[GUIDE][PROJECT CROISSANT] Installing official Chrome OS on any device (PC/PC-like)

Search This thread

slobo2712

Jul 24, 2011
Banja Luka, RS
What i am doing wrong? tnx

Attachments

• IMG-e400e9e483eefc66e9312621abe5d140-V.jpg
    IMG-e400e9e483eefc66e9312621abe5d140-V.jpg
    173.5 KB · Views: 335

AndroidNazi

Jul 24, 2017
I am successfully on chrome os on my thinkpad t420 but my play store won't work and the window to enable Linux apps is stuck on installing Linux. Everything else works just fine.

rakesh0385

Sep 20, 2018
London
So i changed hdmi cable to dvi and it was needed fix.

This! I was trying all sorts of SO and KO hacks to get nvdia/radeon GPUs work with Chrome OS. My old Nvidia card (GTS450) was working fine under Chromium but not after flashing recovery files. lets me get to terminal though. I'm getting a lot of these: https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=576409
Fixed some permission issues by making /dev exec as per http://wiki.reveldigital.com/chromium-nvidia-build but gave up in the end. was disappointed until your comment.

On the side note, I got the whole thing in VMware (via Fyde OS) with lots of hacks but could not get Android and Linux containers running. Probably it needs nesting in VM.

---------- Post added at 06:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:47 PM ----------

What i am doing wrong? tnx

You copied it to windows which messed up the encoding. Save it for "*nix" get atom and this plugin: https://atom.io/packages/line-ending-converter

---------- Post added at 06:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:48 PM ----------

I am successfully on chrome os on my thinkpad t420 but my play store won't work and the window to enable Linux apps is stuck on installing Linux. Everything else works just fine.

Have you enabled Virtualisation in BIOS?

Last edited:

@kitokit

Mar 15, 2017
Hi guys i was lurking here for a while .
Maybe this post will help someone else to get chrome os working.
I would like to share my expierience making it work on my Desktop PC with intel i5 6400 and geforce 1060.
I was using https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=78162663&postcount=69 guide by @TristanP13 (thank you kind person)
So my first attempt when made Chromium usb with win32diskimager was "WUUUT nothing is working, black screen",
flashed it on usb few times different builds from Arndoldthebat. Nothing has worked.
Finally ended with Arnoldthebat special build but it wasnt working too.
And i thought about chromebooks have no descrete graphic cards, so i enabled intel integrated gpu, connected monitor to mainboard and everything worked good with live USB.
Another thing to remember is to REMOVE live USB when installed chromium on hdd .
Chromium booted worked and was nice:)
Next thing I do not have 2 big capacity USB disks, but have ubuntu on other Hdd so i worked it out mounting my other disk with recovery images and chromefy script (nested in some folders XDXD) and everything worked nice.
REMOVED LIVE USB (XD) and booted to chrome os fine.
Then i realized all colors are washed out and it was like brightness set to nearly maximum. So searched google and found that some chromebooks had this issue when secondary monitor was connected by hdmi (damn).
So i changed hdmi cable to dvi and it was needed fix.
Android apps working. Linux working( waiting for new nice features :) )
also thanks @alesimula for this whole idea!!
Can I know what arnoldthebat special build you use? I use r67 and r 64 but I can get pass through installation, my laptop just turns off right away after cromuim logo appears...I have a Nvidia gpu gt630. 64 bit.

gerciolisz

Feb 22, 2013
Gdańsk
Can I know what arnoldthebat special build you use? I use r67 and r 64 but I can get pass through installation, my laptop just turns off right away after cromuim logo appears...I have a Nvidia gpu gt630. 64 bit.

i used latest daily special Cx86OS_R60-9592.B-Special.7z but dont remember now.. i'll tell you in 1 hour when i get back home

Edit :It was latest specjal buliild
Camd64OS_R69-10895.B-Special.7z

Last edited:
Reactions: @kitokit

@kitokit

Mar 15, 2017
Yup you are right it was build Camd64OS_R69-10895.B-Special.7z

latest 64bit

sorry for mess XD
I also did use that build but with no luck, my laptop just turns off right away after cromuim and installation screen, but when I tried cloudready it was working fine....any suggestions? This Nvidia graphics card is really an issue. But in arnoldthebat forrums they said it was working with build R64 and up.. maybe not all Nvidia cards are supported. Really wanna try this crome os.

---------- Post added at 09:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:31 PM ----------

Use amd64 image for 64 bit PCs
Is it possible to use 32 bit build in a 64 bit machine? Would it matter?

Last edited:

slobo2712

Jul 24, 2011
Banja Luka, RS
This! I was trying all sorts of SO and KO hacks to get nvdia/radeon GPUs work with Chrome OS. My old Nvidia card (GTS450) was working fine under Chromium but not after flashing recovery files. lets me get to terminal though. I'm getting a lot of these: https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=576409
Fixed some permission issues by making /dev exec as per http://wiki.reveldigital.com/chromium-nvidia-build but gave up in the end. was disappointed until your comment.

On the side note, I got the whole thing in VMware (via Fyde OS) with lots of hacks but could not get Android and Linux containers running. Probably it needs nesting in VM.

---------- Post added at 06:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:47 PM ----------

You copied it to windows which messed up the encoding. Save it for "*nix" get atom and this plugin: https://atom.io/packages/line-ending-converter

---------- Post added at 06:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:48 PM ----------

Have you enabled Virtualisation in BIOS?

Tnx for solving that problem.Now i got this issue ..?
...does not have system partition (corrupted)
aborting

https://imgur.com/a/9lyjz1f

IMG_20181123_214132.jpg

Last edited:

danideb

Jul 3, 2011
many, many, many thanks!

it works out of the box on a 5 years old asus little notebook
all funcionalities active, play store and linux apps ok, chrome os experience without problems
and a Windows-dying pc has now come back to life :)
thanks for this work!

tide1109

Sep 18, 2016
Hmm, no I didn't, but I was thinking that I wouldn't need it because there's no TPM module on my NUC DC3217IYE ...
And like I said everything boots fine, wifi connects, sound is ok, but it won't login ...

I tought it too. My laptop seems to have TPM neither.
I also had internet via wifi or ethernet and not logged in.

Then I used the caroline recovery and it worked for me.

primod808

Mar 5, 2011
TOYOHASHI
it works out of the box on a 5 years old asus little notebook
all funcionalities active, play store and linux apps ok, chrome os experience without problems
and a Windows-dying pc has now come back to life :)
thanks for this work!

Mau I ask what are your specs on your 5 year old Asus notenook? Thanks.

nabil2000

Sep 12, 2005
London
Rising my interest

I got my own thread on this - but could not get crostini working as per the latest recovery ROM/s I used R69 - recovery ROM R70 has not yet been released & might solve this-

For me I have Acer C720P which I get having a working Android with Play Store as per latest cyan (Chromebook R11 recovery) R69, but no crostini - I suspect crostini will be working in R70.
I use arnoldthebat R55 to get it working, any above R60 will not work on Acer CB C720P

Other two devices I have are Acer Iconia W700 - using Acer CB C740 recovery ROM - all works...

& BBen ICS Compute stick Clone - using same as above, but no sound (need external USB sound solution)

I am interested in getting crostini just out of curiosity on the C720P chromebook (though crouton works perfectly & is more powerful than crostini)...

Ref. - my thread
https://forum.xda-developers.com/ha...chromebook-acer-c720p-getting-google-t3805304

---------- Post added at 01:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:47 AM ----------

Can anyone access chrome://flags?
I could only access flags on an original Chromebook, not an ordinary PC/Laptop/Tablet...

escape1975

Nov 19, 2018
Looks like it's working pretty good on my DC3217IYE including the play store ...

I used 10895.78.0_fizz and 10895.78.0_caroline on top of Arnoldthebat R69-10895.

Once in a while there's an issue with the Intel WiFi but it looks like a known problem,
as well as when it boots it sits on the white screen unless you press escape few times.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    is this project still live?
    Yes, check telegram group.
    link on first page
    r2ZCej0.png
    CHROME OS ON ANY DEVICE

About Project Croissant (formerly known as Ć̸h̷̢̡r̢͝o̡҉ḿ̴̢̧e̷͜҉f̡͝y͝͞͡͡)

This project is aimed at making Chrome OS (the official releases by google) available for any non-chromebook devices (ATM The device must be able to boot from live USB, this excludes most Android-only devices);
    The steps can also be followed on a chromebook, to install an image with android and linux support.
    The script uses an official Chrome OS image, while it uses the Kernel and GRUB bootloader from another Chromium OS distribution (EX: ArnoldTheBat builds).
    This project has an official GitHub/Wiki page, a Telegram group, a Twitter page and is the result of many ideas and contributions.
    Please fill this survey to let us know whether Chromefy works (or doesn't) on your device

Required files

• An official Chrome OS recovery image (downloads on the right; RECOMMENDED: eve (best) or pyro are the most complete images [must be from the same chipset vendor (Ex: Intel, ARM or RockChip); If eve/pyro doesn't work, try an image from a device with a similiar chipset as your own]
    • Another Chrome OS recovery image from a TPM 1.2 device (EX: caroline or kip) or the swtpm.tar file (swtpm TPM2 emulator needs VTPM proxy support in kernel) (this step is only needed if using an image from TPM2 device to fix a login issue, which is most likely the case for newer ones)
    • An image from a Chromium OS distribution (EX: ArnoldTheBat builds).
    • The Chromefy installation script.

Installation guide (Partition method)

For method 1 (bootable USB image generation) check this video guide:

Method 2-B (chromium OS root partition conversion) described below:
    Other methods described in the official GitHub/Wiki page.
    This procedure will install Chrome OS on top of a Chromium OS kernel, you will thus need to install a Chromium OS distribution on your device first;
    RECOMMENDED: ArnoldTheBat builds
    NOTE: CloudReady builds are not yet supported due to a different partitioning scheme and incompatible kernel

If you consider this guide too generic, try reading a more comprehensive guide

1. Flash the selected Chromium OS build on a live USB, boot into the live USB and install it on your HDD/SSD by typing the following command on the shell
      Code:
      sudo /usr/sbin/chromeos-install --dst [COLOR=Blue]YOURDRIVE[/COLOR] [COLOR=DeepSkyBlue](Ex: /dev/sda)[/COLOR]
      now make sure the your chromium HDD/SSD installation is working before proceeding.
    2. Resize the third partition of your sdX drive (EX: sda3 inside sda) from its current size to atleast 4GB; I suggest using Gparted live USB to resize it; you can either downsize sdX1 (data partition) or delete the sdX5 partition (we won't need it) to get more unallocated space.
    3. Boot from your live USB again, make sure you have your Chrome OS images available and run the installation script with the following command
      Code:
      sudo bash /path/to/chromefy.sh [COLOR="blue"]YOURSYSTEMPARTITION[/COLOR][COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"](EX: /dev/sda3)[/COLOR] /path/to/chosenchromeosbuild.bin /path/to/carolinebuild.bin_OR_swtpm.tar
    4. Don't leave live USB yet, make a powerwash (manually) by typing
      Code:
      sudo mkfs.ext4 [COLOR="Blue"]YOURDATAPARTITION[/COLOR][COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"](Ex: /dev/sda1)[/COLOR]

You can now reboot and enjoy your new "chromebook" :D

Images supporting swtpm TPM2 emulator

FAQ
    • Can I dualboot with Windows/Linux?
      Yes, but it's a little more complicated
    • Will this ever work on CloudReady?
      We don't know, nor we have any ETAs. There's currently a repartitioned image (still not working with chromefy)
    • My motion sensors do not work, how do I rotate the screen?
      Laptop mode/keyboard connected: press ctrl+shift+f3
      Tablet mode: use this app by Andrew Whaley (source) (check out his blog)
    • Linux apps (crostini) are not working at all, how do i fix it?
      Go check if you have enabled all virtualization related option in your BIOS (Ex: "Intel Virtualization", "VT-x", "VT-e" etc...) (you should)
    • Do automatic updates work? How to update?
      Not at the moment, and it's unlikely we find a workaround; you can update by ONLY repeating step 3 (without step 4).
    • ChromiumOS works on live USB but not HDD, what to do?
      Did you remove the USB before rebooting the fist time? If you did NOT, you might need to reinstall it. If you did, try using fix_grub.sh
    • Some apps (ex: Netflix) do not show up in the Play Store, how do I fix it?
      Read next answer
    • SafetyNet check fails, why?
      For SafetyNet not to break you need two things, leave selinux on enforcing when chromefying (only working on Pie, otherwise will break android container) and disable "cros_debug" in the grub launcher to boot without developer mode (Custom images [ex: CloudRadish] have custom boot entries for this)
    • ChromeOS flags are not showing up, why?
      Try opening the chrome://flags page in incognito mode.

Alternatives
    FydeOS

Fyde OS is a Chromium OS based operating system that comes with Android apps; if you don't want to bother with the hassle of running the chromefy script and just want an OS that works out of the box, this might be for you.
    ...Also the developers are awesome :D

ArnoldTheBat

Does not come with Android apps (yet), but he's awesome too, so there's that

Credits
    • allanin for all of his ideas on Arnoldthebat discussion, most part of the code is from him
    • TCU14 for upgrading, and the MultiBoot guide
    • Dnim Ecaep from the Telegram Group for the shell command to change the SELINUX to permissive
    • Diogo from the Telegram Group for the corrections on the firmware migration
    • Danii from the Telegram Group for the work on the TPM bypass method and TPM2 emulation method
    • sublinhado for writing down the steps needed for the TPM bypass method
    • alesimula for the installation script
    • Giedrius Tamošiūnas (liolka) for the custom chromium kernels
    • ++ some poor unlisted guys
    Tried that some time ago and never worked for me as well as this method, also this one let's you have Crostini with the new recovery images that have tpm protection.

That is simply a hardware based issue and not selecting the right build. I admit my project needs more work but even the github page tells you to use a build close to your own hardware. Also the TPM is bypassed and not a functioning part of the OS in this regard the same as mine, from a quick look anyway.

All this does is the exact same as my script but you have to download a lot of other crap too, my script does it all for you. This seems a rather long method to get the exact same thing.

Mine also doesn't require any messing with partitions, even between upgrading to newer versions.
    Amazing. Just confirming whether Google play store work in this?

Awesome work!
    Does it work with FydeOS builds?

Play Store (and crostini) works.

And yes, you can install it over FydeOS;
    Some users report Arnold kernel working better for them, for others it's Fyde, so just test both to find the best one for your device
    I'm using ArnoldTheBat's Chromium OS from a USB drive on Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro, I wonder if I can install Chrome OS on top of it to the same USB drive? I want to keep my Windows 10 on the SSD intact and don't want to install Chromium on the different partition of the same SSD, because Windows update will inevitably mess up Chromium sooner or later. The laptop has 2 USB ports, so I would be able to use another USB drive if needed. I think many people would be grateful if someone wrote instructions on how to do it on a USB drive instead of a multiboot on one SSD/HDD. Thanks!
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone