• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[GUIDE] [Osprey] BOOTLOADER LOCK

Helpful

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Search This thread

cllewis1

Sep 2, 2012
Yes, magisk manager is installed as well as the magisk zip file, I have superuser via magisk, I can open up build.prop, after mounting /system/ as R/W, but when I add the line to build.prop, it won't save! Tells me just that it failed to save, no reason why or anything. Ideas?

---------- Post added at 01:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:55 PM ----------

You can't relock the bootloader unless you are completely stock and flash a stock image which will remove TWRP and LineageOS.

I don't think you understand what a Bootloader lock is... If locked, in general you cannot modify any system level portion, like recovery, boot image, system partition, etc... Which means no TWRP, no custom ROM, etc.

If somehow you managed to relock the bootloader with TWRP or LineageOS installed, it wouldn't boot since the boot image or recovery image won't have the correct signature... Basically, you would have a unrecoverable brick.

This was in fact exactly what I thought but I have seen other forums where the advice was to re-lock the bootloader in order to get android pay to work. I'm interested in android pay mainly just to test it out and see how it works - curiosity - so now I'm trying to figure out how to work around safety net.

acejavelin

Recognized Contributor
Sep 3, 2009
Lincoln, ND
Google Pixel 5a
Yes, magisk manager is installed as well as the magisk zip file, I have superuser via magisk, I can open up build.prop, after mounting /system/ as R/W, but when I add the line to build.prop, it won't save! Tells me just that it failed to save, no reason why or anything. Ideas?

---------- Post added at 01:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:55 PM ----------

This was in fact exactly what I thought but I have seen other forums where the advice was to re-lock the bootloader in order to get android pay to work. I'm interested in android pay mainly just to test it out and see how it works - curiosity - so now I'm trying to figure out how to work around safety net.
That is correct, but you must be PURE stock.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    BISSMILLAH
    Hi, this guide will help you to relock your bootloader, in a few commands.
    We know that it's was a tabu on Moto G3 environment, but a few times a go.

Requirement
    OSPREY with considerable charge
    PC/LAPTOP running Windows or Ubuntu (or other Linux Based OS also)
    Only For Windows Users
    Drivers: http://bit.ly/1WMv2L1
    Only For Linux Users
    Open TERMINAL and run the following:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:nilarimogard/webupd8
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install android-tools-adb android-tools-fastboot

Both Of Users
    Official Images: http://bit.ly/1GfUqwr
    Fastboot Files: http://bit.ly/1OncC0H

BEFORE PROCEED:
    Relocking your bootloader means that you will no longer be a"tweaker" no TWRP no ROOT, no any other mods.
    And its required to full flash the official images, so say goodbye for Custom ROMs.
    In this process you'll lose all you data stored on internal storage, including all accounts, musics, videos, pic, installed apps. So, it's a good time to BackUp your important files.
    After lock, on bootloader screen you should see:
    Device is LOCKED. Status Code: 2
    Software status: Modified
    (For Now) We Cant Change to 0 and official, but's locked.
    The bootloader warning messege will appear, after all procedure change the official logo.bin with modified.
    You'll need to factory reset your device before.
    Ubuntu users will need permission to use fastboot commands, so run su before.
    The system.img_sparsechunk files are variable, so make sure you have flashed sequentially until the last.

FQA:
    Q: If I relock my bootloader, will I have my warranty alive again?
    A: No.

Q: Can i install TWRP or Root after lock my device's bootloader?
    A: No, maybe with some unknown tricks by me.

Q: How to (re)unlock?
    A: In order to unlock your devices again you need to allow it on developer settings and also you'll need your bootloader code.
    for security reason don't expose these information, turn off OEM unlock on developer setting and hide your unlock code given by Moto.

PROCEED:
    Download required files, and place on easy-find-place.
    Extract both of files and the images files on [adb-fastboot-latest_win_linux] folder.

And open CMD or TERMINAL on this folder
    Connect your device to via USB CABLE

Test it, if everything is fine by running this command:

fastboot devices

You'll see [SERIAL NUMBER] fastboot
    Meaning everything is OK.

Now just run this sequence of commands:

fastboot oem lock begin
    fastboot flash partition gpt.bin
    fastboot flash bootloader bootloader.img
    fastboot flash logo logo.bin
    fastboot flash boot boot.img
    fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
    fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.0
    fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.1
    fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.2
    fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.3
    fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.4
    fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.5
    fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.6
    fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.7
    fastboot flash modem NON-HLOS.bin
    fastboot erase modemst1
    fastboot erase modemst2
    fastboot flash fsg fsg.mbn
    fastboot erase cache
    fastboot erase userdata
    fastboot oem lock
    fastboot reboot

Now Your Bootloader will locked Successfully

All Credit Goes To:
    @lost101
    @mobs84

Sorry for my mistakes
    And I hope this helps someone!
    FQA:
    Q: If I relock my bootloader, will I have my warranty alive again?

A: I don't know, probably no. Even after relocking your bootloader, it's possible to see if the smartphone was previously unlocked or not.
    It will not allow you regain your warranty... Get the code, lose your warranty, the actual state of the device being locked, unlocked, modified or stock is not relevant.

From Moto's Legal Terms and Conditions

5. The following applies to all devices, except for Developer Edition devices: Obtaining an unlock code voids all warranties. Once you get the unlock code, your device is no longer covered by the Motorola warranty, or any other warranty provided with the device. Neither Motorola, nor your wireless carrier shall have any duty to provide warranty or customer support for unlocked devices.

(5) THE FOLLOWING APPLIES TO ALL UNLOCKED DEVICES EXCEPT FOR DEVELOPER EDITION DEVICES, BY OBTAINING THE UNLOCK CODE FOR THIS DEVICE, IRRESPECTIVE OF WHETHER THE DEVICE’S BOOTLOADER IS SUBSEQUENTLY UNLOCKED OR ITS SOFTWARE OR OPERATING SYSTEM IS MODIFIED, USER AGREES TO WAIVE AND VOID ALL WARRANTIES THAT MAY HAVE BEEN PROVIDED BY MOTOROLA OR YOUR WIRELESS CARRIER, BOTH EXPRESS AND IMPLIED, INCLUDING ANY WRITTEN WARRANTY THAT ACCOMPANIED THE DEVICE AT THE TIME OF PURCHASE OR DELIVERY, AND AGREES THAT ANY RIGHTS OR REMEDIES PROVIDED BY SUCH A WARRANTY ARE NULL AND VOID. NEITHER MOTOROLA, NOR YOUR WIRELESS CARRIER, MAKES ANY WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND, AND MOTOROLA AND YOUR WIRELESS CARRIER DISCLAIM ALL WARRANTIES OF EVERY KIND, EXPRESS, IMPLIED, OR STATUTORY, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE IN CONNECTION WITH AN UNLOCKED DEVICE. USER ACKNOWLEDGES AND AGREES THAT ALL SUCH WARRANTIES ARE HEREBY EXCLUDED AND THAT ALL UNLOCKED DEVICES ARE PROVIDED "AS IS," WITH NO WARRANTY OF ANY KIND;
    Thanks for your information, monthly constantly I reset my phone and reinstall everything again (is just a habit), and I remember that sometimes I flashed those file without any problems.
    I updated the post above with more information. The situation described will only happen to a very small percentage of users. However it could occur for anyone, even those that have never unlocked their Bootloader - but obviously they can return the phone if still under warranty.

As I mention, with "OEM Unlocking" enabled - more options are available to repair the phone. If Bootloader corruption occurs, or the phone hard-bricks entirely then a recovery method like the following would be required:
    I'd like to make anyone who has - unlocked their Bootloader and re-locked it - aware of a potentially serious situation.

User @Morphine1 has re-locked his phone and now has a handset that will not accept any Factory Firmware Image currently available. This is a form of 'downgrade prevention.' Eventually a newer firmware image will be released and the handset useable again, but it may take months of waiting.

Post: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=68442857&postcount=710

For now it's worth considering that if your handset bricks (it can happen randomly) - you may be unable to flash any firmware image and be stuck with a dead phone.

--

Update: @Morphine1's phone apparently got into this situation because of a failed Motorola OTA upgrade to Android 6.0.1. The upgrade process either failed or got interrupted and this appears to have created corruption on the phone. The OTA Upgrade process also flashes Bootloader - which is why it's a serious matter if something goes wrong.

Again the message here is that if you have unlocked your Bootloader - leaving it unlocked will give you more options for recovery. It may have been possible to repair the phone via TWRP / ADB had "OEM Unlocking" been enabled.
    If I lock my bootloader and change my logo.bin how can people at service center know I unlocked my device
    :confused:
    Most likely your status code will remain 2 or 3 or similar. I don't remember what was the status code for untouched phones, I think it shows 0.

Broadcasted from Zeta Retuculi