboot binary (possibly lower version), you can either
      • edit the flash-all.bat, and change fastboot to .\fastboot, such that only the local fastboot binary will be invoked instead of pathed binary
      • OR run those identical commands with copy and paste
        Code:
        .\fastboot -w
        .\fastboot flash boot boot.img
        .\fastboot flash dtbo dtbo.img
        .\fastboot flash modem modem.img
        .\fastboot flash reserve reserve.img
        .\fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
        .\fastboot --disable-verity flash vbmeta vbmeta.img
        .\fastboot --disable-verity flash vbmeta_system vbmeta_system.img
        .\fastboot reboot fastboot
        .\fastboot flash abl abl.img
        .\fastboot flash aop aop.img
        .\fastboot flash bluetooth bluetooth.img
        .\fastboot flash cmnlib cmnlib.img
        .\fastboot flash cmnlib64 cmnlib64.img
        .\fastboot flash devcfg devcfg.img
        .\fastboot flash dsp dsp.img
        .\fastboot flash hyp hyp.img
        .\fastboot flash imagefv imagefv.img
        .\fastboot flash keymaster keymaster.img
        .\fastboot flash LOGO LOGO.img
        .\fastboot flash multiimgoem multiimgoem.img
        .\fastboot flash odm odm.img
        .\fastboot flash oem_stanvbk oem_stanvbk.img
        .\fastboot flash opproduct opproduct.img
        .\fastboot flash qupfw qupfw.img
        .\fastboot flash storsec storsec.img
        .\fastboot flash tz tz.img
        .\fastboot flash uefisecapp uefisecapp.img
        .\fastboot flash xbl xbl.img
        .\fastboot flash xbl_config xbl_config.img
        .\fastboot flash system system.img
        .\fastboot flash vendor vendor.img
        .\fastboot flash product product.img
        .\fastboot reboot
      • Few notes
        • User data is wiped, again, lol
        • reserve partition flashing can produce error msg: FAILED (remote: '(reserve_a) No such partition'), it is OK but others should not Fail
        • Device will reboot once during the flashing process
        • After reboot, device will NOT go into fastboot screen but instead go into stock recovery screen, however fastboot will pick up and resume flashing the rest, ONLY IF YOU ARE UNDER POWER-SHELL, so DO NOT flash under DOS
        • if anything else fails besides the reserve partition, repeat step 7
    8. Device will boot into system, you may use the OS updater to upgrade to the lastest firmware then relock bootloader or proceed with root with Magisk

Hope this will save you some precious time. Major kudos for previous contributions from post 1 and post 2.

All steps are recorded from memory, please let me know if any mistakes are in need of correction.

Tested working on Dec 5, 2020
    hi, i went to the link where you can request for the token for unlocking the bootloader and it is asking me for the unlock code and i do not know what that is, i think that it is asking for the sim unlock code but i bought this phone in ebay and it came already unlocked so i do not know what to do, so if someone could help me out with this i will appreciate that.
    Follow the Oneplus instructions, there isn't anything better that explains the process.

Please understand the difference between carrier sim unlock and device bootloader unlock before proceeding.

The Oneplus link is used for official unlock of bootloader, not carrier sim unlock. Carrier sim unlock happens inside the OS.
    So I did this process yesterday and since this thread was quite valuable to me I feel like sharing some insights.

First of all it is really important to fix "the drivers". If you connect your phone in adb, fastboot or EDL mode you have to figure this out first. Wrong drivers usually can be spotted in Device Manger with a Yellow exclemation mark. Yes - ADB/fastboot and EDL are different drivers.

If you have problems connecting in ADB/fastboot mode download drivers here https://developer.android.com/studio/run/win-usb and install them like this https://developer.android.com/studio/run/oem-usb#InstallingDriver

If you have problems with EDL follow this link: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...l-to-restore-your-device-to-oxygenos.4004005/ read "My device isn't detected when I click on "Enum" button"

I usually do not just "install drivers from exe". I go to the device manager, look for uninstalled devices and right-click update drivers so this specific device gets this specific driver. This may be an overkill in 2020/Windows 10 but why change a running system..

You can test those drivers quite easy.
    1. First download & unzip the android plattform tools (https://developer.android.com/studio/releases/platform-tools).
    2. Enable USB Debugging in Dev-Options on Android
    3. Point CLI to your folder where you unzipped said toolset
    4. Type adb devices in CLI - if it shows a device your ADB drivers work.
    5. Then reboot your device to "fastboot" you can do this with button mashing or since ADB works just type adb reboot bootloader
    6. Wait for reboot, then type fastboot devices if it shows a device your fastboot drivers work.
    7. Boot back to Android again (click power when it sais "start")
    8. Go back to step 3 and type adb reboot edl (again you could boot into EDL with som button mashing but why do it the hard way)
    9. To test EDL you have to use the MSM Toolset (patched or not doesn't matter) - if it says connected this means your EDL drivers work too

It is crucial to test this bevore thinking about flashing for obvious reasons. And you learned to boot into all the modes via CLI which is nice.

With this out of the way I would like to add some thoughts to the inital post:

1. When flashing the device (Step 7 in initial post) my device booted into T-Mobile start screen for some reason instead of booting into fastboot and continuing pushing images. This was not the case if I booted into Recovery Mode (fastboot -> choose recovery mode with volume keys -> enter PIN -> choose English -> something something fastboot) and Chose "Fastboot" manually. After this the flashing worked flawlessly
    2. I "patched" the tooling (fastboot.exe, adb.exe) from the link in inital post with the latest files from google sdk, this did not work. Use the tools inside "10.0.13-GLOBAL-OnePlus7TOxygen_14.O.19_OTA_019_all_2009281709_1026-FASTBOOT"
    3. For easy of use I created my own flash_all.bat with the local reference to fastboot.exe (see attached) as explained in intial post. This goes inside "10.0.13-GLOBAL-OnePlus7TOxygen_14.O.19_OTA_019_all_2009281709_1026-FASTBOOT"
    4. Since I was impatient I used the method with the patched MSM Tool to unlock the bootloader - I can confirm this works. After relocking the bootloader picky apps like Netflix work too.
    5. I did skip step 3.5 "fastboot boot twrp.img" since I didn't understand what it does - it works without this

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the guide chxc
    1. When flashing the device (Step 7 in initial post) my device booted into T-Mobile start screen for some reason instead of booting into fastboot and continuing pushing images. This was not the case if I booted into Recovery Mode (fastboot -> choose recovery mode with volume keys -> enter PIN -> choose English -> something something fastboot) and Chose "Fastboot" manually. After this the flashing worked flawlessly

When did you do this? Immediately after running the MSM patched toolset?

Actually nevermind, I understood what you meant. During the flash you didn't let the mobile show the T-Mobile screen and went into recovery directly.
    The flashing continued for me, but gave several errors at the end:

ending sparse 'system_a' 1/5 (523136 KB) FAILED (Write to device failed (Invalid argument))
    Invalid sparse file format at header magic
    Sending sparse 'vendor' 1/2 (785569 KB) OKAY [ 18.609s]
    Writing 'vendor' FAILED (remote: 'Partition not found')
    Invalid sparse file format at header magic
    Sending sparse 'product' 1/2 (785436 KB) OKAY [ 19.774s]
    Writing 'product' FAILED (remote: 'Partition not found')
    Rebooting OKAY [ 0.000s]

It occasionally gives remote: 'Flashing is not allowed for Critical Partitions' if I retry.

EDIT: changed USB port and it worked. Gotta find a way to lock the bootlocker now.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone