[GUIDE] OTA updates with Magisk

Search This thread

larsdennert

Dec 5, 2007
If you have managed to root your phone with Magisk, getting updates after that for the stock ROM isn't always a smooth thing. Here are some steps to be successful with updates.

1. Open Magisk Manager and disable all installed modules by unchecking the circle for each.
Screenshot_20190610-111942.jpg

Please note that steps 2-4 can be done with the stock 1+ updater so long as it senses that you are rooted and offers to download a full rom. So a note about magisk hide which is used to hide root. Make sure you haven't managed to hide root for any process related to the 1+updater or it won't know you are rooted and will offer incremental updates.

2. Install Oxygen Updater (This app may become abandoned in 2019 requiring the use of the stock updater which is slower or manually downloading roms.) https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.arjanvlek.oxygenupdater
3. Open the app, verify that your device is identified correctly. Open it's settings and set Update Method to "Full Update"
Screenshot_20190606-201917.jpg

4. Check for an update and download it. Make sure you end up with a full 2GB ROM image not an incremental small one. It will be in the root of internal storage.
DO NOT use Oxygen Updater to update the phone (unless you have TWRP and that is for a different GUIDE)
5. Open the built in OnePlus updater: Settings - System - System Updates - Gear - Local Upgrade and select the newly downloaded update. TAKE NOTE while it is installing which slot it is installing too. It will say something like "inactive slot a". Remember this as it is the "new" slot.
6. After it has installed DO NOT reboot the phone or you will lose root. Open Magisk Manager and install Magisk, even though it says "installed". Select the option when it prompts for "after OTA". This will install magisk in the boot partition of the new slot.
7. Reboot and If all went well you shouldn't boot loop and you'll be running the new slot. If you want TWRP (optional), install the zip now from Magisk->Modules->+ (sign) then select the TWRP zip file and install it. Do NOT reboot. Then do a "Direct Install" of Magisk again, then reboot.
8. Open Magisk Manager and go to the downloads section and reinstall the modules you want to use. Do this from the Downloads screen or using the + button on the Modules screen. This will install them in the current slot.
Screenshot_20190610-111956.jpg

DO NOT simply reenable the modules with the check mark or you will boot loop. Some modules aren't listed in Magisk and can't be automatically moved from slot to slot. If you installed one of those previously, you must reinstall it with the plus button manually from the modules tab.
You should be done now.

Oh no I'm boot looping: Don't panic.
1. Make sure you have adb/fastboot 1.4.3 or newer on a PC https://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2317790
2. Boot the phone into Bootloader/fastboot either through the recovery menu or VolDn + Pwr
3. If in step 5 above the inactive slot was "a", issue the command from a PC command prompt:
fastboot --set_active=b
or vice versa
fastboot --set_active=a
If you are not sure which to use try one or fastboot getvar current-slot
4. Then: fastboot reboot
This will allow the phone to boot into the last good ROM version. Now you figure out what went wrong.

Another option If your phone didn't retain root, you can stay in the unrooted slot. download a rooted boot image of your firmware version, place it in the your fastboot pc directory, reboot the phone to fastboot and issue the command: fastboot boot boot.img (or whatever the downloaded image is called.) this is a temporary root that is non destructive. Then do a direct install from Magisk manager even though it already says installed. That will permanently root your boot copy. Then install your modules.
Here is the 9.5.11 1917AA rooted boot image https://www.dropbox.com/s/6csxd9zaa4mihwk/boot_a_backup_2019-08-04_19-05-29.img?dl=0

If your phone looped right after flashing, you may not have disabled Magisk modules properly. You can still disable them from the good slot, swap active slots again using fastboot and see if it boots into the new ROM. If not, swap back to the good old slot again and start over flashing again from the beginning.

If you looped after reenabling your modules, it is possible you only enabled one but didn't install it into the new slot. Again swap back to the good slot and disable the modules. Swap back to the new slot and install the modules again even if Magisk thinks they are there.

If all else fails, you can stay in the good old slot until you sort things. If you are looping in both slots then something really went bad and you have to flash back a full ROM from fastboot. See this thread
https://buzzfire.de/xda/t3931424
Then root again using the rooted boot image above.
You may be able to boot into the old rooted slot and root the new slot with the ota option also.

If you have issues where stuff like Wifi doesn't work, then somewhere along the line or previously you flashed a (boot) image that didn't match the /system image in the slot you were working on. This error will persist in that slot every time you use that slot until it gets a fixed set of images.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

gtelnet

Dec 19, 2009
I updated to 9.5.7 yesterday with following process, which was very simple (also used the same exact process to update to 9.5.6 last week):
Note: This assumes your device is already bootloader unlocked and has developer options enabled.
Download latest twrp.zip to your phone
Download latest magisk.zip to your phone
Download latest twrp.img to your pc
Allow oxygen updater to download/install OTA. It will say 'your device is rooted, a full image will be downloaded'. (If you're not already rooted, this process will still work)
After it completes the installation, do not select reboot. Instead, hold power button and press reboot to bootloader (make sure you enabled Advanced reboot in settings to see that option)
In fastboot and connected to pc, run from pc: fastboot flash boot twrp-3.3.1-3-guacamole.img (or whatever latest version is - you need to do this step because the OTA wipes out twrp if you already had it installed)
Reboot phone to twrp recovery
Flash install the twrp.zip you downloaded above
Flash install the magisk.zip you downloaded above
Reboot System
Done

Using this method, I haven't needed to change the slots at all, as the OOS updater takes care of that and the twrp/magisk flash installs each to both slots. This method preserves all data/settings/root (but I still do a twrp backup just prior to doing the update). I had tried the magisk install OTA to inactive slot option a few times but it never worked for me. This method also eliminates the need to download any patched boot images.

Last edited:

kimyeungg

Jan 14, 2017
If you are on bootloop, just simply flash magisk_uninstaller.zip on twrp
boot into system > then flash magisk on twrp again.

Reactions: larsdennert

jharn06

Mar 22, 2012
Xiaomi Mi 11 Ultra
I updated to 9.5.7 yesterday with following process, which was very simple (also used the same exact process to update to 9.5.6 last week):
Note: This assumes your device is already bootloader unlocked and has developer options enabled.
Allow oxygen updater to download/install OTA. It will say 'your device is rooted, a full image will be downloaded'. (If you're not already rooted, this process will still work)
After it completes the installation, do not select reboot. Instead, hold power button and press reboot to bootloader (make sure you enabled Advanced reboot in settings to see that option)
In fastboot and connected to pc, run from pc: fastboot flash boot twrp-3.3.1-3-guacamole.img (or whatever latest version is - you need to do this step because the OTA wipes out twrp if you already had it installed)
Reboot System
Done

Using this method, I haven't needed to change the slots at all, as the OOS updater takes care of that and the twrp/magisk flash installs each to both slots. This method preserves all data/settings/root (but I still do a twrp backup just prior to doing the update). I had tried the magisk install OTA to inactive slot option a few times but it never worked for me. This method also eliminates the need to download any patched boot images.

You Sir are the good damn man i have spent 3hrs trying to update to 9.5.9 cheers boss!!

Reactions: gtelnet

philidor

Sep 30, 2007
Google Nexus 5
Google Pixel 7 Pro
I just start the update under settings, system, syst update
It found new update and tell me he need to download full ROM (I have rmagisk installed).
While it was downloading full ROM I uninstall magisk from magisk app.
After update finish before restart I installed magisk again (option after ota update) and restart.
Now I'm updated and with magisk installed

Inviato dal mio GM1913 utilizzando Tapatalk

larsdennert

Dec 5, 2007

Yes I'm thinking, In the worst case it may be possible to use the stock updater as it senses root and downloads the full update now. Simply substitute the step where oxygen updater is used to download with the stock updater.

There may be a slightly longer delay before the stock updater offers an update as 1+ does it in waves. I have to hand it to 1+for even offering updates as most phones won't.

Reactions: Anon87 and SlyUK

mikek753

Sep 24, 2013
OnePlus 7 Pro
hi experts,

what and where to set or unset to make sure there is NO auto OTA update?
How do I control the update time on my op7p?

I'd like to avoid surprise of getting update in background that would / can remove root, magisk and etc that were manually added?
as example I use xXx over magisk and I's like to be prepared ahead of time to apply the OTA update

thanks for the education.

i.Design

Aug 19, 2012
If we have TWRP installed could we get a guide for using the updater app?

I used a method that didn't require uninstalling Magisk modules or even booting into recovery (unless you have issues):

1.) Download FULL OTA from 1+ updater (should be approximately 2gb)
2.) Disable all Magisk modules and substratum themes
3.) Install OTA manually via the system updater in Settings > System > System Updates > Gear in upper right > Local Upgrade **DON'T REBOOT!!!**
4.) Search for TWRP Retention Script in Magisk, install **DON'T REBOOT!!!**
5.) Re-install Magisk from the main page in Magisk Manager App (OTA Option) **REBOOT**
6.) Re-enable Magisk modules and any substratum themes **REBOOT**

If you get stuck in a bootloop due to a Magisk module causing issues (EdXposed did this to me) you can:
Boot Into Recovery (Volume Down + Power Button) > Advanced > File Manager > Navigate to data/adb/modules > Click module you want to disable / delete > Hit bottom right checkmark > Delete > Hit Home > Reboot System

Magisk modules I'm currently running in 9.5.10 with no issues:
- Google Dialer Framework
- Google Product Sans
- liboemcrypto disabler
- OnePlus Google Launcher
- Renovate Ice
- Substratum
- ViperFX
- xxxNoLimitsxxx

Last edited:
I used a method that didn't require uninstalling Magisk modules or even booting into recovery (unless you have issues):

2.) Install OTA manually via the system updater in Settings > System > System Updates > Gear in upper right > Local Upgrade **DON'T REBOOT!!!**
3.) Disable all Magisk modules and substratum themes
5.) Re-install Magisk from the main page in Magisk Manager App **REBOOT**

If you get stuck in a bootloop due to a Magisk module causing issues (EdXposed did this to me) you can:
Boot Into Recovery (Volume Down + Power Button) > Advanced > File Manager > Navigate to data/adb/modules > Click module you want to disable / delete > Hit bottom right checkmark > Delete > Hit Home > Reboot System

- Google Product Sans
- liboemcrypto disabler
- Renovate Ice
- Substratum
- ViperFX
- xxxNoLimitsxxx

Question. How do you know it was edxposed module? I'm currently trying to track down. Why I'm still getting SOD after updating from 9.5.9 to 9.5.10

i.Design

Aug 19, 2012
Question. How do you know it was edxposed module? I'm currently trying to track down. Why I'm still getting SOD after updating from 9.5.9 to 9.5.10

I assumed it was and disabled it first, did a reboot and booted up fine. It was a good guess :p

Best bet would be to delete all modules and start from scratch if you're not sure. It depends what kinds of modules you run.

I had issues of bootloop where I would get past the unlocked message and boot up animation but then would freeze with my background showing only (no launcher, no status bar, etc).

Last edited:

i.Design

Aug 19, 2012
Yeah back to the drawing broad for me. Luckily I don't run many modules. Just edXposed , xXx and Riru Core.
I was running Riru Core, edXposed and ended up dropping both, it wasn't worth the hassle for me since I run Renovate Ice and it does most of the tweaks I want from GravityBox (reason I was running Xposed).

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    If you have managed to root your phone with Magisk, getting updates after that for the stock ROM isn't always a smooth thing. Here are some steps to be successful with updates.

1. Open Magisk Manager and disable all installed modules by unchecking the circle for each.
    Screenshot_20190610-111942.jpg

Please note that steps 2-4 can be done with the stock 1+ updater so long as it senses that you are rooted and offers to download a full rom. So a note about magisk hide which is used to hide root. Make sure you haven't managed to hide root for any process related to the 1+updater or it won't know you are rooted and will offer incremental updates.

2. Install Oxygen Updater (This app may become abandoned in 2019 requiring the use of the stock updater which is slower or manually downloading roms.) https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.arjanvlek.oxygenupdater
    3. Open the app, verify that your device is identified correctly. Open it's settings and set Update Method to "Full Update"
    Screenshot_20190606-201917.jpg

4. Check for an update and download it. Make sure you end up with a full 2GB ROM image not an incremental small one. It will be in the root of internal storage.
    DO NOT use Oxygen Updater to update the phone (unless you have TWRP and that is for a different GUIDE)
    5. Open the built in OnePlus updater: Settings - System - System Updates - Gear - Local Upgrade and select the newly downloaded update. TAKE NOTE while it is installing which slot it is installing too. It will say something like "inactive slot a". Remember this as it is the "new" slot.
    6. After it has installed DO NOT reboot the phone or you will lose root. Open Magisk Manager and install Magisk, even though it says "installed". Select the option when it prompts for "after OTA". This will install magisk in the boot partition of the new slot.
    7. Reboot and If all went well you shouldn't boot loop and you'll be running the new slot. If you want TWRP (optional), install the zip now from Magisk->Modules->+ (sign) then select the TWRP zip file and install it. Do NOT reboot. Then do a "Direct Install" of Magisk again, then reboot.
    8. Open Magisk Manager and go to the downloads section and reinstall the modules you want to use. Do this from the Downloads screen or using the + button on the Modules screen. This will install them in the current slot.
    Screenshot_20190610-111956.jpg

DO NOT simply reenable the modules with the check mark or you will boot loop. Some modules aren't listed in Magisk and can't be automatically moved from slot to slot. If you installed one of those previously, you must reinstall it with the plus button manually from the modules tab.
    You should be done now.

Oh no I'm boot looping: Don't panic.
    1. Make sure you have adb/fastboot 1.4.3 or newer on a PC https://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2317790
    2. Boot the phone into Bootloader/fastboot either through the recovery menu or VolDn + Pwr
    3. If in step 5 above the inactive slot was "a", issue the command from a PC command prompt:
    fastboot --set_active=b
    or vice versa
    fastboot --set_active=a
    If you are not sure which to use try one or fastboot getvar current-slot
    4. Then: fastboot reboot
    This will allow the phone to boot into the last good ROM version. Now you figure out what went wrong.

Another option If your phone didn't retain root, you can stay in the unrooted slot. download a rooted boot image of your firmware version, place it in the your fastboot pc directory, reboot the phone to fastboot and issue the command: fastboot boot boot.img (or whatever the downloaded image is called.) this is a temporary root that is non destructive. Then do a direct install from Magisk manager even though it already says installed. That will permanently root your boot copy. Then install your modules.
    Here is the 9.5.11 1917AA rooted boot image https://www.dropbox.com/s/6csxd9zaa4mihwk/boot_a_backup_2019-08-04_19-05-29.img?dl=0

If your phone looped right after flashing, you may not have disabled Magisk modules properly. You can still disable them from the good slot, swap active slots again using fastboot and see if it boots into the new ROM. If not, swap back to the good old slot again and start over flashing again from the beginning.

If you looped after reenabling your modules, it is possible you only enabled one but didn't install it into the new slot. Again swap back to the good slot and disable the modules. Swap back to the new slot and install the modules again even if Magisk thinks they are there.

If all else fails, you can stay in the good old slot until you sort things. If you are looping in both slots then something really went bad and you have to flash back a full ROM from fastboot. See this thread
    https://buzzfire.de/xda/t3931424
    Then root again using the rooted boot image above.
    You may be able to boot into the old rooted slot and root the new slot with the ota option also.

If you have issues where stuff like Wifi doesn't work, then somewhere along the line or previously you flashed a (boot) image that didn't match the /system image in the slot you were working on. This error will persist in that slot every time you use that slot until it gets a fixed set of images.

Hope this helps!
    Reboot System
    Done

Except that if you have problematic modules installed and don't disable and reinstall them, you will boot loop.
    If we have TWRP installed could we get a guide for using the updater app?

2.) Disable all Magisk modules and substratum themes
    3.) Install OTA manually via the system updater in Settings > System > System Updates > Gear in upper right > Local Upgrade **DON'T REBOOT!!!**
    5.) Re-install Magisk from the main page in Magisk Manager App (OTA Option) **REBOOT**

- Google Product Sans
    - liboemcrypto disabler
    - Renovate Ice
    - Substratum
    - ViperFX
    - xxxNoLimitsxxx

1. Open Magisk...

Yesterday I received the OTA update for OOS 9.5.10.
    I followed your procedure and everything went super fine.
    No hiccup at all.

Thanks!
    ??