[CLOSED] Mod edit!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

andrew2432

[UPDATE]

after getting fired and gronking my phone (ottorbox defender of course) I knocked the piece next to the headphone jack out of place. After putting/plugging this back in, stock recovery/boot partition is now available. It should work now! Thank you everyone!

mhd_

Oct 6, 2018
Update from 8.0 to 8.1

Hello,
When I go to the settings, it says that android 9 is available to update. But I want 8.1. I am currently on android 8.0

mhd_

Oct 6, 2018

mhd_

Oct 6, 2018
Thanks, I don't want root. Could you elaborate on the first steps?

Last edited by a moderator:

mhd_

Oct 6, 2018
I understand the steps, I have some questions:

Do I have to download the July 8.1 OTA image?

Can I use the same method to put an older version on my pixel?

Last edited by a moderator:

~Searcher~

May 6, 2013
Hi All,
"Prerequisites

• A Google Pixel XL or Verizon Pixel XL phone with an unlocked bootloader. "
Could someone please explain the core logic what is the difference if phone is with LOCKED bootloader? Is it then just possible to use any exploit or in worse case physically flash proper bootloader into PROM Chip? Is any way at all (including physically reflash Chip) to place needed OEM Unlocked bootloader?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Mod edit: Thread closed on request of OP @Homeboy76! Oswald Boelcke, Senior Moderator
    Its G-2PW2100. I guess I will RMA asap. I wonder why they would be selling this model in Europe. Thank you very much.

My Pixel XL purchased by me from Google Store unlocked perfectly and has been flawless since I got it. Its model number G-2PW2100. It is not Verizon. You may have other issues.
    I'm stuck here:

7: Root with Magisk - Pass SafetyNet Clean Install
    H: Type Code:
    fastboot boot twrp.img at the Command Prompt and press enter.

twrp.img is in the same folder, but I get:

error: cannot load 'twrp.img' : No such file or directory.

Any idea why it cannot find it?

Happened to me too on Windows 10. Windows 10 hides the extension so if you renamed it twrp.img it is actually twrp.img.img just change the name in your folder to twrp. Then when you use the fastboot command twrp.img should now work
    Hey Homeboy, glad to see you're keeping up with updates wonderfully and even appropriately separating out 8.1 vs 8.0 . Instructions overall are great but I do have to agree that some clarifications on Steps 4 through 7 would really help. Not sure if you remember but I helped you with renaming the forum, so maybe I can help with the index names again to be more user friendly, which I agree is tough when there's so much information.
    My suggestions are italicized

Index #3 Unlock Bootloader (One-time only)
    - I would also link the official google developers guide as it has some informative info for relocking and different commands for other pixel models. https://developers.google.com/android/images#instructions
    Index #4 Install Factory Image keep or wipe data (UPDATE to latest Image - Note: this will Remove ROOT/Custom recovery (e.g. TWRP) & Reverts back to Stock)
    - confusion for me mostly starts here at the end after #4 1. e. or #4.2.f. as it doesn't say where to go from there to reroot or flash recovery. Ideally I think it should say it will reboot into system after which you will reboot back into bootloader (adb reboot bootloader) and continue with Index Step #6A? or Step #6L.

Index #5 ADB Sideload (Optional alternative OTA method, Not recommended)
    -mention if step #6 is relevant here because I'm seeing you need to Unroot by fastbooting the boot.img file. In fact if Index Step#6 is only necessary for this I'd combine the two steps into one. (#5 & #6 -> #5). However if Not, then clarify what #6 is for...

Index #6 Extract boot.img from Factory Image and fastboot boot.img (Unroot/Revert to stock Boot.Img)

Index #7 Root with Magisk - Pass SafetyNet Clean Install -> Install TWRP Recovery & Reroot with Magisk - Pass SafetyNet (Optionally install Custom Kernels)
    -Clean Install should be obvious, but honestly it's not here cause Clean Install usually means wiped data Stock Factory Image.... It could also be meant here as the first time Magisk is installed (a clean install of Magisk)...
    -Users simply want to know how to reroot with Safety net after updating to latest OTA, so keep it simple. Also write down somewhere that this procedure works for First time root and reroot, and to look at Index # 9 if specifically looking to update Magisk after root is achieved.
    -Other part that definitely needs fixing is all the references to Skip. I went straight to Root with Magisk (Skip M1) However Index#7 M is Reboot Recovery (there is no M1, or M1b, or M2). I think you might have meant N1 N1b and N2..
    -#7B2a needs to be clarified. It says TWRP 3.2.1-0 (which is outdated). I think you just need to remove part a as part b and c are correct.
    - I guess Index#7 C is the part that should be clear on the headings of #4 and #6 (that those are the two ways to apply factory images and revert Stock before rooting). Sadly we see this step after going through 4 and 6 confusion, this is where you need to decide if these Indices are going to be Substeps and Users follow that (Like I personally see Step #4, #6L, and #7 to achieve Updating to latest OTA Factory image and regaining TWRP/Magisk Systemless Root/Safetynet for GooglePay etc..) Or.... aggregating them like you did in Step #7 (titled root with Magisk, but really starting with backing up, getting factory image, twrp... ). Either way works but having both is confusing due to the headings. For me I followed #4, #6 again cause it seemed necessary for #6L (and stated again in #7C and Magisk... then #7 skipping the repeated information... right into #7 D.
    - Oh man, you completely forgot to mention when and how to install Magisk This should be After Step M. Now that I'm looking at it this is because I skipped over the Optional Step 7N. Simply change #7 N 1 to #7 N Install Custom Kernel (Optional) Yes. Then Change Step #7 N 2 to #7 O Install Magisk without Custom Kernel. and rename #7O to #7P etc..

Index#10 [Magisk] Systemless Xposed v89.2/v90.1-beta3 (SDK 21-27) (Does not Pass SafetyNet Check, Use SDK 27 for Android Oreo)

I hope this helps and feel free to message me if you want me to help any way further. You can always look back at Heisenbergs older guides to see how he kept headings clear so people knew what the steps would do.
    For Xposed I already included it when I first mentioned it here
    Here it is again: https://xdaforums.com/xposed/unofficial-systemless-xposed-t3388268
    As for Xposed modules you can donwload them inside Xposed download manager just like Magisk does.
    Direct download link for XPrivacyLua: http://repo.xposed.info/module/eu.faircode.xlua
    Source for XPrivacyLua: https://github.com/M66B/XPrivacyLua
    Direct download for "No Device Check": http://repo.xposed.info/module/com.pyler.nodevicecheck
    Source for "No Device Check": https://github.com/pylerSM/NoDeviceCheck
    All Xposed modules: http://repo.xposed.info/module-overview
    No sure why you say that, I have already used the Thanks button.
    Thanks.png
    Again I don't know why you're saying that I don't see Thanks on my post
    NoThanks.png

Perhaps the board is having problems displaying the Thanks on poster's own posts.

Thanks
    BB