[Guide] Pixel XL Android 7(Nougat) Unlock/Install Stock Images + Kernels/Recovery +

Search This thread

lloydsw

Feb 19, 2012
Interesting....So I just got two new in-box Pixel XLs from Google. Today I sat down to unlock the bootloader & root. When I did the first one, on booting into TWRP using fastboot, I get a screen that says 'Mount, Decrypt Data', asking for a password, giving me a chance to cancel, which I did. I thought it was odd that the 'sdcard' directory was garbled when I looked with TWRP's file manager. But I flashed TWRP & SU anyway, and it seems to have worked fine. I guess. Anyway, I did my wife's phone EXACTLY the same way and I'm not getting the same message when booting into TWRP, and looking into the 'sdcard' directory is completely normal. Any ideas?

Homeboy76

• Aug 24, 2012
    Interesting....So I just got two new in-box Pixel XLs from Google. Today I sat down to unlock the bootloader & root. When I did the first one, on booting into TWRP using fastboot, I get a screen that says 'Mount, Decrypt Data', asking for a password, giving me a chance to cancel, which I did. I thought it was odd that the 'sdcard' directory was garbled when I looked with TWRP's file manager. But I flashed TWRP & SU anyway, and it seems to have worked fine. I guess. Anyway, I did my wife's phone EXACTLY the same way and I'm not getting the same message when booting into TWRP, and looking into the 'sdcard' directory is completely normal. Any ideas?

You want to see the message 'that is asking for the pin'. TWRP needs the PIN to decrypt data, that is why it's important to set your pin before proceeding with #4 or #5. When you cancelled did you set your pin before proceeding? If not what did you do?

lloydsw

Feb 19, 2012
    You want to see the message 'that is asking for the pin'. TWRP needs the PIN to decrypt data, that is why it's important to set your pin before proceeding with #4 or #5. When you cancelled did you set your pin before proceeding? If not what did you do?

On both phones I booted up, skipped all the setup I could, enabled developer options, toggled USB debugging & allowed bootloader unlocking, set a security pin. On *my* phone, after fastbooting TWRP, I landed on a screen to enter a PASSWORD to decrypt data. On my *wife's* phone I don't get that screen. After pressing 'cancel', TWRP seems to act normally...but when I use the file manager to look in 'sdcard', it's gobbledegook. That concerns me since I like to do TWRP backups.

Attachments

• twrp.jpg
      twrp.jpg
      256.3 KB · Views: 66

TonikJDK

• Dec 9, 2012
    On both phones I booted up, skipped all the setup I could, enabled developer options, toggled USB debugging & allowed bootloader unlocking, set a security pin. On *my* phone, after fastbooting TWRP, I landed on a screen to enter a PASSWORD to decrypt data. On my *wife's* phone I don't get that screen. After pressing 'cancel', TWRP seems to act normally...but when I use the file manager to look in 'sdcard', it's gobbledegook. That concerns me since I like to do TWRP backups.

Common problem. Just have to reboot a few times before TWRP gets it right and decrypts.

Homeboy76

• Aug 24, 2012

Your wife's phone does not have a pin and the sdcard is goobledegook? You need TWRP to ask for the pin. If the Build Number of your firmware is NGH47Q, NJH47F, NKG47S, or NZH54D depending on your carrier. You have the latest firmware installed. On the phone(s) without the pin Boot into bootloader, connect your phone to the computer, open a command prompt in the directory where the fastboot command is type:
    Code:
    fastboot update image-marlin-aaa99a.zip
    replace the 'aaa99a' with your Build Number, you will not lose your data. Then # 4 if you want to root with SuperSU or #5 if you want to root with Magisk.

Last edited:

lloydsw

Feb 19, 2012
    Your wife's phone does not have a pin and the sdcard is goobledegook? You need TWRP to ask for the pin. If the Build Number of your firmware is NGH47Q, NJH47F, NKG47S, or NZH54D depending on your carrier. You have the latest firmware installed. On the phone(s) without the pin Boot into bootloader, connect your phone to the computer, open a command prompt in the directory where the fastboot command is type:
    Code:
    fastboot update image-marlin-aaa99a.zip
    replace the 'aaa99a' with your Build Number, you will not lose your data. Then # 4 if you want to root with SuperSU or #5 if you want to root with Magisk.

Ok, I admit I'm an idiot. Because the screen pic I took and posted above asked for a password, I didn't try a PIN. So today I tried the pin and it worked! Sorry for the confusion!

techeligible3322

Aug 14, 2017
    Riyadh
    www.techeligible.com
    Is secure to ROOT

Can someone tell me that is it safe and secure to ROOT any android device ? because in Motorola if you root device, i heard, then you will start facing many issues in your device, and also you cannot claim your device on warranty, because of ROOTING device. ????? :rolleyes:

GroovinChip

Aug 7, 2016
    Can someone tell me that is it safe and secure to ROOT any android device ? because in Motorola if you root device, i heard, then you will start facing many issues in your device, and also you cannot claim your device on warranty, because of ROOTING device. ????? :rolleyes:
    Simply rooting a device shouldn't cause issues with how the phone runs. It's when you start getting into things like tweaks or flashing a custom ROM where you can potentially screw things up if you do them wrong. As for warranty, you can un-root a phone, and as far as I know there is no way to know if a device as been previously rooted.

Sent from my Google Pixel XL using XDA Labs

Reactions: techeligible3322

mrwicked

Jul 15, 2010
    Kansas City
    Bout to start root on this phone and have a question. I'm on Sprint and have the August security patch with build # NKG47S. So my question is, what's the difference between 7.1.2 (NKG47S, Aug 2017, T-Mobile, Fi carriers, and Rogers) and 7.1.2 (NJH47F, Aug 2017)? I should use NKG47S? Thanks

techeligible3322

Aug 14, 2017
    Riyadh
    www.techeligible.com
    Aha!!!!

Simply rooting a device shouldn't cause issues with how the phone runs. It's when you start getting into things like tweaks or flashing a custom ROM where you can potentially screw things up if you do them wrong. As for warranty, you can un-root a phone, and as far as I know there is no way to know if a device as been previously rooted.

Thanks dude :)

TonikJDK

• Dec 9, 2012
    Bout to start root on this phone and have a question. I'm on Sprint and have the August security patch with build # NKG47S. So my question is, what's the difference between 7.1.2 (NKG47S, Aug 2017, T-Mobile, Fi carriers, and Rogers) and 7.1.2 (NJH47F, Aug 2017)? I should use NKG47S? Thanks

S is for the carriers listed and F is for everything else...Except the Verizon one. You would use F since you are not on any of the carriers listed.

Minimal differences...just tweaks to the radio for better reception.

Reactions: mrwicked

GroovinChip

Aug 7, 2016
    Aah!!!!! To root device, first we need to unlock bootloader, thats kind a massive sacrificing for having erased all data
    Not really, it's not very hard to make backups. Your device backs up your apps to your Google account, so when you set up a new device you can choose to download all your apps again. There are also apps that backup your SMS a D call logs. You might have to sign in to your apps again and restore specific settings but if you really want root and the benefits it brings them it's not too much of an inconvenience.

Reactions: techeligible3322

lloydsw

Feb 19, 2012
    Lol, You are not an idiot everyone makes mistakes.

Query: Our phones came from Google with the 'F' factory image. We are currently testdriving T-mobile in the hopes of escaping big red. Living in the sticks, our coverage is quite a bit more spoty than my brother with his T-mobile branded phone. I'm currently downloading the 'F' image, see if it improves. Do I need to flash it all or just the radio? Thanks!

pcriz

Aug 23, 2008
    Query: Our phones came from Google with the 'F' factory image. We are currently testdriving T-mobile in the hopes of escaping big red. Living in the sticks, our coverage is quite a bit more spoty than my brother with his T-mobile branded phone. I'm currently downloading the 'F' image, see if it improves. Do I need to flash it all or just the radio? Thanks!

I'd just flash the radio and modem

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
      [Guide] Pixel XL Android 7.1.2 (OREO) Unlock/Lock Bootloader + Install Stock Images/Custom kernels/TWRP Recovery/Systemless ROOT + August 2017 Security Patch

Intro
      • This thread is for Pixel XL owners that want to Root their phone, and enjoy the benefits of rooting it without installing a custom ROM. However, for those that just can't live without a Custom ROM, take a look at 'Custom ROMs for Pixel/Pixel XL'.
      • It also works for Pixel owners: If, they download the correct files for their Pixel.
      • This Guide is not for use with the Second Generation Pixel 2 or Pixel 2 XL devices.

Update(s):
      • Other - Added 'Other' after 'Prerequisites'

Disclaimers:
      • I assume no responsibility for the malfunctioning/bricking of your phone.
      • The order of listed items i.e., Custom Kernels, Custom ROMS, etc. Does not indicate my preference for them. It is your responsibility to do the research before selecting an item.

Prerequisites

Need help installing Android SDK or SDK Platform Tools

Other

Credit/Thanks/Recognitions

Index
      1. Open Command Prompt/ Boot Bootloader/Boot Recovery

1. Open Command Prompt on Computer
          • Option 1 - Open File Explorer, click the platform-tools folder, press shift, right click, and select open command prompt here.
          • Option 2 - Open File Explorer, click platform-tools folder, highlight the directory information in the address bar or click the folder (left side of address bar) to highlight it type 'cmd' and press enter.
          • Note: If your computer only has 'open powershell here' in the context menu and you do not want to change it or add open 'command prompt here' use use option 2.
        2. Boot Bootloader:
          • Power off phone, press and hold the power and volume down buttons until you see Start.
        3. Boot Recovery
          • Power off phone, press and hold the power and volume down buttons until you see Start. Press volume Up/Down button until you see Recovery Mode > Press Power button.
      2. Testing ADB (Android Debug Bridge)/fastboot

• ADB
          1. Enable USB Debugging - Tap Settings > System > About Phone > Developer Options. Enable USB Debugging.
          2. Open a Command Prompt on your computer.
          3. Type this at the prompt and press enter to test ADB.
            Code:
            adb version
            It should return a version number for ADB.
        • fastboot
          1. Enable USB Debugging - Tap Settings > System > About Phone > Developer Options. Enable USB Debugging.
          2. Open a Command Prompt on your computer.
          3. Boot bootloader.
          4. Connect your phone to your computer with a USB cable.
          5. Type this at the prompt and press enter to test fastboot.
            Code:
            fastboot devices
            It should return your device serial number.
      3. Unlock Your Bootloader

• Backup your data and Internal storage
        • Activate Developer Options: Tap Settings > System > About Phone > Build Number. Tap Build Number until you see you're a Developer. Tap back > Developer Options. Enable OEM Unlock and, USB Debugging.
        • Boot Bootloader
        • Connect your phone to your computer via USB cable.
        • Open a Command Prompt on your computer.
        • Type the following at the prompt and press enter:
          Code:
          fastboot flashing unlock
          This will erase all user data from the device!
        • You should see a screen on your phone asking you to confirm this action, use the volume keys to scroll and the power key to make your selection.
        • Allow the process to complete and then issue this command:
          Code:
          fastboot reboot
        • When your phone reboots disconnect your usb cable.

Note: After unlocking your bootloader, you'll be greeted with a warning that says Your device software can't be checked for corruption. Please lock the bootloader everytime you reboot. It's ok, as long as your bootloader is unlocked it will stay there.

Important: do not repeat do not relock your bootloader unless your phone is fully stock. You must flash the factory images first in order to remove root and custom recovery (if you have them), if this precaution isn't taken you may end up with a brick. Please see 9 of this guide for instructions on how to return to stock and lock the boot loader.
      4. Install Factory Image and wipe data

• Download the factory image for your phone and carrier.
        • Unzip factory Image
        • Copy the following files to the Platform Tools folder on your Computer
          1. flash-all.bat
          2. bootloader-marlin-9999-999999-9999999999.img
          3. radio-marlin-9999-999999-9999999999.img
          4. image-marlin-aaa99a.zip
        • Boot Bootloader
        • Connect phone to Computer with USB cable
        • Type the following at the prompt and press enter.
          Code:
          flash-all
      5. Install Factory Image and keep data

• Download the factory image for your phone and carrier.
        • Unzip factory Image
        • Edit flash-all.bat: Remove -w
        • Copy the following files to the Platform Tools folder on your Computer
          1. flash-all.bat
          2. bootloader-marlin-9999-999999-9999999999.img
          3. radio-marlin-9999-999999-9999999999.img
          4. image-marlin-aaa99a.zip
        • Boot Bootloader
        • Connect phone to Computer with USB cable
        • Type the following at the prompt and press enter.
          Code:
          flash-all
      6. Install A Custom Recovery and Root with SuperSU

• Important: Set Pin before installing TWRP: Setting > Security > Pin.
        • Important: Make and restore nandroid backups with TRWP RC1 zip. Some, users have reported problems creating/restoring nandroid backups with TWRP RC2 zip.
      7. Install A Custom Recovery and Root with Magisk (Clean Install)

• Important: Set Pin before installing TWRP: Setting > Security > Pin.
        • Important: Make and restore nandroid backups with TRWP RC1 zip. Some, users have reported problems creating/restoring nandroid backups with TWRP RC2 zip.
        • Note:[Substratum] theme Spectrum does not work with Magisk root.
        • Download the following files:
          1. ElementalX-P-1.14.zip for Pixel XL
          2. twrp-3.0.2-0-RC1-fastboot-marlin.img
          3. twrp-pixel-installer-marlin-3.0.2-0-RC2.zip
          4. Magisk-v13.3-Pixel-b4.zip
          5. MagiskManager-5_1_1.apk
          6. Magisk-uninstaller-20170720.zip
        • Flash Boot.img - If you have TWRP, SuperSU, or a custom kernel installed.
          1. Extract the contents of your factory image and open the folder it creates. From there, extract the second archive (image-marlin-aaa99a.zip)
            Then open that folder and copy the boot.img file and paste it into the platform-tools folder.
          2. Boot Bootloader
          3. Connect the phone to your computer
          4. Open a Command Prompt on your computer.
          5. Type the following command at the prompt:
            Code:
            fastboot flash boot --slot all boot.img
          6. When it finishes, leave the command prompt window open, your phone in bootloader mode and connected to your computer.
        • Install TWRP
          1. Place twrp-3.0.2-0-RC1-fastboot-marlin.img in your platform-tools folder and Rename it twrp.img
          2. Type the following command at the prompt:
            Code:
            fastboot boot twrp.img
          3. When TWRP boots, tap the Install button and select twrp-pixel-installer-marlin-3.0.2-0-RC2.zip
          4. Swipe the slider to install
          5. Press the back button until you are on TWRP's main menu select Reboot > Recovery.
        • Flash the ZIPs
          1. Disconnect your phone from your Computer.
          2. Tap the Install button, then navigate to the files you downloaded.
          3. Select the Magisk Uninstaller.zip, tap the Add more ZIPs button.
          4. Select the twrp-pixel-installer-marlin-3.0.2-0-RC2.zip.
          5. Swipe to install
          6. Reboot Recovery
          7. Tap the Install button select a Custom Kernel: ElementalX-P-1.1x.zip or Franco's Kernel-r1x.zip.
          8. Tap Add more ZIPs button select Magisk-v13.3-Pixel-b4.zip, tap the Add more ZIPs button and select: twrp-pixel-installer-marlin-3.0.2-0-RC2.zip
          9. Swipe to install
            Note: During the Installation of ElementalX, ElementalX's AROMA installer interface, will require your input: So, tick I agree, then tap Next a few times and press Install ElementalX when prompted.
          10. When ElementalX AROMA installer finishes, tap Next, and Finish. After, the other ZIPs are installed.
          11. Reboot System
            Note: If you're prompted to install the TWRP app at this point, remove check marks from two check boxes and select Do Not Install.
        • Install MagiskManager
          1. Install Magisk Manager (5.1.1.apk)
          2. Wipe data on Magisk Manager
          3. Enable Magisk Hide
          4. Enable Core Only Mode
          5. Toggle on and off systemless hosts
        • Reboot system
        • Check for Latest Version, Root, and Saftey Net.
      8. Update Magisk Dirty Flash

1. Download file:Flash the ZIPs
      9. Custom ROMs for Pixel/Pixel XL
      10. Install Custom Kernel

• Franco's Kernel - SuperSu
          1. Download file:
          2. Boot into TWRP
          3. Press Install button select the file you downloaded
          4. Swipe slider to install
          5. Reboot System
        • ElementalX-PXL-1.xx by flar2 Kernel - SuperSU
          1. Download files:
          2. Flash ElementalX zip in TWRP recovery (do not flash SuperSU-v2.82-201705271822.zip again if you're already rooted).
            • During the Installation, ElementalX's AROMA installer interface, will require your input: So, tick I agree, then tap Next a few times and tap Install ElementalX when prompted.
            • When ElementalX AROMA installer finishes, tap Next, and then Finish.
              Note: If you're prompted to install the TWRP app at this point, remove check marks from two check boxes and select Do Not Install.
        • Franco's Kernel or ElementalX-PXL-1.xx by flar2 Kernel - Magisk
      11. Install Substratum Theme

12. Return to Stock and Lock Bootloader

• Return to Stock
          1. Backup your data and Internal storage
          2. Download the appropriate factory image for your phone and carrier.
          3. Unzip factory Image
          4. Copy the following files to the platform-tools folder on your Computer
            • flash-all.bat
              • Verify -w is present in flash-all.bat. Example: fastboot -w update image-marlin-aaa9.999999.999.zip
            • bootloader-marlin-9999-999999-9999999999.img
            • radio-marlin-9999-999999-9999999999.img
            • image-marlin-aaa99a.zip
          5. Boot Bootloader
          6. Connect phone to Computer with USB cable
          7. Open a Command Prompt on your computer.
          8. Type the following command at the prompt.
            Code:
            flash-all
        • Lock Bootloader

1. Phone
          2. Boot Bootloader
          3. Connect your phone to your Computer with USB cable.
          4. Computer
          5. Open a Command Prompt on your computer.
          6. Type the following at the prompt:
            Code:
            fastboot flashing lock
          7. When it finishes the bootloader is locked.
          8. The next step won't be needed if your Pixel XL reboots into system after bootloader relock.
          9. You need to boot into system now, either press Power button to reboot OR issue the following command:
            Code:
            fastboot reboot
          10. When your phone reboots disconnect your usb cable.
      13. Audio Mod

Intro
      The purpose of this thread is twofold:
      First, it is for Pixel XL owners that want to Root their phone, and enjoy the benefits of rooting it without installing a custom ROM...

If you follow the instructions above you should not have to worry about slot a/b.

If you are installing Custom ROM this thread is not for you. You, should follow the installation instructions of the Custom ROM you want to install.

A few things that may make this a bit confusing for users.

Your steps work fine for users that want to use custom roms. This is because unlocking, flashing, twrp, flashing SU and flashing a rom are independent.

So basically someone can follow your steps to get their device to a state that flashing roms is possible. The other thing is why do you have them flash radio and boot loader separately? When they download the factory image it has a flash all bat that flashes everything for them.

Also if any of these users are coming from the O beta your steps will not work because they will have factory flash in both A and B slots.. Or at least flash bootloader and boot.img in both slots.

Lastly you dont need the huge android sdk for the latest ADB and fastboot..

Google provides ADB and Fastboot in a 4mb package here: https://developer.android.com/studio/releases/platform-tools.html
      we already have guides though

can't hurt to have an updated guide for those too lazy to read.. so many posts about "this guide is out of date" or "i dont have time to read 6 pages about other people's experiences"
      SuperSU v2.82 SR2
      I think I asked the wrong question so let's start again.
      My phone has the current factory firmware (July) and is rooted.
      The boot slot is a.

I want to install a Custom ROM ex., PureNexus:
      What are the steps to install the ROM, vendor.img, gapps, root (SuperSu/Magisk), kernel, trwp.zip.
      Also, please include instructions on how to set a slot active via adb/twrp. There are a lot of novices when it comes to flashing a Custom ROM, including me. All the thanks, credit, and recognition will go to you. :)

I'm gonna assume your other slot is at least bootable
      Boot into recovery
      Factory reset
      Flash ROM
      Flash twrp
      Reboot recovery
      Flash vendor
      Flash super user (if you flash magisk you need to flash twrp after it before you reboot)
      Boot ROM

There are no gapps for pure nexus but if you needed to flash them do it after you flash the ROM and have rebooted once.

If want to use your current slot because you know its good. Boot into recovery. Go into reboot and select the opposite slot. Then choose to reboot into recovery and perform the steps I listed above.