[GUIDE] [Osprey] Advanced Interactive Governor Tweaks

Search This thread

mihaum

Jun 6, 2012
Great to see that your settings are sticking. No, the stock kernel does indeed not have the touchboost feature.
Well, it seems that I didn't wait long enough with conclusions. Target_load won't stick either. Not sure how long it took before reverting back to default value.

TVD1903

Jan 9, 2016
Eindhoven
OK, I have a partial answer for the timer_rate setting. It will only take 10000 value increments. It will accept 30000 fine. Sooo, I'm wondering what would be best, 30000 or 40000.
I've also discovered that go_hispeed_load will only take multiples of 10. I can use 90 or 100, but not 99.
Wow! That's really interesting. Thank you so much! I will add this to the OP in a 'stock' section this afternoon, after school. Now, as it goes for go_hispeed_load, does it also go for the target_loads? If so, you have just solved our problems :). Also, timer_rate 40000 was better in my testing.

Well, it seems that I didn't wait long enough with conclusions. Target_load won't stick either. Not sure how long it took before reverting back to default value.
Could you try to change them to only decimals, like I suggested above? You could just put in a few to test, then I will add the proper values to the OP.

mihaum

Jun 6, 2012
@TVD1903,
I've set them as on screenshot in the attachement.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20160205-074805.png
    Screenshot_20160205-074805.png
    60.6 KB · Views: 186

mihaum

Jun 6, 2012
@TVD1903,
could you give me some names? Preferably, free ones, no point paying for something that won't work ;)

TVD1903

Jan 9, 2016
Eindhoven
@TVD1903,
could you give me some names? Preferably, free ones, no point paying for something that won't work ;)
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=rs.pedjaapps.KernelTuner.compatibility
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=rs.pedjaapps.kt
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.simonedev.kernelm
I would recommend to 'buy' EX Kernel Manager as that one has worked for most people so far. You can always refund within 2 hours, no questions asked.

same here with stock mm....:(

---edit

i was wrong....
The 'Custom ROM settings' were working for you anyways weren't they?

Reactions: mihaum

Tel864

Nov 22, 2011
Greenville
I've found that some of my settings stick and some don't. It seems to take more than a few minutes but they eventually revert. Changing the permissions may work, but that makes them un-viewable in the kernel manager.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

TVD1903

Jan 9, 2016
Eindhoven
I've found that some of my settings stick and some don't. It seems to take more than a few minutes but they eventually revert. Changing the permissions may work, but that makes them un-viewable in the kernel manager.

Okay, so using only decimals did not help? Also, do you recommend changing permissions or should I just leave it the way it is, with it working for some?

Tel864

Nov 22, 2011
Greenville
I would leave it the way it is, since it seems to work for some and not for others. I would like to know what triggers the reset on mine. It will be okay for a time then it goes back and it's not a reboot, since I seldom reboot.

TVD1903

Jan 9, 2016
Eindhoven
I would leave it the way it is, since it seems to work for some and not for others. I would like to know what triggers the reset on mine. It will be okay for a time then it goes back and it's not a reboot, since I seldom reboot.

Yes will do. I have done some digging into it as well, but alas, I could not find anything. I have now sent @soniCron a PM asking for his help. It would be very good if he could help fix the issue.
I have also updated the OP.

drico_649

Sep 16, 2014
Sao Paulo
I had tested the tweaks and really noticed some smoothness after a little while. I've Suffered from the same problem of target_loads not sticking, but after a few things, it's pinned now.
Installed busybox on /su/bin, then on /system/xbin
installed kernel adiutor, made the changes and saved in a profile.
After applying and rebooting, all adjusts except target_load and go_hispeed_load stays pinned. So, instead of typing all that stuff again, I had simply applied the profile again. Then looking for target_load and go_hispeed_loads and it's sticky after 2 hours successfully. But in /sys/device/blablabla, go_hispeed_loads stays on 10 even after a manually entered value in the file itself. Just refreshed the folder and returned to 10, but target_loads still in their place.
I'm using stock 6.0 ROM with squid kernel r15b, busybox+root+xposed(gravitybox, amplify and greenify) and kernel adiutor.
It seems to have some kind of file in kernel or ROM itself writing on that go_hispeed_load file everytime screen goes off or something happens in kernel (don't know what exactly). in past, I had a problem with some permissions in lmk, just to find out that some scripts in / was changing permissions in boot. So this is my suggestion: some file is looking for changes or something like that in these values (or files) and changing it everytime... (sorry for some bad English :silly: )

Last edited:

justjr

Mar 24, 2013
Cuiaba
Samsung Galaxy A21s
Guys, stock and LOS based ROMS use PowerHAL, will never stick because PowerHAL will revert it as soon as you turn screen off or sooner. Use AOSP based roms or ask to the kernel developer to take PowerHAL off it's kernel, there are some tricks to do it, other then that, they will never stick.
Or use Interactive_pro if using custom kernel on one of this roms that will stick.
Nice tunables by the way.

@TVD1903,

Use this http://forum.xda-developers.com/android/apps-games/kernel-adiutor-mod-singularity-kernel-t3333549
Is the best free.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Any information in this thread is based on @soniCron's guide here. If anyone would like more information on how exactly this works, head over there.

Introduction

After having read through all of soniCron's posts, I was really impressed and I wanted to test if for myself, but I do not have either a Nexus 6P of a Nexus 5X. I do however have a Moto G 2015, and since instructions were provided to apply his technique on other devices, I decided to give it a go. So after quite a bit of testing and calculating, I have been able to come up with some tweaks for our little phone. Now, I have not yet fully tested the battery life with these tweaks. I feel like they will work though, and so far, performance has been better than before and according to some frequency tables, the frequencies are staying lower.

Some more details
    These tweaks should work on any ROM and/or kernel. However, there seem to be issues with the stock ROM, where either the target_loads and/or the above_hispeed_delay are not sticking. Please test for yourself. For a list of confirmed working ROMs, check below.
    Your phone must be rooted. If you are not sure how to do this, check this guide.

With this out of the way, we can finally start with some numbers. In accordance with soniCron's thread, I have started with calculating the nominal (minimum required to do anything smoothly) clock rates for scrolling, watching video and loading apps. These clock rates were calculated using the performance governor, limiting the maximum clock speeds while performing a given task. These are only my observations and yours may vary depending on your settings and how well you have optimised your system and browser etc. Be sure to check if the clock rates are similar to those that you need to run the given task smoothly, you should be good to go.
    For idle, I observed a nominal clock rate of 400000 MHz.
    For scrolling, I observed a nominal clock rate of 998400 MHz.
    For video watching, I observed a nominal clock rate of 1094400 MHz.
    And finally, for app loading, I observed a nominal clock rate of 1209600 MHz.
    With these values in mind, I then proceeded to calculating the maximum and minimum loads that were most efficient. (For more details, please see soniCron's thread)
    Here they are:
    • 200000:1
    • 400000:68
    • 533333:50
    • 800000:25
    • 998400:82
    • 1094400:86
    • 1152000:10
    • 1209600:80
    These values are essentially the target_loads the kernel looks for. I have also applied some other miscellaneous tweaks for the governor which all helped with performance while keeping battery life. Now, without further ado, I present you:

What you need to do (on Custom ROMs)

1) Make sure you are rooted and have Busybox installed.
    2) Download a kernel manager app. There are loads of these in the play store, but I personally recommend this one.
    3) Pop the following values in at the 'governor tunables' section, making sure you have the interactive governor selected.
    • above_hispeed_delay 20000 400000:60000 998400:30000
    • boostpulse_duration 80000
    • go_hispeed_load 99
    • hispeed_freq 1363200
    • max_freg_hysteresis 60000
    • min_sample_time 60000
    • target_loads 98 400000:68 533333:50 800000:25 998400:82 1094400:86 1152000:10 1209600:90
    • timer_rate 35000
    • timer_slack 80000
    • align_windows 1
    4) TURN OFF TOUCH BOOST
    5) (OPTIONAL) apply the other tweaks listed here
    6) Make sure it's working correctly. Check if everything keeps running smoothly. If it doesn't, optimize your device more, or increase the min_sample_time by increments of 5000. If your CPU is going over the Idle speed often, adjust the timer_rate upwards by increments of 5000. If it stays at the Idle speed too much, adjust it downwards by increments of 5000.
    7) ENJOY!

What you need to do (on Stock ROM)[Hit or miss for some]

1) Make sure you are rooted and have Busybox installed.
    2) Download a kernel manager app. There are loads of these in the play store, but I personally recommend this one.
    3) Pop the following values in at the 'governor tunables' section, making sure you have the interactive governor selected.
    • above_hispeed_delay 20000 400000:60000 998400:30000
    • boostpulse_duration 80000
    • go_hispeed_load 90
    • hispeed_freq 1363200
    • max_freg_hysteresis 60000
    • min_sample_time 60000
    • target_loads98 400000:68 533333:50 800000:25 998400:82 1094400:86 1152000:10 1209600:90 [These are not sticking for some, though we are looking for help as you read]
    • timer_rate 40000
    • timer_slack 80000
    • align_windows 1
    4) TURN OFF TOUCH BOOST
    5) (OPTIONAL) apply the other tweaks listed here
    6) Make sure it's working correctly. Check if everything keeps running smoothly. If it doesn't, optimize your device more, or increase the min_sample_time by increments of 5000. If your CPU is going over the Idle speed often, adjust the timer_rate upwards by increments of 10000. If it stays at the Idle speed too much, adjust it downwards by increments of 10000.
    7) ENJOY!

Conclusion
    I have had lots of fun with observing and calculating the optimal speeds and settings. I hope these tweaks will help someone and if they do, please let everyone know by leaving a post in this thread. Good luck!

Thanks to:
    @soniCron for making his amazing guide
    @squid2 for making the kernel that inspired me to make this guide
    @abhijeetc9762 for making the rooting guide
    @==vj== for making the other tweaks-guide
    @Tel864, @FalKoopa, @..::Matr!x::.. , @JackTheRipper1891, @hekomat, @mihaum and more for testing

Tested working on
    Squid kernel
    • crDroid 6.0.1
    • DominionOS 6.0.1
    X-Infinity kernel
    • crDroid 6.0.1
    • DominionOS 6.0.1
    Stock kernel
    • crDroid 6.0.1
    • Resurrection Remix 6.0.1
    • DominionOS 6.0.1
    Optimus kernel
    • crDroid 6.0.1
    Op finds discussions to be offensive. Hence deleted.
    Haha yes probably :). Oh well, it was more of an experiment anyways and the timer_rate at 40000 instead of 35000 will not make a lot -if any- on most systems anyways, sooo...

Great to see that your settings are sticking. No, the stock kernel does indeed not have the touchboost feature.

Sweet. As I mentioned above, the 5000 difference in the timer_rate will most likely not make a big difference. It is curious that it does not work on both a custom ROM and Kernel though. I have not encountered any issues on crDroid.

OK, I have a partial answer for the timer_rate setting. It will only take 10000 value increments. It will accept 30000 fine. Sooo, I'm wondering what would be best, 30000 or 40000.
    I've also discovered that go_hispeed_load will only take multiples of 10. I can use 90 or 100, but not 99.
    Great to see they seem to be working for you! Could you please let me know which ROM and/or Kernel you're using? I could use that information to make a 'working' or 'tested' list.
    I'm using the stock 6.0 ROM with Squid's Kernel, revision 14b. If it also helps, I'm on the 1GB version of XT1540.
    @TVD1903,
    thanks for the reply. I will test them later today and will give you some feedback ;)